Author Topic: Don't Be Fooled by The Retirement Lie  (Read 22348 times)

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Don't Be Fooled by The Retirement Lie
« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2022, 09:48:04 PM »
Yeah, if you believe "dude" is truly gender neutral, ask a straight male dude how many dudes he's slept with. Then you'll find out just how not neutral "dude" actually is.
LOL true. In reality I generally use they/their/s unless I know the preferred gendered pronoun the person uses. Never had an issue with it myself but can see how it can be confusing.

"How many y'all's slept with?"
"How many you's have you slept with?"
"How many they's have you slept wiht?"

I think any pronoun in this sentence sounds weird, so putting dude in it doesn't really prove much.
Well, yes, pronouns are weird in that sentence. You couldn't ask "How many shes have you kissed" without the grammatical oddity calling attention, either.

"Dude," however, is generally a noun, & only extended to use as a pronoun in limited, colloquial circumstances, the same under which you'd see "bro," "man," or "girl" used as a pronoun - e.g. "Pull yourself together, man!" or "Girl, get out of here" operating in the same mode of direct address as "Dude, check out this car."

"Dude" as a countable noun is no more strange than other nouns in that query - its frequent distaff counterpart "chick," or on to "lady," "fella," "gal," "guy," "girl," "boy."

Whether dude is gendered or not, especially as a collective plural is regional & generational, if not even more specifically situational. My generation's media was filmed in (& idealized) southern California, so 'dudes' reads largely as gender-agnostic to me in the same way a mixed-gender collective in French is always "ils" - because personhood carries a notional default masculine gender in both those cultures. Once you raise the specificity of the context, however, such as by asking how many dudes a dude has slept with, that default masculinity can come to matter. (Or not, if they truly embrace dudehood as I learned it in my youth. Be excellent to each other.)

If you're not sure of reception with collective plural pronouns and don't have "y'all" or "yinz" in the local vernacular, it's pretty easy to substitute "Hi guys!" or "Hi dudes!" with "Hi everybody!"

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2022, 07:41:42 AM »
"How many you's have you slept with?" sounds the same as "How many ewes have you slept with?" which sounds like the start of a bad joke about someone from New Zealand...

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2022, 10:59:44 AM »
Yeah, if you believe "dude" is truly gender neutral, ask a straight male dude how many dudes he's slept with. Then you'll find out just how not neutral "dude" actually is.
LOL true. In reality I generally use they/their/s unless I know the preferred gendered pronoun the person uses. Never had an issue with it myself but can see how it can be confusing.

"How many y'all's slept with?"
"How many you's have you slept with?"
"How many they's have you slept wiht?"

I think any pronoun in this sentence sounds weird, so putting dude in it doesn't really prove much.

This isn't really a grammatically correct use of pronouns. "Dudes" is a generic gendered plural noun. For comparison, a gender-neutral plural noun would be appropriate: "How many people have you slept with?"

I think that some people make this more complicated than it needs to be.

shureShote

• Stubble
« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2022, 08:14:27 PM »
"How many you's have you slept with?" sounds the same as "How many ewes have you slept with?" which sounds like the start of a bad joke about someone from New Zealand...

Finally a post in this foam that makes sense!

I have lived in a lot of places, and have evolved to using “folks” as my go to. Still toss out some y'alls and guys here and there, but try to go with folks.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #154 on: May 03, 2022, 06:47:39 AM »

I have lived in a lot of places, and have evolved to using “folks” as my go to. Still toss out some y'alls and guys here and there, but try to go with folks.

Unfortunately, calling certain people “folks” will get you killed.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_Nation]many you's have you slept with?" sounds the same as "How many ewes have you slept with?" which sounds like the start of a bad joke about someone from New Zealand...
[/quote]

[/quote]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_Nation

shureShote

• Stubble
« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2022, 06:58:13 AM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_Nation

Better killed than canceled….

Edited to fix messed up tags
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 06:38:30 PM by shureShote »

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2022, 07:00:31 AM »
The wikipedia article you linked to describes two rival gang alliances, one called "Folk Nation" the other "People Nation".

Is it also your view that calling certain people "people" would get a person killed?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2022, 07:03:24 AM »

Better killed than canceled….
huh??