Author Topic: Examples of how many Mustachians think differently  (Read 15127 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Examples of how many Mustachians think differently
« on: July 28, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »
This likely isn't news to you, but most of us think differently.

A good friend of mine is moving back here after living in a different state for 2 months. She wanted to ship her car and ship a bunch of boxes. Her car was shipped with a company, but she just took the first rate she could find and I went online and didn't take long for me to find a few rates that were cheaper, and so I saved her money.

Instead of shipping boxes, she wanted to go to the airport with 4 GIANT suitcases. Instead I convinced her to put them in boxes and ship them to my warehouse with UPS, using my company's shipping number. She would pay me back for the freight charges, which would way cheaper than published rates and since I"m coming to help her move in, she can avoid residential delivery fees by having them sent to my warehouse. She didn't want to do it until I convinced her that she would save a lot of money doing so (especially compared to bringing 4 75+ pound suitcases to the airport).

Last night I helped her move in and afterwards she was going to toss the boxes. Instead I just put them in my car and brought them to work cause they are good boxes and my warehouse can use them. Everyone in the room looked at me like I was crazy.

For some reason I hadn't realized until now how differently I think than many of my friends. Has anyone else noticed this?

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Examples of how many Mustachians think differently
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 10:44:21 AM »
This is awesome.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 11:04:49 AM »
Its true, though, and I kinda categorize people into two groups in regards to money, maybe three... those who don't care to save, those who don't care to research, and those who will do the research to save money.

Seems so many businesses prey on people who don't shop around.  I'm always amazed.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 11:09:07 AM »
Another example is furnishing my new place. I'm getting couches from my parents that they don't need (currently sitting in a den that they haven't been in in over a year and won't miss), and a good friend of mine just moved in with her bf and we all kinda suspect he will propose to her since they are talking about kids and has offered me her pots and pans. I'm happy to take as many free things as I can and then once I move in, buy anything that I need. My mom has agreed to scour garage sales for anything that I may need (she loves going to them anyways).

My roommate was gifted a dinner table from his parents and was going to toss out his old one, so I got it for free. I have it sitting in my garage until I move, but that just means one less thing to need when I move in.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 11:13:21 AM »
Shipped the car, then shipped the boxes... Why didn't you guys load the boxes in the car?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 11:17:01 AM »
Shipped the car, then shipped the boxes... Why didn't you guys load the boxes in the car?

They don't take them. I don't know why, but they flat out said that the car must come empty.

TrMama

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 11:19:44 AM »
5 years ago we bought a house with a rental suite. When we moved in we ended up with an extra dining room table. At the old house I'd been using one in the dining room and one as a sewing table in another room. New house didn't have room for 2 tables.

We rented the suite to a nice young couple. She mentioned they'd need a dining table when they moved in. I offered her our extra one for free. I fit perfectly in the suite, matched the color scheme and was in great shape. She turned it down because she wanted a new one.

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 11:21:51 AM »
Seems so many businesses prey on people who don't shop around.  I'm always amazed.

Shopping around isn't always "worth" it, though.  If I need to go to half a dozen different stores and spend several hours to save $15 then I'll probably just take the first option and head home.

Time has value, however, people always seem to apply it in funny ways and only when it's convenient to whatever conclusion they want to make.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 11:29:31 AM »

Shopping around isn't always "worth" it, though.  If I need to go to half a dozen different stores and spend several hours to save $15 then I'll probably just take the first option and head home.

Time has value, however, people always seem to apply it in funny ways and only when it's convenient to whatever conclusion they want to make.

I generally have a rough idea about what something will cost or is worth to me.  If I get a quote that's in the ballpark of that number, unless I KNOW I can beat it somewhere else (why wouldn't I have gone to that source first??), I'm just going to go with that first quote.  If the first quote is wildly out of line, I'll either get 1-2 more, or I'll chose a substitute product, or I'll DIY/do without.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 11:38:33 AM »
She turned it down because she wanted a new one.

