Author Topic: Don't forget to invest your tax refund!  (Read 6109 times)

littleone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Don't forget to invest your tax refund!
« on: April 15, 2014, 06:09:56 PM »
I like how they state you can invest in tech, comfort, relaxation, style...etc...

At least they talk about investing in your commute, but it is then backed by 9 other idiot investing ideas. Great way for people to think they are "investing" in their future by buying useless crap.

https://shopping.yahoo.com/news/10-alternative-ways-to-put-that-tax-money-to-good-use-182635189.html

Vitai Slade

• Stubble
Re: Don't forget to invest your tax refund!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 06:15:06 PM »
Hahahaha, this is fantastic. They don't quite understand the actual meaning of the word 'invest' do they?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 06:17:26 PM »
Already invested it! 950 powerball tickets baby! yeah!

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:54:46 PM »
One tagline I saw recently was for Otterbox iPhone cases... "Protect your investment!" they cry. Uh, sorry, but just because something is expensive does not make it an investment.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:27:09 PM »
The bicycle offer wasn't a bad idea. At least it wasn't a $500 trail bike that most people won't need.

FrenchyMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Frenchie Geek
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 04:09:40 AM »
I always knew buying a tv is one of the most rewarding investment, i can't wait to by myself a 50" and watch The Voice all day.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 06:21:40 AM »
My favorite was the investment in comfort (emphasis mine): "A luxury bathroom necessity, the LumaWarm is a heated toilet seat with a soothing LED nightlight..."

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 08:12:56 AM »
My favorite was the investment in comfort (emphasis mine): "A luxury bathroom necessity, the LumaWarm is a heated toilet seat with a soothing LED nightlight..."

Skymall has escaped!

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 11:32:23 AM »

I'm not too proud to admit that I've coveted a Neorest on more than one occasion. Yes, it costs more than my car, but I'd use it more and my car doesn't open the doors for me when I walk up to it.
https://www.totousa.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=411

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 01:00:58 PM »

I'm only interested if it also has a wine bidet.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 06:26:31 AM »
I can't remember the last time I had a refund.   Wish I could invest the $9000 we owe this year.

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 09:13:14 AM »
I invested my refund in "not going to jail" by paying the $831 that we owed the IRS :)

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 09:20:04 AM »
I feel like something is missing.... Was there anything on that list from Sharper Image?  I mean if I'm wasting cash on shit I don't need I really want to make sure I get it from a brand that will never be oversold.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »
I can't remember the last time I had a refund.   Wish I could invest the $9000 we owe this year.

Well...you did have $9,000 in your pocket for longer than you should have for most of the year. You could argue people who get refunds have given your tax authority and interest free loan.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 02:37:54 AM »

Skymall has escaped!

The Skymall magazine used to be a curiosity during a flight.  Since becoming a Mustachian it is now a source of comedy that there is a market for the crap they sell.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 07:29:51 AM »

Skymall has escaped!

The Skymall magazine used to be a curiosity during a flight.  Since becoming a Mustachian it is now a source of comedy that there is a market for the crap they sell.

Indeed.  I remember when I used to look through SkyMall and actually see some things in there that I might like to own.  Nowadays I flip through and can't find a single thing I'd get, even if they were having a 90% off sale.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 09:22:43 AM »
Even before caring/reading about FI/ERE/MMM/etc I still used to look at SkyMall and wonder who the fffck buys all this garbage? I guess enough people that I've never been on a flight without the magazine.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!