Author Topic: dumb vanity plate  (Read 18393 times)

Spiffy

• Bristles
dumb vanity plate
« on: April 21, 2021, 12:20:24 PM »
I pulled up behind this guy at a red light yesterday and had to take a picture. I think it costs an extra $150 a year for a vanity plate in Texas. I'm sure he thinks it is money well spent.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: dumb vanity plate
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 01:10:09 PM »
Pretty funny.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 01:32:37 PM »
There is a subset of society that believes that more access to debt = more affluence. It doesn't make sense to me, but I see it often. I think the idea is "if they're willing to lend me even more money, I must be doing alright!"

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 02:21:19 PM »
There is a subset of society that believes that more access to debt = more affluence. It doesn't make sense to me, but I see it often. I think the idea is "if they're willing to lend me even more money, I must be doing alright!"

Anyone who takes deliberate entrapment as a compliment probably is probably a few assault rifles short of a purge.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 02:31:35 PM »
That's Ron Paul's truck and he's making a commentary on Texas.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 07:51:59 AM »
Wow, that's ridiculous that there's a yearly charge.  A one time charge I slightly understand, but how can you justify that much money just to change your plate?

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 09:24:47 AM »
Back when I was in the car show scene I was paying an extra $35 a year for vanity plate.  Once I quit doing that I paid extra one more time to get OUT of having a vanity plate on that car so I could cut that yearly payment.  With a whole fleet of vehicles those registrations add up to real money in a hurry.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 10:34:29 AM »
Maybe he is a very attractive man and he's using that to stop people from hitting on him so much. He might also have to park in bad neighborhoods and the plate might stop people breaking into his truck... Sorry I can't think of a really good logical reason here. Wait.... Someone lent him money to get out of a scrape and the condition was that he have that plate until the debt is paid back. I could see a controlling parent doing that to their young adult child.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 11:00:34 AM »

Anyone who takes deliberate entrapment as a compliment probably is probably a few assault rifles short of a purge.

who was it that bragged about being the "king of debt"...? 
Name is on the tip of my tongue... douglas... darren... hmm....

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 11:20:52 AM »

Dave Ramsey??? It could be a die-hard Dave Ramsey fan who thinks it's worth the money for that plate to remind himself to pay off his debt. It's all about the emotional connection to the goal, right?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 12:23:22 PM »

Dave Ramsey??? It could be a die-hard Dave Ramsey fan who thinks it's worth the money for that plate to remind himself to pay off his debt. It's all about the emotional connection to the goal, right?

Maybe he's thinking of Donald..... Duck?

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 12:40:14 PM »
$150 a year? Wow, Alaska is really missing out on some sweet sweet revenue here. I think it's a one time $25 fee for a vanity plate here. Which does have the advantage of lots of clever plates to look for. One of the plate options has a bear in the middle and people have found ways to make that part of the plate.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 04:13:23 PM »
I think it’s a brag that he/she is living an affluent lifestyle.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 04:59:24 PM »

Funniest thing I've read all day, TGS, thanks!  On one hand I'd love to use that line, and on the other hand I hope I never have to.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 05:20:25 PM »
I owe, I owe,
so off to work I go...
Yeesh!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2021, 07:47:09 AM »

Trump must be in that category. oh- someone already mentioned that : )

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2021, 09:44:59 AM »
Not a vanity plate, but along those same lines I saw this license plate frame a few years back and couldn’t help but to snap a photo of it.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2021, 09:49:53 AM »
Not a vanity plate, but along those same lines I saw this license plate frame a few years back and couldn’t help but to snap a photo of it.

Would have been funnier on an F-250 Limited short bed.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2021, 10:43:39 AM »
So the thing about IN-D3BT is that can be read more than one way.

Eg, Lovesick season 1 episode 2:

Dylan: Hi, I'm Dylan.
Cressida: Cressida Evans. I recognize you. Are you in equities?
Dylan: No, I'm in debt.
Cressida: Oh? Management or restructuring?

labrador

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2021, 02:04:28 PM »
When I was in college many years ago, I went to register my first car (an old Volvo given to me by my aunt). I went to the DMV counter and had the paperwork all filled out for a vanity plate. The grandfatherly guy behind the counter took one look at me, saw "young college student", asked if I was in college, then asked if my dad was paying for my vehicle registration. I told him "yes". He replied: "I thought so, you have no business getting this". And refused to let me do it. Over the years I have silently thanked him many times.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2021, 02:48:28 PM »
When I was in college many years ago, I went to register my first car (an old Volvo given to me by my aunt). I went to the DMV counter and had the paperwork all filled out for a vanity plate. The grandfatherly guy behind the counter took one look at me, saw "young college student", asked if I was in college, then asked if my dad was paying for my vehicle registration. I told him "yes". He replied: "I thought so, you have no business getting this". And refused to let me do it. Over the years I have silently thanked him many times.

