Author Topic: Driving 3.2 miles to avoid walking 4 blocks  (Read 8067 times)

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
Driving 3.2 miles to avoid walking 4 blocks
« on: June 25, 2014, 01:43:07 PM »
I really had to bite my tongue today......  A senior partner in my law firm and I had a 3 PM meeting at City Hall.  It's a four block walk (.7 miles) through our Capital Grounds which are absolutely lovely.  I did it on Friday and it took about 10 minutes (it's a pretty steep hill) going there and less than that coming back.

Today, we drove.   No, it's not stifling hot or raining.

As the junior associate I had no say in how we got there so I just had to stifle my thoughts.  Because of one-way streets and because we had to hunt for parking, we ended up driving approximately 3.2 miles (according to Google Maps).   Upon arrival, she paid for parking ($1.50, meter).  Driving, parking, and walking a block took approximately 15 minutes.  Along the way, she was very helpful in coaching me on where the best parking spots are and how I should always be sure to leave early so I have time to circle the block waiting for a space if need be.   I quietly said "Thanks.  I usually walk.  If the weather's bad, I take the bus."  She just looked at me like I'd grown wings.

I'm now back in my office and can't seem to pick my jaw up off the ground.  Please tell me I dreamed that.

Edited to add:  She drives a SUV.   [facepunch]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:51:41 PM by TrulyStashin »

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Driving 3.2 miles to avoid walking 4 blocks
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 01:57:25 PM »
Could be worse, she could have had someone drop you off and pick you up. Or used a limo service.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
oh man. that is horrifying!

kyleaaa

• Bristles
    • Kyle Bumpus
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 02:52:33 PM »
I'm guessing a senior partner at a law firm can probably afford the gas expenditure.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 03:10:01 PM »
I'm guessing a senior partner at a law firm can probably afford the gas expenditure.

I don't think it's "OMG they can't afford the $0.10 of gas." more like, the "exploding volcano of wastefulness," and the fact that I would think most people would actually enjoy a four-block walk more than driving around looking for parking.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 03:19:13 PM »

I don't think it's "OMG they can't afford the $0.10 of gas." more like, the "exploding volcano of wastefulness," and the fact that I would think most people would actually enjoy a four-block walk more than driving around looking for parking.

Bingo.  And the lack of thought given to it.  She drives always because she has always driven.

It's a beautiful day.  I was looking forward to the walk.

SkinnyGreenMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 04:31:04 PM »
What a waste of time, and extra stress to deal with finding a parking spot.  And planning for leaving early to make sure you got there on time to find parking!

I walk about that far every morning to work, and am happier because of it.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
My work had a big tub of umbrellas because people are often scheduled for meetings with other departments near by and they would prefer taxis not be used.

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »
My work had a big tub of umbrellas because people are often scheduled for meetings with other departments near by and they would prefer taxis not be used.

That's awesome!

At my work, they provide big tubs of beer. It's not good beer, and this comment is not on topic, but um... I forget what my point is.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 08:36:55 PM »

That's awesome!

At my work, they provide big tubs of beer. It's not good beer, and this comment is not on topic, but um... I forget what my point is.
I am 90% sure the point was beer in the office...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 09:59:11 AM »
I imagine as lawyers you are stuck in an office for many hours each week. The walk to city hall isn't so much in my mind about wastefulness, but rather about getting fresh air, which can provide numerous benefits. For the past week I have been making a point of going for runs (mentality being to get my running clothes on and heading outside, no distance required just do something) and am finding myself feeling so much happier and focused as a result. It isn't rocket science.

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 04:28:03 PM »
I face this near exact situation with my officemates. I sub-lease space from two attorneys, and we are located downtown, 0.4 miles from the three major courthouses in our district. All three courthouses are on three corners of the same intersection. It takes less than 10 minutes to walk to court, no matter which one you're walking to.

Both of them drive nearly every time they go to court, and either pay for parking (and search for it) or risk getting a ticket because there is little/no parking available. Yet they were willing to pay a premium for the office space because it was "so close to the courthouses." I will mention, my firm only pays rent, and I made sure all other amenities were included in the cost - I pay no other separate bills save for my malpractice insurance and bar dues. For the part of town and the MANY times I walk to court (along with the visibility to potential clients), I get a very good deal on rent.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 11:40:29 AM »
I was with you until you wrote "she".  If I were wearing the shoes she was probably wearing, I wouldn't want to walk it either.  Business shoes for women are only one degree below fashionable shoes in their torture level.  And, going to a meeting, she would not want to wear walking shoes and carry shoes to change into at the destination.

