Author Topic: FacePunch Me  (Read 321290 times)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
Re: FacePunch Me
« Reply #550 on: December 20, 2016, 04:34:30 PM »
I fell in love with this venomous spaz beast, which now lives in my house and chews on my face.

I regret nothing.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #551 on: December 20, 2016, 05:45:12 PM »
GrimSqueaker, your dog is the best part of my morning so far.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #552 on: December 20, 2016, 06:07:18 PM »
I fell in love with this venomous spaz beast, which now lives in my house and chews on my face.

I regret nothing.

Best puppy ever.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #553 on: December 23, 2016, 01:01:36 AM »
Last month I did my math too early and forgot some credit card charges when I paid it off 'completely'. I was off by 200$ (the stuff charged on last day of the financial cicle) and got hit by 45$ of interests, for the first time since I own a credit card. So fucking pissed right now.

Can you call and beg and ask for them to comp the charges?

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #554 on: December 23, 2016, 01:02:53 AM »
Super-cute dog TGS!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #555 on: December 27, 2016, 09:19:39 AM »

I regret nothing.

I did the same thing the day after you did!

Also, no regrets.

FIT_Goat

• Stubble
« Reply #556 on: December 27, 2016, 06:39:55 PM »
I was going to start a new thread, but this one fits.  It's not completely my choice, but it's on my current "wish list" for things to change.

My wife and I pay $220.31 a month for theme park annual passes (Disney World and Universal Studios).  That's around $100,000 wasted over the next 20 years, assuming we invested that amount instead of spending it on the tickets.  We have a six-figure issue in our future budget!

I've broached this topic with my wife.  She didn't receive it well.  I was bluntly told that I could have that $100k in 20 years or still be married to her.  It could not be both.  This has always been an issue.  I've always been anti-passes.  Before we were married, I refused to buy them.  My wife works, and she bought them for her, her son, and me.  I told her it was not something I thought was a good use of the money.  She told me it was her money, and she would spend it as she wanted.  This is the same attitude that she has today, even after we've been married and had combined finances for two years.  She says the tickets come out of "her" income and not mine, ignoring the fact that is it "our" income.

I want to change.  I am working on it.  I have her almost ready to cancel the Universal passes (we use those less).  It would save us $74.11 a month, if it happened.

We do use the Disney passes, at least once a month.  We live close enough that it's not super-expensive to go.  It's maybe $15 in gas, and we bring our own food and make a day out of it.  That's still $15 we could spend on something else.

Anyway, go ahead and mock my lack of Mustachian Manliness to force my wife to get on board with my desire to cut the excess.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #557 on: December 28, 2016, 12:28:04 AM »
I was going to start a new thread, but this one fits.  It's not completely my choice, but it's on my current "wish list" for things to change.

My wife and I pay $220.31 a month for theme park annual passes (Disney World and Universal Studios).  That's around $100,000 wasted over the next 20 years, assuming we invested that amount instead of spending it on the tickets.  We have a six-figure issue in our future budget!

I've broached this topic with my wife.  She didn't receive it well.  I was bluntly told that I could have that $100k in 20 years or still be married to her.  It could not be both.  This has always been an issue.  I've always been anti-passes.  Before we were married, I refused to buy them.  My wife works, and she bought them for her, her son, and me.  I told her it was not something I thought was a good use of the money.  She told me it was her money, and she would spend it as she wanted.  This is the same attitude that she has today, even after we've been married and had combined finances for two years.  She says the tickets come out of "her" income and not mine, ignoring the fact that is it "our" income.

I want to change.  I am working on it.  I have her almost ready to cancel the Universal passes (we use those less).  It would save us $74.11 a month, if it happened.

We do use the Disney passes, at least once a month.  We live close enough that it's not super-expensive to go.  It's maybe $15 in gas, and we bring our own food and make a day out of it.  That's still $15 we could spend on something else.

Anyway, go ahead and mock my lack of Mustachian Manliness to force my wife to get on board with my desire to cut the excess.

