Author Topic: Eyelash Extensions - wtf?  (Read 27300 times)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Eyelash Extensions - wtf?
« Reply #200 on: August 02, 2019, 12:42:46 PM »
Retired - our older daughter does Kung Fu.  Partly for this reason but also because she enjoys it. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #201 on: August 03, 2019, 06:25:09 AM »
Retired - our older daughter does Kung Fu.  Partly for this reason but also because she enjoys it.

Mine enjoyed it too, and I didn't tell her why I was in favour until she was much older.

NykkiC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #202 on: August 03, 2019, 03:01:17 PM »
I had my breast grabbed by a boy on a bicycle when I was 11.  It happened mid-afternoon in an upper-class suburb.  I avoided most of this mess by driving places and by dressing invisibly when I was a young woman. Now I am old and invisible.  But it happens.  For sure.  I had hoped that by the 2020's men would have matured out of this juvenile behaviour, but no.

I made sure my DD learned karate.  More for protection against overly pushy (i.e. abusive) boyfriends, but for situations like that as well.

That seems to be the general age for first experiences of unwanted attention. Mine was at twelve and was also my first experience of what my friends would later term the Gaslighting Conspiracy: when I asked the mother of a classmate if there was something wrong with my shirt because her husband wouldn’t stop staring at my chest, she screamed at me for being a disgusting liar trying to get her husband into trouble - and would try to smear my reputation to the parents of other kids for the rest of the two years I went to school with her son.

pudding

• Bristles
« Reply #203 on: August 19, 2019, 05:20:52 PM »
I have been reading this thread with fascination for the last couple of days. I didn't plan on actually wading into the minefield, but I just saw catcalling happen while walking outside a few minutes ago.

A woman is walking along, minding her own business, when a homeless man shouts, "Holy cow! Look at the handles on that cutie!"

And this is in a fairly progressive city, so it doesn't just happen in NYC.

Yes, agreed.... and you could see it and you know it happened.

I've never said it doesn't happen. All I said was I can't see it in the city I live even though I spend a lot of time outdoors downtown on my bicycle and walking around.

I thereby deduced that though it of course DOES happen in the city where I live, it DOES NOT happen to the extent that it happens in other places. The viral video of New York being a good example.

Because I said I don't think it happens that often where I live, other posters have decided that I'm a nazi sympathizer, unfit to be a parent of a daughter, a mansplainer, a man who dares to think that a women assaulting him is in someway as significant as the same thing happening to a women. A forest gump like dummy who's obviously a confused idiot for not going along with what he's told to think.

I'd be offended but it's almost hilarious.... it's the excited states of America that you see on the T.V.   

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #204 on: August 19, 2019, 05:31:13 PM »
I have been reading this thread with fascination for the last couple of days. I didn't plan on actually wading into the minefield, but I just saw catcalling happen while walking outside a few minutes ago.

A woman is walking along, minding her own business, when a homeless man shouts, "Holy cow! Look at the handles on that cutie!"

And this is in a fairly progressive city, so it doesn't just happen in NYC.

Yes, agreed.... and you could see it and you know it happened.

I've never said it doesn't happen. All I said was I can't see it in the city I live even though I spend a lot of time outdoors downtown on my bicycle and walking around.

I thereby deduced that though it of course DOES happen in the city where I live, it DOES NOT happen to the extent that it happens in other places. The viral video of New York being a good example.

Because I said I don't think it happens that often where I live, other posters have decided that I'm a nazi sympathizer, unfit to be a parent of a daughter, a mansplainer, a man who dares to think that a women assaulting him is in someway as significant as the same thing happening to a women. A forest gump like dummy who's obviously a confused idiot for not going along with what he's told to think.

I'd be offended but it's almost hilarious.... it's the excited states of America that you see on the T.V.

DUDE.  You compared it to being asked ti believe in mythical creatures.  If you didn't mean that, then perhaps instead of painting yourself ass a victim, you should apologize for a horrible choice of analogy.  Start there, if you want us to actually believe you aren't many of the things YOU painted yourself to be with your own words.  If you continue to claim you were mischaracterized, as though all the rest of us are big fat meanies, rather than apologizing for the really awful, hurtful things you said (even if you didn't realize they were awful and hurtful when you said them, because a decent person apologizes when s/he is a hurtful ass, even if the intent was never hurtful or ass-ful), then you just continue to prove the point that you are ignorant and blind to the hurts you cause and to the reality of the situation for women and minorities. 

I have little hope that you actually will go through this thread, see the hurtful, insulting things you said in this thread and apologize.  But know that should you did it, I'd certainly accept it at face value.  Or you can continue to claim that it wasn't actually your words that lead to the way you were perceived.