Author Topic: Early retirement is bad for your health??  (Read 2105 times)

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
Early retirement is bad for your health??
« on: May 04, 2016, 06:33:36 PM »
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/retiring-65-may-help-people-151300734.html

Sure, retiring early can be bad for your health if you sit around and do nothing.  And a big, big caveat is that the study only involved people born between 1931 and 1941.  That was just 10-15 years after my parents' generation, and I don't know of too many from around that era that did much at all after they'd retired.

Might be too many factors at play here to evaluate the value of the results for later generations.  There are so many different lifestyle choices / obesity factors these days, or so it seems.  If you don't stay active and engaged, sure, your chances of a long healthy life might be diminished.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
Re: Early retirement is bad for your health??
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 04:54:04 PM »
They might have retired because of health problems. That would skew the results.  My Mom was born in 1920 and was very active in her retirement. She was hardly ever home. She lived to almost 90. My Dad retired at 54 because of severe health problems that kept him home bound.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 05:39:11 PM »
Keep working you consumer suckas! Someone's got to pay taxes while I spend my days hanging out with my family, working out, cooking healthy meals, going on long bike rides, backpacking, hunting, fishing, and gardening. Bwahahaha!

PhysicianOnFIRE

• Bristles
    • Physician On FIRE
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 05:59:20 PM »
The article is certainly intriguing. I don’t have access to the full article, but the abstract states that “healthy retirees (n=1934) were defined as individuals who self-reported health was not an important reason to retire.”

That’s one of the worst definitions of “healthy” I can think of. I could also pick on the grammar, but mine isn’t perfect. I think as long as you retire to something like most all of us plan to do, you'll be alright.