Author Topic: Facebook people seem so hopeless  (Read 8091 times)

ACyclist

• Bristles
Facebook people seem so hopeless
« on: April 11, 2018, 05:04:49 PM »
Y'know those articles like, You should have X amount saved by a certain age.  I was impressed that I have about 6 times my annual salary saved.  The article stated that I should have that by age 60.  I am not even 50 yet.
<Note:  I am not as prepared as some of you people, but I am working hard to catch up>

Anyway, reading the comments, it makes me sad.  People seem without hope.  Most of the comments were those of "I can't save at all."  Many seem to have very little saved. 

Then, I read a few comments like "Saving is for losers with no life."  Another one argued that saving is dumb, because you could die before spending the money or that the State is going to take it. 

Wow.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Facebook people seem so hopeless
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 05:43:34 PM »
It's the same conversation in my profession in the fitness world. Lots of learned helplessness and self-destructive behaviour. But the economy relies on this.

In Australia since 2000, net public debt has risen $550bn, and household debt $1,200bn, for a total growth of $1,750bn debt. Meanwhile, the GDP has grown by $800bn. We needed to spend more than $2 to get $1 of economic growth. The economy is growing at 2-3% annually, and our debt is increasing by 14%. Our spending is going up faster than our income.

Economic growth would stall if people didn't spend more than they earned, and if growth stalls then the only hope for poor people is taking the rich's money, which means a rise in criminal, revolution and all that. KEEP SPENDING.

ProxyRetired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 07:10:27 PM »
I'm amazed the level of hate, anger, stupidity and loathing for fellow humans on Facebook. It's insane. People forget they're anonymous on Facebook when they're so mean. Someday, it'll bite you in the ass. Someday.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 09:33:35 PM »
For the true depths of human despair and helpless frustration, you have to go to Yahoo article comments. THAT is a cesspool. However, the shock wears off when you realize most posts are from bots.

Among humans, have you ever noticed how screen time is associated with learned helplessness? Maybe that's why MMM cut back his blogging.

ProxyRetired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:13:20 AM »
For the true depths of human despair and helpless frustration, you have to go to Yahoo article comments. THAT is a cesspool. However, the shock wears off when you realize most posts are from bots.

Online comments are bad, try going into "local community" Facebook groups. I've never seen so much raw hatred for people's neighbors openly displayed.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 09:39:59 AM »

Online comments are bad, try going into "local community" Facebook groups. I've never seen so much raw hatred for people's neighbors openly displayed.

I feel like some people get used to the idea of anonymity or even just being far enough away from the people they're talking to that they won't need to interact with them in person. Then they carry that over to all online conversations where in some cases they do see these people in real life but don't quite make the connection.

Or maybe I'm naïve and just don't understand people. I remember the first time I saw neighbors argue over one person having junk in their yard that the other person didn't want to look at. It was so foreign to me that one person could fuss at another person they barely knew and would be living next to for the foreseeable future. My brain short circuited and I just stared at her trying to figure out if she was being sarcastic.

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 09:56:43 AM »

I live in South Carolina. For a peek into the absolute dregs of humanity, head on over to any of the local news pages & peruse through the comments sections of each story. I have honestly wondered to myself how some of these people managed to rub two brain cells together long enough to create a Facebook profile to begin with.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »
I'm amazed the level of hate, anger, stupidity and loathing for fellow humans on Facebook. It's insane. People forget they're anonymous on Facebook when they're so mean. Someday, it'll bite you in the ass. Someday.
It is. People getting turned down for jobs they were qualified for since HR decided to do social media checks to assess if the applicant would fit into the corporate world.
Not having social media is an insurance aspect for my job, can't post in anger/drunk moods, get to do more productive offline stuff. Been hitting the gym more over the last year, spending more time with family. #Winning #NoFOMO
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:07:57 AM by jinga nation »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 10:33:46 AM »
Social media and comments sections have enabled people to use their anonymity to lash out and it appears that the people who do it the most tend to be uneducated about the subject matter or just plain bored.  I get the first part. People have been getting on soapboxes about things they know nothing about forever.  It's the trolling and vile comments I don't understand.  Is there that little going on in your life that you're taking the time to smack a hornet's nest for your own entertainment?  You can't have a discussion about the validity of two plus two equaling four without someone interrupting you with "Nazis! Trump! Snowflakes!"  It's so prolific now you can't tell the difference between the troll and the true believer, and when the only people talking (or shouting) are the ignorant, the racists, or the keyboard warriors, the topic is now in their hands and we're all worse off for it.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 12:30:41 PM »
Social media and comments sections have enabled people to use their anonymity to lash out and it appears that the people who do it the most tend to be uneducated about the subject matter or just plain bored.  I get the first part. People have been getting on soapboxes about things they know nothing about forever.  It's the trolling and vile comments I don't understand.  Is there that little going on in your life that you're taking the time to smack a hornet's nest for your own entertainment?  You can't have a discussion about the validity of two plus two equaling four without someone interrupting you with "Nazis! Trump! Snowflakes!"  It's so prolific now you can't tell the difference between the troll and the true believer, and when the only people talking (or shouting) are the ignorant, the racists, or the keyboard warriors, the topic is now in their hands and we're all worse off for it.

