Author Topic: dumb vanity plate  (Read 18391 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: dumb vanity plate
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2021, 01:56:07 PM »
Hmmm, anybody seen any good (bad) vanity plates lately?

We live in a neighborhood that is heavily Jewish and occasionally on my drive leaving the house, I see a woman with the license plate 'SHIKSA'. Makes me chuckle as she likely got it to thumb her nose at somebody (probably her MIL).
Oh, I love that one!

When I lived on LA's Westside, I used to see OJ Simpson's yellow Mercedes with the license plate: L84ADATE, which probably referenced those commercials he made running through the airport, but turned creepy in light of what happened a few years later.

Another favorite spotted in LA was U02BNPX.  That one's easier to decipher if you add some spaces and hum a few bars: U 0 2 B N PX.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2021, 03:54:09 PM »
Reminds me - a neighbor of mine who owned a white Ford Bronco in the late 1990s got the plate:
“NOT OJ”

epritch7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2021, 10:56:15 AM »
Haha, nice. The Quattroporte is one of the fastest depreciating vehicles you can buy. There are clean title ~15 year old ones for sale under $15k (~90% depreciation).
Curious - why do Ferraris hold their value relatively well but Maseratis don’t?
An excellent question. Some of it certainly comes down to brand name prestige. But also many more Maseratis have been built than Ferraris so there is a surplus of supply. The types of vehicles Ferrari builds are more niche which also increases their appeal. If you want a cutting edge sports car there aren't many choices and Ferrari is the most recognizable. If you want a luxury sports sedan or GT there are many competitors to Maserati (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Porsche, etc.).

Maserati also has a reputation for being unreliable and expensive to maintain. Ferraris are also expensive to maintain but presumably are more reliable (or people care more so they keep them in better shape). Another factor is Ferraris aren't driven as much so on average their prices won't depreciate as much due to use.

That's not to say though that Ferraris don't depreciate a lot either though. For example, if you look at a ~15 year old F430 with 30k miles or so they will have lost a similar amount in raw dollars as a Quattroporte from the same era, it just doesn't look as bad from a percentage standpoint ($200k->$100k). Example (MSRP $219k -> $87k sale). And not every Maserati has been a depreciation nightmare. If you were lucky (and wealthy) enough to be one of the 50 people to buy a Maserati MC12 for $1.5 million in 2004/2005 you'd have seen appreciation instead of depreciation (worth $2-3 million today).

I'm mostly just making guesses here but I'm confident that the truth is mostly some factors of the above variables.

For what it's worth, every Mazerati built since 2002 has had a Ferrari built engine under the hood.  That being said, I would agree with your assessment of why they depreciate more and like any other toy if you really "need" one you might as well let some even bigger sucker buy it first and take the bulk of the depreciation hit.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2021, 02:47:08 PM »
Haha, nice. The Quattroporte is one of the fastest depreciating vehicles you can buy. There are clean title ~15 year old ones for sale under $15k (~90% depreciation).
Curious - why do Ferraris hold their value relatively well but Maseratis don’t?
An excellent question. Some of it certainly comes down to brand name prestige. But also many more Maseratis have been built than Ferraris so there is a surplus of supply. The types of vehicles Ferrari builds are more niche which also increases their appeal. If you want a cutting edge sports car there aren't many choices and Ferrari is the most recognizable. If you want a luxury sports sedan or GT there are many competitors to Maserati (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Porsche, etc.).

Maserati also has a reputation for being unreliable and expensive to maintain. Ferraris are also expensive to maintain but presumably are more reliable (or people care more so they keep them in better shape). Another factor is Ferraris aren't driven as much so on average their prices won't depreciate as much due to use.

That's not to say though that Ferraris don't depreciate a lot either though. For example, if you look at a ~15 year old F430 with 30k miles or so they will have lost a similar amount in raw dollars as a Quattroporte from the same era, it just doesn't look as bad from a percentage standpoint ($200k->$100k). Example (MSRP $219k -> $87k sale). And not every Maserati has been a depreciation nightmare. If you were lucky (and wealthy) enough to be one of the 50 people to buy a Maserati MC12 for $1.5 million in 2004/2005 you'd have seen appreciation instead of depreciation (worth $2-3 million today).

