Author Topic: FacePunch Me  (Read 152330 times)

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
Re: FacePunch Me
« Reply #300 on: October 30, 2015, 02:36:35 PM »
I got a speeding ticket. $168! I was lost and trying to figure out where I was and not watching the speed limit.

In retrospect, Boulder's Baseline Road is a super-obvious speed trap.
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #301 on: October 30, 2015, 06:06:15 PM »
With apologies to Dune:

"I will not spend.
Spend is the stash-killer.
Spend is the little-death that obliterates FIRE.
I will face my spend.
I will permit spend to pass over my budget and through my budget.
And when it has gone past I will turn the holy spreadsheet to list its path.
Where the spend has gone there will be badassity. My budget will remain."

This is the best.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #302 on: October 31, 2015, 07:01:06 AM »
With apologies to Dune:

"I will not spend.
Spend is the stash-killer.
Spend is the little-death that obliterates FIRE.
I will face my spend.
I will permit spend to pass over my budget and through my budget.
And when it has gone past I will turn the holy spreadsheet to list its path.
Where the spend has gone there will be badassity. My budget will remain."

This is the best.

I agree, and I'm stealing it for a motto. :D

I spent $10 on candy for the kids yesterday because I grabbed the wrong bag and couldn't bring myself to take it back when I was at the register. :/
“Except when awesome is just awesome, because sometimes it is.” - Scrubby

Journal: Racing towards zero

Where I started...

Long term goals:  Stay fit, NW0 by 39, and FI by 50.  Required SR:  66%.  SR goal for monthly income: 60%.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #303 on: November 02, 2015, 01:05:46 AM »

2) I will get an iPhone 6 in the next few weeks and sign up to a new data plan. I've been realising how important my ye olde iPhone (which is gradually dying) is to my mental health and well being, particularly while going through cancer treatment. I can play games, read forums and blogs that soothe the anxiety or distract me in endless waiting rooms or yukky medical procedures, I can talk to various friends on social media so I feel less isolated and lonely, do online banking anywhere, check the weather (and the all-important UV levels), do quick online research of medical options or people I need to phone, and of course, make phone calls and text people. It's not a financially optimised decision but is optimised for my quality of life over the next couple of years. Online community has been important for me for 20 years (pretty much since I got my first Unix email account at uni).

anyone who face punches over this, deserves one right back but lower, lol.  I am sorry you are ill, and I hope better days are around the bend.

I got my first "email" account in '88 at college, I don't think it was even called that and it was only good for messages within the University system. I was amazed. I feel like a woman so old she remembers life before cars and washing machines, lol. 

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #304 on: November 02, 2015, 01:09:38 AM »

2) I will get an iPhone 6 in the next few weeks and sign up to a new data plan. I've been realising how important my ye olde iPhone (which is gradually dying) is to my mental health and well being, particularly while going through cancer treatment. I can play games, read forums and blogs that soothe the anxiety or distract me in endless waiting rooms or yukky medical procedures, I can talk to various friends on social media so I feel less isolated and lonely, do online banking anywhere, check the weather (and the all-important UV levels), do quick online research of medical options or people I need to phone, and of course, make phone calls and text people. It's not a financially optimised decision but is optimised for my quality of life over the next couple of years. Online community has been important for me for 20 years (pretty much since I got my first Unix email account at uni).

[/quote]

anyone who face punches over this, deserves one right back but lower, lol.  I am sorry you are ill, and I hope better days are around the bend.

I got my first "email" account in '88 at college, I don't think it was even called that and it was only good for messages within the University system. I was amazed. I feel like a woman so old she remembers life before cars and washing machines, lol. 

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #305 on: November 04, 2015, 11:15:33 AM »
I was paying a medical bill online and saw that if I paid within 10 days (I was) then I could take a 15% discount.  I typed in the full amount, doh!  Spent an extra $1.50 about.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #306 on: November 05, 2015, 07:32:25 PM »
Thinking about spending $800 on a spare bed this weekend.

Our current spare bed is a second-hand frame that we picked up on eBay more than six years ago, with a new mattress.

