Author Topic: FacePunch Me  (Read 321256 times)

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Re: FacePunch Me
« Reply #450 on: July 08, 2016, 12:57:42 PM »
I got free lunch at work today but the deal was they paid for food and we pay for drinks, so I bought a glass of wine $7.50 aghhhhhh bad bad me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You...drank wine...and then went back to work? Huh? Is this the 1970s?

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #451 on: July 08, 2016, 01:02:15 PM »
Depends on where you live. In Italy it is common for alot of people to have wine or beer with lunch.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #452 on: July 08, 2016, 03:04:39 PM »
Ginormous hole in woven blanket got too big to ignore (my toes, dogs' paws getting stuck, etc.) Blankets on sale at Target nearby, went there, DIDN'T like the color, paid full price for SAME blanket, different color. Can you even see the freaking blanket under the quilt? No, but I would KNOW it was that weird pinky red instead of that nice blue. Oh yeah, that was worth an extra $18.

That's exactly the sort of thing I would do. Otherwise you buy the weird pinky red one, it bugs you every time you look at it, maybe in a year it gets too much for you and you decide to buy the blue one anyway.

I wouldn't necessarily say this for houses or cars, purchases <$100, buy the one you want and enjoy it.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
FacePunch Me
« Reply #453 on: July 09, 2016, 04:59:28 AM »
I got free lunch at work today but the deal was they paid for food and we pay for drinks, so I bought a glass of wine $7.50 aghhhhhh bad bad me

You...drank wine...and then went back to work? Huh? Is this the 1970s?
Lol I don't normally drink at lunch but it is common (In Australia land of the drinking) that if you go out to lunch for a birthday/farewell you have a drink or two as long as you don't go back to work sloshed.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #454 on: July 09, 2016, 08:47:20 PM »
Ginormous hole in woven blanket got too big to ignore (my toes, dogs' paws getting stuck, etc.) Blankets on sale at Target nearby, went there, DIDN'T like the color, paid full price for SAME blanket, different color. Can you even see the freaking blanket under the quilt? No, but I would KNOW it was that weird pinky red instead of that nice blue. Oh yeah, that was worth an extra $18.

That's exactly the sort of thing I would do. Otherwise you buy the weird pinky red one, it bugs you every time you look at it, maybe in a year it gets too much for you and you decide to buy the blue one anyway.

I wouldn't necessarily say this for houses or cars, purchases <$100, buy the one you want and enjoy it.

I thought of this again today as I was decluttering a bookshelf.

Seven years ago a family member decided to buy me four leather-bound photo albums as a gift. She asked if I wanted black or brown leather.

I wanted brown. My husband thought four matching albums would be boring so he suggested two brown, two black.

My mother encouraged this, 'just for something different'.

Neither of them were overly invested in it - every so often they just team up when they thought I was being too picky about things matching/complementing. Neither of them would even remember the conversation about album colour.

Seven years later it still bugs me when I see them on the bookshelf.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #455 on: July 09, 2016, 09:22:54 PM »
Feeling a bit bad today after spending $70 on a night out last night. It was a VERY fun night, but I could have cut it back to $50 so easily. That's always the problem with alcohol - having one drink is fine, but two seems to be the cutoff for frugality as far as my brain chemistry is concerned. (I drink very little so I'm really a lightweight.) The two-drinks version of me is totally carefree and happy to spend money. I am glad that I resisted a third drink because I think there was about a 70% chance of three turning into four-and-a-taxi.

I wanted brown. My husband thought four matching albums would be boring so he suggested two brown, two black.

*facepalm* Well, I'm sure he has a lot of other nice qualities... ;-)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #456 on: July 09, 2016, 09:42:54 PM »
Feeling a bit bad today after spending $70 on a night out last night. It was a VERY fun night, but I could have cut it back to $50 so easily. That's always the problem with alcohol - having one drink is fine, but two seems to be the cutoff for frugality as far as my brain chemistry is concerned. (I drink very little so I'm really a lightweight.) The two-drinks version of me is totally carefree and happy to spend money. I am glad that I resisted a third drink because I think there was about a 70% chance of three turning into four-and-a-taxi.

