Author Topic: Drive Thru Grocery Store  (Read 12946 times)

mountains_o_mustaches

• Stubble
Drive Thru Grocery Store
« on: March 15, 2016, 09:14:19 PM »
Saw this on my Facebook feed.  It was just so anti-Mustachian I had to come right over here and post it. 

https://www.facebook.com/futurism/videos/535214066657797/

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Drive Thru Grocery Store
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 09:22:06 PM »
More or less so than drive-through fast food?

More or less so than drive-through liquor stores?

mountains_o_mustaches

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:23:51 PM »

More than both - take a look at the video - it was just so gross on so many levels...

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 09:25:34 PM »
The world just does not need this.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 10:39:54 PM »
That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Then there is all the exhaust pollution in the building. And the dirty floors. And the people too lazy to stroll through a store.

The older I get the less absurd this seems. Not that I like it but that people would eat this up...

Meanwhile on the TV I'm watching "A Chef's Life" where people work hard to make their food and decrease the distance from the farm to the table. Opposite ends of the cultural spectrum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Chef%27s_Life

http://www.pbs.org/show/chefs-life/

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 10:45:24 PM »
OMG, that is so crazy!  I mean, even from the lazy man's perspective, this seems like a hassle.  Think about how annoying/difficult it is to lean out your window for the ATM.  Unless the product you want is stocked front and center, it's gonna be a real pain to reach what you want, let alone when you want to compare options or pick the best quality fruit/veggies.  And how long will it take to rotate through the store's entire inventory?  There are essentially no "pros" and only "cons" to this concept.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 12:12:57 AM »
Some of the comments on the video are just as idiotic! Really crazy seeing people rationalize this type of thing.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 01:00:58 AM »

More than both - take a look at the video - it was just so gross on so many levels...

Okay, I didn't look at the video. I imagined the guy giving a grocery store employee his list and getting the groceries. Like a normal drive-through.

This isn't a drive-through, this is a ... driving store?

Good god.

Good god.

Good god.

As an aside, can you imagine how many car accidents, cars hitting shelves, and cars scraping shelves, are going to happen?

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 07:31:20 AM »
This can't possibly replace a full-fledged grocery store. Watch the video -- they claim the process takes about five minutes. The only way they could get away with this is if the selection is no more varied than a fast-food drive-thru menu. If not, shoppers would get bogged down choosing between 5 varieties of apples and 15 flavors of yogurt. Meanwhile, there's supposed to be a human cashier that is unable to serve any other customers while this is happening? :) Nah, I don't see it.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 08:07:02 AM »
The only use I could see is if you only needed to stop for 1 or 2 things; i.e. some tomatoes and a bag of carrots. Just wouldn't work for weekly grocery shopping.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 08:29:19 AM »
Didn't watch the video, but this seems miles behind Peapod which will either drop the groceries off for you or hold them at a pickup location for you to go and retrieve at your leisure, already all bagged and paid for. 

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 09:57:19 AM »
This can't possibly replace a full-fledged grocery store. Watch the video -- they claim the process takes about five minutes. The only way they could get away with this is if the selection is no more varied than a fast-food drive-thru menu. If not, shoppers would get bogged down choosing between 5 varieties of apples and 15 flavors of yogurt. Meanwhile, there's supposed to be a human cashier that is unable to serve any other customers while this is happening? :) Nah, I don't see it.

That was the glaring issue I saw.

This requires an obscene amount of employees to work. It's basically the opposite of automation. You've got cashiers that are just sitting there, and then an entire backend of people personally stocking "shelves" for a single customer. And then the system for removing exhaust just screams "overhead" to me.

Basically, this is something that will never happen. It would never be able to compete with a traditional grocery store.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 10:12:21 AM »
The only use I could see is if you only needed to stop for 1 or 2 things; i.e. some tomatoes and a bag of carrots. Just wouldn't work for weekly grocery shopping.