It's now structurally weak (the head and foot have bowed) and the three mesh panels that hold up the mattress keep falling through the frame. Followed by the mattress. And whatever happens to be on the mattress.

We have a small apartment and we keep things stored beneath the spare bed, so I'm looking at buying a gas-lift bed to make storage easier. But they're fairly new and you can't find them second-hand on eBay. (I could buy a new gas-lift bed on eBay for $200 but I would rather go with a reputable supplier when this mechanism is involved.)

My other justification is that we buy a good bed that we both love it gives us options if/when it's ever time to replace our bed.

Punch away...

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #307 on: November 05, 2015, 07:43:51 PM »

Allison

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #308 on: November 06, 2015, 07:18:35 AM »
I am ready for the ultimate facepunch.  I have been getting a venti 2-pump toffee nut mocha from starbucks everyday for a year.  I finally ordered an electric tea kettle, travel mug and tea from Amazon for less than 1 week of Starbucks.

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #309 on: November 06, 2015, 07:56:05 AM »
I am ready for the ultimate facepunch.  I have been getting a venti 2-pump toffee nut mocha from starbucks everyday for a year.  I finally ordered an electric tea kettle, travel mug and tea from Amazon for less than 1 week of Starbucks.

Dude. Every day. For a year. I admire your bravery for putting that out there in this forum ;) congrats on making the change... that's a LOT of savings just about to roll in for you right there. 

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #310 on: November 06, 2015, 08:37:45 AM »

I WANT to facepunch, but you appear to have already had the realization that a facepunch delivers.  PLEASE: follow up after a week or two or ten and tell us how you are doing with the tea kettle, travel mug and tea.

FIRE in 2020.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #311 on: November 06, 2015, 09:29:20 AM »

Good god, I do not want to know what your insulin sensitivty looks like! If nothing else, give it up for your health!

But kudos on making this change. Stick with it 30 days, and it will get a LOT easier. (Actually, that would be a great gauntlet thread- I know there are several people trying to give up the "latte factor" right now!)
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #312 on: November 06, 2015, 11:03:29 AM »

Good god, I do not want to know what your insulin sensitivty looks like! If nothing else, give it up for your health!

But kudos on making this change. Stick with it 30 days, and it will get a LOT easier. (Actually, that would be a great gauntlet thread- I know there are several people trying to give up the "latte factor" right now!)

Way to make a change Allison!  I'm not sure if you're already a tea drinker or not, but when I was trying to acclimate myself I started with chai (complete with milk and honey in it) before moving to Lady Grey, and the likes (with no additives). 

Petuniajo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #313 on: November 06, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »

No joke, I was *just* coming on to post that I committed the ultimate mustachian sin: I drove myself to Starbucks and spent $10 (10 f-ing dollars!) on a latte and a fruit/cheese/nut box today. Thank you for our honesty, because now I'm only going to give myself a little facepalm rather than a full-on face punch :)

Allison

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #314 on: November 09, 2015, 08:31:20 AM »

Way to make a change Allison!  I'm not sure if you're already a tea drinker or not, but when I was trying to acclimate myself I started with chai (complete with milk and honey in it) before moving to Lady Grey, and the likes (with no additives).

Today was my first day of no Starbucks....it was hard.  It took the fancy electric tea kettle 5! minutes to heat up and I put too much coffee mix in.  But I think I can do it with no problems. 

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #315 on: November 09, 2015, 09:50:20 AM »
There have been at least four people (to my knowledge) killed or severely injured right by the Starbucks nearest my office in the past few weeks. Makes it a lot easier to avoid that particular temptation, although I can't really recommend it as a money-saving device... :-/
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #316 on: November 13, 2015, 08:39:23 AM »
I ate subway for lunch yesterday because I needed to get away from work. I had brought a lunch with me.
I also spend about $40 every Tuesday on "family time" with my wife and father-in-law. Still trying to find a way out of that one without hurting any feelings or looking cheap.

Allison

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #317 on: November 30, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »
Today was my first day of no Starbucks....it was hard.  It took the fancy electric tea kettle 5! minutes to heat up and I put too much coffee mix in.  But I think I can do it with no problems.

