Author Topic: FacePunch Me  (Read 321425 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: FacePunch Me
« Reply #350 on: March 12, 2016, 12:47:19 PM »
I bought expensive, fancy pants rice wraps for like $4.50 for a pack. Worse? I don't like them.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #351 on: March 12, 2016, 03:31:52 PM »
I bought a bar cart. A fucking bar cart like some pretentious rich jerk.
$375 at the local vintage shop down the drain. It is beautiful, italian made with beautiful inlays...but $375, just damn.
Did I mention my husband doesn't drink and I do but only on occasion and we dont really have many people over so yeah.
I keep trying to figure out if I should list it on craigslist or resell at a ritzier vintage shop downtown.
Ugg.

Sell it and then use the proceeds to buy a super cheap used baby changing table (or even trash pick one).  Then upcycle it to a bar cart. 

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #352 on: March 12, 2016, 05:40:05 PM »
Actually, I think I will sell it and keep my liquor in the kitchen cabinet like regular people lol
I bought that thing weeks ago and I have buyer's remorse every.single.day

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #353 on: March 15, 2016, 08:22:28 AM »
Actually, I think I will sell it and keep my liquor in the kitchen cabinet like regular people lol
I bought that thing weeks ago and I have buyer's remorse every.single.day
Ouch! If you figure out what exactly the bar cart represented to you, it could prove to be valuable after all.

Does it represent a life filled with leisure or frequent entertaining?  Did someone in your past who had one have a lifestyle you aspire to? Proof of self-control by placing temptation out in the open and not succumbing to it? Are you just a sukka for great design? 

I don't know your answer, but something strong made you dump a lot of money on a thing that is quite non-essential. A little digging to understand your motivation could save you from doing it again with something far more expensive. Even the memory of your post-purchase angst is a good lesson.

Once you figure it out, you could end up keeping the cart as a symbol of what you've discovered about yourself. If you decide not to keep it, try Craigslist so you keep all the proceeds. Make it a game to get all of your money back. Dumping it to punish yourself for making a frivolous purchase would just compound the angst.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #354 on: March 15, 2016, 09:46:16 AM »
Little facepunch: I forgot to get gas before picking up an extra work shift yesterday, necessitating buying gas near the work site, where gas was $0.25/gal more than the station near me, and NO rewards points from it. Boo.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #355 on: March 15, 2016, 11:53:01 AM »
I need a preemptive facepunch. My BF and I have been together 5 years this Friday, and I'm debating taking us out to dinner in a restaurant. We never go out to restaurants. The occasional beer with friends will occur, but other then that, no - I think we've bought ourselves dinner together maybe 3 times over our relationship. I make great food at home. Facepunch me please, force me to find an alternative to celebrate.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #356 on: March 15, 2016, 01:09:29 PM »
I need a preemptive facepunch. My BF and I have been together 5 years this Friday, and I'm debating taking us out to dinner in a restaurant. We never go out to restaurants. The occasional beer with friends will occur, but other then that, no - I think we've bought ourselves dinner together maybe 3 times over our relationship. I make great food at home. Facepunch me please, force me to find an alternative to celebrate.
For our special occasions, we make a special dinner together at home.  We also splurge on a nice bottle of wine.  The act of cooking together is not something we do often, so I enjoy the prep work as much as the meal. 

Maybe you could start looking at recipes and plan an elaborate meal plan.  While you might spend a lot on the specialty ingredients, you'll enough leftovers for several meals. 

tomatops

• Stubble
« Reply #357 on: March 17, 2016, 07:49:03 AM »
I went to the gym for my swimming lessons and forgot to pack my towel. I rented one for $2.00, which I could've used for a much better purpose. Facepunch me.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #358 on: March 17, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
I went to the gym for my swimming lessons and forgot to pack my towel. I rented one for $2.00, which I could've used for a much better purpose. Facepunch me.

