Author Topic: Driving 20 miles in a Suburban (about $6 in gas) to buy $2 worth of grapes  (Read 6472 times)

U.N.Owen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Unfortunately I'm needing to call this one out on my spouse (still a work in progress getting her to grow facial hair! Let me tell you it is NOT easy)

She was making chicken salad for dinner and decided that she wanted to add grapes to it. When I pointed out to her that this would involve ~30 minutes (travel and the time to shop), plus cost around 1.5 gallons in fuel, for a VERY small purchase, I think she understood, but ended up going anyway. I only recently found this place, but it's already found me thinking in terms like that (is the trip worth it, what's the true cost, is it really needed?), now just need to bring her around to this way of thinking.

Yes, I am aware that a suburban is not mustachian, but as I said, new to MMM and I've got a LONG way to go myself (but at least I'm now on the road and heading the right direction!)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 07:40:34 PM by U.N.Owen »

keith

• Bristles
Re: Driving 20 miles in a Suburban (about $6 in gas) to buy $2 worth of grapes
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 08:14:17 PM »
If the closest grocery store is that far away, its definitely time to consolidate those trips to a few as possible. Good that you are thinking in that mindset.

However, I think the first order of business is to sell the suburban and switch to a proper fuel-efficient car. :)

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 08:42:50 AM »
I think what we all really want to know is, did you punch your wife in the face for being unmustachian?

Angelfishtitan

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 10:02:39 AM »
Ouch...As bad as the money aspect is, losing 30 mins of one's day for such a minor addition to dinner is even worse. Whenever I forget something that goes with dinner, unless it is a major part (we are talking flour in bread major) then I just substitute with whatever I have on hand.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 02:23:53 PM »
Verify that this was actually a case of really really wanting grapes and not a case of Desperate to get a break away from the kids/house/...   I quite often find I have the strongest need to go and get something  that very often I don't need and sometimes don't even want.  What I'm really trying to do is get some time to myself.  Going to pick something up from the grocery store just sounds better then Needing to get the hell out of here for awhile

Taylor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Great post, U.N. Owen!

If that a reference to 'And Then There Were None'? Love that book!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
Strider, I think you might be on to something.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
I thought the OP was just I.P. Daley's cousin.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
I thought the OP was just I.P. Daley's cousin.
Aaah! Wokka wokka!

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
I think what we all really want to know is, did you punch your wife in the face for being unmustachian?

Metaphorically, of course.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 01:53:26 PM »

Metaphorically, of course.
>__> Yeah. Cause it's not funny, even metaphorically.
Just saying guys.
Respect your significant others, always. Even if they don't understand you or where you're coming from financially.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »
Raisins or craisins are a perfectly fine substitute for that "sweet" element in a chicken or tuna salad - but yeah, maybe she just needed to get out of the house and could have gone for a bike ride. ;)

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 10:31:42 AM »
Unfortunately I'm needing to call this one out on my spouse (still a work in progress getting her to grow facial hair! Let me tell you it is NOT easy)

She was making chicken salad for dinner and decided that she wanted to add grapes to it. When I pointed out to her that this would involve ~30 minutes (travel and the time to shop), plus cost around 1.5 gallons in fuel, for a VERY small purchase, I think she understood, but ended up going anyway. I only recently found this place, but it's already found me thinking in terms like that (is the trip worth it, what's the true cost, is it really needed?), now just need to bring her around to this way of thinking.

Yes, I am aware that a suburban is not mustachian, but as I said, new to MMM and I've got a LONG way to go myself (but at least I'm now on the road and heading the right direction!)

Not to mention value of her time and probability she's in an accident.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!