Author Topic: Driving kids an hour to school  (Read 3910 times)

EarlThePearl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Driving kids an hour to school
« on: October 17, 2016, 07:08:47 AM »
I recently met two different work acquaintances whose wives drive their kids about an hour plus/minus to school each day depending on crazy New Jersey traffic. Both are stay at home moms. The kids aren't special needs or anything- and the schools in their hometowns seem serviceable plus the private schools they're going to seem decent but not all that fantastic or specialized.

This to me seems like a waste- not only are you shelling out for private school and gas. I don't think they care too much about that (non-mustachians) but the opportunity cost for everyone of being stuck in a car each day for 2 hours.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 07:27:52 AM by MichaelNesmith12 »

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Driving kids an hour to school
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 07:38:11 AM »
That's why we chose to live in a smaller place. I did the big city thing for several years. No thanks. Can't imagine doing it for 30 years! The cost (miles, fuel, maintenance, tires), the time, the risk, the inevitable drive-thru food b/c you are bored and want a treat, etc.

Alot of people do it without a thought though. I could get into the mental decompress time - time to listen to a podcast or audiobook. Would be really nice with a reliable self-driving car.

And then complicate all that with weather / road construction / traffic part of the year.

I prefer getting home in 15 minutes of slow small town speeds.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 07:52:47 PM »
That's why we chose to live in a smaller place. I did the big city thing for several years. No thanks. Can't imagine doing it for 30 years! The cost (miles, fuel, maintenance, tires), the time, the risk, the inevitable drive-thru food b/c you are bored and want a treat, etc.

Huh, that's interesting. I choose to live in a larger city, at least in part, because I don't have to drive at all, and it is very quick to get every where I need to go. Housing costs are high, but transportation costs are trivial.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 08:48:05 PM »
I recently met two different work acquaintances whose wives drive their kids about an hour plus/minus to school each day depending on crazy New Jersey traffic. Both are stay at home moms. The kids aren't special needs or anything- and the schools in their hometowns seem serviceable plus the private schools they're going to seem decent but not all that fantastic or specialized.

This to me seems like a waste- not only are you shelling out for private school and gas. I don't think they care too much about that (non-mustachians) but the opportunity cost for everyone of being stuck in a car each day for 2 hours.

Two hours or four for the SAHMs?

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 07:21:42 AM »

Huh, that's interesting. I choose to live in a larger city, at least in part, because I don't have to drive at all, and it is very quick to get every where I need to go. Housing costs are high, but transportation costs are trivial.

I guess we both "did it right". The alternative would be the big suburban commute which lasts an hour or more. Work in the city and live in the sticks. Weather and traffic or a sick child complicates the whole affair.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 07:36:58 AM »
This reminds me of the parents who get in the car rider pickup line an HOUR early at my kiddos' school. I only discovered this when I picked up my kiddos early a few times last year for doctor appointments and such. I would get to school around 2:45PM and, lo and behold, I would see 20-30 cars already lined up in the pickup line. (pick up time doesn't start until 3:45PM).

And many of the cars were idling (some were turned off).

I couldn't wrap my head around wasting so much time. I figure a few of them might have middle schoolers who just got out of a nearby middle school, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't explain all of them.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 10:35:54 AM »
This reminds me of the parents who get in the car rider pickup line an HOUR early at my kiddos' school. I only discovered this when I picked up my kiddos early a few times last year for doctor appointments and such. I would get to school around 2:45PM and, lo and behold, I would see 20-30 cars already lined up in the pickup line. (pick up time doesn't start until 3:45PM).

I couldn't wrap my head around wasting so much time. I figure a few of them might have middle schoolers who just got out of a nearby middle school, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't explain all of them.
That sounds crazy! But our school has staggered "off" times.  Kindergarten out at 1:30, 1st-3rd out at 2:40, 4th-6th out at 3:10.  So it could be that.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 12:35:42 PM »

Same exact thing happens here. Mind boggling. For me its faster to go home and wait for my kids to come on the bus b/c they are early in the route. 

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 12:21:19 PM »

Same exact thing happens here. Mind boggling. For me its faster to go home and wait for my kids to come on the bus b/c they are early in the route.
In California, you have to pay extra for your child to ride a schoolbus...presuming they even decide to offer bus service in a particular year.  When they do, that schoolbus ride may be over an hour each way for a kid.  But at least the taxes in CA are cheap...  /facepalm

Thankfully, I don't live there.  You know, other places have nice weather too.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 10:27:48 AM »
I used to ride the school bus for an hour each way. I was only living 10 miles from school but the route was long b/c it was the boonies and the kids were spread out.

Thank you Grim Squeaker. You did my homework for me. Your numbers solved a riddle I had wondered about since living here but never brought out a calculator and scratch paper to solve.

I went back and edited my previous message b/c my fingers were going faster than my brain - as usual. ;)