Author Topic: FacePunch Me  (Read 321284 times)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: FacePunch Me
« Reply #400 on: April 20, 2016, 06:28:54 AM »
Oh contraire, that was not a critic-ism, it was an amazement-ism! If you had said you'd bowled 200 times or gone to the movies 200 times, I might have had a similar reaction. Doing ANYTHING 200 out of 365 days shows an extreme level of dedication. I was simply very curious about your back story.

I'm not sure if it will make me seem more or less crazy, but I often go to more than one concert per day/night, so it's less than 200 days out of 365... But, yes, it is an extreme level of dedication. I've found 'my people,' though - I now have lots of friends and acquaintances who are just as much into live music as me. :-)

Backstory-wise... is there one? Sort of. I have always loved music. I have always liked concerts. But the live music obsession didn't start until I started listening to jazz - as a live art form it is really special since improvisation is a key part of it and every performance is unique (much more so than a classical performance or a rock band). I saw a concert in 2006 and it included four bands: two chamber ensembles (strings) and two jazz groups (one acoustic, one electric). It was an incredible show - I still remember how stunned I felt after the first piece ended - and my ears were just thrown wide open after that. That was the night I felt like I understood jazz for the first time, and I understood why live music was special. That was the spark that started the fire which has, I guess, grown into quite a conflagration. It almost feels like an addiction - most of the time you're just going to "maintenance" concerts, a nice night out, enjoyable, interesting, fun, whatever - but you're always chasing the high of those rare extraordinary performances. Goosebumps. Tears. Laughter. Awe. Moments you remember for years afterwards.

Not to out your location too much, but what are your Harlem haunts?  I used to spend a lot of time at Paris Blues, mostly for the company, but they occasionally had great nights.   I'm very close to the Shrine and Bill's Place.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #401 on: April 20, 2016, 07:22:26 AM »
Not to out your location too much, but what are your Harlem haunts?  I used to spend a lot of time at Paris Blues, mostly for the company, but they occasionally had great nights.   I'm very close to the Shrine and Bill's Place.

I don't really tend to hang out in Harlem much, actually - though I did see a great show at Harlem Stage last year, and the jazz museum has some interesting stuff on occasion. I'm not much of a drinker so all the places that are more "hanging out in a cool bar with live music" aren't so much my scene. My most-frequented spots are in EV/LES, Greenwich Village and various spots in Brooklyn.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #402 on: April 20, 2016, 07:33:53 AM »
Glasses got stepped on. Lenses survived, but the $300 frames got pretty mangled. They were able to kind-of fix them, but they're fragile and a permanent fix just isn't possible. Frames aren't eligible for insurance until next year. I don't technically need new glasses--they're wearable, but they won't sit on my face right (I'm concerned about headaches and changes to my vision since the lenses don't line up quite right). And I could get $35 glasses from Zenni (but I haven't found any I like and they don't let you try them on), or a $95 pair from Warby Parker--I was at their retail location yesterday and found a pair I like, but don't love.

But I really loved my old frames--it was the first time in my life I could afford the pretty frames and I've never before had frames in my life that I actually loved. And the place I got them is offering 20% off and new lenses for free. And it would ultimately come from my HSA and not out of pocket. But why spend $240 when I could just spend $35?

Also, I'm getting a very large tax refund (oops), and I'm sorely tempted to spend a chunk of it ($1500+) on a new gaming laptop. Mine is on its last legs (the screen turns off after 20 minutes and it seems to be an unfixable motherboard issue). But I don't have time to game anymore--I haven't even really missed not having my laptop. And hubs has enough spare parts lying around that we could build a halfway passable PC for me for less than $300. But I want a shiny new laptop.

Spring has come to Chicago, and I can't resist the siren song of patio restaurants. I won't even try to justify this one. Just facepunch me--I am unrepentant. The good thing is patio dining season is very short because I can't stand humidity. But right after that is $7-fries-and-$12-beers-on-the-river-walk season. Seriously, there is a place that sells nothing but overpriced fries and beers, and it is amazing.