If you ever, I mean EVER get kidnapped by Zaphod Beeblebrox, you're going to be so screwed.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #359 on: March 21, 2016, 10:34:35 AM »
I was invited to a flamenco dance performance so I had to spend money to look decent.  I was given a dress but had to pay $10 for a matching light sweater at Burlington, $30 for my hair, $29 for shoes, $30 for my hair to be styled by the same nice girl who gave me the dress,$5 for tights.  $10 for makeup (mascara and lip gloss only not the full on spread).  $15 for nail gel polish and top coat I did do my own nails thank God for Sally Hansen line.

Total $154.  Being out on an actual social enjoyable outing and dressing up to look like a real girl for once: Priceless!

But now I feel guilty for what I spent please facepunch me....

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #360 on: March 21, 2016, 12:20:41 PM »
I was invited to a flamenco dance performance so I had to spend money to look decent.  I was given a dress but had to pay $10 for a matching light sweater at Burlington, $30 for my hair, $29 for shoes, $30 for my hair to be styled by the same nice girl who gave me the dress,$5 for tights.  $10 for makeup (mascara and lip gloss only not the full on spread).  $15 for nail gel polish and top coat I did do my own nails thank God for Sally Hansen line.

Total $154.  Being out on an actual social enjoyable outing and dressing up to look like a real girl for once: Priceless!

But now I feel guilty for what I spent please facepunch me....

I thought you were going to be in the performance as I read your post!
$60 on hair? The other items I can understand if you dont own them at all (cant wear a nice dress with tennis shoes)...but $60 in hair? What did you have done to it?

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #361 on: March 21, 2016, 12:27:33 PM »
That was a typo I didn't realize I had put in my $30 entry twice.  It was more like $47 counting the temporary color styling gel and moisturizing product from the beauty supply  I hadn't been out to that type of function since 2012.  I do not style my own hair on special occasions I go to the girl.    It was mostly leftover money from my small bonus but still....

I do own dress shoes but they're heels and I cannot walk in them.  So she recommended I get flats to wear. They closed my Payless for remodeling so I went grudgingly to Discount Shoe Warehouse.

On the Mustachian side I got credit for the receipts from Receipt Hog, a special on the makeup from Walgreens.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #362 on: March 21, 2016, 01:27:02 PM »
I bought a bar cart. A fucking bar cart like some pretentious rich jerk.
$375 at the local vintage shop down the drain. It is beautiful, italian made with beautiful inlays...but $375, just damn.
Did I mention my husband doesn't drink and I do but only on occasion and we dont really have many people over so yeah.
I keep trying to figure out if I should list it on craigslist or resell at a ritzier vintage shop downtown.
Ugg.

On the other hand, it sounds like it is very pretty. You could forgive yourself, and then enjoy it for the rest of your long and happy life.

I believe that furniture is forever, and have a few mahogany pieces in my little house, because a couple of previous generations in my family believed the same. 

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #363 on: March 22, 2016, 03:06:24 PM »

On the other hand, it sounds like it is very pretty. You could forgive yourself, and then enjoy it for the rest of your long and happy life.

I believe that furniture is forever, and have a few mahogany pieces in my little house, because a couple of previous generations in my family believed the same.

Maybe. It IS beautiful and now I appreciate it more and resent the price less when I look at it. I have had a very bad experience with furniture, in my early 20s, my then bf and I furnished our apartment with really expensive (to us at least) Dania and West Elm furniture. It lasted little as we split up and we fought over the stuff, I decided to cut my loses and leave it to him but then months after I was contacted by a lady that had been renting him the basement of her house as storage. He hadn't payed for 2 months, at the time $200 total, and told me if I paid her I could have it. I did and I got it but within all the moving the furniture started to become wobbly and stuff and now all I have of all those things is my dinning room table.I swore I would never spend so much money on furniture again.
Maybe I'll keep it..but Im not buying anything else! Lol

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #364 on: March 22, 2016, 03:13:21 PM »
That was a typo I didn't realize I had put in my $30 entry twice.  It was more like $47 counting the temporary color styling gel and moisturizing product from the beauty supply  I hadn't been out to that type of function since 2012.  I do not style my own hair on special occasions I go to the girl.    It was mostly leftover money from my small bonus but still....