Hey, hi, howzit? We're not properly introduced, but I too am a daily Starbucks-er. I agree that it's a shop of pure delight. But, er, good job staying away. Because, yes! This post is about support and praise. Congratulations, and be strong! You can do it. (take me with you!)

Take away my face punch please!  I have used my electric kettle and coffee mug to bring coffee for 2ish weeks now.  And I like it better than Starbucks!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #318 on: December 17, 2015, 08:15:26 AM »
Window shopping for jewels on Etsy. Didn't buy anything again, but want, want want.
Why do I keep wanting something as pointless and expensive as jewels?!
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #319 on: December 17, 2015, 08:24:04 AM »
Who doesn't like pretty sparkly things?  I deal with this by beading as a hobby. I get my beads from thrift shops, garage sales and bargain tables, and my findings from EBay. Done this way, it's an inexpensive way to get pretty jewelry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #320 on: December 21, 2015, 11:31:37 AM »
I paid full price for two cookbooks for myself and my brother called the Thug Kitchen.  I also ate out Saturday.  Please facepunch me....

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #321 on: December 21, 2015, 04:48:22 PM »
I paid full price for two cookbooks for myself and my brother called the Thug Kitchen.  I also ate out Saturday.  Please facepunch me....

I can't facepunch you on that because their motto is "Eat like you give a fuck". That's about as mustashian as it gets...now, you've spent the dough on the book, you gotta do two things:

1) Get your money's worth out of the book by USING IT AT HOME.
2) Tell us if you're cooking with it and how much money you've saved. I mean, that's why you bought it, right?

Well, the eating out, was it at-least "cheap and good"? Bring on the eating-out pr0n.
FIRE in 2020.

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #322 on: December 22, 2015, 04:23:05 AM »
Christmas presents. Just..... Ugh. My partner is so generous and makes much more than I do (though I always ask for us to stick to a reasonable budget), that I feel awful if I don't reciprocate to the same level. Just counted, and there are 10 presents under the tree for me from him (I feel like Dudley Dursley- more presents, more!!!!). I'd be happy with one each, $50 limit- ive suggested this each year, to no avail. Now I feel like I should go and buy him more to reciprocate (I've spent more than I could really afford On him already). Sigh. First world whines!!! I'll face punch myself...
Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #323 on: December 22, 2015, 07:10:16 AM »
we went to a small place in Virginia called Tony's NY Style pizza.  They also have killer pasta it is a little pricey but worth it.  I got 2 slices of Sicilian with my favorite toppings.  I usually only indulge there when celebrating something. 

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #324 on: December 22, 2015, 07:18:09 AM »

No face punches from me since I'm thinking of buying it myself. I love the recipes on the website. Is love to here if the recipes in the book are equally awesome.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #325 on: December 22, 2015, 12:03:25 PM »
Plus I figured with my son's diet issues he can safely eat some of the recipes in it as well.  I am looking forward to breaking it in.  I confess I got 20% off the books by renewing my B&N membership.  Now to repent until the next payday.

OurTown

• Bristles
« Reply #326 on: December 30, 2015, 09:55:14 AM »
DW and I received gift cards over the holidays for fine dining.  We ate, drank, and were merry.  Total bill:  $150 OVER the amount of our gift card! 

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #327 on: December 30, 2015, 03:28:34 PM »
First 'restaurant' meal since mid-October.  Stopped and got Domino's on the way home with the kids.  $9. 

Where I started...

Long term goals:  Stay fit, NW0 by 39, and FI by 50.  Required SR:  66%.  SR goal for monthly income: 60%.

smella

• Stubble
« Reply #328 on: December 31, 2015, 12:52:42 PM »
I have kept my Christmas Lights (1 string) on all month! :-O

crispy

• Bristles
« Reply #329 on: January 03, 2016, 06:56:56 PM »
I just booked my youngest daughter a birthday party at the American Girl store.  It's kind of ridiculous, but she will love it.