(Fortunately science types (and faculty) are not expected to be fashionable, I wore comfortable, sensible (i.e. not fashionable) shoes most of my working life.)

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 03:53:05 PM »
I was with you until you wrote "she".  If I were wearing the shoes she was probably wearing, I wouldn't want to walk it either.  Business shoes for women are only one degree below fashionable shoes in their torture level.  And, going to a meeting, she would not want to wear walking shoes and carry shoes to change into at the destination.

(Fortunately science types (and faculty) are not expected to be fashionable, I wore comfortable, sensible (i.e. not fashionable) shoes most of my working life.)
Ridiculous women's sites seem like they are enabled by car culture.

Put another way,  if we lived in a culture where waking a short distance was the expected behavior,  the woman who chooses impractical shoes would be the one thought a fool.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »
Did you mean styles?  I totally agree - we don't bind our feet or wear tight-laced corsets, but we still allow fashion to dictate to us.  Men used to also dress in a non-functional way (at least those with money, the workers always wore functional clothes for work) but now they are not as constrained.  I have to acknowledge the tie - it is almost as bad as high heeled shoes with pointy toes.  Not quite but almost.

Amelia Bloomer must be getting lots of exercise, rolling in her grave.

Put another way,  if we lived in a culture where waking a short distance was the expected behavior,  the woman who chooses impractical shoes would be the one thought a fool.

PDXgrl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 09:22:38 PM »

I doubt her shoes were so uncomfortable she couldn't walk 4 blocks (let alone around an office all day). M-F I am a suit, wear heels, and walk all over downtown to meetings. Professional heels are typically made with more support anyway and aren't terrible for an average work day, and as she is a lawyer I'm guessing her shoes are more conservative and less Kardashian. My point is that I feel that her habit of driving is a more likely culprit here than the shoes.

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 08:17:56 AM »
That's interesting! I suppose I should have realized there was a spectrum of practicality in the world of high heeled shoes. (and yes,  I meant shoes,  not sites... Damn you autocorrect!)

Also,  I'm with ReitedAt63 about being anti necktie. What a terrible invention.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 11:08:42 AM »

I doubt her shoes were so uncomfortable she couldn't walk 4 blocks (let alone around an office all day). M-F I am a suit, wear heels, and walk all over downtown to meetings. Professional heels are typically made with more support anyway and aren't terrible for an average work day, and as she is a lawyer I'm guessing her shoes are more conservative and less Kardashian. My point is that I feel that her habit of driving is a more likely culprit here than the shoes.

good point, totally depends on the shoes. I have a pair of high-heeled-but-not-ridiculous Cole Haans (I know I know! it was pre-MMM) and they are the bomb dot com in terms of comfort. it does take a little practice though.

PDXgrl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 11:47:29 AM »

good point, totally depends on the shoes. I have a pair of high-heeled-but-not-ridiculous Cole Haans (I know I know! it was pre-MMM) and they are the bomb dot com in terms of comfort. it does take a little practice though.

No need to apologize on the Cole Haans, let's not get crazy now!! Bomb dot com pretty much sums them up.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 01:54:01 PM »
It's entirely practical to slip on a good pair of walking shoes (ultralights or the like), walk the mileage to the courthouse or appointment, then slip them off and into the briefcase.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 09:51:27 AM »
MarciaB, PDXgrl - if her shoes are her issue she needs to take lessons from you two!  I can't walk any distance in heels because I have very flat feet and they hurt, no matter how good the shoe.  But I know this is relatively rare, so she maybe needs to look into her options.  Too bad she isn't on here ;-/

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 04:11:33 PM »
Not that I've actually walked in her shoes, but I noticed what she was wearing (2" heel, comfortable looking footbed, soft leather, not pointed toe).  I don't think it was the shoes. 

I keep a pair of appropriate flats at my desk and I have a black, small-ish, nondescript bag that I carry with me.  My heels go into the bag while I'm walking and then I swap them up when I get where I'm going.  Same would work in a briefcase (which I tend not to carry).  It also protects my dress shoes from abuse -- city walking is not kind to shoes.

A little creative thinking makes the shoe-thing manageable.  It's just habits that get in the way.  Aren't we (lawyers) supposed to be analytical problem-solvers?  (rhetorical)

Side note:  Cole Haan......... [sigh].  Yes, they are the best.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!