I do own dress shoes but they're heels and I cannot walk in them.  So she recommended I get flats to wear. They closed my Payless for remodeling so I went grudgingly to Discount Shoe Warehouse.

On the Mustachian side I got credit for the receipts from Receipt Hog, a special on the makeup from Walgreens.

Given how long it had been since you had a night out like that you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. Plus, flats are very versatile. I would recommend watching a youtube video of an easy hairstyle you can do youself on a night out or invest in an inexpensive flat iron ($20?) And just iron your hair for nights out. It beats paying someone to style it every time :) I am THEE laziest with my long hair and my flat iron is my best friend!

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #365 on: March 22, 2016, 06:13:55 PM »
I bought a prom dress this week. I have to chaperone since I am a junior class sponsor, and I probably could have gotten away with wearing a black pantsuit I already own. Instead, I let a nagging feeling that that wouldn't be formal enough result in my spending $45.95 on EBay for a long silk dress and matching jacket. No one cares if chaperones look pretty.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #366 on: March 23, 2016, 10:02:48 AM »
I bought a prom dress this week. I have to chaperone since I am a junior class sponsor, and I probably could have gotten away with wearing a black pantsuit I already own. Instead, I let a nagging feeling that that wouldn't be formal enough result in my spending $45.95 on EBay for a long silk dress and matching jacket. No one cares if chaperones look pretty.

Not necessarily true. I remember noticing, 20 years ago, that the deputies supervising were wearing their dress uniforms. I appreciated the gesture.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #367 on: March 23, 2016, 10:03:14 AM »
I am frightened of putting heat on my hair since I nearly burned it all off blowing it dry and attempting to flat iron it over the years.  On my own I just wash condition and moisturize it.  I only allow licensed hairstylists or that one girl to apply heat to my head.  I am happy to say I am still enjoying the nail polish lol and I intend to keep my hair in this style for another 3-5 days at least until the itching becomes unbearable.  I did enjoy dressing up but it is good to be back to a nerdy girl with no makeup and my tops and pants.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #368 on: March 23, 2016, 09:25:01 PM »
I decided to treat myself to some fancy chocolates tonight because I had time to kill and I thought it would be nice to be financially supportive of Belgium. That would be OK, but I fell for the "if you spend just six more dollars we'll throw in a free bag of chocolate-covered caramels!" spiel. So by the time I got a pound of chocolates and the two little chocolate bunnies to get me over the line for the free caramels, I had spent too much money on more chocolate than I should be eating.

But the real facepunch is because after that, I said to myself, oh, I already spent too much tonight, I might as well go all out and get a drink at that fancy bar since I still have some time to kill before 8... That was a weak moment. And it wasn't even that good, definitely not worth the money. :-(

I'm going to go bite the ears off a chocolate bunny to make me feel better about being an idiot.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #369 on: March 23, 2016, 09:30:01 PM »
I'm going to go bite the ears off a chocolate bunny to make me feel better about being an idiot.
One of the great philosophical statements of our time

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #370 on: March 24, 2016, 06:49:36 PM »
Why hold back?  Take off its head.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #371 on: March 25, 2016, 04:20:34 PM »
Off with the head!

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #372 on: March 25, 2016, 07:10:38 PM »
I just signed up for a CITI AT&T card to get $650 back on an iphone 6s.   I'll sell my 5s for between $150 and $200.   I'll also upgrade to a 128G phone.  On the plus side I got my plan reduced to $75 plus tax for 2G data, two phones, unlimited text/calls, and data rollover.  We use 900MB a month.   I have to spend $2k in 3 months (about $1150 after phone).   Moving fios, cell bill, toll bill, netflix, audible, and a few other monthly bills should cover it.   

Also the new phone will improve the performance of my kickstarter Hexo+ drone.   Bought with profits from side gig of refurbishing and flipping bicycles.   With a 360 degree camera on board it should take some interesting overheads.

I did hold out using a flip phone for 2 years while my family members had iPhone 3;  my wife is now satisfied with her iPhone 5.