*facepalm* Well, I'm sure he has a lot of other nice qualities... ;-)

:D :D :D

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #457 on: July 11, 2016, 08:03:37 AM »
My car insurance was up for renewal and I looked over the policy and saw that they still had me listed as driving over 10 miles each way to work. I called and had them change it and it lowered my peremium about $50/yr.

The face-punchy part: I moved THREE years ago so have been overpaying for three years.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #458 on: July 11, 2016, 04:13:53 PM »
My car insurance was up for renewal and I looked over the policy and saw that they still had me listed as driving over 10 miles each way to work. I called and had them change it and it lowered my peremium about $50/yr.

The face-punchy part: I moved THREE years ago so have been overpaying for three years.

My mum had something similar a couple of years ago, except that she had notified them. In writing.

When she called them out on it, they went looking in her file and found a record of the letter. They refunded it five years.

dividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #459 on: July 12, 2016, 07:55:12 AM »
I am currently eating an egg. The egg in question is hard boiled. I did not hard boil said egg. I do not know who did--all I know is that it was already hard boiled when I bought it and its 5 companions. And peeled, to boot! It might even be tastier for the knowledge that I live in a country where people are so lazy they buy pre-boiled, pre-peeled eggs.
Haha!  I've actually purchased hard-boiled, peeled eggs at gas stations during road trips, but they always came in 2-packs.
'
Boiling eggs is soooo easy, but I have a weird aversion to it. But I've recently learned that you can pressure steam eggs in an Instant Pot, so that may spell the end of purchasing pre-boiled/peeled eggs for me.

I have never been able to hard boil eggs successfully in a pot - I'm cursed.  I just finished hard-boiling 8 eggs in a vintage egg cooker (belonged to my grandmother).  This thing is old, the hotplate part is totally calcified, it's covered in wicker on the outside, and the electric cord is starting to fray.  When it finally gives up the ghost, I will happily pay the $20-30 to replace it with a modern one.  Eggs here have been running $2.39/3 dozen at Costco.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #460 on: July 12, 2016, 08:59:35 AM »
I have never been able to hard boil eggs successfully in a pot - I'm cursed.  I just finished hard-boiling 8 eggs in a vintage egg cooker (belonged to my grandmother).  This thing is old, the hotplate part is totally calcified, it's covered in wicker on the outside, and the electric cord is starting to fray.  When it finally gives up the ghost, I will happily pay the $20-30 to replace it with a modern one.  Eggs here have been running $2.39/3 dozen at Costco.

Either you fix that fraying electric cord or just give up the ghost.

I've been using a Fagor Elite pressure cooker, daily. For cooking lentils, beans, steamed rice cakes (idlis), soups, etc. Going to try boiling a batch of eggs. I've been getting daily food cravings after breakfast, I think a boiled egg will fix that. My kids have lately been on an omelette/ scrambled eggs fixation, let's see if they like boiled eggs with a little salt n pepper and cheese.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #461 on: July 14, 2016, 02:34:52 PM »
Double face punch.

Packed healthy work snack. Left in fridge at home. Bought Cheetos from vending machine.

Found out milk that I keep in the work fridge for tea had spoiled. Bought iced coffee.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #462 on: July 14, 2016, 03:02:45 PM »
Double face punch.

Packed healthy work snack. Left in fridge at home. Bought Cheetos from vending machine.

Found out milk that I keep in the work fridge for tea had spoiled. Bought iced coffee.

You have so much going on at home, FP, I don't think anyone will punch on if you are slightly distracted.

All That Glitters

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #463 on: July 15, 2016, 09:20:24 PM »
I wanted to do my mom a solid by getting her car fixed in the most cost-effective possible way while she's out of town. Took it to highly recommended place in Queens. Great price. They said they could fix it within an hour. During that hour I went wandering looking for food. Safely avoided an $8 wrap by buying $1.50 in cashews. Then I wound up outside a Chinese grocery store where an old man was selling antique treasures and he kept offering me "deals" so I wound up dropping $40 on a gorgeous old vase and 9 antique tin plates. I like pretty tin dish-ware for my spendthrift park picnic socializing... but this really got out of hand. I deserve a bloody lip.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #464 on: July 16, 2016, 06:48:25 AM »
[This also reminds me, I need to replace my sheets since I put a hole in my fitted one for the second time in a year. I have NO IDEA what I am doing in my sleep but I put my foot through them on a regular basis.
Uhm, maybe keep your toenails shorter and file them after trimming so they're smooooth? Do you get holes in your socks too?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #465 on: July 16, 2016, 09:19:31 AM »
[This also reminds me, I need to replace my sheets since I put a hole in my fitted one for the second time in a year. I have NO IDEA what I am doing in my sleep but I put my foot through them on a regular basis.
Uhm, maybe keep your toenails shorter and file them after trimming so they're smooooth? Do you get holes in your socks too?
The problem is not my hygiene (thanks for being a bit rude, though, always appreciated). I have never had a hole in the toe of my sock, ever. I probably have nicer feet than most folks since I've been going to a foot surgeon every month or two lately and I try to keep them decent since I know someone will be up close and personal with them.