Voting increasingly works that way too. The people most likely to vote are the ones who despise some demographic (conservatives: minorities, liberals: the 1%) and blame that group for their own discontent with life. Our politics pivots to where the votes are, which is at the level of infantile finger pointing. People who are educated, self-accountable, or realistic are turned off and tune out. In 2016, voter participation hit a 20 year low. Look what we get.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 02:05:04 PM »

I live in South Carolina. For a peek into the absolute dregs of humanity, head on over to any of the local news pages & peruse through the comments sections of each story. I have honestly wondered to myself how some of these people managed to rub two brain cells together long enough to create a Facebook profile to begin with.

Topix.com forums.....

Oh the insults and rumors. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 03:01:16 PM by Just Joe »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 02:35:22 PM »
Among humans, have you ever noticed how screen time is associated with learned helplessness? Maybe that's why MMM cut back his blogging.

I'm not sure if screen time causes helplessness or helplessness means people just go to the screen.

There's a huge difference between Seattle and rural Idaho in terms of both screen time and general competence.  People thought I was unhinged for working on my own vehicles in Seattle.  Out here, most of the people I know would look at me funny if I took it to a shop for something minor (unless it's, say, the dead of winter and a speed sensor is going out - I'll absolutely pay someone with a heated shop and lift to work on a differential in 0F weather).

I expect MMM cut back because he's out of things to say.  There are only so many things you can say about how to not spend more than you make and not buy clown cars...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 04:29:26 PM »
And I went ahead and stepped on that land mine.  I was watching a tv show clip on YouTube and ended up in an argument with someone who immediately went on a caps-lock and exclamation point-filled diatribe about I must clearly be a whining liberal and a 1st grader.  I was making a conservative constitutional law observation, but apparently it not being to their liking (and less than 200 words) I'm on the defensive.  It's a waste of my time arguing with a stranger, but I hate the vile and the immature in our society getting the last word.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 04:34:30 PM »
It's a waste of my time arguing with a stranger, but I hate the vile and the immature in our society getting the last word.

THATS JUST BECUZ YOU'RE A POOPY FACE DIRTY HEAD DOODOO BRAIN LIBSERVATIVE!!!11111111  WAKE UP SHEEP111111!!!!!11ONE

:P  Am I doing it right?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 04:49:03 PM »
It's a waste of my time arguing with a stranger, but I hate the vile and the immature in our society getting the last word.

THATS JUST BECUZ YOU'RE A POOPY FACE DIRTY HEAD DOODOO BRAIN LIBSERVATIVE!!!11111111  WAKE UP SHEEP111111!!!!!11ONE

Change it to a 400 word response double spaced and that about sums it up.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 08:29:06 AM »

Change it to a 400 word response double spaced and that about sums it up.

Also, your insults need to be trying harder to push the recipient's buttons.       Some reference to Orange Troll or gun control for the right, references to banning immigrants or transgendered bathrooms for the left.

TrudgingAlong

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 02:05:56 PM »
What’s crazier to me is how NOT anonymous people are on Facebook and yet they still post shit. I know things about my family because FB that I really wish they’d left me in the dark about...

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 05:09:27 PM »

No, it needs work.  For starters, you used the correct spelling of "you're".

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 05:34:31 PM »
No, it needs work.  For starters, you used the correct spelling of "you're".

Aw, man.  Busted.  I'm not really a Facebook troll at all!

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 04:17:17 PM »

Then, I read a few comments like "Saving is for losers with no life."  Another one argued that saving is dumb, because you could die before spending the money or that the State is going to take it. 

Wow.

This mindset blows my mind.

People don't realize that you can be just as happy on 90%* of what you make instead of 100%. That 10% can be used for rainy days or for an eventual retirement. Sure, it may be harder for low income people, but it's not impossible. When they say the gubmint is gonna take it, my response is "Well either way, we end up in the same scenario, where the gubmint took my stuff, but at least i wasn't sweating last month's grocery bill, and I wasn't sweating the car repair a couple months back."

Statements like "saving is for losers" just makes me laugh, as I can objectively say that I'm better than that person at life.

*and in case it needs to be said, Mustachians can live on much less for the same level of happiness.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 01:19:33 PM »
What’s crazier to me is how NOT anonymous people are on Facebook and yet they still post shit. I know things about my family because FB that I really wish they’d left me in the dark about...

YEP! You said it.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 02:35:03 PM »
USAToday has some winning (not) comments.

As noted above, i also have seen some pretty nasty stuff on our local online newspaper comments too.

I try not to get sucked in or triggered by anything.

There are times when I've started a few characters, but then regain my sanity and hit the delete key.  Just not worth it.

Always, always a 'political' name calling attack inside of 3 posts.  Pretty sad when that's all someone has to resort to.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 09:10:32 PM »
I love Facebook. For those of you who abandoned ship where do you get your daily puppy photos?

Defriend idiots and only friend animal pages.