While I’m glad this worked out for you, I can’t help but but be annoyed at this person.  A state employee has absolutely no business refusing service because of their own personal opinions. Absolutely unacceptable, and illegal.

johndoe

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2021, 07:43:25 PM »
I saw one around the interwebz that might be more appropriate:

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2021, 08:51:38 AM »
Wow, that's ridiculous that there's a yearly charge.  A one time charge I slightly understand, but how can you justify that much money just to change your plate?
I live in an HCOL neighborhood in Austin, TX. The amount of vanity plates on brand-new flashy pickups and SUVs around here is staggering, and it almost seems like people are looking for new ways to one-off their neighbors.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2021, 11:17:34 AM »
Our state currently allows vulgar license plates, though that is being challenged with a new bill moving through the legislature. 

As a result, I occasionally pass vehicles (typically large pickup) with the F or C word on their plates, often combined with a politician or party. 

I'm not a fan.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2021, 11:52:28 AM »

One of my favorite things about Rand  Paul was when he was campaigning in Iowa, my home state, during Halloween. He wore a costume representing the national debt because he said it was the scariest thing he could think of.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2021, 03:08:06 PM »

One of my favorite things about Rand  Paul was when he was campaigning in Iowa, my home state, during Halloween. He wore a costume representing the national debt because he said it was the scariest thing he could think of.

Haha nice!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2021, 12:43:05 PM »

Haha nice!

Is he still a climate change denier?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2021, 01:23:56 PM »
Rand Paul was a frequent gaslighter and political high-theatre before  Trump and his followers made it trendy.

He went to medical school (and is was opthomologist) but panders to the anti-Vaxx movement, talking about how they transform kids from healthy to having profound mental disorders. He plagiarized parts of his speech from Wikipedia and then got angry when people pointed it out.  More recently he’s objected to the CDC being in charge of leading the federal response to the pandemic, asking who gave them that right [for the record - congress, of which he is a member].

HIs whole grandstanding about the national debt irritates the hell out of me... which is probably partly his aim.  He voted for the 2017 tax cuts and says he wants to cut tax rates further (including FICA), which account for a not-unsubstantial portion of the debt accrued in the last five years of which he seems so deeply, morally opposed.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2021, 05:13:14 AM »
Rand Paul was a frequent gaslighter and political high-theatre before  Trump and his followers made it trendy.

He went to medical school (and is was opthomologist) but panders to the anti-Vaxx movement, talking about how they transform kids from healthy to having profound mental disorders. He plagiarized parts of his speech from Wikipedia and then got angry when people pointed it out.  More recently he’s objected to the CDC being in charge of leading the federal response to the pandemic, asking who gave them that right [for the record - congress, of which he is a member].

HIs whole grandstanding about the national debt irritates the hell out of me... which is probably partly his aim.  He voted for the 2017 tax cuts and says he wants to cut tax rates further (including FICA), which account for a not-unsubstantial portion of the debt accrued in the last five years of which he seems so deeply, morally opposed.

It's kind of sad that he's Ron Paul's son. Ron, at least in my opinion, could be respected for consistency even though he was out there. His son just seems to play for the publicity.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2021, 11:25:45 PM »

That's inline with the US Libertarian Platform which wants to cut taxes while cutting services even faster. He just never got a chance to do the second. But yea, maths would indicate that he only did half the job.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2021, 10:34:17 AM »

That's inline with the US Libertarian Platform which wants to cut taxes while cutting services even faster. He just never got a chance to do the second. But yea, maths would indicate that he only did half the job.

That’s what irritates me About self-described deficit Hawks. After failing to get any traction with cutting programs they have collectively said “ok, then we will just blow the deficit up, cheer for the implosion of the US economy so we can then pay ourselves on the back for being “right”.  “

If people don’t support the service cuts you are advocating, and you believe the debt matters, then it’s irresponsible to cut revenue.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 02:32:42 PM by nereo »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2021, 01:24:01 PM »
Hmmm, anybody seen any good (bad) vanity plates lately?

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2021, 01:45:50 PM »

That’s what irritates me Scott self-described deficit Hawks. After failing to get any traction with cutting programs they have collectively said “ok, then we will just blow the deficit up, cheer for the implosion of the US economy so we can then pay ourselves on the back for being “right”.  “

If people don’t support the service cuts you are advocating, and you believe the debt matters, then it’s irresponsible to cut revenue.

I don't disagree. But at least Rand Paul is on the record for saying that the GOP are a bunch of hypocrites.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFkUX8kpIvE

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2021, 02:35:33 PM »

Actually yes!

Today while driving a Maserati Quattroporte blasted by me.
I had just enough time to catch the plate:
YIB POOR

At least he’s got a self defacing sense of humor...