Where I grew up, there used to be a drive-through that sold cigarettes, beer, milk, girlie magazines, bread and eggs. My mother used to go there when we were kids because the milk was cheaper than anywhere else. You'd drive up to a covered carport and a clerk would be standing in the doorway and you'd give him your order and money and he'd fetch it and bring you change. I can't imagine it working for a real grocery shop.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 11:31:26 AM »

Where I grew up, there used to be a drive-through that sold cigarettes, beer, milk, girlie magazines, bread and eggs. My mother used to go there when we were kids because the milk was cheaper than anywhere else. You'd drive up to a covered carport and a clerk would be standing in the doorway and you'd give him your order and money and he'd fetch it and bring you change. I can't imagine it working for a real grocery shop.

You mean like online order pick up? Like this?
http://www.harristeeter.com/other/videos/videos.aspx?cat=1&vid=29
Seems to work fine, although I've never tried it. Thinking about doing it though.
It cost's $100/year. We shop once a week, taking almost an hour. So we'd pay $2 to reclaim an hour of our busy lives. Seems like decent deal.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 12:26:14 PM »

Seems to work fine, although I've never tried it. Thinking about doing it though.
It cost's $100/year. We shop once a week, taking almost an hour. So we'd pay $2 to reclaim an hour of our busy lives. Seems like decent deal.

Online pickup works because you shop in advance, and the grocery store worker loads the paid for sacks of groceries into your car when you drive up. The store we frequented as a kid was one where you drove up, gave your order to the employee, they went away and picked your order, you paid, put the stuff in your car, and drove off. I can't imagine that scaling up to a full size grocery store with all the attendant inventory.

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 12:28:42 AM »
This looks like something I would have described in first or second grade when they give you an assignment to come up with some kind of invention.

I watched the video and it made me laugh so hard. What an insanely stupid and nonviable idea.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 09:13:28 AM »
But combined with driverless cars - you could have your grocery shopping done for you and delivered to our house.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 09:24:06 AM »

That was the glaring issue I saw.

This requires an obscene amount of employees to work. It's basically the opposite of automation. You've got cashiers that are just sitting there, and then an entire backend of people personally stocking "shelves" for a single customer. And then the system for removing exhaust just screams "overhead" to me.

Basically, this is something that will never happen. It would never be able to compete with a traditional grocery store.
Actually you could automate a lot of the stocking.  In fact, the first thought I had when watching the people stocking the shelve was, "this would all be automated".  Amazon already does a lot of automation.  It would be about the same.  I've done some work with PLC's, and I can tell you, stocking shelves like that would be quite easy.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 10:35:11 AM »
But combined with driverless cars - you could have your grocery shopping done for you and delivered to our house.
But there are already services that do this for you using existing grocery stores - shipt just started in our area.

It doesn't appeal to me in general, but I can see using it if you're busy, have small kids, disabled, sick, or you just hate shopping. I used Harris Teeter's drive up option once when I was recovering from an illness (first one is free, I think).  On the plus side, they gave me free flowers.  On the downside, they messed up a few things (produce, mostly).

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 12:26:39 PM »
But there are already services that do this for you using existing grocery stores - shipt just started in our area.
But it's not just groceries. If you had drive through bookstores and driverless cars you could browse through books on your computer and have them delivered to your door !

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 12:56:58 PM »
But it's not just groceries. If you had drive through bookstores and driverless cars you could browse through books on your computer and have them delivered to your door !
You mean like Amazon? 

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 02:39:14 PM »
When did living become such a burden, and why does anything designed for lazy people get labeled futurism or futurology?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 03:30:57 PM »
This seems completely silly. Aren't we moving towards everything being ordered online and delivered to us? Home delivery is much easier for the busy, burdened with children, disabled, nondrivers, etc.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2016, 11:53:45 AM »
Lawdy.  I hate to see this day come because I love going to the grocery store.  I enjoy running into people I know.  I prefer to pick out my own produce (that's not already wrapped.)  The butchers at the meat counter are great to talk to and they always have good ideas for cooking stuff up -- especially when it's on special.  And the high school kids who take my groceries to the car are a kick to talk to.  It's fun to help them build their conversational skills and work ethic.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 12:49:52 PM »
This seems completely silly. Aren't we moving towards everything being ordered online and delivered to us? Home delivery is much easier for the busy, burdened with children, disabled, nondrivers, etc.

