Author Topic: Eyebrow threading?  (Read 9233 times)

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
Eyebrow threading?
« on: September 18, 2017, 12:57:52 PM »
My workplace is in one of the largest malls in the US.  Walking around the place here's what you see the most:

1)  Cell phone/cell phone accessories/cell phone repair
2)  Eyebrow threading

I understand what cell phones are. 

I have no idea what eyebrow threading is and why there is so much of it.  I know I could google it but maybe I should remain in the dark.

Threaded eyebrows?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
Re: Eyebrow threading?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 01:02:30 PM »
It uses twisted threads for depilation, rather than wax or tweezers. Just another way for women to be pressured to spend their money, rather than investing it.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 01:04:12 PM »
It uses twisted threads for depilation,

Hmm, this doesn't help me much in the comprehension department.  For that I'm mostly grateful.

I did deduce it isn't very mustachian.  It does appear however to be very popular.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:08:04 PM by Pizzabrewer »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 01:08:19 PM »

Hmm, this doesn't help me much in the comprehension department.

I did deduce it wasn't very mustachian.

The idea is that there's a specific ideal proportion and look for women's eyebrows, and that hairs that don't conform must be forcibly ripped out. Large numbers of women, and some men, have been duped into believing this. Furthermore, they believe that individual people can't be trusted to just go on the occasional seek-and-destroy mission with a pair of tweezers, and need professional help in order to achieve a suitable level of fashion without maiming themselves. The result is a bunch of sparse, pencil-thin arches that make teenagers look like Botox junkies, and which must be supplemented by eyebrow pencil to look fuller. (?! the WTF is strong) Worst of all, sometimes the over-plucked mistakes don't grow back.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 01:09:52 PM »

Hmm, this doesn't help me much in the comprehension department.

I did deduce it wasn't very mustachian.

The idea is that there's a specific ideal proportion and look for women's eyebrows, and that hairs that don't conform must be forcibly ripped out. Large numbers of women, and some men, have been duped into believing this. Furthermore, they believe that individual people can't be trusted to just go on the occasional seek-and-destroy mission with a pair of tweezers, and need professional help in order to achieve a suitable level of fashion without maiming themselves. The result is a bunch of sparse, pencil-thin arches that make teenagers look like Botox junkies, and which must be supplemented by eyebrow pencil to look fuller. (?! the WTF is strong) Worst of all, sometimes the over-plucked mistakes don't grow back.

At which point you go for "permanence" make up AKA tattoos.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 01:19:45 PM »
LOL, I can't relate to this at all.  I'm 56 years old and have spent probably less than 10 minutes of that time thinking about my eyebrows.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 01:22:50 PM »
I have often spent time thinking about how to increase the bushiness of my eyebrows . . . it would mean much less sweat running into my eyes while exercising in the heat.  Women are strange.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 01:37:00 PM »
I have often spent time thinking about how to increase the bushiness of my eyebrows . . . it would mean much less sweat running into my eyes while exercising in the heat.  Women are strange.

No, it wouldn't. It would just mean bigger drops once they were saturated.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 01:38:59 PM »

Could you build in a kind of gutter, or downspout, to channel the sweat away?

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 01:40:43 PM »
I used to get my eyebrows plucked or threaded occasionally but now I can't be bothered to waste my time or money, and plus thick brows are trendy now. Until unibrows get popular, I'll just pluck out the stray hairs between my eyebrows, otherwise I leave them alone. You'd be amazed at how many beauty products and services women consider "essential".

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 01:41:29 PM »
@GTS: without regular attention I would resemble the Swedish Chef in about two weeks.  It is not so much about fashion as ensuring people do not put coins in my empty coffee cup while in public.  Also this is a strictly DIY affair.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 01:51:37 PM »

A 3/4 straw over either eyeball would be ideal.  Water tends to slide down your skin and this would disrupt the path pretty well I think.  I dunno if it would hold position without some kind of surgically implanted anchor though.

@GTS: without regular attention I would resemble the Swedish Chef in about two weeks.  It is not so much about fashion as ensuring people do not put coins in my empty coffee cup while in public.  Also this is a strictly DIY affair.

I've had people put coins in my empty coffee cup while in public before.  I suspect that it's more related to your style of dress than eyebrow grooming, but could be wrong.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 01:59:47 PM »
As an awkward teen, one of my friends commented on how I have perfect eyebrows.  I remember thinking to myself, great, like any guy is gonna look at me and think, check out the eyebrows on that girl!