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #330 on: January 03, 2016, 08:00:54 PM »
While attempting to clean my dishwasher, I both disabled it (been hand-washing for days) and also destroyed an $18 nut. (Replacement on the way from Amazon.)
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #331 on: January 04, 2016, 08:49:04 AM »
So months and months ago I posted on here about my $500 facepunch worthy bra shopping spree. Well, I registered my purchases on Citi's price rewind, and 3 months later, I got $150 back! My face punch is lightly less painful now (and with bras that fit, so is my back!).

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #332 on: January 04, 2016, 01:19:34 PM »
Just after Christmas I bought a heavily (~20%) discounted gift card on Raise.com. Felt great about getting a deal on something I would buy anyway. Now I seem to have lost the gift card. :-(  I think I might have accidentally recycled it with the envelope it came in when I was hurriedly cleaning up for company.

Ugh.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #333 on: February 11, 2016, 12:30:51 PM »
I've been holding a carbon bike frame for a couple of years after snagging it on Craigslist for $300 (new value, $700 or so) and have been waffling ever since then over building it up or just trying to get my money back.

I had planned on getting no tax refund this year, but due to some surprises I hadn't factored in, it's like $4K (fed+state). Do I get a facepunch if I finally drop the several hundred my bike pro friends tell me will be requird to do this frame justice?

I know I'll ride a lot more if I do it... that much I know.
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

Tabitha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #334 on: February 18, 2016, 02:12:30 PM »
$1k of the gutters is the leafguard.  I have about ten feet of run that is so high my ladder won't reach - and I have a thing about heights and getting on the roof, so I just don't clean those.  Once I decided to get the leafguard there, it seemed easiest to just get the whole thing.  This is where spending gets out of control - when you start going "Well considering how much I'm ALREADY spending, what the heck?" 

Wha?!? You can buy the leaf guards and DIY for much cheaper.

Something like this doesn't even take skill:
 http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/page.aspx?p=58799&cat=2,42194,33169&ap=1

Though I do wonder if used artificial Christmas tree branches would work.

Tabitha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #335 on: February 18, 2016, 02:28:52 PM »
Sitting in an airport with a longer than usual layover*. First flight was in to the U.S., so really limited in what food I could bring, but I brought cheese n nuts. That should have been enough, but apparently I'm weak today.  I really enjoyed that burger n drink. I must have 'cause I spent $25 on it.

* autocorrect wanted to correct that to "flay over". I wanted to let it.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #336 on: February 18, 2016, 02:52:27 PM »
Sitting in an airport with a longer than usual layover*. First flight was in to the U.S., so really limited in what food I could bring, but I brought cheese n nuts. That should have been enough, but apparently I'm weak today.  I really enjoyed that burger n drink. I must have 'cause I spent $25 on it.

* autocorrect wanted to correct that to "flay over". I wanted to let it.
The two pretty much feel the same to me.
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #337 on: February 18, 2016, 03:24:10 PM »
$1k of the gutters is the leafguard.  I have about ten feet of run that is so high my ladder won't reach - and I have a thing about heights and getting on the roof, so I just don't clean those.  Once I decided to get the leafguard there, it seemed easiest to just get the whole thing.  This is where spending gets out of control - when you start going "Well considering how much I'm ALREADY spending, what the heck?" 

Do you know if these would work to keep pine needles out of gutters?  I have a giant pine tree that makes a huge mess in my gutters, but not a lot of deciduous leaves. 

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #338 on: February 19, 2016, 09:59:53 AM »

Do you know if these would work to keep pine needles out of gutters?  I have a giant pine tree that makes a huge mess in my gutters, but not a lot of deciduous leaves. 

Probably not.  My grandmother had something similar and tree seeds would get between them and start growing.  The new saplings would catch other stuff.  In the end, I think the product she had was more of a problem than just cleaning the gutters regularly.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #339 on: February 19, 2016, 10:50:48 AM »

Probably not.  My grandmother had something similar and tree seeds would get between them and start growing.  The new saplings would catch other stuff.  In the end, I think the product she had was more of a problem than just cleaning the gutters regularly.

Boo.  oh well.  I guess we'll just keep crawling around on the roof a few times a year then. 

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #340 on: February 19, 2016, 10:58:06 AM »
I got a speeding ticket. $168! I was lost and trying to figure out where I was and not watching the speed limit.

