Author Topic: eat less to pay for your iPhone  (Read 4072 times)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
eat less to pay for your iPhone
« on: October 04, 2012, 03:20:48 PM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444083304578018731890309450.html?mod=WSJ_business_LeadStoryCollection

(Hope this link works.) Families with four iPhones with unlimited data plans. $4000 a year for your freakin' phone. Average Americans up to $1100 a year or so.

My $20 phone from 7-11 looks pretty good right about now.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
Re: eat less to pay for your iPhone
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 03:44:25 PM »
Reading the comments, I learn: 
If you have kids in college, its assumed they have smart phones, e-mails and texting require timely responses.

(Smacks head.)  I have failed as a parent again.  Apparently my son is doomed with his dumb phone (but no student loans).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:53:51 PM by Worsted Skeins »

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 04:11:06 PM »

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 06:38:43 PM »
(Smacks head.)  I have failed as a parent again.  Apparently my son is doomed with him dumb phone (but no student loans).

You can call it a feature phone if you don't want to have to call it a dumb phone. :)

My RAZR has become a badge of frugal pride for me, especially among my fellow programmers. Not that they necessarily see it that way..

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:35:58 PM »
Wireless carriers are betting they can pull bills even higher by offering faster speeds on expensive new networks and new usage-based data plans. The effort will test the limits of consumer spending as the draw of new technology competes with cellphone owners' more rudimentary needs and desires

This makes me absolutely sick. As if they weren't gouging us on prices already.

EDIT: Feels good to be on prepaid w/ no data :)

prosaic

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 05:59:55 AM »
Our Next10 prepaid is looking so much better.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 06:27:05 AM »
Its amazing: there seems no question for these folks that the i phone is more worthwhile than a meal out. Not sure I'd choose one over the other, I'd ditch the meal and the phone. In fact I'm just about to ditch my old blackberry plan and get a pre-paid for $15/month. Really,  I can wait to get home to look at emails. When the blackberry battery dies (any time now), I'll go back to a phone that just texts and phones... cost $24.

The Japanese electricity link was cool. It sounds a bit extreme: but they dubbed it "going back to the 60s".  Heck I grew up in the '60s and don't remember ever feeling deprived and using a washboard... but there was no aircon, no microwave, no computers, no clothes drier, and for a while no TV.  Hmmmm I was  happy when they brought out Glad wrap (plastic wrap)...kept the ole sangers for lunch much fresher.