What is it about Disney that she loves so much? Maybe you could convince her to don a mermaid tail and be employed as Ariel instead?

This way she can get her Disney fix and be paid for it as well?

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #558 on: December 28, 2016, 05:37:56 AM »

This is a roundabout way of doing it, but might she be convinced to give up the passes for a year and put the money towards a different concrete goal? I have some friends who are hardcore Disney fans that didn't do the passes for a year because they wanted to go to France instead. They did go back to having passes the year after that, but that was also how they chose to spend their money as a couple.

The issue of "her income" versus "our money" is a bit of a red herring - the park passes are really, really important to her. They were important to her before you were married and are still important to her now. It's not about the money to her, it's about an idea. Talk to her about that idea more, present it not that you want to get rid of the passes but that you want to understand better what she's getting out of it. Is it the making memories part? Would a beach vacation work for that, as a change of pace? Is it that it's a break from the weekday routine but is an easy get away since you all have done it so much (no trying to figure out hotel rooms or where there might be food)?

FIT_Goat

• Stubble
« Reply #559 on: December 28, 2016, 08:30:30 AM »
You're all being supportive.  Where's my face punch?!  LOL

My wife was raised with annual vacations to Disney, from a faraway state.  She loves Disney.  It is her favorite place out of anything.  I think it reminds her of happier and carefree times from her youth. When she moved here, that was something she wanted to give her son.  She wanted him to have 'magical' Disney memories.   How much does she love it?  Our honeymoon?  Yeah, we went to Disney Land for something different.  We did other stuff in California, but it was mainly about Disney Land.  I won't lie, it can be fun.  It is nice to know that you don't "need" to do anything if the lines are long or if the crowds are bad.  We get free parking and a 20% discount on most things in the park (which is still over-priced).  Sometimes we go just to walk the parks and people watch.  I can get 20,000-25,000 steps in walking around the parks.

It's a battle that I might never win.  I've accepted that.  My wife had compromised on the most important aspect of it, and that is that everything is cash-only**.  Our wedding and honeymoon didn't happen until we had the cash in the bank to pay for it out of pocket.  That was a big deal, as my wife was the kind of person who thought nothing of taking out a loan or financing big events on credit.  She's now on board with the saving first and spending later.  It didn't take long for her to realize how nice it can be to not live paycheck to paycheck or even ahead of your paychecks.

I think it is a little funny that you've suggested taking a year off on the passes for a bigger goal.  That's how I have got a "maybe" on cancelling the Universal Passes.  We don't use them for much of the year, except for Mardi Gras because she loves to go see the live bands.  I've got her on board for cancelling them after this year's Mardi Gras and we'll save the $75 a month and see if we feel it is worth restarting them.  The benefit to her is that, if we restart them, we'll have the money to switch to the higher passes (free front of the line tickets after 4pm, free waters, free Horror Nights tickets, and a little extra).  If we decide that it's not worth it, we can take the $750-$900 and do something special.  I've suggested that we can use it to fly and see a friend of ours that lives on the other side of the country and we haven't seen in a few years aside from online video chats.  She really likes that idea, because she says we should do it all the time but it hasn't been in our budget.

I really can't complain.  I knew who she was when we got married.  She's also not unwilling to consider my feelings and thoughts.  It's just the annual passes she won't move on.  But, I can find a way to bring in an extra couple hundred or cut an extra couple hundred in spending somewhere else.

**Cash-only in the sense that we have cash in the bank. We still use rewards credit cards, paid off in full each month, for the rewards and protections.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 08:32:33 AM by FIT_Goat »

FIT_Goat

• Stubble
« Reply #560 on: December 28, 2016, 08:40:09 AM »
What is it about Disney that she loves so much? Maybe you could convince her to don a mermaid tail and be employed as Ariel instead?