A friend's sister was in the market for a car.  I had one that I was selling at a great price; low miles, one owner, good gas mileage, etc.  The only thing she didn't like about it was the fact that the windows weren't power windows (this was a few years ago, and yes, you had to roll the windows down manually).  So she literally spent THOUSANDS of dollars more to buy a brand new car so she could get power windows.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 11:59:22 AM »
Honestly I think advertising has convinced most people that having to think about things is a hassle. Remembering that someone mentioned they need something and you happen to have an extra of that something? Way too much to think about in the hustle and bustle of our busy modern lives! The only relaxation is the relaxation of not having to think about anything. So you can enjoy life! There is some ephemeral warm fuzzy it-ness of life we are trying to seize and we can only do that by cutting away all the messy details of our actual lives. It can only be grasped while engaging in some stereotypical image of leisure like sitting in a sunlit room sipping a warm beverage or overlooking a mountain or something. Only these moments are worth living! Nothing else! Send us your credit card info and we will take care of everything else for you!

As a matter of fact, it's not just an imperative luxury to have those moments, you should be ashamed not to have them. You are a shallow person if you don't value these moments enough so if you're trying to avoid paying for them you are either shallow or desperately poor and socially unconnected, I mean you'd have to be a really unpopular loser for your friends not to have noticed you don't know what Amazon Dash is and filled you in on it. And your children. For god's sake won't you think of your children. How are you going to bond as a family while doing...life crap? Working on problems together can only get in the way of your relationship development. You can only bond while smiling wistfully into the middle distance while they engage in a prescribed leisure activity (possibly while sipping a warm beverage) and/or taking pictures of said prescribed leisure activity.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 12:02:53 PM »
Honestly I think advertising has convinced most people that having to think about things is a hassle.

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need."
-Tyler Durden (Fight Club)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 12:05:31 PM »
I'll have to think about this more but I think mustachians view most forms of waste how other people view food waste. Most people still feel a bit of a pang about seeing excess food produced or food wasted. This is just kind of a similar mindset about everything. Not everything can be saved, but why on earth would you waste if you don't have to?

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 12:31:52 PM »
Honestly I think advertising has convinced most people that having to think about things is a hassle. Remembering that someone mentioned they need something and you happen to have an extra of that something? Way too much to think about in the hustle and bustle of our busy modern lives! The only relaxation is the relaxation of not having to think about anything. So you can enjoy life! There is some ephemeral warm fuzzy it-ness of life we are trying to seize and we can only do that by cutting away all the messy details of our actual lives. It can only be grasped while engaging in some stereotypical image of leisure like sitting in a sunlit room sipping a warm beverage or overlooking a mountain or something. Only these moments are worth living! Nothing else! Send us your credit card info and we will take care of everything else for you!

As a matter of fact, it's not just an imperative luxury to have those moments, you should be ashamed not to have them. You are a shallow person if you don't value these moments enough so if you're trying to avoid paying for them you are either shallow or desperately poor and socially unconnected, I mean you'd have to be a really unpopular loser for your friends not to have noticed you don't know what Amazon Dash is and filled you in on it. And your children. For god's sake won't you think of your children. How are you going to bond as a family while doing...life crap? Working on problems together can only get in the way of your relationship development. You can only bond while smiling wistfully into the middle distance while they engage in a prescribed leisure activity (possibly while sipping a warm beverage) and/or taking pictures of said prescribed leisure activity.

What on earth is Amazon Dash? It sounds like an expensive herb...

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 12:39:58 PM »
Honestly I think advertising has convinced most people that having to think about things is a hassle.

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need."
-Tyler Durden (Fight Club)

But it's more than that even. Because now many people have turned against possessions for the sake of possessions. They saw Fight Club because they see all the correct movies. They read that article in the Atlantic about how we should buy experiences not things. So they worry, "How can we have meaningful experiences, how can we avoid being crass consumeristic ugly Americans, if we have to think about things? It's worth it to pay someone to take care of these things. We're worth it."

If you price shop, you're probably a poor, scrounging, materialistic douchebag who just wants to save up money for a new motorcycle or jacuzzi or something. If you're thinking of ways to arrange your own life instead of just plopping money down on the counter to get the full service package, well, you know those hilarious people who are continually failing to poach an egg on late-night infomercials when it would be so easy for them to just purchase the EggPoacher2000, my friend, it is not about the EggPoacher, it is about Simplicity! It is guaranteed that trying to poach the egg yourself you are missing seeing your baby's first steps or something equally momentous. You are missing Life if you are engaging with life.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 12:47:02 PM »

Hey, wait... I spend time every sunny morning sitting in a sunlit room sipping a warm beverage and overlooking a mountain!

