Author Topic: Everyone in NYC wears Canada Goose  (Read 11235 times)

Miskatonic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Everyone in NYC wears Canada Goose
« on: June 03, 2016, 01:18:46 PM »
I was inspired to post about this by the Yeti cooler thread.

Last March, I went to NYC for the first time. One thing I immediately noticed: it seemed like half the people I passed on the sidewalk were wearing Canada Goose parkas. These are $800+ coats...and it wasn't even very cold. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a Canada Goose coat, but I can't justify spending that much. I still wear the Columbia jacket I got back in middle school for maybe $200.

I grew up in a colder climate than NYC and never saw so many expensive coats in my life. Maybe I'm missing something?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: Everyone in NYC wears Canada Goose
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 01:30:01 PM »
Ah yes, NYC. You will also see $20,000 handbags (Hermes). It is the Land of Conspicuous Consumption.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 01:30:39 PM »
I live here and noticed the same thing.  Turns out we're not alone: http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/03/what-made-this-the-winter-of-the-canada-goose.html

For luxury arctic stuff, I'd go for a Scandinavian company, but apparently there stuff is pretty nice.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
Ha ha, yes, we do like to sport brand names. And as for colder climates, I mean, what's the point of wearing this stuff where no one will see you?? Seriously, though, new yorkers do tend to spend more time outside than residents of other places. For one, we walk a lot, for another, if it were any colder, we wouldn't walk so much. Not that that necessarily is true of you and certainly not that it has anything to do with why anyone would need an $800 coat vs. a $200 coat.

Bear in mind though that we also like cheap knock-offs, so some of what you're seeing may be from Canal St.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 02:54:02 PM »
Aside from Canada Goose, I see so many women wearing fur coats in Manhattan. I am grossed/creeped out by fur in general (it seems roughly the equivalent of lugging around a dead dog everywhere you go), so I hate it when someone wearing a fur coat sits next to me on the subway. Or those young women with the oversized fur-trimmed hoods that drape all over the people on either side of them when we're crowded together at rush hour. Yuck. Congratulations, you've spent thousands of dollars to disgust people on the subway.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 03:38:12 PM »
But what do they wear in Canada?  DKNY?

(I'm leaving out all the Canadians who wear gross fur offa' cute leetle minks & otters.  Why?  Just 'coz...)

Carless

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 08:49:05 PM »
I wear a Kanuk coat I bought when I was living in Montreal.  Incredibly expensive at the time (probably ~$600 on sale) but winters there are hellish;  -30 C outside with no shelter waiting for a bus...and yet there are still puddles.  Over ice.  The coat has these great elastic cuffs inside the sleeve which keeps the cold air from climbing your arms, and another one at the waist (like a skirt). 

I bought it in 2005 ish, and it's still looking fine.   I got the cuffs re-hemmed once, but other than that no issue.  I expect to be using it for another 5 years at least.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 01:04:22 AM »
I wear a Kanuk coat I bought when I was living in Montreal.  Incredibly expensive at the time (probably ~$600 on sale) but winters there are hellish;  -30 C outside with no shelter waiting for a bus...and yet there are still puddles.  Over ice.  The coat has these great elastic cuffs inside the sleeve which keeps the cold air from climbing your arms, and another one at the waist (like a skirt). 

I bought it in 2005 ish, and it's still looking fine.   I got the cuffs re-hemmed once, but other than that no issue.  I expect to be using it for another 5 years at least.

+1.

I admit I'm spoiled by my mother who likes shopping, but is a bargain hunter. As far as I ca tell she doesn't flippantly shop, but will call me up each March to ask if I need a coat and it's hard to turn down cause she'll find an awesome coat that's heavily discounted. The last one she got me was in maybe 2006 and it's still going strong and looks amazing.

Elisabeth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 06:57:51 AM »
I love my Canada Goose parka! However, I live in arctic Canada where it regularly gets to -50C in the winter. CG parkas are definitely cozy... in fact, sometimes I feel overheated when I wear it. I imagine the NYers generally wear the more fitted, less warm versions.

It's fun to know that I'm accidentally being trendy with my essential survival gear!

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 07:27:27 AM »
Not in NYC, but just as someone that hates the cold. I'd never justify a parka so expensive, but I did get a $300 mid thigh length parka 3-4 years ago that is my own personal idea of heaven.

I'm kind of lazy and dislike layering, so I can just throw that on over a t-shirt essentially and I'm cozy down to 0 degrees F in most situations. Extended day walking around in windy and bitterly cold conditions? Maybe I'll wear a long sleeve thermal instead of a t-shirt. That's it.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 08:44:17 AM »
I live here and noticed the same thing.  Turns out we're not alone: http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/03/what-made-this-the-winter-of-the-canada-goose.html
I would have thought New Yorkers would avoid Canadian goose after their orchestrated attack on that US Airways flight.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 09:17:47 AM »
I love my Canada Goose parka! However, I live in arctic Canada where it regularly gets to -50C in the winter.
In Vancouver we sometimes need to wear a hat with our sandals and Lululemon if it's a really bad winter

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 12:49:40 PM »

For luxury arctic stuff, I'd go for a Scandinavian company, but apparently there stuff is pretty nice.