If we lived closer, I would totally encourage her to get a job at the Lego store at Disney Springs.  It would be her dream job, Disney and playing with legos.  But, the commute would be horrible.  From where we are, the only way into Disney is I-4 and a 20 mile stretch can take 40-50 minutes if you hit it at the wrong time.  We plan our trips so that we don't hit much traffic.  She couldn't do that if she had scheduled hours.  We'd have to move closer.  I won't suggest that to her, because the house would be on the market tomorrow.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #561 on: December 29, 2016, 11:47:06 AM »
I also married into disney craziness. Getting the concession that disney trips are "all cash" is an absolutely admirable one. But, man, they are indeed the high-cost, high-quality provider on the market.

Do you have flexibility to build a significant stock position in the company? Perhaps having dividends support your disney expenditures would be the way you win that game?

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #562 on: December 30, 2016, 12:08:59 AM »

With this attitude it sounds more like the Facepunch you need is for your upcoming divorce.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #563 on: December 30, 2016, 02:21:31 AM »

If we lived closer, I would totally encourage her to get a job at the Lego store at Disney Springs.  It would be her dream job, Disney and playing with legos.  But, the commute would be horrible.  From where we are, the only way into Disney is I-4 and a 20 mile stretch can take 40-50 minutes if you hit it at the wrong time.  We plan our trips so that we don't hit much traffic.  She couldn't do that if she had scheduled hours.  We'd have to move closer.  I won't suggest that to her, because the house would be on the market tomorrow.

40-50 minutes during peak time isn't really all that bad in my book to be honest. You can easily get stuck for 90 minutes in Sydney traffic driving that same distance at most times of the day.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #564 on: December 30, 2016, 11:07:22 PM »
I caved... was waiting an hour this morning for a store to open at the shopping centre.

Bought a chocolate smoothie. Paid $6 for a 300m glass.

Waaah. I figure I at least offset some of the cost by reading the Newspaper they had at the shop.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #565 on: December 31, 2016, 02:20:03 PM »
Some months ago I bought an airbnb room and a ticket to a NYE party. Tonight I have a head cold and can't hear anything.

The perfect end to the perfect holiday season.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #566 on: January 01, 2017, 01:00:13 PM »
Read the "Things my husband is not getting for Xmas" thread and proceeded to order Kirkland Signature socks on Amazon. Dammit good reviews!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #567 on: January 02, 2017, 05:07:36 PM »
Today... well, it was a stupid day all around. The boss told me we were open today and then everyone but me decided to take the day off without telling me... that sort of thing.

So, I left work a little early for obvious reasons. Left the building, walked to the subway, entered the subway using my monthly pass, walked all the way to the far end... before realizing I forgot my phone. (FOR THE THIRD TIME IN A WEEK even though I haven't forgotten it once in 5 years before that. WTAF, is this some kind of sudden-onset, extremely selective dementia?) Ugh. Decided to go back up because I wanted to make plans with a friend tonight and he doesn't do Facebook messenger. All the way out, back to the office building, up to the 10th floor, unlock the office, blah blah. Then all the way back down again, into the subway and, OF COURSE the unlimited subway pass won't work because I just used it, and there is some kind of time limit to prevent multiple people using it. I have never had this happen before and have no idea how long it locks you out. There was a woman standing by the turnstiles sympathizing with me because the exact same thing happened to her, except the first time she used her card, she was letting someone else use it as a favor (there are always poor/homeless/teenage etc. people begging for rides at certain stations). She didn't know how long it would take either.

So, I was too impatient/annoyed to wait it out and bought another card to swipe both of us through. $6.50 burned because I couldn't be bothered to wait an unknown but probably not terrible amount of minutes. (Well, I guess half burned because I'm an impatient asshole and half of it because I'm nice enough to help a stranger... maybe it averages out to normal.)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #568 on: January 03, 2017, 06:05:40 AM »
So, I was too impatient/annoyed to wait it out and bought another card to swipe both of us through. $6.50 burned because I couldn't be bothered to wait an unknown but probably not terrible amount of minutes. (Well, I guess half burned because I'm an impatient asshole and half of it because I'm nice enough to help a stranger... maybe it averages out to normal.)