Weep for my first world problems. Then punch me in the face.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #403 on: April 20, 2016, 08:26:24 AM »
Also, I'm getting a very large tax refund (oops), and I'm sorely tempted to spend a chunk of it ($1500+) on a new gaming laptop. Mine is on its last legs (the screen turns off after 20 minutes and it seems to be an unfixable motherboard issue). But I don't have time to game anymore--I haven't even really missed not having my laptop. And hubs has enough spare parts lying around that we could build a halfway passable PC for me for less than $300. But I want a shiny new laptop.
Isn't gaming laptop an oxymoron?  ;)  Exercise that frugality muscle!  (I totally condone a gaming PC for less than $300 bucks though...that's what I do!).

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #404 on: April 20, 2016, 08:54:08 AM »
Isn't gaming laptop an oxymoron?  ;)  Exercise that frugality muscle!  (I totally condone a gaming PC for less than $300 bucks though...that's what I do!).
Not at all, especially with how small components are getting these days. You just have to be willing to pay a premium (2-3x more for equal power) for it and forgo hardware upgrades (although modern ones are much more upgradeable). Desktop didn't make sense when I was in college during the week and living (and gaming) with my then-fiance on weekends. Desktop doesn't make sense now because my husband's hulking beast and 3 monitors takes up a large chunk of our 500 ft. apartment. Which is the problem with building a PC--nowhere to put it except the floor next to the TV (which would be my monitor).

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #405 on: April 20, 2016, 09:10:30 AM »
Not at all, especially with how small components are getting these days. You just have to be willing to pay a premium (2-3x more for equal power) for it and forgo hardware upgrades (although modern ones are much more upgradeable). Desktop didn't make sense when I was in college during the week and living (and gaming) with my then-fiance on weekends. Desktop doesn't make sense now because my husband's hulking beast and 3 monitors takes up a large chunk of our 500 ft. apartment. Which is the problem with building a PC--nowhere to put it except the floor next to the TV (which would be my monitor).
I know it isn't an oxymoron anymore, hence the wink.  But the premium and difficulty of upgrading make me cringe.  Then again, using TVs as monitors also makes me cringe! 

Holy cow!  3 monitors in a 500q ft apartment?  So one entire wall of a studio, basically?  Damn.  Not that I should talk, I have two monitors that I move all over the house depending on where I need a screen. 

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #406 on: April 20, 2016, 09:21:50 AM »
Well, our trip to Argentina was SUPPOSED to be Mustachian.

On the day of the wedding, a few hours before it started, I pulled my suit out of the closet and discovered a giant tear in the coat's sleeve that somehow occurred while wearing it on the flight or carrying it thereafter - I have no clue at all. We promptly freaked out (OK, mostly DW freaked out) and flailed all over town at various solutions before eventually blowing $500 on an entire new suit. I haven't spend $500 on clothes in five friggin' years, guys. I still feel like a moron, but oh well. The cash ended up coming out of the spending money her grandma always gives her when we arrive, but still... still... good gawd!!!! :(

$500 for a suit is tough to stomach. I purchased one "expensive" suit many years ago for about tree fiddy and I've worn it twice (couple of weddings including my own). Until I become Mr. Big Shot I hope to keep this one for a while. Hopefully you can do the same.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #407 on: April 22, 2016, 08:25:32 AM »
The concert was amazing. Enthusiastic bands, good venue, hyper-crazy audience, it had everything! I was briefly and accidentally pulled in the mosh pit. My foot was stepped on by a 250+ pound biker. I headbanged so hard I hurt my neck. I bought the new Amon Amarth cd. Good times.

And I deserve all of the face punches because after the concert ended I went and got fast food. On the plus side, it reminded me of why I never go for fast food.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #408 on: April 22, 2016, 09:27:30 AM »
$500 for a suit is tough to stomach. I purchased one "expensive" suit many years ago for about tree fiddy and I've worn it twice (couple of weddings including my own). Until I become Mr. Big Shot I hope to keep this one for a while. Hopefully you can do the same.
Yeah, I still feel shitty about it even though I didn't end up paying any of the cost. Such a waste.
I already have several decent suits that I managed to acquire from thrift stores or for free; the only thing I've ever paid retail for were two nice coats (black/blue) at $99 each - they were bought as separates but matched to other pants and worked well enough. The black one was what I ripped, and the new set was basically the same thing for way more money.
But it does look really great on me and I will wear it for every formal occasion ever again, in my life, just to try to get the per-use cost into single digits. Who knows.