I'm mostly just making guesses here but I'm confident that the truth is mostly some factors of the above variables.

For what it's worth, every Mazerati built since 2002 has had a Ferrari built engine under the hood.  That being said, I would agree with your assessment of why they depreciate more and like any other toy if you really "need" one you might as well let some even bigger sucker buy it first and take the bulk of the depreciation hit.

Almost all Maseratis, but not true for the hybrid and diesel versions. Even with the Ferrari engines they just don't have the same brand appeal as a Ferrari. And even if the engine is perfect the car can still be let down by unreliable transmission, electrical, suspension, etc.

Agreed, the severe depreciation here works to the advantage of the used car buyer.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2021, 05:05:31 PM »
I mean, since we are on the MMM forum I feel compelled to point out that exotic sports cars really don’t work in anyone’s financial favor, used or not (excepting the dealership).

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2021, 05:52:35 PM »
I mean, since we are on the MMM forum I feel compelled to point out that exotic sports cars really don’t work in anyone’s financial favor, used or not (excepting the dealership).

Entirely depends. For most of them buying new doesn’t work out in the short term, but can work in the long term. And if you buy a used one right and take care of it and drive it like a toy (low miles), you won’t make much money but probably won’t lose much either.  They’re not good investments, but it’s entirely possible to not lose much money or make a few bucks. My little Honda convertible (not an exotic) is probably approaching the value now they I paid for it 14 years ago ($22k).  Obviously I paid to insure, maintain, etc it all these years, but depreciation is around nil. If you bought a 993 Porsche in 1995 or so, it’s probably worth MSRP or more today. Same with a Ferrari F355 or Acura NSX, unless you destroyed them or did 200k miles or something.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2021, 06:00:49 PM »

Entirely depends. For most of them buying new doesn’t work out in the short term, but can work in the long term. And if you buy a used one right and take care of it and drive it like a toy (low miles), you won’t make much money but probably won’t lose much either.  They’re not good investments, but it’s entirely possible to not lose much money or make a few bucks. My little Honda convertible (not an exotic) is probably approaching the value now they I paid for it 14 years ago ($22k).  Obviously I paid to insure, maintain, etc it all these years, but depreciation is around nil. If you bought a 993 Porsche in 1995 or so, it’s probably worth MSRP or more today. Same with a Ferrari F355 or Acura NSX, unless you destroyed them or did 200k miles or something.

You could purchase a new Ford GT for ~$150K in 2005. There is currently one listed for $399K on dupontregistry.com since it only has 785 miles on it.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2021, 06:53:34 PM »
Yeah yeah, I knew that comment would bring out such comments about some exotic cars ‘retaining’ their value, which is true to a point, but…

• i’m talking about actually driving the car on a daily basis (and racking up tens-of-thousands of road miles over several years), not keeping it in a garage as some trophy only to be taken out on fair-weather weekend jaunts
  • cost of insurance, garaging, etc
  • Opportunity cost
  • Simply looking up cars which have risen in value is survivorship bias.  Knowing which cars today that will be worth more in 20 years… much harder.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2021, 11:45:20 PM »
Yeah yeah, I knew that comment would bring out such comments about some exotic cars ‘retaining’ their value, which is true to a point, but…

• i’m talking about actually driving the car on a daily basis (and racking up tens-of-thousands of road miles over several years), not keeping it in a garage as some trophy only to be taken out on fair-weather weekend jaunts
  • Opportunity cost
  • Simply looking up cars which have risen in value is survivorship bias.  Knowing which cars today that will be worth more in 20 years… much harder.

I made money on an 82 Chevy that was a complete piece of shit. Bought it for $800 in running-ish condition and sold for $1000 with a punctured fuel tank and rotted tires, 20 years later. I guess they are popular now??? I always hated that truck. My husband insisted we trailer it here when we moved because he was going to fix it up and never did.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2021, 12:34:00 AM »

• Opportunity cost

1-3 apply to all cars. But as far as I can tell certain high end cars still hold their value better than econoboxes. Eg, half depreciated Porches. Actually, if I had kept my 1987 Porsche 944 it would now be worth 5x what I paid for it, and they aren't all that expensive to maintain.

