Author Topic: Don't FIRE! Something might happen!  (Read 4034 times)

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Don't FIRE! Something might happen!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 12:51:45 PM »
The impression I got from the article was that nobody profiled had actually FIRE'd, being that all were working and/or nowhere near financial independence.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 01:10:03 PM »
Something did happen to these people. And then they figured out how to deal with it. I don't think this is Shame and Comedy material to be honest.

William McVey is part of the crew at ChooseFI and he told his story on episode 108 of their podcast. It's a good story and I learned more about trusts for special needs children than I hope I will ever need.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 01:17:26 PM »
The impression I got from the article was that nobody profiled had actually FIRE'd, being that all were working and/or nowhere near financial independence.

That seems to be a theme. The only FI person in the article was there because of their spouse's life insurance. So life didn't get in the way of FIRE, it got in the way of... life?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 07:43:31 AM »
Do these article ever profile anyone who FIRE'd successfully? I guess if everyone were frugal, the potion of the economy that caters to frivolous spending would collapse. Can't have that. People would be riding bikes, growing food in their gardens and mending their clothes. The economy needs reckless spending. Or at least the advertisers do.

Don't read the comment section. Now there are some unhappy non-FIRE people.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:44:17 AM by Just Joe »

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 11:15:47 AM »
Do these article ever profile anyone who FIRE'd successfully? I guess if everyone were frugal, the potion of the economy that caters to frivolous spending would collapse. Can't have that. People would be riding bikes, growing food in their gardens and mending their clothes. The economy needs reckless spending. Or at least the advertisers do.

Don't read the comment section. Now there are some unhappy non-FIRE people.

Pretty frequently there is a major publication that does a profile of a blogger (MMM, GoCurryCracker, etc). These ones are generally positive.

The comments section, however, like you mentioned, is pretty horrific on these. Lots of naysayers.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 12:42:42 PM »
I didn’t open the article because I am sure I read it before. As I remember no one had enough money to start with and one family had huge medical bills due to cancer.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 06:09:36 PM »
Do you have a link to Reb’s article? Would love to see it.  They did a great job reaching fire fast on low salaries.