Author Topic: Drive 0.8 miles to work and pay $60 a month for parking  (Read 4524 times)

darkelenchus

• Bristles
  • True wealth comes from good health and wise ways.
Drive 0.8 miles to work and pay $60 a month for parking
« on: August 02, 2012, 08:51:37 AM »
So my wife noticed that our neighbor two doors down drives his semi-gas guzzling Chrysler 300 to and from work every day, which is 0.8 miles away, and parks it in a lot that charges $60 a month! He's paying at best around $400 a year for... what, exactly?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Drive 0.8 miles to work and pay $60 a month for parking
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:38:53 AM »
Easy answer. They're saving up for lipo and want to ensure they get their money's worth!

*rimshot*
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:46:08 AM by I.P. Daley »

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 10:41:14 AM »
Madness

darkelenchus

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 10:47:26 AM »
Easy answer. They're saving up for lipo and want to ensure they get their money's worth!

*rimshot*

lol that's the funny thing. The guy's actually pretty fit! Which means he's either got some damn good genes or he's spending even more money on home gym equipment or a gym membership. At any rate, even if his work has a free gym, he could get at least some cardio in traveling to and from work.

ShavinItForLater

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 01:13:27 AM »
Maybe he's always in a hurry to get to work.

Richard3

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:44:35 AM »
Pretty sure I'd back myself walking in a door to desk challenge over 0.8 miles. Maybe not, it depends on traffic and how quick the unparking / parking is at each end.

Does he use the car during the day at work or have possible emergencies where a car 0.8 miles away is no use?

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 08:59:21 AM »
O_o

I wish I lived that close to where I work! Jeez! I'd have to be sick or injured to drive to work from so close! Hell, when I was a school kid I was flabbergasted that I had to ride the bus to school because I lived across the street. Granted, it was a 4 lane road with a 45mph speed limit (people usually go 50-60). They used to pick me up first and drop me off last. A fuckin 45 minute bus ride to cross the fuckin street. Even as a first grader I thought that was retarded. Mom had them change it so I didn't have to ride for so long :)

darkelenchus

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:56:04 AM »
Does he use the car during the day at work or have possible emergencies where a car 0.8 miles away is no use?

No. The car sits in the lot all day long. My wife can see it from her office. It's just pure pathetic waste.

Maybe he's always in a hurry to get to work.

Yes, perhaps he hasn't realized it's all about the safety margin.