Sometimes I do multitask by cleaning up cat barf, so maybe there is hope for me. :-)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 12:50:39 PM »
True story:  We just discovered that the Hub can transfer his GI Bill money to me.  Since we are both older and already have PhDs, there is nothing we actually need to use it for.  I mentioned to my neighbor that I was going to use it to take a couple of "for fun" music classes at the community college.  She was appalled at the idea that anyone would think going to school was fun.  The kicker:  She is a retired teacher. 

Edited to remove offensive sentence.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 03:27:13 PM by 2ndTimer »

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 01:00:31 PM »
I watched in disbelief while helping a friend move.  Instead of packing up some kitchen goods (spices, flour, pasta), she just threw it all out.  Something to do with "starting fresh".

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 01:00:46 PM »

Hey, wait... I spend time every sunny morning sitting in a sunlit room sipping a warm beverage and overlooking a mountain!

Sometimes I do multitask by cleaning up cat barf, so maybe there is hope for me. :-)

Well Rural I am happy to hear that, but disappointed to hear that sometimes you do things that are not sitting in a sunny room sipping a warm beverage and overlooking a mountain. You are certainly living a deprived life. Either you have not heard about our services or you are downwardly mobile.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 01:07:25 PM »

If the difference is a few dollars, sure, absolutely. Or if it involves time to get it. There are a bunch of times where I've found something used on Kijiji or Craigslist for 20$ less than new at the store, but getting it would have involved an hour or more in the car... not worth it, either time-wise or car-depreciation-wise.

A lot of the things I'll shop around for is either large amounts of money (I'm in the process of building a house. Let's leave it at that...) or recurring costs (4 hours on the phone with 3 different insurance companies saved me 700$ annually compared to what I had been paying, and those are recurring savings). Totally worth the time.

The trick is trying to predict what's worth doing before spending the time. :)

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 01:09:43 PM »
How far was the move?

Did she consider driving the car with everything packed inside?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 01:12:41 PM »
How far was the move?

Over a thousand miles. She didn't want to drive because her car is leased (I know) and also has some health problems that make it hard for her to sit for long periods of time. At the end of the day, I just wanted to help her out because she's a great friend and person and the entire move was terrible for her.

She is happy to be back in Minnesota, she's stayed with a mutual friend and was very thankful for my help and a few others that came by to help her unpack and settle in and move furniture into her room.

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 01:20:32 PM »
True story:  We just discovered that the Hub can transfer his GI Bill money to me.  Since we are both older and already have PhDs, there is nothing we actually need to use it for.  I mentioned to my neighbor that I was going to use it to take a couple of "for fun" music classes at the community college.  She was appalled at the idea that anyone would think going to school was fun.  The kicker:  She is a retired teacher.  Confirms my every stereotype.

Learners are a rare breed. When I tell people that I want to learn trumpet, martial arts, read every philosophy book I can get my hands on, how to sew my own clothes AND raise chickens, people give me funny looks. Very rarely does it matter WHAT I'm learning, as long as I'm learning.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 01:29:29 PM »

Why are you not shopping around online??

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 01:32:51 PM »
True story:  We just discovered that the Hub can transfer his GI Bill money to me.  Since we are both older and already have PhDs, there is nothing we actually need to use it for.  I mentioned to my neighbor that I was going to use it to take a couple of "for fun" music classes at the community college.  She was appalled at the idea that anyone would think going to school was fun.  The kicker:  She is a retired teacher.  Confirms my every stereotype.

Have him transfer it to you anyways that way he can transfer it to someone else later on.  He'll incur a service commitment for the first transfer, but any subsequent transfers do not have additional service commitments and can be done after he leaves service I'm pretty sure.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 01:35:37 PM »
If you haven't read the most recent MMM post, he linked to this video. It pretty much sums up us vs. everyone else (sheeple).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0wvNvrRL8Y&feature=youtu.be

It's pretty alarming really. Why?

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 01:36:56 PM »
How far was the move?

Over a thousand miles. She didn't want to drive because her car is leased (I know) and also has some health problems that make it hard for her to sit for long periods of time. At the end of the day, I just wanted to help her out because she's a great friend and person and the entire move was terrible for her.

She is happy to be back in Minnesota, she's stayed with a mutual friend and was very thankful for my help and a few others that came by to help her unpack and settle in and move furniture into her room.