Ok,  FI is a couple more months out,  I'm to old for RE but should make FI by 2019.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:16:18 PM by robtown »

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #373 on: March 25, 2016, 07:24:23 PM »
I decided to treat myself to some fancy chocolates tonight because I had time to kill and I thought it would be nice to be financially supportive of Belgium. That would be OK, but I fell for the "if you spend just six more dollars we'll throw in a free bag of chocolate-covered caramels!" spiel. So by the time I got a pound of chocolates and the two little chocolate bunnies to get me over the line for the free caramels, I had spent too much money on more chocolate than I should be eating.

But the real facepunch is because after that, I said to myself, oh, I already spent too much tonight, I might as well go all out and get a drink at that fancy bar since I still have some time to kill before 8... That was a weak moment. And it wasn't even that good, definitely not worth the money. :-(

Best facepunch ever!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:29:43 PM by lunahsol »

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #374 on: April 05, 2016, 09:02:35 AM »
I bought a ticket to see Amon Amarth in concert in Charlotte, NC. That's a little less than $40. I will drive 2.5 hours to see a Viking death metal band on a weekday. $20, maybe. I will leave right after work and so will probably buy food and beer. Another $40. In years to come I will need hearing aids. $?,???.

No regrets. None. Facepunch away. I'll tell everyone at the concert that I got the bruise in a fight with a pirate.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #375 on: April 05, 2016, 09:18:53 AM »
I bought a ticket to see Amon Amarth in concert in Charlotte, NC. That's a little less than $40. I will drive 2.5 hours to see a Viking death metal band on a weekday. $20, maybe. I will leave right after work and so will probably buy food and beer. Another $40. In years to come I will need hearing aids. $4,500.

No regrets. None. Facepunch away. I'll tell everyone at the concert that I got the bruise in a fight with a pirate.

Yep. That's how much.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #376 on: April 05, 2016, 09:45:29 AM »
I bought a ticket to see Amon Amarth in concert in Charlotte, NC. That's a little less than $40. I will drive 2.5 hours to see a Viking death metal band on a weekday. $20, maybe. I will leave right after work and so will probably buy food and beer. Another $40. In years to come I will need hearing aids. $?,???.

If you think the concert will be ear-damagingly loud, just pick up a pair of musician's earplugs. $15-$20 and they are designed for listening to music so you don't lose all the high-end like you do with foam plugs.

I went to over 200 concerts last year. Earplugs are our friends :-)

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #377 on: April 05, 2016, 09:49:42 AM »
That's a great idea, Dollar Slice! I'll look into it. My ears are already on the downhill slope thanks to genetics and Motley Crue, but I'm not in any hurry to worsen the damage. Thank you!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #378 on: April 05, 2016, 10:30:02 AM »
That's a great idea, Dollar Slice! I'll look into it. My ears are already on the downhill slope thanks to genetics and Motley Crue, but I'm not in any hurry to worsen the damage. Thank you!

I have the genetics thing going against me - multiple generations of women losing their hearing. In my 20s I would use foam earplugs, then discovered the Etymotic ER-20s, and I invested in a pair of custom-fit professional music earplugs ($150) four years ago. I have used them hundreds of times and I love them. Really worth it. But in the last four years a ton of companies have started making non-custom ones which are much cheaper and give you some great options and a more comfortable fit.

Also, this is my 666th post and it is talking about heavy metal concerts. \m/

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #379 on: April 05, 2016, 10:51:05 AM »
I spent $54 for my son's birthday last week he turned 22.  I got him a Mod Pizza giftcard since they have dairy free cheese, dairy free whoopie pies and dairy free cheesecake and ice cream from Whole Foods.  Please facepunch me...

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #380 on: April 06, 2016, 07:12:27 AM »

This was pretty much me on Weight Watchers. "Well I messed up and used too many points this week. Clearly my life is ruined now, so it won't matter if I go and eat that huge plate of alfredo pasta with giant brownie sundae for dessert."