It is and it isn't.  My wife has us on Peapod and I am honestly not a huge fan, because rather than choosing an hour "at some point" during the weekend when it's convenient to go, I need to choose a 2 hour window a few days in advance to commit to staying home and waiting for the delivery.  Sometimes it's no big deal, but sometimes it's a giant pain in the ass.  Home delivery is great for stuff that can sit on my porch and wait for me, but I really don't want my food sitting for some undefined amount of time before I'm home to put it away.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 12:52:28 PM »

It is and it isn't.  My wife has us on Peapod and I am honestly not a huge fan, because rather than choosing an hour "at some point" during the weekend when it's convenient to go, I need to choose a 2 hour window a few days in advance to commit to staying home and waiting for the delivery.  Sometimes it's no big deal, but sometimes it's a giant pain in the ass.  Home delivery is great for stuff that can sit on my porch and wait for me, but I really don't want my food sitting for some undefined amount of time before I'm home to put it away.

Do you not have a butler who would meet the Peapod driver and put the groceries away for you?  ;-)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 12:55:38 PM »

Do you not have a butler who would meet the Peapod driver and put the groceries away for you?  ;-)

Clearly I'm only talking about when he is on vacation and his backup can't be bothered to stop cleaning the pool to get the man at the door.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 03:36:41 PM »

Clearly I'm only talking about when he is on vacation and his backup can't be bothered to stop cleaning the pool to get the man at the door.

Pea pod in this area does have an option to have your groceries delivered when you aren't home and left in cardboard coolers that they later pick up.

I get delivery from shop rite and have been doing it regularly enough that I can request a specific time in my delivery window and they make it happen. I love not going to the grocery store! So even if I had to hang around 2 hours at home (doing things I would way rather do) it would be fine with me.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 03:50:24 PM »

Pea pod in this area does have an option to have your groceries delivered when you aren't home and left in cardboard coolers that they later pick up.

We have that option too but my food sitting out doesn't sit well with me.

I get delivery from shop rite and have been doing it regularly enough that I can request a specific time in my delivery window and they make it happen. I love not going to the grocery store! So even if I had to hang around 2 hours at home (doing things I would way rather do) it would be fine with me.

The problem is the "hang around at home" thing.  More than a few times something comes up where I want to run an errand to the hardware store, go out for a pizza, whatever, and the stupid peapod guy is coming.  Doesn't help that my wife tends to schedule for when she thinks I will be around, not her, because she always books her weekends jam-packed and I try to keep mine as open as possible. 

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 04:47:01 PM »

It seems there is a business opportunity for an Uber like service where somebody can turn up at your door to meet the to-your-door delivery

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2016, 09:22:55 AM »

Okay, I didn't look at the video. I imagined the guy giving a grocery store employee his list and getting the groceries. Like a normal drive-through.

This isn't a drive-through, this is a ... driving store?

Good god.

Good god.

Good god.

As an aside, can you imagine how many car accidents, cars hitting shelves, and cars scraping shelves, are going to happen?

And overheated clutches...

Oh wait. Not many of us manual transmission drivers left... ;)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2016, 12:33:39 PM »

It seems there is a business opportunity for an Uber like service where somebody can turn up at your door to meet the to-your-door delivery

I think that is task rabbit....

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2016, 12:52:44 PM »

Online pickup works because you shop in advance, and the grocery store worker loads the paid for sacks of groceries into your car when you drive up. The store we frequented as a kid was one where you drove up, gave your order to the employee, they went away and picked your order, you paid, put the stuff in your car, and drove off. I can't imagine that scaling up to a full size grocery store with all the attendant inventory.

