Author Topic: Expensive luggage?  (Read 3292 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Expensive luggage?
« on: November 27, 2019, 05:58:44 PM »
Sorry if anyone here has one these but the latest travel trend which seems sorely overrated and overpriced:
https://www.awaytravel.com/

Apparently my brother/SIL each bought one and so my parents sent an email out begging for one for their Christmas present before they travel to Croatia. It has a built-in power-bank and a fancy locking zipper system. Other than that, i don't see what the big fuss is about when you can buy luggage at a third of the cost. I was just helping my mom change the combo lock code and then my dad came out and got all mad saying to leave it at "000" (lol, now you guys know in case you want to steal some Rick Steves' paraphernalia, etc) and that my SIL doesn't mess around with the combo lock code and "travels all over the world" - my rebuttal was simply "okay, then why did you want us to buy you a $300 piece of luggage if you don't care?" (he could have just done the same thing with an external combo lock and 'regular' luggage without asking us to chip in on some expensive luggage they use once a year.) Blame it on my influencer bro and SIL.

*sigh*
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 06:00:42 PM by jeromedawg »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
Re: Expensive luggage?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 07:53:50 PM »
That makes no sense at all. Pretty much every major airport in the world has outlets where you can charge up your phone or computer or whatever. Unless you're traveling to some remote place where you might not have access to electricity for a few days and need to use your electronics during that time, there's no need for a power bank attached to your luggage. And doesn't that just make your luggage heavier?

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 08:08:17 PM »
Portable chargers are cheap and can be used in situations other than just when one has their luggage. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 02:19:18 AM »
I think it is weird to be begging for a certain Christmas present. You can have a wish list, which could be totally ignored. If you don't want to buy such a thing or you think the price/value is unreasonable, then don't buy it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 08:08:33 AM »
Portable chargers are cheap and can be used in situations other than just when one has their luggage.

My backpack has a charger in it, my purse has a charger in it, and I have a box full of portable chargers from various conferences, I can't possibly imagine paying extra to have a charger in my luggage.

I can't fathom spending $350 USD for a carry on, and I REALLY can't fathom asking someone else to spend $350 USD to buy me a carry on!!!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 08:21:21 AM »
I've been using the same piece of luggage for travel since I got it from my dad for Christmas in grade five.  Worst kids Christmas gift ever BTW.

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 09:01:04 AM »
Putting a power bank in luggage, especially one that's built-in and can't be removed easily, also creates problems if you have to check the bag for whatever reason (say, a small plane with tiny overhead bins). Many airlines don't allow lithium ion batteries in checked baggage.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 09:12:21 AM »
I have seen some suitcases you can sit on them and ride. No clue what they cost. We are going to Europe for a month and I bought 2 suitcases for 100. Our old ones were worn out.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 07:52:14 AM »
Older I get the more pointless Christmas shopping seems.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 08:08:12 AM »

Exactly. Younger people often need all sorts of stuff as they are building up their household. But we who are well established have everything we need already.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 11:49:07 AM »

Exactly. Younger people often need all sorts of stuff as they are building up their household. But we who are well established have everything we need already.

I'm having the opposite problem. "Needing" things (i.e. trying to mash potatoes with a weird food processor attachment), but having no space for items like a real potato masher.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 01:07:17 PM »

I'm having the opposite problem. "Needing" things (i.e. trying to mash potatoes with a weird food processor attachment), but having no space for items like a real potato masher.

I have tried to mash potatoes in a normal food processor with a turning knife in the bottom. The effect was very weird, as the potato stuff becomes elastic and quite unedible.

BiggerFishToFI

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 12:14:00 PM »
I was flying Southwest recently and when I went to check my bag the attendant said "There isn't a power bank in here is there? Those aren't allowed in checked luggage".

No power bank in my fancy sub $100 bag!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 12:25:48 PM »
Heh, when I was in college, I worked for a high-end luggage store in a mall. $400 was pretty normal for a carry-on there. If you want a good laugh, go to the websites for Tumi or Hartmann.

In my youthful stupidity, I spent $200 to get a nice 24" Victorinox bag with a 50% employee discount. I still have the bag a decade later and will probably use it for at least another decade, but that's just overkill for a suitcase, especially for a college student.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 02:07:18 PM »
Holy Shit! That's expensive.

I've actually seen those advertised and thought having a phone charger in my luggage might be a decent perk. That is until I thought about the extra space and weight involved. That made it not worth it consider I only use a carry-on bag and it's a backpack so size and weight matter a lot to me.

Of course at that price it's a no-brainer not worth it. Like others have mentioned: use portable chargers.

MoneyQuirk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Aspiring writer at www.moneyquirk.com
    • Money Quirk
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 02:28:26 PM »
Especially for things I'm just going to use to haul my actual stuff around in... I never see the value in buying more than the essentials.

I just replaced my 5 year old backpack that was starting to literally fall apart. I bought it for $20 then. The replacement was $40 because I splurge (gasp).

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2019, 07:41:40 AM »
$400+ for bags that some handler will toss around and scuff up. If we owned luggage that expensive we'd have to buy protective covers for them.

We have ancient department store luggage - brand forgotten. Still looks new and will prob last us a lifetime b/c we don't travel that much.