So I need a facepunch for being an idiot. Went to buy two (nonrefundable) 10-ride train tickets and bought both for the wrong zone. Ended up spending $11 too much, so now I think I'll run out transit FSA funds before the end of the month and will have to cover some out of pocket. That on top of me forgetting my ticket and bus pass once last month, which led to me having to pay like $10 out of pocket then too!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #381 on: April 13, 2016, 09:55:37 AM »
Also, this is my 666th post and it is talking about heavy metal concerts. \m/

lolol

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #382 on: April 14, 2016, 02:26:57 AM »
I paid $7 for those Biore things you stick to your nose to clean your pores bad bad me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #383 on: April 14, 2016, 06:36:39 AM »
I paid $7 for those Biore things you stick to your nose to clean your pores bad bad me
You can buy an entire roll of duct tape for $7 and do your whole body.

Sent from my iPhone
That may be rather more antimustachian !

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #384 on: April 14, 2016, 06:44:18 AM »
A couple of years ago I used to buy Shakeology ($140/bag).  I found they were prefect in my road warrior bag when I would sometimes have less than 5 minutes to consume a meal (other than drive thru) as I ran to meet the next client.

I just threw out 3 bags of this stuff because the expiration has long passed (my doctor advised I not drink them during pregnancy).

Basically I just tossed $420 in the trash. 

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #385 on: April 14, 2016, 07:15:48 AM »

Sent from my iPhone
That may be rather more antimustachian !
Lol, it automatically puts the 'sent from my iPhone' message when you use 'Tapatalk'. I don't consider my iPhone too antimoustachian though as I had my IPhone 3GS for 4.5 years until it broke then I bought the 5S upfront it's 2 years old and I will keep it as long as possible, then I'll see what other cheaper smart phone I can get

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #386 on: April 14, 2016, 07:19:57 AM »
I went to over 200 concerts last year.
Ho-Lee shit! You said that on this thread and you're not seeking a facepunch? Details, please. Is it work related? Are you a music critic? Wow, just thinking about that is making my ears ring.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #387 on: April 14, 2016, 09:08:38 AM »
Ho-Lee shit! You said that on this thread and you're not seeking a facepunch? Details, please. Is it work related? Are you a music critic? Wow, just thinking about that is making my ears ring.

It's my passion and my hobby and it's worth it to me. I've had a few chances at writing reviews (and PR) but decided it's not for me, at least not right now. Not enough time in the day between concerts, public transit commutes, and my day job.

Like any expensive hobby, it's not good for my FIRE date, but that's my choice and I don't see it as facepunchy. It's not wasteful, it's not bad for the environment, it's not hurting anyone (including me), and I'm still saving a decent chunk of my pay and have a six-figure net worth with zero debt. I'm putting money into the pockets of people and organizations that I want to support. I've gotten to be friends with lots of musicians and music fans and I feel I'm part of that community.

I don't know if you are one of the many people who assumes that "concert" means "going out to see some has-been baby-boomer rock band in a stadium for $300" but I can assure you that is not the case here... ;-) According to Mint my average concert ticket price last year was ~$17. I make good use of memberships, discounts, gifts, and freebies whenever possible to save money. My mind is constantly boggling over the fact that I can see world-class musicians every week for under $20 a pop. You can literally see some of the best musicians in the world for free on a regular basis in this city, it's amazing! I mean, yeah, I could stay home and watch Netflix to kill time like most folks, but I'd rather throw away my TV and cancel my subscriptions and go out and see incredible people doing amazing things.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #388 on: April 14, 2016, 09:10:54 AM »

It's my passion and my hobby and it's worth it to me. I've had a few chances at writing reviews (and PR) but decided it's not for me, at least not right now. Not enough time in the day between concerts, public transit commutes, and my day job.

Like any expensive hobby, it's not good for my FIRE date, but that's my choice and I don't see it as facepunchy. It's not wasteful, it's not bad for the environment, it's not hurting anyone (including me), and I'm still saving a decent chunk of my pay and have a six-figure net worth with zero debt. I'm putting money into the pockets of people and organizations that I want to support. I've gotten to be friends with lots of musicians and music fans and I feel I'm part of that community.