I hate when that happens.  But I think it only locks you out for ~15 minutes, and if you explain what happened to an attendant, I've had a ~60% success rate of having them wave me through after checking to see that I'm not lying.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #569 on: January 04, 2017, 08:35:30 AM »
Finally got around to investing my HSA funds, after them sitting around deflating for two years (facepunch #1). Invest it all in VTI because its listed as not having commission fees. Realize too late that you have to enroll in the no-commission-fee program, otherwise you pay the fees (facepunch #2). Goodbye $20.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #570 on: January 08, 2017, 02:41:59 AM »
I had a $30 cheeseburger today. Lots of excuses, of course, but it all boils down to me not wanting to make the effort to find cheaper food during a snowstorm when I wasn't feeling well. Was at a music festival for six hours and hadn't eaten all day aside from some crackers with meds. I needed to take more medication on a not empty stomach. And my friends wanted to meet at a particular stage where they happened to serve food, and that's how much a regular cheeseburger cost there. Fuggit. Manhattan is nuts sometimes.

At least it was a genuinely excellent burger... And I guess I saved a few dollars by skipping breakfast and lunch.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #571 on: January 08, 2017, 03:05:58 AM »
At least it was a genuinely excellent burger...

This is the part I'm most happy about. :) I'd have been devastated for you if it was awful.

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #572 on: January 10, 2017, 01:45:28 PM »
I have to post this because, first and foremost, it's just so embarassing and facepunch worthy. And second, because I could see someone else getting into the same situation and maybe this will act as a word of caution. Who knows, maybe you all aren't so gullible.

Anyways, I moved from a small town of 35,000 to a larger town of 150,000, and then to a bustling metropolis of 5,000,000 (metro area) over the last few years. I guess I still haven't become hardened to big city life... So when a guy approached me on my walk to the subway after work Friday evening, and asked to borrow $90 to get his car towed to a shop before the city towed it to an impound lot, I agreed to help him out. In this situation, I would normally tell a person good luck and I'm sorry but I can't help, but it was really cold out that night and the dude wasn't wearing a coat, and I guess I just had some christmas spirit left over. He seemed nice enough, and I asked him a lot of questions about his situation which he answered so well that I completely believed he was telling the truth. He told me he worked at a barber shop near the subway station, the specific issue with his car, and his conversation with the business which he'd pulled into when it broke down. He wasn't even being very pushy which would usually trigger my instinct that he was trying to scam me. He offered his phone as collateral, but I told him to keep it so that he could call me to return my money. He said he'd call back in an hour....

Do I need to tell you how this story ended? I fell for the oldest trick in the book.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #573 on: January 11, 2017, 12:41:28 AM »
teadirt, I'm sorry to hear that you were taken advantage of ... your kindness overwhelms me <<<hugs>>>

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #574 on: January 11, 2017, 01:34:54 PM »
teadirt - If it makes you feel better, I did something similar a few years ago. Got flagged down by a couple guys standing by a car, on a highway ramp. They gave me their sob story about needing cash to get a tow truck, I had no cash on me, so one of them GOT IN MY CAR AND CAME WITH ME TO AN ATM. I probably gave them $80? Could have been $200 though, I really don't remember. I left the guy at the gas station (where ATM was) since he said the tow truck would pick him up there (suspicious? maybe). The thing is, I was entirely skeptical and assumed they were scamming me, though of course during the car ride I got the whole spiel about the series of unfortunate events that let to their situation. He said he wanted to try to pay me back, but a combination of disbelief and wanting the experience to be over caused me to decline. But I was a bleeding heart and figured even if it was all a lie, they needed the money more than I did.

I was fresh out of college, full of innocence and hope and optimism. Plus I did (and do still) have a deep discomfort with people who ask for money -- I'm painfully aware of how lucky I am to have been born to upper-middle class parents who raised me in a loving and abundant home, paid my college tuition, and provided far more financial assistance than I will likely give my own kids.  Thinking back, I would NEVER do it again, mostly due to being a young female not wanting to allow a strange man in my car.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #575 on: January 11, 2017, 01:56:01 PM »
I consider myself lucky that I learned my lesson on being scammed when I was about 20 years old and only $15 or $20 worth... you can never learn too early that everyone is out to get your money. ;-)

At least it was a genuinely excellent burger...