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #409 on: April 24, 2016, 04:43:52 AM »
I just spent 1h30 in a traffic jam to drive like 15 miles.
It got me on a beautiful place on Lake Como, but if I had left at 830 instead of 11 I would have cut transit time at least in half.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #410 on: April 27, 2016, 03:39:21 PM »
Bought a brand new lawnmower because the one I currently have did not start this spring.  This is the new one: http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet/sc-100-sc100-2013

My rationalizations include: 
  • I bought the one I have now used for $50 when we bought our house a few years ago hoping it would get me through a few years... and it did so it served its purpose.
  • The one I have was a rickety one that didn't do that great a job mowing anyway.
  • I don't want to spend the time/money on fixing the old one for it to die again next year.
  • The new one is highly rated by more than one consumer review organization.
  • It's just a push mower, its not like I'm wasting money on a fancy-pants self propelled mower or lawn tractor.
  • I have already read the owner's manual and intend to DIY all the recommended maintenance religiously so the new one lasts forever.
  • I will use no-ethanol fuel only in this machine (using ethanol fuel was part of the problem with my old one).
  • I will enjoy lawn care more because this one will work better (old mower was the messiest mower I've ever used-- grass clippings everywhere!)

Reality:
  • The old one died probably at least partially due to my failure to maintain it properly.
  • I could probably fix my current one I have and make it work.
  • I probably could have bought another used one.
  • I could probably get by with a more basic mower.
  • I will probably enjoy mowing more for two weeks and then it will become a chore again.

Futtee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #411 on: April 27, 2016, 06:38:15 PM »
Went to the Apple store with my DH to replace failing battery of his iPhone 5, walked way with one new iPhone 6 Plus to the tune of $800.  MAJOR FACEPUNCH!!!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #412 on: April 27, 2016, 10:16:10 PM »
Forgot library book at park. Couldn't go back for it because dinner and kids. Going to rain tonight, so unless some Good Samaritan picked it up, I'll owe $20 replacement.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #413 on: May 20, 2016, 01:05:47 PM »
I'm having such a lucky sort of day that I briefly thought of buying a lottery ticket. So far I have resisted...

Luckyvik

• Stubble
FacePunch Me
« Reply #414 on: May 30, 2016, 01:01:43 PM »
First day back at work after holidays, I bought 2 lattes today, I really should have only bought one! Partly money and partly because I have a cold so tea would have been better than coffee after lunch. I will bring a mug tomorrow so that I can make tea, the mugs in the kitchen are gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #415 on: June 01, 2016, 12:11:55 PM »
I just purchased a totally unnecessary $300 watch.
To make things worse, it was a total impulse buy.
Only semi-defensible part: I got it second hand and will lose $30 worst case scenario by flipping it.

I always loved watches, together with scuba diving it is my weakness.
I managed to tame it for a while (sold a bunch of watches and stopped buying more), but today I caved.

jbjr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #416 on: June 07, 2016, 08:17:43 PM »
Not so much interested in a face punch. But this was definitely not mustachian.

I went to Vegas the week before last. I've been many times, it was a pretty regular occurrence back in my Navy days. But my brother has never been and has always wanted to go. He's getting married next month so off to Vegas we went. I was as mustachian as possible. Saved up and used a separate account for the trip. Kept to a budget for the hotel and the shows we saw. Used points for the airfare. I even (mostly) stayed away from the tables.

But... My brother wanted to visit some off the strip sites. So we went to the Valley of Fire and the Hoover Dam. We decided to rent a car instead of taking a formal tour. So we rented a Lamborghini. A convertible Gallardo. Kermit green. Renting the car for the day cost more than the hotel for three nights. And it was worth every damn penny. I doubt i'll ever do it again but driving that car through the desert was an absolutely spectacular experience.

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #417 on: June 08, 2016, 08:07:52 AM »
Pretty much every dollar I have ever spent on Magic: the Gathering.