4. Well, I just really want a Ford GT.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2021, 04:54:23 AM »

• Opportunity cost

1-3 apply to all cars. But as far as I can tell certain high end cars still hold their value better than econoboxes. Eg, half depreciated Porches. Actually, if I had kept my 1987 Porsche 944 it would now be worth 5x what I paid for it, and they aren't all that expensive to maintain.

4. Well, I just really want a Ford GT.

Well there are two different things at play here.  Wanting a Ford GT - which is fine if that’s your thing - and convincing yourself that it’s a “good investment”.

Above you listed a 2005 GT (purchase price $150k) that was selling for $399k now with essentially no miles on it.  Great, it’s worth more!  But that same investment in an SP500 index would be $727k.  Sad, and not a good ‘investment’ for something you couldn’t actually drive. That’s opportunity cost.  Maintenance costs might be minimal on a car that nets 700 miles over 16 years, but you still (presumably) insure it, register it, change the oil annually and buy some new tires every decade or so, plus need an indoor place to keep it (preferably one that’s climate controlled).  The cost of a dedicated garage space is likely the biggest expense, but hard to calculate as it depends on where you live. Several brokerages offer that index fund for an expense ratio of < 0.02%, or under $50 at the start.   So both are low, but investments are lower.

I’m not doubting that [some] exotic cars hold their value far, far better than mass-produced commuter vehicles, but every time this comes up in discussion it’s people comparing purchase prices for very-gently-driven cars cherry-picked with the benefit of hindsight and always ignoring ownership costs and what that extra $50k or $100k could have done in the market or in RE during that same time period.   
It all comes off as people just wanting to financially justify an expensive toy.  You do not need to justify buying a GT (or whatever) to me! 

kuritzl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2021, 11:50:17 AM »
Was His

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2021, 12:13:50 PM »

• Opportunity cost

I don’t think anyone is saying exotic/sports cars are investments. My point was that you said they don’t work out for anyone, but in reality it is entirely possible to buy and use an exotic/sports car as a toy and not lose much if any money at all.

Also, I bet I can name a half-dozen cars or so you could buy today and use sparingly (which is how people use these cars) and not lose anything much beyond the carrying costs:

-Porsche 911 GT3 manual
-Porsche Boxster Spyder/Cayman GT4
-Alfa 4C
-Mustang GT350
-Ferrari 458
-Gen V Dodge Viper

None of those are a particularly big gamble. Hell, I’ll throw my S2000 out there; buy one today for $20k, put 10-15k on it over the next 5 years, I bet it’s worth $20-25k at the end.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2021, 01:07:05 PM »
Above you listed a 2005 GT (purchase price $150k) that was selling for $399k now with essentially no miles on it.  Great, it’s worth more!  But that same investment in an SP500 index would be $727k.  Sad, and not a good ‘investment’ for something you couldn’t actually drive. That’s opportunity cost.  Maintenance costs might be minimal on a car that nets 700 miles over 16 years, but you still (presumably) insure it, register it, change the oil annually and buy some new tires every decade or so, plus need an indoor place to keep it (preferably one that’s climate controlled).  The cost of a dedicated garage space is likely the biggest expense, but hard to calculate as it depends on where you live. Several brokerages offer that index fund for an expense ratio of < 0.02%, or under $50 at the start.   So both are low, but investments are lower.

There's a reason that I don't have one. I never said that it was "a good investment." But I would point out that the people that buy these cars and never drive them often keep them inside their house. Like in the middle of their living room. That will never be me, I'm in the wrong economic class. There are plenty of Ford GTs around that have actually been driven and still have a dramatic increase in price.

SnipTheDog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2021, 09:09:39 AM »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2021, 09:25:19 AM »

Kris

• Walrus Stache

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2021, 02:39:24 PM »
No Joe Walsh fans?

I lost my license, now I don't drive.

It's hard to leave when you can't find the door.

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2022, 02:10:33 PM »
One of the funniest vanity plates I ever saw was on a DeLorean.

WHENAMI

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2022, 06:52:09 AM »
My favorite:

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2022, 07:33:39 AM »
While I would never pay for a plate (or want to have anything that calls attention to me), I do enjoy seeing how witty some folks are.

WHENAMI, that was great.

