Author Topic: Driving Season???  (Read 2623 times)

CanIndian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Driving Season???
« on: June 21, 2016, 01:46:26 PM »
The washer at the condo I am renting is broken and I was riding my bike carrying 2 loads of clothes in a trailer and listening to local radio station on tune-in.

On the relatively hot June evening in Southern Ontario (32c), the ad on the radio was on the lines of "Upgrade to an Acura this Driving Season".
When did summer become a driving season?? A quick Google check today and the nomenclature is all over.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/13/opec-oil-to-get-boost-from-summer-driving-season.html
http://money.usnews.com/investing/articles/2016-05-17/what-to-expect-at-the-pump-this-driving-season
http://www.kingstonacura.com/special-offers/tlx-145296

Which season is not a driving season for these Auto dealers anyway?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:31:26 AM by CanIndian »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
Re: Driving Sreason???
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 02:19:18 PM »
Think it has to do with the popularity of the summer road trip, ie a vacation families take when kids are out of school for the summer. 

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 02:33:36 PM »
Driving season IMO is tied in with the holidays from before the 4th of july through when school begins when gas prices are traditionally higher than any other time of the year on average.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 02:48:35 PM »
Driving season IMO is tied in with the holidays from before the 4th of july through when school begins when gas prices are traditionally higher than any other time of the year on average.

Memorial Day to Labor Day (and including July 4th).  Lots of people take road trips on those long weekends, or in between. 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 03:00:01 PM »
Yup! I love summer road trips, motorcycle touring, etc. Way more fun when there is no snow =)

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 09:28:26 AM »
The concept of "driving season" actually isn't as anti-Mustachian as you may think at first. In his blog posts MMM has written that cars are wonderful tools for transporting people and gear over long-distance trips. The "clownage" he detests is the use of cars for the shorter everyday local trips we make on a daily basis when we're not on vacation.

CanIndian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Driving Season???
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 09:33:26 AM »
Well a lot of you seem to be aware of it, and in agreement with the concept. That's the first time I have heard about it anyway, and upgrading to a new car, an Acura at that, for the Driving Season is pretty antimustachian, though standard fare from the auto industry.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 09:36:59 AM »
Well a lot of you seem to be aware of it, and in agreement with the concept. That's the first time I have heard about it anyway, and upgrading to a new car, an Acura at that, for the Driving Season is pretty antimustachian, though standard fare from the auto industry.
Indeed.  I do plenty of "summer driving" roadtrips but they're generally in old pieces of shit, not new Acuras.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 11:34:16 PM »
Summer has always been driving season - ever wonder why the gas prices go up every summer? People want to go places.