I don't know if you are one of the many people who assumes that "concert" means "going out to see some has-been baby-boomer rock band in a stadium for $300" but I can assure you that is not the case here... ;-) According to Mint my average concert ticket price last year was ~$17. I make good use of memberships, discounts, gifts, and freebies whenever possible to save money. My mind is constantly boggling over the fact that I can see world-class musicians every week for under $20 a pop. You can literally see some of the best musicians in the world for free on a regular basis in this city, it's amazing! I mean, yeah, I could stay home and watch Netflix to kill time like most folks, but I'd rather throw away my TV and cancel my subscriptions and go out and see incredible people doing amazing things.

Awesome.  But does $20 include the awesome Italian that goes with the concert/did you end up going last night?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #389 on: April 14, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
Awesome.  But does $20 include the awesome Italian that goes with the concert/did you end up going last night?

I didn't end up going yesterday as I left work with a blinding headache. But that place is "$10 suggested donation" for every show, so it brings the concert prices down even as it brings my liquor expenses up ;-)  I don't drink alcohol almost ever, but there is something about the atmosphere of that place that just begs for a glass of wine and maybe some almonds or a plate of their fresh-baked-on-the-premises bread with gorgeous olive oil...

I only go there a few times a year, it's clearly a dangerous spot for MMMers! But the place is owned and run by musicians and sometimes they get acts in there that I just can't possibly miss, the kind of show where you almost have to wonder what kind of blackmail was involved in getting this particular act to play in a 25-seat wine bar in Bed-Stuy.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #390 on: April 17, 2016, 01:59:16 PM »
I've been doing really well targeting 'big' expenses however just realised my 'latte factor' is out of control, I've been buying 2-3 coffees a day to the tune of close to $2000/year so feel free to face-punch me.

I'm about to go on holidays so after I come back I need to cutdown badly. We are getting a free coffee machine at work in about 2 months so this should help also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirSavesaLot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #391 on: April 17, 2016, 04:08:54 PM »

I think the whole point of the Mustachian lifestyle is to be able to do what brings you happiness (so long as it doesn't waste the earth's resources or otherwise trash the environment).  This fits in perfectly with that.  If it makes you happy to postpone a FIRE date for this, go right ahead. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #392 on: April 17, 2016, 10:34:31 PM »
I think the whole point of the Mustachian lifestyle is to be able to do what brings you happiness (so long as it doesn't waste the earth's resources or otherwise trash the environment).  This fits in perfectly with that.  If it makes you happy to postpone a FIRE date for this, go right ahead.

Yeah, exactly. I don't feel bad about that at all. It makes me very happy and is a net positive for my community. The only thing it hurts is my FIRE date and I'm the only one affected by that.

My family and friends are often perplexed by how I seem to spend so freely on concert tickets while I strongly resist "normal" expenditures like taking taxis and going out for drinks and restaurant dinners - for me those are all special occasion, exception-to-the-rule expenditures. I literally had three different people in the last week bugging me about why I don't take taxis more often. Anti-mustachian peer pressure!

I've actually been having to convince myself to spend more on taxis lately because I've been dealing with medical issues that make it painful to walk, and after years of telling myself that taxis are only for emergencies and lazy people who love wasting money, it's tough to get in the mindset that spending $25 is probably OK if it means you will not be in near-constant pain for two days afterwards. It's a hard line to draw - how much walking is too much walking, how much pain is too much pain? How do you put a dollar value on pain? Comes up a lot in other areas too - how much is OK to spend on convenience food when it hurts to spend half an hour standing in the kitchen, etc.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #393 on: April 18, 2016, 02:32:35 PM »
Well, our trip to Argentina was SUPPOSED to be Mustachian.