Easily my most expensive hobby. But damn, do I enjoy it.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #418 on: June 08, 2016, 02:59:49 PM »
I impulse bought a laptop last week.  I can't believe me.  But then... The next morning, my current 7-year old laptop stopped functioning appropriately.  Signs point to motherboard issues.  So while I certainly deserve a facepunch for the impulse buy, I'm happy I bought the new one when I did.  Selling the old one for parts will hopefully cover about half of the purchase price.  But still.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #419 on: June 09, 2016, 02:04:33 AM »
I got free lunch at work today but the deal was they paid for food and we pay for drinks, so I bought a glass of wine $7.50 aghhhhhh bad bad me

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #420 on: June 09, 2016, 08:51:15 AM »
Do we still get face punches if we pay for something with credit card cash back?

We recently bought two tickets for a 14-minute Ferris wheel ride--$50 per ticket. And since I covered it with cash back, it was technically free. Totally worth it to do once (glass floor!), but I would never spend real money on it.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #421 on: June 09, 2016, 09:27:03 AM »
Do we still get face punches if we pay for something with credit card cash back?

Yes, I think so, but the punch is not quite as hard.  Sure you didn't spend "real money" but you COULD have redeemed the cash back on your regular purchases to decrease your overall spending.

That said, no one should begrudge the occasional splurge and using "found money" like cash back rewards to do so is a great way to limit the damage of splurging. 

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #422 on: June 09, 2016, 09:29:51 AM »

We recently bought two tickets for a 14-minute Ferris wheel ride--$50 per ticket. And since I covered it with cash back, it was technically free. Totally worth it to do once (glass floor!), but I would never spend real money on it.

Assuming that you're free to spend it on anything you want I see no difference between the rebate from a credit card and "real money." I view my credit card use like having a coupon good for a small time-delayed discount on everything I buy. So I'd say your Ferris wheel ride  must pass the face-punch worthiness test on its own merit!

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #423 on: June 09, 2016, 01:04:29 PM »
For the past few weeks I have been overindulging at the used book store and my cousin's really excellent Salvation Army on tops and cookbooks.  I think I have spent maybe $100 total.  I scooped up Food and Wine books, Bon Appetit, Betty Crocker and my next hump African cooking.  Please face punch me...

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #424 on: June 09, 2016, 04:33:56 PM »
I used up too much time making yogurt and eating free greens and did not have time to pack snacks for the kids' daycare. Now I will be charged $2 each for their snacks. Sigh.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #425 on: June 10, 2016, 09:09:18 AM »
I used up too much time making yogurt and eating free greens and did not have time to pack snacks for the kids' daycare. Now I will be charged $2 each for their snacks. Sigh.
But what happened to the book in the park???

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #426 on: June 10, 2016, 09:16:29 AM »
For the past few weeks I have been overindulging at the used book store and my cousin's really excellent Salvation Army on tops and cookbooks.  I think I have spent maybe $100 total.  I scooped up Food and Wine books, Bon Appetit, Betty Crocker and my next hump African cooking.  Please face punch me...
I'm torn here.

On one hand I want to facepunch you for BUYING books. Especially cookbooks, because Google is the biggest cookbook ever imagined. And I don't know how good your local library is, but if you have a good library, you get a facepunch for not using it.

On the other hand, I own a couple of cookbooks and totally understand the need to have a physical cookbook to browse through (but I also borrow way more cookbooks than I own). And I'm not sure I can justify a facepunch for buying used and providing books a loving home. And if you actually use them for cooking, that's inherently Mustachian.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #427 on: June 10, 2016, 10:30:21 AM »
I like Google for recipes sometimes but there is something satisfying about cracking open a cookbook to explore for the first time and spilling something in it to "break it in" using it.  For the last 6 to 8 weeks I have resisted the urge to acquire new ones since I have enough to keep me contented.  French food wasn't as hard as I thought, Russian food not bad, Chinese I am still learning, and good old fashioned soul food is always in demand in my house. 

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #428 on: June 10, 2016, 10:46:37 AM »
I like Google for recipes sometimes but there is something satisfying about cracking open a cookbook to explore for the first time and spilling something in it to "break it in" using it.  For the last 6 to 8 weeks I have resisted the urge to acquire new ones since I have enough to keep me contented.  French food wasn't as hard as I thought, Russian food not bad, Chinese I am still learning, and good old fashioned soul food is always in demand in my house.
Agreed. And you definitely don't want to spill on or set on fire a cookbook you borrowed from the library.