In retrospect, Boulder's Baseline Road is a super-obvious speed trap.

Turned right at an intersection, but did not come to a complete stop at the red light.

I've been driving for almost 20 years and have never gotten a ticket.

$498USD + $60 traffic school + many hours of cutting and pasting the answers before taking the test.

Oh, the pain.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #341 on: February 19, 2016, 11:53:42 AM »
So she just had to introduce roof rabbits to eat the saplings, then roof foxes to eat the rabbits, then roof wolves to eat the foxes .....
I thing there is a nursery rhyme describing the entire process

Nederstash

• Stubble
« Reply #342 on: February 19, 2016, 12:32:50 PM »
I lost my bike... I parked it at the train station but I forgot where exactly. As you can see on the picture (not taken by me, but of the place where I park normally), it's not easy to find it again if you don't make a mental note.

Anyway, I was tired after work, didn't feel like searching so I took a bus for 3 euro. I'll need to take another bus tomorrow (another 3 euro) to search for my bike.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #343 on: February 19, 2016, 12:58:55 PM »
Oh man, reminds me of Copenhagen.  Definitely not a problem on the rare days I bike to work here in NYC.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #344 on: February 25, 2016, 10:49:27 AM »
I forgot my lunch today and had to go out to eat at work.  I also bought 2 new tops and books at a really good Salvation Army.  Please facepunch me....

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #345 on: February 25, 2016, 09:01:49 PM »
I lost my bike... I parked it at the train station but I forgot where exactly. As you can see on the picture (not taken by me, but of the place where I park normally), it's not easy to find it again if you don't make a mental note.

Anyway, I was tired after work, didn't feel like searching so I took a bus for 3 euro. I'll need to take another bus tomorrow (another 3 euro) to search for my bike.

Meh, I'd probably spend 6 euro to not have to wade through that sea of bikes when I was already tired... Now if it looked like your average bike rack here where I live, then it would definitely be facepunch-worthy. Here it would be unusual to see a rack with 20 bikes.

I think this should be posted in the Mustachian People Problems. "I lost my bike at the train station because there were 600 other ones."

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #346 on: February 26, 2016, 06:43:41 AM »
I'm not sure if this is facepunch-worthy, but I finally moved my roommate out.  Her lease ended in 2014, and she's hung around even after I got married and he moved in, but she's moving out this weekend.  This is great for our tiny Manhattan apartment life, but there goes 1K/monthly.

That will definitely affect my savings rate for 2016.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #347 on: February 26, 2016, 11:52:22 AM »
Bought a latte at Starbucks today.  Because this week has been long and I wanted caffeine and sugar. :/

Where I started...

chetmanly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #348 on: February 26, 2016, 01:06:58 PM »
I think I may have everyone here beat. I'm new to this and last night I got home and I was exhausted, I didn't want to cook and the leftovers we had sounded about as appealing as a full body massage from a sheet. I told my wife I'm going to the restaurant that was a block and a half away, I agonized for a moment over walking or driving and I decided I was driving over.

The second I stepped outside I thought, "Hey, it's a pleasant night, I'll walk."

So I walked for ten minutes, got to the restaurant and thought "Huh, I was totally willing to walk over, but not reheat an unappealing casserole?"

$23.00 and ten minutes later I am back home with my non-casserole feast.

The human mind is weird.

Nederstash

• Stubble
« Reply #349 on: February 26, 2016, 02:22:10 PM »

Meh, I'd probably spend 6 euro to not have to wade through that sea of bikes when I was already tired... Now if it looked like your average bike rack here where I live, then it would definitely be facepunch-worthy. Here it would be unusual to see a rack with 20 bikes.

I think this should be posted in the Mustachian People Problems. "I lost my bike at the train station because there were 600 other ones."

Because I'm a giant fail, I lost my bike again today. I parked it in the big bike parking 'garage' on the other side of the station. It took me almost fifteen minutes, because my brain thankfully kicked in then. I just looked up how big this parking place is... 4200 spaces across 3 floors. Note to self: remember floor + row number...