Thankfully, the memory of that conversation has always kept tweezers away from my eyebrows, and I would never consider waxing, or threading, now that I know what it is...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 02:47:32 PM »
Plucking is bad enough, waxing and threading sound like torture.

Hopper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 02:56:04 PM »
Ooof.  All the hate. :)  I raise my arched brow and offer my semi-mustachian 2 cents in here.  I do threading.  I wish I didn't care about social/societal norms such as shaving and hair removal.  I would love to be the woman in the sleeveless shirt raising my hand to expose a armpit full of hair.  Kudos to her, I say. 

But I am not that person.  I am a slave to some societal norms and I think I feel and look best with a certain (limited, because I am also absurdly lazy and frugal and do not want to spend time  or money on grooming) amount of "care."  I get my haircut once a year on average, for about $40 a pop.  I tried to let me husband do it, as I cut his hair for him.  His efforts took all of about 3 minutes and did not do it for me.  I would not let him near my eyebrows with the intent to remove a single hair! 

I pay some very nice indian-american ladies (who seem to know a thing or two about heavy hair) $9 every month or so (7 plus a tip) to thread my eyebrows.  I certainly can "groom" myself by tweezing, and I do... but I cannot thread my own eyebrows.  I like the way they look after being threaded. IMO, threaded eyebrows are NOT super thin, like waxing often does.  But I also hate the heavy, messy brow look too.  Its worth it to me. 

But to the OP - I am glad to be able to avoid those mall kiosks that put the person on display while it is being done.  But then again, I avoid the mall generally.  Choices!

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 10:41:02 PM »
It is an alternative to getting your eyebrows waxed. It's a horrible thing though, very painful. Not worth it at all.

I get my eyebrows waxed about 4-5 times a year and it costs between $10 to $15 at the salons I go to. It is not expensive. And I really need to get them waxed other wise they are way too thick.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 11:12:57 PM »
Tried threading once (about US$4), at an Indian shop in Chungking Mansions where I'd gone for a massage (US$8). Living in East Asia, there's less biological diversity and therefore inherent tolerance for it than in the US. As a brunette Caucasian of mixed-up northern European heritage, this is one aspect I've looked into for keeping up a 'professional' appearance. South Asian and middle-Eastern women have been experts for millennia at, er, hair management!

Threading was quite uncomfortable, so a few months later I just went for the bleaching cream from a nearby South Asian shop. Does the trick without having to leave the house, keeps hair and skin intact and un-stretched, much cheaper too.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 11:40:22 PM »
I get eyebrow threading done once every 3-4 months or so. I follow along for a few months and then it gets to be unruly and the cycle continues. I go to a hole in the wall place that charges $5 and it's $7 including tax and tip.

Meh, I consider it a worthy expense and relatively minimal.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 06:41:39 AM »
I usually get my brows threaded every other month for $15.00.  I find it stings a little bit but I really like the result.  Between visits, I pluck them to clean up the area.  The woman I got to is from the Middle East and I am assuming she learned how to do it there. 

My mom who is in her 80's has a hard time seeing the smaller hairs to pluck them herself so she starting going a few years ago as well.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 08:38:15 AM »
I pay attention to my eyebrows to ensure that they're clean (yard work is dirty), and cause I've got 2 white hairs in my right eyebrow and I find it amusing.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 09:06:39 AM »
Teen Bullied For Thick Eyebrows

Lands Lucrative Modeling Contract
http://bestbabel.com/teen-bullied-for-thick-eyebrows-lands-lucrative-modeling-contract/

Or maybe just character.
 Additional edit: I tried to have text, picture, text picture. Is there a way to do it?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:17:32 AM by BTDretire »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 11:31:27 AM »
Some of the women in my family do it, but they generally just do it to each other. I'm guessing some might spend money for it. I haven't really noticed a difference after they've done it but maybe they feel better.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 11:58:09 AM »
I've never done this. But I want it.

*face punch*

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 12:34:13 PM »
I wish I had eyebrows.  Mine are thin and blonde, so for them to show up, some sort of color has to be applied.  I tried getting them dyed a couple of times, but it wore off in a week.  Eyebrow pencil for me when I can be bothered.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2017, 01:04:37 PM »
I have some extra hair that would turn into a unibrow if left unchecked. I spend maybe 90 seconds per week plucking the little bastards.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 01:15:18 PM »
Grooming eyebrows is a necessary evil for many people - male or female. Some people end up with crazy hairs that stick out, unibrows, hairs that grow down into the eye folds, and just look very crazypants if not taken care of. I'm not even talking about getting model-ready eyebrows, just trying to get typical non-werewolf looking.