When I find holes in the sheet it looks like a big patch has been worn threadbare. I think I must be "running" in my dreams a lot or something.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #466 on: July 16, 2016, 07:05:05 PM »
The problem is not my hygiene (thanks for being a bit rude, though, always appreciated). I have never had a hole in the toe of my sock, ever. I probably have nicer feet than most folks since I've been going to a foot surgeon every month or two lately and I try to keep them decent since I know someone will be up close and personal with them.

When I find holes in the sheet it looks like a big patch has been worn threadbare. I think I must be "running" in my dreams a lot or something.

I too am an adult who knows how to clip my toenails, yet has managed to tear a hole in the sheets with my foot. The foot area seems to be where sheets weaken first and are most prone to tearing according to a few friends who have done the same thing.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #467 on: July 16, 2016, 07:38:15 PM »

I too am an adult who knows how to clip my toenails, yet has managed to tear a hole in the sheets with my foot. The foot area seems to be where sheets weaken first and are most prone to tearing according to a few friends who have done the same thing.

Move north (or in your case south) to somewhere that a MMM would wear socks in bed rather than have central heating.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #468 on: July 16, 2016, 07:49:15 PM »

Yeah - it's not weird to me that the feet area wears out first. It is weird to me that I do it SO FAST. I got new sets of sheets that I started using when I moved (~22 months ago) and I've busted through two of them already. Really nice, thick sheets, too (they were a gift) so it's not like I'm cheaping out and getting paper-thin sheets that shred if you look at them too hard...

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #469 on: July 16, 2016, 08:08:40 PM »

Yeah - it's not weird to me that the feet area wears out first. It is weird to me that I do it SO FAST. I got new sets of sheets that I started using when I moved (~22 months ago) and I've busted through two of them already. Really nice, thick sheets, too (they were a gift) so it's not like I'm cheaping out and getting paper-thin sheets that shred if you look at them too hard...

Does it happen most often at full moon ?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #470 on: July 16, 2016, 08:13:39 PM »
I have never had this problem, but then, I never tuck my sheets in. I can't stand having my feet confined while sleeping.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #471 on: July 16, 2016, 08:16:25 PM »
My husband does the same things to sheets, it's amazing really.  In his case he fidgets while falling asleep every night.  We used to use nice Egyptian cotton sheets, but have switched back to the sturdier poly cotton blend sheets which so far (knock on wood) are lasting longer.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #472 on: July 16, 2016, 08:17:08 PM »

Haha. There's a thought! I'll start keeping a moon diary and let you know.

I have never had this problem, but then, I never tuck my sheets in. I can't stand having my feet confined while sleeping.

I don't tuck in my top sheets either, for the same reason - but it is the bottom/fitted sheet that I am kicking through.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #473 on: July 17, 2016, 07:11:30 PM »
DH wears out the bottom sheet really quickly because his feet are very dry and rough.  I preach exfoliation and moisturizing to no avail.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #474 on: July 17, 2016, 08:02:05 PM »

Haha. There's a thought! I'll start keeping a moon diary and let you know.

I don't tuck in my top sheets either, for the same reason - but it is the bottom/fitted sheet that I am kicking through.

Ha.

I too do not tuck in the sheet. I think some sheets are honestly just not made to last (even if they're expensive).

DH wears out the bottom sheet really quickly because his feet are very dry and rough.  I preach exfoliation and moisturizing to no avail.

My feet are neither dry nor rough. I have still had this issue.