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2022, 10:46:22 AM »
"Feature"

My Dad used to drive a VW and was a programmer.  I could see him at least considering that plate.  (& probably deciding against it -- very MMM before his time, in lots of ways.)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2022, 12:19:38 PM »
Reminds me - a neighbor of mine who owned a white Ford Bronco in the late 1990s got the plate:
“NOT OJ”
I must have missed this. I used to live on LA's Westside in the '80's. Back then, OJ drove a Mercedes sedan with the license plate "L84AD8".

I love @Turtle's last two examples.

In related news, I've mentioned elsewhere that we've ordered vanity plates for our new-to-us RV. She will be known as E RIG B. Well, some day...maybe. When we ordered the plates in October, following the Moab Meetup, the DMV website said 4-6 months, which we thought was insane. Of course they took our money right away, which is the only confirmation we've ever received. I just checked the site. A hopeful sign is that the plate now shows as "Not Available", which could be good, but the lead time is now...wait for it... 6-9 MONTHS!

I wonder if we'll have to pay for the almost one year we didn't actually have it. The good news is we're FI/RE*, so it doesn't really matter.

*If you're paying attention, I've been out since 2012. DH is finally retiring in March 2022. Yippee!!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2022, 03:10:17 PM »
Okay, at first DH and I thought it was a name, then DH goes, I think it reads "DAMN I QUIT"

What do you think?

We were happier with the second so I snapped a shot and brought it here.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2022, 05:36:53 PM »
Clearly I have a filthy mind because I initially read it as "in de butt", with the "3" being a butt, or just because "dE" was taken already. 

Maybe the car belongs to a proctologist. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 05:54:24 PM by Villanelle »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2022, 05:51:04 PM »
Uh, there is no "3."

It's "DMNIQUI"

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2022, 05:53:35 PM »
Uh, there is no "3."

It's "DMNIQUI"

Referring to the OP. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2022, 11:53:50 AM »
I want a vanity plate that says "YICAN RE" so I can put it on my '97 Geo Prizm...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2022, 02:52:17 PM »
I mentioned this upthread, but our vanity plates we ordered on Nov.1, 2021, finally arrived in mid-April...and they're wrong! All the letters are smooshed together, so you can't tell what the hell it means. Two trips to the DMV later, it is being "researched" and we have been told it will get eight months to get a response. And, why, yes, of course, we have to pay for it in the meantime.

You be the judge(s): we ordered E RIG B for our RV, and we received ERIGB. The former has a fighting chance of being figured out, which is the whole damn point. The latter is indecipherable, imo.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2022, 07:40:45 AM »
Many years ago, I saw a Jag that appeared to have been part of a divorce settlement. The plate said TWASHIS.

Spiffy

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2022, 10:30:55 AM »
I mentioned this upthread, but our vanity plates we ordered on Nov.1, 2021, finally arrived in mid-April...and they're wrong! All the letters are smooshed together, so you can't tell what the hell it means. Two trips to the DMV later, it is being "researched" and we have been told it will get eight months to get a response. And, why, yes, of course, we have to pay for it in the meantime.

You be the judge(s): we ordered E RIG B for our RV, and we received ERIGB. The former has a fighting chance of being figured out, which is the whole damn point. The latter is indecipherable, imo.

Eleanor Rigby?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2022, 11:08:38 AM »
Yup.

shureShote

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2022, 06:46:01 PM »
I figured that out Yesterday.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2022, 11:02:41 PM »

People might think you're Irish.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2022, 01:14:05 AM »

Erin Go Bragh?

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2022, 12:09:32 PM »

Erin Go Bragh?
That's where my brain went. I have a hard time figuring out the vanity plates. I suck at wordle, too

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2022, 01:39:09 PM »
I recently saw one in Northern Virginia that read XKXKXKX.  I snapped a pic and reported it to DMV.  No idea if they did anything. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2022, 02:54:56 PM »

Erin Go Bragh?
That's where my brain went. I have a hard time figuring out the vanity plates. I suck at wordle, too
That's why I'm pissed. They took six months, charged me for something I had not received, fucked up the spacing, then blamed me for ordering it wrong. It's their  website! I followed all the directions that were offered. Apparently the pld-school paper version has special characters for spacing, but the website does not. Silly me, filling in the boxes and leaving blanks in the empty spaces is not how it works.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2022, 06:14:46 PM »

Erin Go Bragh?
That's why I'm pissed. They took six months, charged me for something I had not received, fucked up the spacing, then blamed me for ordering it wrong. It's their  website! I followed all the directions that were offered. Apparently the pld-school paper version has special characters for spacing, but the website does not. Silly me, filling in the boxes and leaving blanks in the empty spaces is not how it works.
That is annoying! My state has crap web sites for the most part, too. You'd think these west coast states *maybeeee* could find some competent firms to set up their web sites, but no.