Ewww...lease LOL.

I'm debating doing a 2500+ mile drive when I move back which will probably involve towing my car or towing a Uhaul trailer.

I haven't seriously looked into it yet, but it will mostly come down to cost to drive vs shipping the car+stuff etc.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 01:41:43 PM »
Honestly I think advertising has convinced most people that having to think about things is a hassle. Remembering that someone mentioned they need something and you happen to have an extra of that something? Way too much to think about in the hustle and bustle of our busy modern lives! The only relaxation is the relaxation of not having to think about anything. So you can enjoy life!

Really good ideas in there!

In the spring, I rented a car and went to visit some friends out of town.  This happened when I got there:

Me:  "A guy's going to show up here in a few minutes and pick up a printer from the trunk."
Friends: "A 'guy'?  What guy?"
Me:  "I don't know him."
Friends:  "What the hell are you talking about?"
Me:  "I put an offer for a rideshare online and somebody offered me $40 to drive a printer down here.  This guy's picking it up.  Dunno if he bought it or is repairing it or what..."
Friends:  [Stunned silence.]  "...You are so weird."
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:51:22 PM by Kaspian »

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 01:50:12 PM »

Learners are a rare breed. When I tell people that I want to learn trumpet, martial arts, read every philosophy book I can get my hands on, how to sew my own clothes AND raise chickens, people give me funny looks. Very rarely does it matter WHAT I'm learning, as long as I'm learning.

I was learning how HVAC systems work on my downtime at work. One of my co-workers say the diagram I printed out for reference and was just like 'why?'. Why not? I want to know how things work.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 02:32:51 PM »

I was learning how HVAC systems work on my downtime at work. One of my co-workers say the diagram I printed out for reference and was just like 'why?'. Why not? I want to know how things work.

I take a train to work. I simply can't beleive the amount of people that just stand there and blink. I mean, sure, the vast majority of folks are stairing at their phones, but some people just... stand there. This is when I get my best reading in. And I'm usually learning something, although the trashy crime novel I'm reading right now is perfect for the summer.

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 02:49:54 PM »

Why are you not shopping around online??

Well, I buy practically nothing anyways but if I do need to go to a store then it's the kinds of stores that don't have websites that I can price check on.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2015, 05:17:13 PM »

I take a train to work. I simply can't beleive the amount of people that just stand there and blink. I mean, sure, the vast majority of folks are stairing at their phones, but some people just... stand there. This is when I get my best reading in. And I'm usually learning something, although the trashy crime novel I'm reading right now is perfect for the summer.

Maybe they are still waking up, praying, meditating...

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2015, 05:24:30 PM »
This excerpt from a go fund me site had me very confused: "I reach in my wallet with to give him all the cash I have in my wallet, somewhere around $85. He comes back and I insist he takes this money. I tell him please take it , go out for a nice dinner with your family."

I can't wrap my head around thinking someone needs funds so desperately you want to start a gofundme campaign for them, while telling them to blow $85 on a single dinner.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2015, 05:26:11 PM »

Maybe they are still waking up, praying, meditating...

...thinking.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2015, 08:18:42 PM »
This likely isn't news to you, but most of us think differently.

A good friend of mine is moving back here after living in a different state for 2 months. She wanted to ship her car and ship a bunch of boxes. Her car was shipped with a company, but she just took the first rate she could find and I went online and didn't take long for me to find a few rates that were cheaper, and so I saved her money.

Instead of shipping boxes, she wanted to go to the airport with 4 GIANT suitcases. Instead I convinced her to put them in boxes and ship them to my warehouse with UPS, using my company's shipping number. She would pay me back for the freight charges, which would way cheaper than published rates and since I"m coming to help her move in, she can avoid residential delivery fees by having them sent to my warehouse. She didn't want to do it until I convinced her that she would save a lot of money doing so (especially compared to bringing 4 75+ pound suitcases to the airport).

Last night I helped her move in and afterwards she was going to toss the boxes. Instead I just put them in my car and brought them to work cause they are good boxes and my warehouse can use them. Everyone in the room looked at me like I was crazy.

For some reason I hadn't realized until now how differently I think than many of my friends. Has anyone else noticed this?

Nicely done.