You can pluck the hair yourself at home, using tweezers. Simple, cheap but very time consuming and difficult to do if you have less than perfect eyesight, since you can't wear glasses while doing this without difficulties.

You can wax them yourself at home using kits purchased from the store. Usually they are the "heat up in the microwave" waxers, but can be relatively cheap. It is more difficult to master since you're smearing very hot wax onto your own eye area and might not do a great job of it so end up with brows that need further refining and it sometimes fucking hurts if you misjudge the heat settings or glop it on wrong... it really is kind of sucky to do at home.

Or you can pay someone to get a wax or threading. Wax is again, smearing hot wax onto the areas that have hair, and then allowing it to cool slightly so when ripping it off, it pulls the hairs out in mass from that area. Having a professional do this is hella easy and fast and they have professional level wax things that remove the chances of burning the shit out of your fucking eyebrow area. Do this one time, and you'll be much more appreciative of paying someone to do it for you.

Threading is something I don't think anyone could do themselves because it requires a fine thread wrapped around the hair shafts and then pulled out by pulling on the thread. It is better for sensitive skin or those with allergies that would risk complications from the hot wax method. I know someone that gets threaded because her skin is so delicate, she would end up losing a layer of skin and looking like a burn victim for days after waxing, but lacked decent enough vision to pluck her own eyebrows.

I don't begrudge anyone paying to get any of this done professionally because it is cheaper and better in many cases to pay someone to do it for you. I do my own brows at home with tweezers now, but that's me.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2017, 04:17:18 PM »
To be fair, back when I frequented a mall fairly often, I saw just as many men at the threading place as women.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2017, 05:20:23 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/Sweat-GUTR-FBW00-P-Sweatband/dp/B00JDN6O9Q

Although I was long a competitive endurance athlete, have many friends that were or are, and live in a place with an absurd number of such people, I've never actually seen this in real life, but it was advertised (in my strange world) pretty heavily maybe 6-10 years ago.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2017, 05:46:11 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/Sweat-GUTR-FBW00-P-Sweatband/dp/B00JDN6O9Q

Although I was long a competitive endurance athlete, have many friends that were or are, and live in a place with an absurd number of such people, I've never actually seen this in real life, but it was advertised (in my strange world) pretty heavily maybe 6-10 years ago.

I've actually seen them before and have been using a similar thing ( http://store.haloheadband.com/HOW-IT-WORKS-s/30.htm) to keep sweat out of my eyes while cycling for the past four years.  When I'm in the drops my head is tilted pretty far forward and on a hot day without something to block the flow of sweat I'll end up nearly blind from it.  A permanent surgical option would be sweet to have though.  :P

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2017, 06:52:03 PM »
Teen Bullied For Thick Eyebrows

Lands Lucrative Modeling Contract
http://bestbabel.com/teen-bullied-for-thick-eyebrows-lands-lucrative-modeling-contract/

Or maybe just character.
 Additional edit: I tried to have text, picture, text picture. Is there a way to do it?

Even thick eyebrows have to be perfectly shaped though.  The photo you attached 1)has heavy brow penciling and 2) shows someone with perfectly shaped eyebrows.   She's plucking, waxing, or threading to do that.

I think I look better with waxed eyebrows but am way too cheap for it unless it is a special occasion where I know there will be a lot of photos.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2017, 07:07:04 PM »
I have tweezers and use them on my eyebrows occasionally. I think I'm pretty lucky that my eyebrows are pretty good. They may not be as thick as is currently fashionable, or as thin as was fashionable when I was a teen. But I think they look good.

I've kind of gotten out of the habit of attending to them after cutting a fringe last year. A whole year of not seeing them. They still look just the same, really.

My husband has pretty cool eyebrows. He has one crazy long hair that grows which drives our daughter crazy. She is always trying to pluck it because it grows down so long it pokes him in the eye. He has also developed a few greys and one really bright orange one in his naturally dark brows.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2017, 07:21:49 PM »
I realize men don't care. Who asked them anyway? I care.
+1!

An ex used to trim his nose and ear hairs. I wouldn't have minded them, but he did. Q.E.D.