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2022, 06:26:28 PM »
I recently saw one in Northern Virginia that read XKXKXKX.  I snapped a pic and reported it to DMV.  No idea if they did anything.
Woah - that's appalling!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2022, 12:22:01 AM »
Woah - that's appalling!
In CA, you actually have to explain the meaning of your plate. Wonder what bullshit explanation they offered to get that one. Ugh.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2022, 03:39:21 PM »
Woah - that's appalling!
In CA, you actually have to explain the meaning of your plate. Wonder what bullshit explanation they offered to get that one. Ugh.

I actually prefer that to my current state’s policy, which is basically “anything goes”.  Can’t tell you how many variations on “F___ Biden” or “F - Obama” are out there.  Or other vulgar words.  FOr the first this year they are prohibiting vulgarities, but there’s a long phase-in period. The libertarians haven’t been very happy to learn that “their” license plate is in fact property of the state, and subject to whatever rules and regulation they wish to place on them.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2022, 10:16:40 AM »
Woah - that's appalling!

Maybe they're just very proud about being an ex-KKK member?

shureShote

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2022, 10:33:01 AM »
Woah - that's appalling!

Or something completely unrelated. It's an interesting pattern to look at depending on font and spacing. I'd be hard pressed to parse it in real time on the road, it's almost an optical illusion. Like trying to tell a one from an ell in some fonts.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2022, 11:04:05 AM »
Woah - that's appalling!

Or something completely unrelated. It's an interesting pattern to look at depending on font and spacing. I'd be hard pressed to parse it in real time on the road, it's almost an optical illusion. Like trying to tell a one from an ell in some fonts.

That's why I always figured a license plate like "1OI0O01I" would be the best bet for a vanity plate.  Make it more likely that you'll get off on a technicality.  :P

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2022, 11:08:05 AM »
Woah - that's appalling!

I find it interesting that you (and possibly @BlueHouse and @Gremlin too?) saw that license plate and came to that specific interpretation.  I saw it, and only thought "gosh, that's gonna be hard for a cop or speed camera to decipher."  Thus I was a bit confused by Gremlin's strong reaction.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2022, 01:38:09 PM »
Woah - that's appalling!
I find it interesting that you (and possibly @BlueHouse and @Gremlin too?) saw that license plate and came to that specific interpretation.  I saw it, and only thought "gosh, that's gonna be hard for a cop or speed camera to decipher."  Thus I was a bit confused by Gremlin's strong reaction.
Same here. Seemed like a stretch to associate it with the KKK.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2022, 02:01:07 PM »
Woah - that's appalling!
Wait, are you serious?  I mean, all kidding aside, is there any other possible explanation than to ignore the Xes and the remainder is "KKK"

shureShote

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2022, 02:32:38 PM »
Woah - that's appalling!
Wait, are you serious?  I mean, all kidding aside, is there any other possible explanation than to ignore the Xes and the remainder is "KKK"

I know I am. If you listed 10 sets of letter and asked me to pick ones out that might be considered "bad", I would not have picked that one out. Mainly because it was a lot of lines in there and I would not have parsed it out in a way that would create a  potentially offensive set of letters.

I mean, there are more Xes than Ks, so XXXX (or XXXXX or XXXXXX or XXXXXXX) is more likely how I would read it.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2022, 03:20:41 PM »
I already provided a more probable alternative--I think "I want my plate to be as hard as possible to read" is a lot more plausible than "I want my plate to secretly advertise the KKK, but only if you look at it *really* hard."  There are LOTS of people who select their plates to be hard to read correctly, like the "TQMATQ" plate in my town, with a frame that happens to make the tails on the Q's unobtrusive.