Author Topic: Easy FIRE Method: Make DW Pay!  (Read 4905 times)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
Easy FIRE Method: Make DW Pay!
« on: November 02, 2015, 09:29:19 AM »
UK man retires at 51, plays golf while spouse returns to FT work to compensate.

I'm guessing this situation won't hold up for long.

sol

• Walrus Stache
Re: Easy FIRE Method: Make DW Pay!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 10:10:39 AM »
I started to reply to this post with a thoughtful examination of gender roles and the progress we've made in equalizing gender relations, but then I went and read this actual article and was horrified.  It's antagonistic claptrap.  Pure sweet clickbait.  It appeals to all the wrong people for all of the wrong reasons.  It's not a story about gender roles or about finances, it's just about petty indignation and the people who sympathize with it.

Skip it and move on with your life, you'll be better off.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 01:19:18 PM »
I started to reply to this post with a thoughtful examination of gender roles and the progress we've made in equalizing gender relations, but then I went and read this actual article and was horrified.  It's antagonistic claptrap.  Pure sweet clickbait.  It appeals to all the wrong people for all of the wrong reasons.  It's not a story about gender roles or about finances, it's just about petty indignation and the people who sympathize with it.

Skip it and move on with your life, you'll be better off.
Good points all around. Moving.

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 06:49:23 PM »
Two sides to every story.  She did say he had a pension, she's the on who claimed it was small.  Relative to what?

Perhaps he's bringing in plenty of passive income, and she can't accept the fact that they're comfortably wealthy.  Most people think the mistachionism concept is a joke.  Maybe he's just a regular here and has done the math. 

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 02:33:38 PM »
It's plausible that both spouses don't have the same expectations of standard of living. It would seem reasonable for me that the person with the higher requirements for standard of living needs to earn more income so that their lifestyle is not subsidized by the other.

Disclaimer, I haven't read the article as it been dubbed clickbait.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 02:36:20 PM »
It's plausible that both spouses don't have the same expectations of standard of living. It would seem reasonable for me that the person with the higher requirements for standard of living needs to earn more income so that their lifestyle is not subsidized by the other.

Disclaimer, I haven't read the article as it been dubbed clickbait.
Yeah, upon further reflection the label is appropriate. It's clear there's far more to the story but it's been arbitrarily shaved down to a few dozen words.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 03:21:24 PM »
Yeah, upon further reflection the label is appropriate. It's clear there's far more to the story but it's been arbitrarily shaved down to a few dozen words.
Totally. The article gives a short summary of one point of view on the couple's situation without any details on their wealth, financial goals, etc... And then immediately starts discussing how the wife can leave her marriage and ask for reparation, without actually analyzing anything.

Not worth the read.

tukk323

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 04:08:09 PM »
Yep, she says it was ok when he was out all day but now he spends all his time on the golf course.
Don't you have to be 'out all day' in order to golf?

If he's paying his golf hobby with his pension and meeting basic living needs then she may just be complaining because she can no longer buy luxuries the way they used to. If she wants luxuries then its fair enough she should work in order to get the money to buy them.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!