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #429 on: June 10, 2016, 02:17:27 PM »
I'm torn here.

On one hand I want to facepunch you for BUYING books. Especially cookbooks, because Google is the biggest cookbook ever imagined. And I don't know how good your local library is, but if you have a good library, you get a facepunch for not using it.

On the other hand, I own a couple of cookbooks and totally understand the need to have a physical cookbook to browse through (but I also borrow way more cookbooks than I own). And I'm not sure I can justify a facepunch for buying used and providing books a loving home. And if you actually use them for cooking, that's inherently Mustachian.

There is something to be said for curated recipes especially from well known sources.  The internet is full of crappy recipes.  Yes it's great for finding just about anything, but I'd say if I'm looking for something 95% of the time I'll usually go to my favorite, tried and true websites and cookbooks.  My subscription to America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated website has been well worth it in my opinion.

Also, while I love the library, I also love owning books and I don't mind supporting authors I enjoy by buying their books.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #430 on: June 11, 2016, 09:32:58 AM »
I'm torn here.

There is something to be said for curated recipes especially from well known sources.  The internet is full of crappy recipes.  Yes it's great for finding just about anything, but I'd say if I'm looking for something 95% of the time I'll usually go to my favorite, tried and true websites and cookbooks.  My subscription to America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated website has been well worth it in my opinion.

Also, while I love the library, I also love owning books and I don't mind supporting authors I enjoy by buying their books.

Frugal Girl feels the same way. She was posting recently about how she subscribes to both Cook's Illustrated AND Cook's Country. I have found some great stuff online but it's definitely hit or miss.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #431 on: June 13, 2016, 02:34:17 AM »
Facepunch me for I have sinned....I went to buy a coffee today from a cafe I hadn't been to for ages, I ordered, first I thought it would be around $3.40-$3.50 and it was $3.90 then after looking in my wallet I realised I only had $3.70 in cash, The lady behind me was getting ansy, I asked if they took card they said yes but it's a $0.50 surcharge for purchases under $10, I went ahead and paid by card for a total of $4.40. I apologised to the lady behind me for taking so long to order and she rolled her eyes at me (bitch!) argghhh!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #432 on: June 23, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »
I brought a book 1 day late at the library and I got a .30$ fine I could have totally avoided just renewing the loan on the library's website.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #433 on: June 29, 2016, 09:24:15 PM »
My husband was given a cool Lego car kit at a function he attended.

I've always wanted to build one but didn't want to fork out the money, so I was really looking forward to building it with him.

He gave it away to one of the guys at work.

I was a bit disappointed, and he apparently felt awful for not checking with me.

A big box just landed on my desk at work. He ordered a $160 Lego kit for me to build.

A lovely gesture but it (and the inevitable facepunch) could have been avoided if we'd, you know, discussed it...

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #434 on: June 30, 2016, 06:36:15 PM »
I accidentally bought the DRM Epub (Adobe Digital Editions) version of a technical book I've wanted for a long time, instead of the paperback. I can't read the code examples properly because the text is too faint, and can't lend the book to my team.

The site recently changed format and I didn't see the drop down to select paperback until several days after ordering, when I was wondering where my book was. :(

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #435 on: June 30, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
posting to follow.  I deserve facepunches from the unwashed masses too, maybe I will find them here, vicariously through your face :)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #436 on: July 06, 2016, 11:54:35 AM »
I am currently eating an egg. The egg in question is hard boiled. I did not hard boil said egg. I do not know who did--all I know is that it was already hard boiled when I bought it and its 5 companions. And peeled, to boot! It might even be tastier for the knowledge that I live in a country where people are so lazy they buy pre-boiled, pre-peeled eggs.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #437 on: July 06, 2016, 04:53:20 PM »
I am currently eating an egg. The egg in question is hard boiled. I did not hard boil said egg. I do not know who did--all I know is that it was already hard boiled when I bought it and its 5 companions. And peeled, to boot! It might even be tastier for the knowledge that I live in a country where people are so lazy they buy pre-boiled, pre-peeled eggs.
Haha!  I've actually purchased hard-boiled, peeled eggs at gas stations during road trips, but they always came in 2-packs. 

