Author Topic: Driving to the mailbox  (Read 5158 times)

Dr. A

• Stubble
Driving to the mailbox
« on: May 09, 2014, 06:39:09 AM »
I live in a sort of medium-density apartment complex. It's got about 250 "townhouse style" apartments clustered into building groups with ample landscaping and off-street parking, so not super-dense but it's only about 1200' from end to end. My apartment is near one of two central mail/trash areas, so I get to watch the endless parade of clown cars driving up to the end of the road to check the mail. The most distant apartment is approxiamtely 700' from the mailbox.

This is standard-issue anti-mustachian on most days, but I watched two trips last weekend that went above-and-beyond, so I figured they deserved to be added to the Wall:

#1 - A Prius. I got the urge to walk over, punch the guy in the face and say "Hey eco-warrior, you're doing it wrong!"

#2 - A car with this sticker on the back:

Congratulations! You ran a fucking marathon, but the 100-yard walk to pick up a restaurant flyer and a postcard was just too much!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
Re: Driving to the mailbox
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 06:59:19 AM »
hahahaha - totally understand and agree. Stuff like this blows my mind.

And I really dislike when people have marathon stickers, "salt life" decals, etc.

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 08:38:20 AM »
I like the prius idea. It doesn't use any gas under 25mph!

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 08:39:06 AM »

And I really dislike when people have marathon stickers, "salt life" decals, etc.

I don't know what those sale life decals mean, but every time I see one, I have to do a double take because I think it says "slut life."  Every damn time.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 12:35:18 PM »
The Google says "salt life" is a surfer dude / beach bum type.

Oh, and talk about fucking lazy to drive to the mailbox. 

Best one of those miles stickers I've seen:  "2650"  Not some wussy 26.2, but 2,650 miles.  Thru hiker style, on the Pacific Crest Trail.

golfer44

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 12:37:50 PM »
Wow, these are round trip drives? Not just stopping by on the drive home?

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 12:46:57 PM »
I like the prius idea. It doesn't use any gas under 25mph!

[sarcasm]

Yeah, just always-clean electric power ;)

[/sarcasm]

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 02:47:36 PM »

I don't know what those sale life decals mean, but every time I see one, I have to do a double take because I think it says "slut life."  Every damn time.

lol - I honestly thought it said Slut Life for the longest too.

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 09:22:19 PM »
Wow, these are round trip drives? Not just stopping by on the drive home?

Sort of in-between. They are generally on the way in, or out, but the mailbox is at the end of a cul-de-sac, so every one is going out of their way to do it.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 06:08:25 PM »
My Dad used to live in southwest Pennsylvania. We used to sit on his front porch and watch his neighbor drive to her mailbox that was 60 feet away!!!! It was so hard to not yell at this fat slob.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 08:07:48 AM »
Yeah, I also thought those stickers said Slut Life for a long time.  Of course, the phrase Thug Life was a thing around high school for a while, so it seemed believable (though sad) to me. 

When I was a kid, we had a long -- think 1/4 mile -- drive, so we'd stop the car as we returned from an outing, and someone'd jump out and grab the mail, and get back in the car.  But getting into the car, starting it and driving it down the hill JUST for the mail?  No.