Canada Goose is not that uncommon to see in Scandinavia either...  at least not in Stockholm, which I guess is our NYC.   ;)

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 01:11:23 PM »
I bought a Wellensteyn Snow Dome Parka for $350.  Great purchase.  Incredibly warm.  I only wear it when it it really cold.  It will last the next 15 years.

http://www.wellensteyn.com/page/products/mod/SNOW/mat/507/col/SW

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 03:00:54 PM »
Great choice! Pays for our city parks, schools, library, etc., because Wellensteyn is just a few streets from here.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 05:41:29 AM »
Ok I'll confess. I bought a Canada Goose jacket in 2008-2009. I was tired of layering with my cheapo coats. I can be shirtless with this thing when it's -25 celsius, not sure if the knockoffs can pull that off. The hood makes all the difference.

At the time just wanted something warm the thing cost 500 bucks cdn back then. Also bought some expensive ecco boots in berlin that year. Cheapo boots were costing me 150 bucks a year buying two pairs every year.

Both the coat and boots get worn for 4-5 months a year.  Won't have to replace them for a while. I thought the goose fad would fade but guess not.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 05:52:22 AM »
I have an Eddie Bauer thigh-length, hooded "Lodge" down parka that I bought several years ago online at one of their half-price Labor Day sales. Probably around $120 with the sale price...I don't remember exactly. I think full price would have been $200. Super warm and comfortable, and worn constantly through the snowy months. My puppy  nipped a hole in it while playing, but I just sewed it up and kept on wearing it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 06:49:07 AM »
Aside from Canada Goose, I see so many women wearing fur coats in Manhattan. I am grossed/creeped out by fur in general (it seems roughly the equivalent of lugging around a dead dog everywhere you go), so I hate it when someone wearing a fur coat sits next to me on the subway. Or those young women with the oversized fur-trimmed hoods that drape all over the people on either side of them when we're crowded together at rush hour. Yuck. Congratulations, you've spent thousands of dollars to disgust people on the subway.

I don't wear fur, but do leather shoes gross you out? People walking around in dead animal skins. (Is a leather jacket different from a fur one? They seem more socially acceptable)

Kashmani

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 07:14:14 AM »
I strongly object to this post being in the "Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy" section!

These jackets are being made in my hometown of Winnipeg. People in New York are wearing them. People in Singapore are wearing them. Canada Goose is to Winnipeg what Blackberry is for Kitchener and Celine Dion is for Montreal. Don't shame people away from our success story, even if those coats are friggen expensive.

Disclaimer:

1. Canada Goose is friggen expensive. I get it.
2. That said, we still own one for each member of the family, including our five-year old. When a five-year old wants to play outside in -30 degrees Celsius for 1 1/2 hours, they are awesome. Nothing keeps as warm as a Canada Goose snowsuit.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 07:19:01 AM »
I strongly object to this post being in the "Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy" section!

These jackets are being made in my hometown of Winnipeg. People in New York are wearing them. People in Singapore are wearing them. Canada Goose is to Winnipeg what Blackberry is for Kitchener and Celine Dion is for Montreal. Don't shame people away from our success story, even if those coats are friggen expensive.

Disclaimer:

2. That said, we still own one for each member of the family, including our five-year old. When a five-year old wants to play outside in -30 degrees Celsius for 1 1/2 hours, they are awesome. Nothing keeps as warm as a Canada Goose snowsuit.

I didn't know they are made in Winnipeg!  (I was born there and lived there until I was 2 years old.)   

Thanks for letting us know. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 10:50:53 AM »
I strongly object to this post being in the "Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy" section

Isn't the shame that they are totally unnecessary in new York City?

Ottawa, Iowa, upstate new York, Alaska - the coat makes sense.  When it is -40 it is effing cold.  But most winter days in NYC are above freezing.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 10:57:03 AM »
I don't wear fur, but do leather shoes gross you out? People walking around in dead animal skins. (Is a leather jacket different from a fur one? They seem more socially acceptable)

I almost put in a disclaimer to that post about leather and eating meat because I figured someone would comment on it. :-)

No, other animal products like leather do not gross me out. I'm not coming at it from a moral stance - I eat meat, I wear leather. It is just that fur looks and feels like someone has slung roadkill around their body and I find it gruesome and morbid. Leather is similar in concept but it doesn't look, smell, or feel like a dead animal in the same way because of the way it is processed.

I also find it weird that fur is a rich-person thing. Less well-off people walk around being kept warm by 21st century state-of-the-art technology, but little old rich ladies walk around in 15th century technology that looks icky and smells funny and is difficult to take care of. You'd think it would be the other way around.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 11:16:57 AM »
It is coytote fur which are pretty much vermin in most of Canada.
I'm guessing that most of their supply comes from animals shot by farmers rather than from fur farms.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 01:57:39 PM by nobodyspecial »

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 12:57:10 PM »
The fur collar really helps to keep snow and wind off of your face . . . could some polar fleece dealio do the same? Probably, but after a couple of years it would probably look like crap and fall apart.