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2021, 02:48:29 PM »

Actually yes!

YIB POOR

Haha, nice. The Quattroporte is one of the fastest depreciating vehicles you can buy. There are clean title ~15 year old ones for sale under $15k (~90% depreciation).

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2021, 03:05:21 PM »

Actually yes!

YIB POOR

Haha, nice. The Quattroporte is one of the fastest depreciating vehicles you can buy. There are clean title ~15 year old ones for sale under $15k (~90% depreciation).
Curious - why do Ferraris hold their value relatively well but Maseratis don’t?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2021, 03:37:42 PM »

Actually yes!

YIB POOR

I have it on good authority that people drive their Maserati's 185, then lose their licenses and can't drive.  So there's probably a smaller pool of potential buyers.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2021, 04:00:24 PM »
An excellent question. Some of it certainly comes down to brand name prestige. But also many more Maseratis have been built than Ferraris so there is a surplus of supply. The types of vehicles Ferrari builds are more niche which also increases their appeal. If you want a cutting edge sports car there aren't many choices and Ferrari is the most recognizable. If you want a luxury sports sedan or GT there are many competitors to Maserati (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Porsche, etc.).

Maserati also has a reputation for being unreliable and expensive to maintain. Ferraris are also expensive to maintain but presumably are more reliable (or people care more so they keep them in better shape). Another factor is Ferraris aren't driven as much so on average their prices won't depreciate as much due to use.

That's not to say though that Ferraris don't depreciate a lot either though. For example, if you look at a ~15 year old F430 with 30k miles or so they will have lost a similar amount in raw dollars as a Quattroporte from the same era, it just doesn't look as bad from a percentage standpoint ($200k->$100k). Example (MSRP $219k -> $87k sale). And not every Maserati has been a depreciation nightmare. If you were lucky (and wealthy) enough to be one of the 50 people to buy a Maserati MC12 for $1.5 million in 2004/2005 you'd have seen appreciation instead of depreciation (worth $2-3 million today).

I'm mostly just making guesses here but I'm confident that the truth is mostly some factors of the above variables.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2021, 04:11:24 PM »
No Joe Walsh fans?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2021, 04:11:51 PM »
No Joe Walsh fans?
I caught the reference. =)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2021, 04:32:17 PM »
No Joe Walsh fans?

It made me laugh

rmorris50

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2021, 04:50:08 PM »
I saw “TAX DIVA” the other day. I could only assume she loves preparing peoples’ taxes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2021, 07:37:46 PM »

I just assume that everyone associates Maserati with the Bora as much as I do which is generally consider to just be a pretty bad car. From the above:

Obviously, it isn’t bullet-proof in terms of reliability, the body tends to rust in some areas more than you may expect...
  • Citroen hydraulics could fail, leaving you without brakes
  • Body rust can be an issue
  • Isn’t the best handling supercar of the ‘70s

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2021, 08:42:46 PM »

I just assume that everyone associates Maserati with the Bora as much as I do which is generally consider to just be a pretty bad car. From the above:

Obviously, it isn’t bullet-proof in terms of reliability, the body tends to rust in some areas more than you may expect...
  • Citroen hydraulics could fail, leaving you without brakes
  • Body rust can be an issue
  • Isn’t the best handling supercar of the ‘70s
The Bora is at least a desirable classic Maserati. I think more people think of the bi-turbo cars which had a terrible reputation for reliability in addition to being uninspiring both visually and in performance. But today's Maserati has nothing to do with that era. The modern Maserati customer will be more concerned about sharing cheap parts with Fiat-Chrysler.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2021, 09:28:47 PM »
No Joe Walsh fans?

I lost my license, now I don't drive.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2021, 11:06:19 PM »

Haha nice!

Is he still a climate change denier?
If so, he will need a taller truck for those rising sea levels!

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2021, 05:20:49 AM »
It is possible this guy is a billionaire and is in debt until he dies in order to qualify for the Child tax credit and pay no income tax.

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2021, 05:36:10 AM »
I saw “TAX DIVA” the other day. I could only assume she loves preparing peoples’ taxes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a CPA and a coworker has the plate TAX NERD

A couple of years ago I saw a huge Platinum Edition Ford Expedition with the plate "401k". I don't know if he thinks it's an investment like one, or if he had to withdraw/borrow from his, or if it costs as much as his balance at the time. Either way I was mildly appalled

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2021, 08:36:37 AM »
Years ago I saw the license plate 40YRW8 (or something to that effect) on a new Corvette. Implying they had worked for 40 years to afford the car. I guess its a good example of delayed gratification, at least.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2021, 10:09:37 AM »

We live in a neighborhood that is heavily Jewish and occasionally on my drive leaving the house, I see a woman with the license plate 'SHIKSA'. Makes me chuckle as she likely got it to thumb her nose at somebody (probably her MIL).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!