This is the part I'm most happy about. :) I'd have been devastated for you if it was awful.

It was definitely an outlier on the burger quality/price bell curve! I was surprised it was so good. I'm not sure I've ever had a good burger that cost more than $20 or so, since the only time I'd ever pay that is in a similar "held hostage by circumstances and/or poor planning" restaurant at some event I was attending where they don't care about repeat business.

My friend, of course, was trying to get me to get the steak because "it's only $5 more than the burger!"

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #576 on: January 11, 2017, 02:44:02 PM »
Thinking back, I would NEVER do it again, mostly due to being a young female not wanting to allow a strange man in my car.

Bingo.

I did a lot of long-distance, solo driving in my teens and 20s, and 'no strange men in the car' was non-negotiable.

SEAKSR

• Stubble
  • Great day for water landings!
« Reply #577 on: January 12, 2017, 02:01:33 PM »
Thinking back, I would NEVER do it again, mostly due to being a young female not wanting to allow a strange man in my car.

Bingo.

I did a lot of long-distance, solo driving in my teens and 20s, and 'no strange men in the car' was non-negotiable.
My sister and I were driving homeward from a movie (We lived in the stix) and passed a car broke down on the side of the road, ~10 miles from the nearest town, and a mile later saw two teenageish guys walking toward town. Stopped and picked them up, dropped them at the truck stop on the edge of town. This was before everyone and their brother had cell phones. Week and a half later read in the police reports that the two were arrested for b&e and GTA in the town we dropped them in, and were being transferred to the previous county along the highway to face assault charges.

Never picking up another hitchhiker as long as I live, unless I know them personally. Also, fully accepting facepunches for driving 60 miles one way to see a movie. Luckily, there is now one only 15 miles from where our parental units still live.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #578 on: January 12, 2017, 02:10:58 PM »
Just booked a reservation for a $40 dollar meal today, not counting wine, tax, and tip.  My city's county-wide "3 course meal for a set price at many fancy pantsy restaurants" event is rolling around again, and this time I couldn't resist.  $20-30 is already a pretty extravagant restaurant outing for me, and this is going to be probably double that.

It's going to be about a third of my monthly eating out budget (or a sixth of my overall food budget, which is already pretty extravagant) so I'm going to have to tighten my belt a little groceries-wise to make up.  Good thing I've started looking into donating plasma.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #579 on: January 12, 2017, 02:15:36 PM »
Made an error in my spreadsheet back in April that I just found today... typed a deposit of 2,000$ instead of the true 3,000$. Which means that in June, when I put another 3,5000$ into my TFSA, I ended up going 1k over the yearly limit.

Shit.

It's going to cost me for every month since then that my TFSA has been over the limit.

I'm removing the 1K now, but still, I'm an idiot.
Why will it cost you and how much will the charge be?

The TFSA is a tax-advantaged account with a maximum deposit yearly.

The fees are 1% per month of whatever you over-deposited (+whatever it gains). So 1000$ x 1% over 5 months will be approximately 50$ minimum, plus whatever gains that grand made over 5 months. Not enormous, but it's a stupid mistake that I shan't make again.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #580 on: January 15, 2017, 12:42:25 AM »
This morning when I left the house is accidentally turns my thermostat to "cool" when I intended to turn it off.  Since I never use the AC, the programmed schedule was wonky, but I think it set itself to 50 degrees after I left the house for at least a few hours.  The reason I'm not sure is when I returned it was 57 degrees but it was only a high of 60 today.  Anyways now all my thermal mass is cold and the furnace is burning to bring us back to par.  I'm a bit worried that I damaged the AC since I read it's bad to run it under 60 degrees (potentially).  I guess I should have taken out the fuse in the fall or at least set the thermostat schedule to something reasonable not 50.