Clearly the answer is: werewolf.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #475 on: July 18, 2016, 03:36:16 PM »
I didn't realize I could submit reimbursements for food when I visited work HQ, and so probably lost out on a couple hundred $$ of reimbursements over the last year :(

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #476 on: July 18, 2016, 04:03:48 PM »

Holey sheet.

dpfromva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #477 on: July 28, 2016, 11:14:59 AM »
I just now bought a bottled ice tea at work to go with my lunch.
Oh yeah, did I mention we have FREE hot coffee and tea in our offices?
And, what's this, an ice dispenser?
(Scratches head) I feel I am really missing an opportunity here . . . just can't put my finger on it.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #478 on: July 28, 2016, 11:48:20 AM »
I just now bought a bottled ice tea at work to go with my lunch.
Oh yeah, did I mention we have FREE hot coffee and tea in our offices?
And, what's this, an ice dispenser?
(Scratches head) I feel I am really missing an opportunity here . . . just can't put my finger on it.
Don't you know it both tastes better and is better for you if you paid for it??

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #479 on: August 09, 2016, 11:07:41 PM »
Tonight I purchased $80 worth of collectible pins from a man sitting in the corner of a dimly lit bar. I have no idea what the hell I will ever do with them, but I love them. They match the collectible figurines I once spent $50 on.

My face is practically begging for a punch right now.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #480 on: August 15, 2016, 10:43:04 AM »
I only need a minor facepunch for this year's fair sins.  I only spent $15 as opposed to the $47 last year due to not seeing anything I wanted for the grandchildren and the horrible heat.  That was spent on lemonade and deep fried chocolate chip cookies.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #481 on: August 15, 2016, 01:04:58 PM »

Just had a flashback to a furnished dormitory I stayed in (when I was living abroad for two semesters in college) - the blankets they gave us were an unpleasant texture and a bright Pepto-Bismol-bubble-gum pink. I could think of a lot of worse ways to spend $18. But maybe you can try to save it somewhere else to make yourself feel better about the indulgence.

This also reminds me, I need to replace my sheets since I put a hole in my fitted one for the second time in a year. I have NO IDEA what I am doing in my sleep but I put my foot through them on a regular basis.
Get those sheet suspender thingies, and suddenly a flat sheet becomes a fitted one without any sewing. Fitteds wearing out before flats drove me crazy until I tried the suspenders!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #482 on: August 15, 2016, 01:23:38 PM »
Get those sheet suspender thingies, and suddenly a flat sheet becomes a fitted one without any sewing. Fitteds wearing out before flats drove me crazy until I tried the suspenders!

Do you have to lift up the mattress to use them? I have thought about that even for my regular fitted sheets because they tend to creep up the sides of the mattress. But I assumed it would be too difficult to install every time I change the sheets.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #483 on: August 15, 2016, 01:26:44 PM »

Do you have to lift up the mattress to use them? I have thought about that even for my regular fitted sheets because they tend to creep up the sides of the mattress. But I assumed it would be too difficult to install every time I change the sheets.
You just have to lift up the edge of the mattress, not the whole thing.  I use them on our twin bed, since it's easier to lift.  A little more effort, but once you get the hang of it it's not bad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #484 on: August 22, 2016, 01:05:51 PM »
I didn't know in what thread to post this and I don't think it merits it's own thread. Not a FacePunch to me per se, but to my partner.
So... I just inherited a dog.

His mother just decided this weekend that the lovely dog that she's had for 7 years... was suddenly no longer welcome and that she wanted to get rid of it and give it to the "pound" (or more humane equivalent here). His mother has some un-diagnosed border personality disorder, so while very unfortunate, isn't really that surprising a reaction.

He was at his mother's for the weekend and just found this ridiculous. The dog is wonderfully trained, doesn't make any messes inside, and doesn't shed. She's just high energy and his mother doesn't want it anymore.

Instead of seeing this lovely dog go to the pound, he brought her home. I'm away for the week, but he texted this morning that we have a new member in our family. Surprise!

So I now have a new dog in my 750 sq foot condo without a yard and with two full-time working adults.

He did it out of the goodness of his heart, I know this, but still. Damn.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #485 on: August 24, 2016, 09:41:51 PM »
I slipped and fell and accidentally bought a used truck today...

...but a truck is part of my FIRE plan, so I think it's ok. Still feels like I should be kicked out of the club.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #486 on: August 25, 2016, 07:16:34 AM »
I slipped and fell and accidentally bought a used truck today...