Grooming eyebrows is a necessary evil for many people - male or female. Some people end up with crazy hairs that stick out, unibrows, hairs that grow down into the eye folds, and just look very crazypants if not taken care of. I'm not even talking about getting model-ready eyebrows, just trying to get typical non-werewolf looking.

Yep, mine fade nearly into my eye folds. Though friends in the beauty industry always wanted to pluck the hell out of them, I love it because it looks like I'm wearing eye shadow from a distance, haven't worn eye makeup since I was 15. They also fade upwards into my hairline, so I use Indian facial bleach every few months to minimize those. Not a fan of plucking/waxing. Ouch!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 08:53:30 PM »

The images need to be hosted somewhere and included using the "[img]" tags, not included as attachments.

My mom who is in her 80's has a hard time seeing the smaller hairs to pluck them herself so she starting going a few years ago as well.

This.  If your eyesight isn't good, you're not close enough to anyone to have them do it for you, and you still want to maintain the same grooming you have, you need to pay for it.  Also, one person described threading as gentler than waxing (don't know, personally, I haven't done either).

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2017, 08:31:44 AM »
"Why would anyone EVER touch their perfect eyebrows or waste time plucking them???"
-Everyone on MMM who is clearly not Middle Eastern or Mediterranean

LOL, but yeah I DIY mine.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2017, 10:36:03 AM »
And for crummy eyesight, a 10X mirror works fine for seeing what you are doing.  And those heavy eyebrows will go away with age.  My almost unibrow is gone, long gone.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2017, 10:51:51 AM »
And for crummy eyesight, a 10X mirror works fine for seeing what you are doing.  And those heavy eyebrows will go away with age.  My almost unibrow is gone, long gone.

But how do you know you need the 10x mirror if you can't see?  :)

"Why would anyone EVER touch their perfect eyebrows or waste time plucking them???"

LOL.  My nearly body-hairless mother couldn't understand hair removal, either. 

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2017, 12:02:12 PM »

LOL, but yeah I DIY mine.

yep.  When I was new here this would get under my skin but now I try to just roll with it and explain again how someone else may be living in a different situation with different options or obstacles.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2017, 01:51:38 PM »
FWIW, I knew a beautician who told me she gave her male customer a makeover that included waxing his unibrow off. She told me he thanked her later, and said his dating life had improved drastically now that he looked better.

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2017, 02:10:40 PM »
The idea is that there's a specific ideal proportion and look for women's eyebrows, and that hairs that don't conform must be forcibly ripped out. ... Worst of all, sometimes the over-plucked mistakes don't grow back.

Apparently this is the explanation for the single obnoxious teller at one of the banks I use.  She clearly loathes me - the frown and sneer of cold command, all that.  When the queue delivers me to her, she summons the queen of the tellers over for every transaction:

"He won't use his card.  Claims he doesn't have it.  What's with that?  He keeps trying to tell me his account number.  What am I supposed to do with this deposit?"

"He wants to put this money in his joint account, but his wife's name is on the check and the account too, and She Didn't Sign It.  Should I make him take it back?"

Her brows are gone, and will not return before this world has its end.  So she paints a semblance of dark bankerly welcome in a startled and genial arch over her eyes, which is entirely at variance with the rest of her face and her behavior.  I stand in line, projecting the waits for each teller, hoping not to get her, wanting to get the cheery old unibrow teller who will never move anywhere for her career, will be in this branch as long as this branch exists, greets us all in either English or Spanish as appears suited to each, and never objects to receiving my money. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2017, 05:32:42 PM »

;-)

Spoiler: show
When you see a 10X one in a store, get up close and look at yourself - do you look different than you do in the mirror at home?  Are you going, OMG, look at my chin hairs/mustache/etc.? If yes, then buy that mirror!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2017, 06:36:15 PM »

;-)

When you see a 10X one in a store, get up close and look at yourself - do you look different than you do in the mirror at home?  Are you going, OMG, look at my chin hairs/mustache/etc.? If yes, then buy that mirror!

My first inclination would be to smash the mirror and run away.  ;)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2017, 07:41:17 PM »

;-)

My first inclination would be to smash the mirror and run away.  ;)

But then you would have to pay for it anyway!

BigFatherA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2017, 11:00:05 PM »
Apparently my wife knows about this procedure.  She wants nothing to do with it as it's apparently painful: therefore she will have nothing to do with it...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!