We had the opposite. A relative needed a couple of boxes shipped from an expensive part of Australia. Instead my husband offered to bring them back next time he visited that state (as a platinum frequent flyer, he can check three 32kg suitcases.) The relative ended up abandoning the idea all together, but checking it as luggage would have saved a fortune.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2015, 10:13:28 AM »
I take a train to work. I simply can't beleive the amount of people that just stand there and blink. I mean, sure, the vast majority of folks are stairing at their phones, but some people just... stand there.

I sometimes find it relaxing to just stand there and take in the scene. Its sort of me deliberately resisting the desire to constantly check things.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2015, 10:40:14 AM »
I take a train to work. I simply can't beleive the amount of people that just stand there and blink. I mean, sure, the vast majority of folks are stairing at their phones, but some people just... stand there.

I sometimes find it relaxing to just stand there and take in the scene. Its sort of me deliberately resisting the desire to constantly check things.

When driving to work, I usually listen to an audiobook or the economist, but occassionally I'll just turn everything off. It can be ok to be just in the moment and let your mind wander...

laughing_paddler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2015, 10:49:08 AM »

I'd just like to point out that I am an educator and I happen to be the kind of learner (voracious) that other parts of this thread are extolling.

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2015, 11:40:33 AM »
Same. Just got my teaching degree. Had trouble finding a history teaching post (is anyone surprised). Now I teach people how to use copiers, lol.

laughing_paddler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2015, 11:58:05 AM »
Same. Just got my teaching degree. Had trouble finding a history teaching post (is anyone surprised). Now I teach people how to use copiers, lol.

You know, given my specific circumstances, I've wondered about maybe drifting away from education to something that uses it but isn't in the non-profit sector (I'm a non-formal educator). Would you say there is enough teaching at your job to satisfy that urge folks *like us* have?

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2015, 12:47:33 PM »
Mustachians think long-term and big-picture.

I'm currently in the process of moving into a new condo. I really liked it and it had everything I wanted, but the landlord didn't want to lower his rate. I  successfully negotiated a lower rent payment by offering to pay one whole year of rent in advance.

I had the capital to make that kind of upfront payment because I'd saved for years for such an opportunity. And I chose to rent instead of buy ny own place because 1) real estate prices are insane in this city and 2) I may relocate to a different country in the next five years.

It's the strategic use of one's limited capital, in line with one's personal priorities.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:51:09 PM by Adventine »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2015, 03:06:23 PM »
The difference in thinking is freedom. The freedom to do whatever the fuck you want to do whenever the fuck you want to do it instead of having to bend to someone else's whims.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2015, 03:19:20 PM »

Have him transfer it to you anyways that way he can transfer it to someone else later on.  He'll incur a service commitment for the first transfer, but any subsequent transfers do not have additional service commitments and can be done after he leaves service I'm pretty sure.

Don't quite understand what you mean about additional service commitment.  This is left over from his days as a full-timer. They can't make him come back, can they?

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2015, 03:25:14 PM »

I'd just like to point out that I am an educator and I happen to be the kind of learner (voracious) that other parts of this thread are extolling.

I apologize.  The last sentence was unnecessary.  I am going back to remove it before it distresses anyone else.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »

I agree that in the real world, learners are a rare breed.  On this site, it seems like everybody is learning something new all the time.  That's one of the things I enjoy about it.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2015, 04:28:02 AM »

Sounds perfect.:)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2015, 12:05:02 PM »
So the friend that I helped move just texted me to ask if I wanted a few more empty boxes that she now has. Maybe she's learning?

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2015, 03:35:05 PM »

Yes. Why would anyone FIX (repair) anything? Why would anyone take junk and re-work it to be something useful again (think old cabinet or table for a porch or home workshop). Why would anyone change their own oil? Why would you repair your own car? Why would a person learn to do their own repairs or chores? And the list could on and on...

I get that ALL the time.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -Thomas A. Edison"

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2015, 03:44:34 PM »

They don't take them. I don't know why, but they flat out said that the car must come empty.

Protection against theft - at least that is what the military told me once upon a time.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2015, 03:48:43 PM »
I watched in disbelief while helping a friend move.  Instead of packing up some kitchen goods (spices, flour, pasta), she just threw it all out.  Something to do with "starting fresh".

I'd save the spices just b/c the shopping required to replace them would be a bother.