On the day of the wedding, a few hours before it started, I pulled my suit out of the closet and discovered a giant tear in the coat's sleeve that somehow occurred while wearing it on the flight or carrying it thereafter - I have no clue at all. We promptly freaked out (OK, mostly DW freaked out) and flailed all over town at various solutions before eventually blowing $500 on an entire new suit. I haven't spend $500 on clothes in five friggin' years, guys. I still feel like a moron, but oh well. The cash ended up coming out of the spending money her grandma always gives her when we arrive, but still... still... good gawd!!!! :(

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #394 on: April 18, 2016, 06:30:56 PM »

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #395 on: April 18, 2016, 10:41:52 PM »
http://facepunch.me/
Lol I will have to open this link next time I'm thinking of doing something face punch worthy

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #396 on: April 19, 2016, 11:47:22 AM »
I test-drove a new Ford C-Max Energi yesterday. It's so cool...

I'm debating whether I need a different car as mine doesn't have ESC.

My wife hates the idea of a used car and really wants to keep our Fit, and I'm not sure what the right answer is on that.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #397 on: April 19, 2016, 01:22:53 PM »
I needed a total face punch yesterday- to bad I wasn't sitting at my desk where I could get one.

I left my foundation for a gig on Sunday- tried to get the cheaper one- fail. So off to sephora- not only did I get my foundation- I got something else- to the tune of 62$.
Wrong color foundation- hate it- return it- well okay- I'll exchange it.
Wrong color highligher- but moonstone is pretty too.
<girl at the counter>
well- I can't find it- but if you straight exchange it it's a none issue.

Facepunch- took BOTH products I exchanged home.

Immediately felt bad for spending more money- and when I feel bad I spend money. So I spent more at old navy.  And then felt worse.
facepunch in deed.

Old navy stuff is going back on Thursday when I get a chance to go back. under adult supervision- because I cannot be trusted.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #398 on: April 19, 2016, 08:08:59 PM »

Oh contraire, that was not a critic-ism, it was an amazement-ism! If you had said you'd bowled 200 times or gone to the movies 200 times, I might have had a similar reaction. Doing ANYTHING 200 out of 365 days shows an extreme level of dedication. I was simply very curious about your back story. Frankly, my life isn't very mustachian at all any more, because it doesn't have to be. Nobody's "has" to be, especially once FIRE is reached. I belive in mindful spending, pre- and post-FIRE. Hair shirts (and bicycles) are just not in my vocabulary.

Funny, I follow people whose voice(s) i like on these boards and I think I have a tiny glimpse of what they might be like in "real life". And then they casually slip something into the conversation that reveals a whole other unimagined side of them. It was that way for me when you laid that number down. I'm interested in your story, not facepunching you. That said, I'm still surprised that no one did. Unless your music passion has been thoroughly discussed elsewhere, while I was out hiking or something.

And now that I'm getting on in years, loud music in small venues hurts my ears something fierce.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #399 on: April 19, 2016, 11:14:40 PM »
Oh contraire, that was not a critic-ism, it was an amazement-ism! If you had said you'd bowled 200 times or gone to the movies 200 times, I might have had a similar reaction. Doing ANYTHING 200 out of 365 days shows an extreme level of dedication. I was simply very curious about your back story.

I'm not sure if it will make me seem more or less crazy, but I often go to more than one concert per day/night, so it's less than 200 days out of 365... But, yes, it is an extreme level of dedication. I've found 'my people,' though - I now have lots of friends and acquaintances who are just as much into live music as me. :-)

Backstory-wise... is there one? Sort of. I have always loved music. I have always liked concerts. But the live music obsession didn't start until I started listening to jazz - as a live art form it is really special since improvisation is a key part of it and every performance is unique (much more so than a classical performance or a rock band). I saw a concert in 2006 and it included four bands: two chamber ensembles (strings) and two jazz groups (one acoustic, one electric). It was an incredible show - I still remember how stunned I felt after the first piece ended - and my ears were just thrown wide open after that. That was the night I felt like I understood jazz for the first time, and I understood why live music was special. That was the spark that started the fire which has, I guess, grown into quite a conflagration. It almost feels like an addiction - most of the time you're just going to "maintenance" concerts, a nice night out, enjoyable, interesting, fun, whatever - but you're always chasing the high of those rare extraordinary performances. Goosebumps. Tears. Laughter. Awe. Moments you remember for years afterwards.