...but a truck is part of my FIRE plan, so I think it's ok. Still feels like I should be kicked out of the club.

We decided that this year's annual vacation should be in Orlando (wife and I usually take a trip in September). So we're doing that, and all the themeparky things that go with it.

Facepunch away, kick me out of the club, I don't care. I'm going to Harry Potter land.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #487 on: August 25, 2016, 07:24:52 AM »
We decided that this year's annual vacation should be in Orlando (wife and I usually take a trip in September). So we're doing that, and all the themeparky things that go with it.

Facepunch away, kick me out of the club, I don't care. I'm going to Harry Potter land.

Harry Potter land?  Tell more!  Is it Disney?  or separate?  Come January/February going someplace warm always looks good, and Harry Potter land?

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #488 on: August 25, 2016, 07:39:03 AM »

Harry Potter land?  Tell more!  Is it Disney?  or separate?  Come January/February going someplace warm always looks good, and Harry Potter land?

If there's a club in which anything Harry Potter isn't welcome, it isn't a club I care to be a part of.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #489 on: August 25, 2016, 08:33:16 AM »

Officially, it's called Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and it's attached to Universal Studios Orlando.

The only stereotypically "nerdy" things I embrace are Harry Potter, and personal finance spreadsheets. Believe it or not I finally got my wife hooked (on HP). She's on book 4; she says she gets funny looks sitting in airports in full business attire reading Harry Potter lol

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #490 on: August 25, 2016, 09:24:03 AM »
Thanks patchyfacialhair and meerkat.  I am not generally a rides person, so that part can be skipped  ;-)  unless it is like one I went on years ago (Universal? Disney?) that  was Star Wars themed - dark in a dome, lots of stars, we were in space flight mode).

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #491 on: August 28, 2016, 02:06:24 PM »
So I biked up to the mall yesterday because DH needed clothes, there was a good sale on and I had a gift card.  Scoured the clearance racks and scooped up four shirts (all name brand) and 3 different packs of socks.

Didn't check the bill before leaving.  Got home and noticed that a 3-pack of New Balance socks was over-charged by $6 plus tax.  FacePunch!

So today I hopped back on the bike and did the 10 K each way once again to get the $6.78 as a credit back onto the gift card.

Hopefully that turned the face-punch moment into a bit of badassity.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #492 on: September 08, 2016, 09:24:41 AM »
On Saturday morning I will be driving down to Charleston. I've booked a stand-up paddle boarding tour, and I'll be investigating some bars. On Sunday I will be driving back. It's not HUGE money, but I still feel weak.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #493 on: September 20, 2016, 08:22:26 AM »
I forgot to pack my lunch for work two days in a row and was forced to purchase it last week.  Please facepunch me...I also sinned at the vending machine since I wasn't home to grab my stored buns and caffeine cans....

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #494 on: September 26, 2016, 09:43:10 PM »
I am thinking about spending $2k on a pair headphones. Have not pulled the trigger yet...

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #495 on: September 26, 2016, 10:04:14 PM »
I am thinking about spending $2k on a pair headphones. Have not pulled the trigger yet...

Well...as long as you're just "thinking" about it, who cares? That being said, are there no headphones for $2-300 that are even 98% as good? I'm no audiophile and my musician brother (makes his living playing music) is the opposite of an audiophile so it's hard for me to understand the folks that spend four figures or more on gear.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #496 on: September 26, 2016, 10:04:26 PM »

Whoa...

Really? What sort?

And yeah, you win. Or lose, whatever.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #497 on: September 26, 2016, 10:13:03 PM »

Whoa...

Really? What sort?

Audeze LCD-3 if you must know.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #498 on: September 26, 2016, 10:15:24 PM »

Whoa...

Really? What sort?

My headphone problem went away completely when I stopped reading head-fi. Haven't bought a pair since. Just a thought ;-)

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #499 on: September 26, 2016, 10:20:57 PM »

Whoa...

Really? What sort?

My headphone problem went away completely when I stopped reading head-fi. Haven't bought a pair since. Just a thought ;-)
My last pair was 6 years ago. Time has come to add a new flagship I think - maybe more like upper mid-range as flagships are $3k+ these days.

You can stop reading head-fi but I doubt your headphone problems can go away "completely" ;)