Hopefully it only costs me like $10 and not an expensive AC repair (although I don't use it, I'd need to fix it if I ever sold the house and it's nice to have the option on 100 degree days

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #581 on: January 17, 2017, 09:32:59 AM »
I spent $89.27 at Au Bon Pain over a four day stretch on junk food. Facepunch me! In my defense, it was a trickle of round-the-clock snacks and meals while my first child was born and we were recovering.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #582 on: January 18, 2017, 02:02:21 AM »
I spent $89.27 at Au Bon Pain over a four day stretch on junk food. Facepunch me! In my defense, it was a trickle of round-the-clock snacks and meals while my first child was born and we were recovering.

Did you not read the warnings about kids being super-expensive? Congratulations and hope you are all well and happy. [Also, I bestow the forgiveness of the internet for the $89.27, it sounds like it was the right call]

tomatops

• Stubble
« Reply #583 on: January 19, 2017, 11:04:36 AM »
I just spent close to $7 at McDonalds for the novelty of "all-day breakfast" + bottle of water(!!! - this is the biggest sin of all) because I had finished a presentation feeling hungry, thirsty and gave up finding a fountain.

I hate the magical power of those golden arches.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #584 on: January 20, 2017, 06:52:07 AM »
I just spent close to $7 at McDonalds for the novelty of "all-day breakfast" + bottle of water(!!! - this is the biggest sin of all) because I had finished a presentation feeling hungry, thirsty and gave up finding a fountain.

Carlin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #585 on: January 21, 2017, 03:02:01 PM »
Last night I accepted 2 free kittens on a whim, and proceeded to spend about $60 getting a litter box, toys, giant bag of food, dishes, carrier, and litter.  (And a frozen pizza)  I will also have to get both of them fixed, and pay a $200 pet deposit on my apartment.  I will say though, they are freaking adorable, and it is tempering my baby fever.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #586 on: January 23, 2017, 09:48:51 AM »
After weeks, nay, months of lust I bought myself the AG sweatshirt endorsed by MsPeacock. To add damage, I bought a "Stadium blanket" as well. Ooops!

Penny McSave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #587 on: January 23, 2017, 10:05:51 AM »
Last night I accepted 2 free kittens on a whim, and proceeded to spend about $60 getting a litter box, toys, giant bag of food, dishes, carrier, and litter.  (And a frozen pizza)  I will also have to get both of them fixed, and pay a $200 pet deposit on my apartment.  I will say though, they are freaking adorable, and it is tempering my baby fever.

Pics or it didn't happen! ;D

You are excused from this. The sorcery of cuteness is impossible to resist when you've got double the fuzzy.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #588 on: January 23, 2017, 11:40:09 AM »

You are excused from this. The sorcery of cuteness is impossible to resist when you've got double the fuzzy.

Carlin cannot be excused without *first* posting a picture, so that we can all partake of the "squeee!".

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #589 on: January 23, 2017, 12:38:04 PM »
Stopped at a granola/vegan/paleo/juicery place on the way to work and got a $15.50 acai bowl. I discovered them (at Coffee & Art in the Gaslamp District) on a business trip in San Diego and fell in love. This one was good, but cost twice as much as the San Diego at about 2/3 the size. It was a one-time thing. I found frozen acai pulp at Trader Joe's so now I can make my own.

I don't feel too badly about it, since every person after me was greeted by name, meaning they buy the $11 juices, $15 bowls, and $8 coffees frequently.

Carlin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #590 on: January 23, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »

Carlin cannot be excused without *first* posting a picture, so that we can all partake of the "squeee!".

Okay, here you guys go, this is Soren and Hypatia:

Penny McSave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #591 on: January 24, 2017, 04:48:12 PM »
Appropriate meme attached. :D

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #592 on: January 26, 2017, 12:32:54 PM »
My budget for January is a disaster. I'm overbudget in food AND entertainment AND miscellaneous, to the tune of $300. :-(  And these are generous budgets where I usually come in underbudget. And the ridiculous thing is that I've had this "I shouldn't spend money" feeling all month because of job instability. WTF happened, self!? The month isn't even over yet! I still have a couple of things that might be expensive (like taking my parents out on Sunday).