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #438 on: July 06, 2016, 06:42:52 PM »
Haha!  I've actually purchased hard-boiled, peeled eggs at gas stations during road trips, but they always came in 2-packs.
'
Boiling eggs is soooo easy, but I have a weird aversion to it. But I've recently learned that you can pressure steam eggs in an Instant Pot, so that may spell the end of purchasing pre-boiled/peeled eggs for me.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #439 on: July 06, 2016, 06:51:45 PM »

Australian here. I've never seen them for sale so I'm just curious. How much do they cost?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #440 on: July 06, 2016, 07:22:34 PM »

Australian here. I've never seen them for sale so I'm just curious. How much do they cost?
The two-packs that I've bought at a grocery store are about $1, so not cheap.  I usually hard boil my own eggs, but I like the option when we're on a road trip.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #441 on: July 06, 2016, 09:18:19 PM »

I think my 6-pack was like $2-3? Thus the need for a facepunch.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #442 on: July 06, 2016, 11:50:55 PM »

Eggs here are already $6-$7/dozen.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #443 on: July 07, 2016, 03:06:04 PM »

In Austraila?!?
Are those el cheapo eggs or farm hand fed chickens with pedigrees? Wow.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #444 on: July 07, 2016, 03:11:57 PM »

In Austraila?!?

Also remember the exchnage rate, I think .74 aus to 1 US right now.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #445 on: July 07, 2016, 05:35:33 PM »

In Austraila?!?

Earlier this year our state and federal governments changed labelling laws regarding the definition of free-range eggs.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/03/31/consumers-urged-boycott-19-egg-brands-after-free-range-definition-announced

Store-brand cage eggs are $3/dozen.

Store-brand "free range" (which did not meet the old definition of free-range) are $5.20.

Actual free-range (endorsed by a national consumer advocacy group in line CSIRO guidelines) are about $6.80.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: July 07, 2016, 05:37:21 PM »

Earlier this year our state and federal governments changed labelling laws regarding the definition of free-range eggs.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/03/31/consumers-urged-boycott-19-egg-brands-after-free-range-definition-announced

Store-brand "free range" (which did not meet the old definition of free-range) are $5.20.

Actual free-range (endorsed by a national consumer advocacy group in line CSIRO guidelines) are about $6.80.

Well, that sounds like a piece of legislation that no powerful lobbying group had any say in!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #447 on: July 07, 2016, 07:38:30 PM »

In Austraila?!?

Ah, good. Our cheap eggs are about $3 per dozen too, and we have similar ag rules, control and dollar. You had me shocked there.

dpfromva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #448 on: July 08, 2016, 11:30:13 AM »
Ginormous hole in woven blanket got too big to ignore (my toes, dogs' paws getting stuck, etc.) Blankets on sale at Target nearby, went there, DIDN'T like the color, paid full price for SAME blanket, different color. Can you even see the freaking blanket under the quilt? No, but I would KNOW it was that weird pinky red instead of that nice blue. Oh yeah, that was worth an extra $18.
On serious note, what's the Mustachian balance for a nice living and working enviro that doesn't bum you out everytime you look at it (oh, hey, look, my cheapo college bookshelf seems to be collapsing after 35 years!) and over-the-top matching throw pillow fetishes?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #449 on: July 08, 2016, 12:03:27 PM »
Ginormous hole in woven blanket got too big to ignore (my toes, dogs' paws getting stuck, etc.) Blankets on sale at Target nearby, went there, DIDN'T like the color, paid full price for SAME blanket, different color. Can you even see the freaking blanket under the quilt? No, but I would KNOW it was that weird pinky red instead of that nice blue. Oh yeah, that was worth an extra $18.

Just had a flashback to a furnished dormitory I stayed in (when I was living abroad for two semesters in college) - the blankets they gave us were an unpleasant texture and a bright Pepto-Bismol-bubble-gum pink. I could think of a lot of worse ways to spend $18. But maybe you can try to save it somewhere else to make yourself feel better about the indulgence.

This also reminds me, I need to replace my sheets since I put a hole in my fitted one for the second time in a year. I have NO IDEA what I am doing in my sleep but I put my foot through them on a regular basis.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!