Author Topic: Emirates Airlines  (Read 6170 times)

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
Emirates Airlines
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:56:07 AM »
I'm en route to the Middle East for work, and, courtesy of my client, get to fly business class on Emirates. (I fully admit, this is pretty sweet, but also something I would NEVER spend my own money on.) The on-demand TV programming has commercials that I'm finding pretty jaw-dropping in terms of affluenza, status spending, and selling an image. The number of (luxury) watch, jewelry, car, travel, and investing ads I've seen is mind boggling. I mean, I get who they're targeting (financiers, oil people, and whoever else does business in UAE!), but it just blows my mind that people can be so taken by such blatant pandering to an image of sophistication and wealth.

I wonder if anyone has noticed that my business tote handle is being held together with masking tape?

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Emirates Airlines
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 01:29:21 PM »
If I was really rich flying business class would be the first thing I WOULD spend money on. That kind of wealth is probably not going to happen so my only hope is a fancy business trip. :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 03:00:28 PM by Albert »

mjs111

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 01:34:56 PM »
Even flying coach, I've noticed that the ads in the in-flight magazines cater to status conscious/high spenders.  The ads are for travel (makes sense), entry-level luxury watches (don't know how much Breitling pays to Southwest Airlines every year but it's a lot), plastic surgery, dental veneers, higher end dating services, and luxury restaurants at the hubs of whatever airline you're traveling on.

Mike

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 03:02:08 PM »
That makes sense because people who fly, particularly long haul, are on average much wealthier than the general population.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 06:12:52 PM »
It is different to be rubbing elbows with this slice of society.

I'm staying in a 5 star hotel where there's a 24/7 butler. She offered to unpack my suitcase for me when I arrived. (No thanks, I'll unpack my own underwear...!)

And the driver who picked me up from the airport (in a Jaguar...) was pointing out the nice touristy things to visit here, and he made a big point of mentioning all the great tourist shopping. Chanel, Hermes, etc.

It puts my own level of spending into sharp relief!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 06:22:19 PM »
At large airports (Heathrow comes to mind, but others are probably the same), you can even tell from the kind of ads and shops around the gates which parts of the terminals are long hauls and which aren't. Members of the working class don't often fly across entire continents.

Almost two thirds of Americans have never left the country, after all.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 08:27:49 PM »
I wonder if anyone has noticed that my business tote handle is being held together with masking tape?

I had a business meeting last week with a balance sheet affluent person. His checkbook was one of those huge binder type ones with the large stubs for each check and it was held together with duct tape.

Even in coach, you have the overpriced Skymall catalog.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 08:49:30 PM »
I thought your post was going to be about the new First Class Suites (which I read about earlier this evening and thought "here's an AWSC post"), not Business Class!  But I guess on rereading the article, it's about a different airline.

http://www.boston.com/travel/destinations/2014/05/04/this-airline-first-class-suites-rival-star-hotel/lTxc2c8O6EvPxn8zsNSJNO/pictures.html

I'm guessing there will be some new members of the mile high club - starting at only $42,000 per couple.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 08:56:53 PM »
I flew first class on an upgrade with Emirates, got to take a shower before we landed (Airbus A380).  But the strap on my briefcase is held on by a repurposed paper clip.  Wish I could recall who said it's lonely at the top, but you eat better.  Oh so true when it comes to flying for business!  Definitely a unique experience, but being on a plane for 16 hours across 10 time zones still sucked.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 09:34:50 AM »
I thought your post was going to be about the new First Class Suites (which I read about earlier this evening and thought "here's an AWSC post"), not Business Class!  But I guess on rereading the article, it's about a different airline.

http://www.boston.com/travel/destinations/2014/05/04/this-airline-first-class-suites-rival-star-hotel/lTxc2c8O6EvPxn8zsNSJNO/pictures.html

I'm guessing there will be some new members of the mile high club - starting at only $42,000 per couple.

Whoa, that's crazy! Did you see they have in-flight nannies?!?

Back in the real world of flying economy class, I always enjoy mocking Skymall. I've never seen anyone order anything... but people must, right? Otherwise how could it keep going? Unless it's a subtle Onion-style publication underwritten by a philanthropic jokester...

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 09:53:48 AM »

Back in the real world of flying economy class, I always enjoy mocking Skymall. I've never seen anyone order anything... but people must, right? Otherwise how could it keep going? Unless it's a subtle Onion-style publication underwritten by a philanthropic jokester...

Skymall is really just a catalog that lists assorted items for other retailers. So there really isn't as much at stake for Skymall (if a retailer goes bust, just add a new one), although I'm sure they get a cut from what people buy through the catalog (or website... they have a website, too). The key to Skymall is that they generally sell "oh isn't that neat!" type goods that you may not have known you actually wanted until you saw it in the catalog, and consumers love those. They weren't looking for a heated travel pillow/massager or Frodo's sword from Lord of the Rings before they saw them in Skymall, so aren't sure where else to buy them. Hence, they buy them from Skymall. Plus, you can take the catalog with you.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 10:03:36 AM »
My dad once bought me a birthday gift from Skymall. I think I was 12, so I was rude enough to say, "Dad, I know you forgot my birthday and just bought this on the plane."

After that he had his secretary buy us gifts.

I assumed that was who Skymall was for - people with more money than time, who forgot they could just have their secretary buy things. Although these days, I don't know if that kind of secretary still exists - my dad's company was pretty old school even when I was young.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 10:36:30 AM »

Whoa, that's crazy! Did you see they have in-flight nannies?!?

Yeah, because apparently no one likes dealing with cranky kids on a flight, including the parents!  In a weird logic way, it makes sense to me though.  You want to entice people to pay gobs for your seat.  You've got (roughly) the same space as another airline, so you have to entice in other ways, and everyone's already thought of having good food with a world class chef onboard.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 10:47:18 AM »
Seriously Middle Eastern airlines have the best service even in the economy class and there they tend to be cheap too. Excellent choice for connecting to East Asia or Australia flights from Europe.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 11:31:02 AM »
My dad once bought me a birthday gift from Skymall. I think I was 12, so I was rude enough to say, "Dad, I know you forgot my birthday and just bought this on the plane."

After that he had his secretary buy us gifts.

I assumed that was who Skymall was for - people with more money than time, who forgot they could just have their secretary buy things. Although these days, I don't know if that kind of secretary still exists - my dad's company was pretty old school even when I was young.

...I'm that kind of secretary. I book my boss's personal travel and brunches and will pick just the most thoughtful gifts too.

Ah, is that the kind of secretary you can call a secretary?  My assistant would likely balk at being called a secretary, and I don't think personal errands fall under her job description.  I still think she fills the technical definition of secretary, though (drafting letters, etc.)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 01:09:33 PM »
I used to travel extensively throughout Asia for business.  The company would pay for business class (BC) because of the length of the flights.  Emirates had the best BC of any airline I flew.  Singapore and Thia Airlines were tied for second.  Dragon Air was pretty good in the air but had the best lounges hands down.  United in Asia was fairly good but domestically was horrible in comparison.  ANA and China East were solidly at the bottom.  China East was much better when I flew it (in coach) earlier this year though.

YMMV of course.