$100+ in restaurant spending that was entirely stupid/poor planning/lack of willpower.
$120 for new shoes that I really needed.
$150+ unplanned charitable donations.
$120 renewing my webhosting (forgot to plan for that).
$70 gifts (didn't really plan for it).
$100 annual membership (but I feel good about that one since it will save me money in the long run).

My monthly budget is set up to absorb some of these things, but not all at once, I guess. I feel bad every time I see my Mint home page.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #593 on: January 26, 2017, 01:09:28 PM »
Sunk cost. No guilt. What will you do differently in February?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #594 on: January 26, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »
Sunk cost. No guilt. What will you do differently in February?

I don't think most of it will be at risk of popping up again. Definitely no new shoes, no gifts, no webhosting renewals, and probably no annual memberships (I think I've already renewed everything I need). I'm OK with making charitable donations as I feel necessary. The restaurant spending is the only one that really requires willpower and I'm usually pretty good at that.

Thinking about changing my food and misc categories in Mint to rolling over month to month. That way I could have lean months that make up for spendier months and not feel like I'm a Very Bad Person if my spending is lumpy. I always figured food and misc were categories where you didn't need to bother with that, unlike e.g. electric/heat which is very seasonal. But with lower/tighter budgets where one big blowout dinner is a substantial portion of your monthly food budget, it probably makes sense...?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #595 on: January 26, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »
Basically all my categories on Mint are set to roll over. I'll go in and reset the rollover to $0 when it gets too big. If I go over on groceries one month, its usually because I'm stocking up on things and will be significantly under budget the next month.

That makes sense. I combined all food purchases (restaurant, groceries, etc.) for similar reasons - when I first started budgeting I'd try to eat out at restaurants less, and then I kept going overbudget on groceries and feeling bad about it. But it was because I was eating at home more and spending less overall. With a combined budget I feel good about eating at home more because I see that my food spending is lower, instead of seeing higher grocery spending. (I realize it's a little irrational. I work with the psychology I've got!)

Now the question is do I punish myself by setting them to roll over now and having a $300 deficit to start with, or do I start on February 1st with a clean slate... :-)

I'm also thinking about starting a charity category instead of including that in misc. It feels weird to me to have charity linked, budgetwise, to buying new shoes or a new frying pan. I want to feel good about charity, not feel like it's a deprivation.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #596 on: January 28, 2017, 02:23:16 PM »

I'm also thinking about starting a charity category instead of including that in misc. It feels weird to me to have charity linked, budgetwise, to buying new shoes or a new frying pan. I want to feel good about charity, not feel like it's a deprivation.
[/quote]

I used to combine charity with personal shopping and dining out.   e..g,  For each dollar I spent on myself, I would spent 50 cents on charity.  It helped me reduce spending because the effective price of everything was at least 50% higher, e.g., instead of $120 pair of shoes, it was now in my mind as $180 pair of shoes... etc..   

I reasoned that if I could afford it for me, I could afford it for someone else, too.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #597 on: January 28, 2017, 04:20:05 PM »

I mind the food far less than I mind the bottled water. They will give you ice water for No Charge with your purchase and unlimited free refills. Why order it in an expensive bottle when you totally don't have to?

Bokonon_

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #598 on: February 02, 2017, 07:06:30 AM »
So I was biking to work and it was getting quite windy, the going was slow, temperature was not up to snuff, I was a bit tired, I was already late, etc.. Just then I passed the train station and decided that I could take the train for 2 stations and give me some well-deserved rest, because! I also decided that I needed no ticket (4.70€) for such a short 5-minutes ride. Of course the conductor didn't sympathize and that cost me 60€ for myself and another 60€ for my bike. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:10:22 AM by Bokonon_ »

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #599 on: February 02, 2017, 10:22:57 AM »

I mind the food far less than I mind the bottled water. They will give you ice water for No Charge with your purchase and unlimited free refills. Why order it in an expensive bottle when you totally don't have to?

This isn't universal. They charge for water at my McD's.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!