Author Topic: Drive to work early to beat traffic and then sleep in your car (with it running)  (Read 3229 times)

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
I see quite a bit of this at my work and I've seen it previously.  Folks drive to work early and then nap in their running car until it is time to go in.

I work on base and there are 3 free gyms on base, so they could knock out a free workout instead of sleeping and burning gas.

Anyone else seen this trend?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Christ that's ridiculous. Why not start work early and then leave early to beat the traffic on the way home?

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
Good way to test the integrity of the body of the car, and for any small exhaust leaks. What could go wrong?

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
When we lived in So. California, the traffic was so bad that my husband would go into work super early (3:30 or 4:00 AM) to avoid the traffic and then nap in the car.... but not running.  (Corona to Anaheim commute)  Brought blankets in the winter and opened the window in the summer.  He worked shifts, so couldn't start/leave early.  Traffic is crazy in So Cal, so glad we moved...

MustachiansWitness

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I work on base and there are 3 free gyms on base, so they could knock out a free workout instead of sleeping and burning gas.

Well they're driving to work, so obviously these clowns are already olympic athletes that have no time to waste on petty bicycle cardio. And since they're wasting tens of thousands a year commuting by car, they probably also have unlimited money, so why not leave it running? Their job is probably just something they do to pass the time and rest their muscles after their olympic level training.

Or maybe they work a second job as actual clowns, and the nap in their running car is just an extra effect after the main comedy show they put on by driving to work.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache

Well they're driving to work, so obviously these clowns are already olympic athletes that have no time to waste on petty bicycle cardio. And since they're wasting tens of thousands a year commuting by car, they probably also have unlimited money, so why not leave it running? Their job is probably just something they do to pass the time and rest their muscles after their olympic level training.

Or maybe they work a second job as actual clowns, and the nap in their running car is just an extra effect after the main comedy show they put on by driving to work.

This is a delightful explanation and I am pleased for these millionaire Olympians. Initially I was surprised there were so many of them (based on the % of millionaires and % of Olympians) but I figure that the discipline needed for Olympic training has helped them with their generation and stewardship of great wealth, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
I know people who do this to get a good parking space. Not sure if they leave it running or not, but they probably do in winter. One actually had some creeper get in the car with her while she was sleeping.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
I've slept in my car during my lunch break but never with it running, wtf?

One guy at work leaves his truck running and sits in it, to I assume eat lunch since it's around that time. The office/cafeteria area has AC and heat at all times...

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
The office/cafeteria area has AC and heat at all times...
seems counter productive?