Yeah Walmart just started doing this near us. My wife loves it, especially with an infant. She just places her order at work, picks a pick-up time frame, drives to the store, and someone brings the groceries out and places them in the back.

mountains_o_mustaches

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2016, 10:06:58 AM »
Does no one else appreciate the irony that on the MMM forum in the Antimustachian Wall of Shame sub-forum, that this has devolved into a sharing of antimustachian ideas (e.g., having groceries delivered to your door, driving to not only get the groceries yourself, but have them pre-selected and placed in your car)?  Is it just me? I mean you do you - I know I sure as heck don't live 100% mustachian (neither does MMM), but I don't post those things here on a forum to get advice about mustachian ways...

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2016, 10:42:14 AM »
Does no one else appreciate the irony that on the MMM forum in the Antimustachian Wall of Shame sub-forum, that this has devolved into a sharing of antimustachian ideas (e.g., having groceries delivered to your door, driving to not only get the groceries yourself, but have them pre-selected and placed in your car)?  Is it just me? I mean you do you - I know I sure as heck don't live 100% mustachian (neither does MMM), but I don't post those things here on a forum to get advice about mustachian ways...

Of course, and this topic has been visited before. However, as noted, MMM isn't about never spending money on anything.  As  a single parent with an incredibly busy life it sometimes very worth a $10 delivery fee to have someone bring the groceries to me. The groceries are otherwise the same price in the store and for $10 I get a couple hours of my life back and an use my energy and time on some other pressing issue.

I think delivery was mentioned as an alternative to an utterly ridiculous drive-through grocery store.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2016, 06:51:12 AM »

No.  My wife just paid $60 to Peapod for unlimited deliveries for the next 6 months.  Given that we grocery shop at least 1x a week, that means it costs me $2.31/trip (assuming only 1x a week) to have my groceries delivered.  I'll probably save 2x that or more per trip in not buying other random crap while I'm there.  I'm not sure how anyone can tell me that's bad, my dislike of my wife's scheduling aside.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2016, 09:43:02 PM »

No.  My wife just paid $60 to Peapod for unlimited deliveries for the next 6 months.  Given that we grocery shop at least 1x a week, that means it costs me $2.31/trip (assuming only 1x a week) to have my groceries delivered.  I'll probably save 2x that or more per trip in not buying other random crap while I'm there.  I'm not sure how anyone can tell me that's bad, my dislike of my wife's scheduling aside.

That's what I was thinking about, it would help eliminate useless crap that somehow finds its way into my cart (I'm as shocked as anyone, you gotta believe me!). I don't think I'll use a delivery service, but out of curiosity, how do their grocery prices compare? When I buy avocados, I check them, are they good about quality?

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2016, 01:39:17 PM »
Yeah Walmart just started doing this near us. My wife loves it, especially with an infant. She just places her order at work, picks a pick-up time frame, drives to the store, and someone brings the groceries out and places them in the back.

We have it in our area and absolutely love the convenience of it.  The only thing I don't like about it is not being able to see the produce and select the items I want.  So far all the produce has been great quality though!  Plus it has significantly decreased our "impulse" buys.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2016, 02:26:48 PM »

That's what I was thinking about, it would help eliminate useless crap that somehow finds its way into my cart (I'm as shocked as anyone, you gotta believe me!). I don't think I'll use a delivery service, but out of curiosity, how do their grocery prices compare? When I buy avocados, I check them, are they good about quality?

I don't think I've had a complaint yet with their produce.  Grocery prices are give or take the same as our local store, but we don't shop at Aldi's, we use the chain Mariano's (might just be Chicagoland?  Dunno) which is about halfway between Aldi and Whole Foods.  Our groceries are pretty consistently $125-150/wk for a family of 3, no matter where we shop.  We don't make a lot of effort to save money on groceries, because frankly, if we plan to have crappy food we don't want to eat, we end up going out instead and spend a lot more money than if we just buy what we want to eat at home in the first place.