Author Topic: Does anyone else love consuming?  (Read 21224 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Does anyone else love consuming?
« on: March 05, 2017, 08:59:23 PM »
I know it sounds terrible, but I get a giddy sense of completion every time I finish off a pack of toilet paper, garbage bags, soap, or any other staple that I consider a necessary evil of modern society (usually purchased from costco).  Like yeah, I know we "don't really need toilet paper," but for some reason these consumer goods measure the passage of time in my life.  Likewise, for some reason I feel a nonsensical sense of accomplishment when I pay my mortgage, phone bill, or complete another year at work.  Every time I celebrate an anniversary at my job,  I should actually be sad that another year of my life has passed without living it to its fullest.  Instead, I get a type-A personality, gamified, sense that I've achieved some kind of merit badge for having simply lasted 5 years or whatever.

Now, this doesn't mean I purposely try to use more coffee filters in order to finish off my 400-filter pack.  But does anyone else get this feeling, or is it just me?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:12:16 PM by dragoncar »

Silverado

• Stubble
Re: Does anyoe else love consuming?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 09:10:33 PM »
Very interesting viewpoint.

I think I get some of that feeling. Sort of internal justification that I did in fact 'need' that item.

Finishing a bottle of glue is a recent one for me. I guess I did have some projects over the years.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 09:17:49 PM »
YES!!!! Lol, so much me too :)

Feels like passage, completion, closure...and also time/opportunity for a fresh start! It's why I don't like stockpiling. Finish off an item, feel so grateful for it in my life, enjoy 1-30 days without it (not toilet paper) and, with excitement, make a fresh purchase. Aaaaaahhhhh...  Each one of those phases such a delight!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 09:27:51 PM »
For us it's finishing off a rarely-used consumable like spices.  My mother had a bottle of vanilla that we used for baking. Apparently it was purchased while my father was in the Navy (early 70s) and we finished it sometime while I was in high school in the 90s.  In my household now we have a few items in the kitchen that don't quite have that longevity, but finally using them does mark months or a couple years.  This year we cracked open a set of sheets we received for our 2002 wedding.  I know there are folks here who say owning a printer is a waste of money unless you're using it consistently and earning some money through it, but I keep one around.  Late 2016 we replaced the ink which is becoming around an every 3 years event.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 04:51:22 AM »
While my household does not celebrate the "Changing of the Roll" holiday, I can relate to this feeling in one area - filling the tank on my motorcycle. Everytime I pop that gas cap I'm reminded that I just spent another 120 miles and a few hours of my life doing something that brings me great joy.

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 06:23:05 AM »
Well a certain degree of consumption should be satisfying without regret.  When I eat my chicken and vegetables I certainly don't feel guilty about it, nor do I wring my hands over turning on a lamp or using a stamp so I can write a check to pay one of my two remaining paper bills.

I do get a certain weird satisfaction using something up completely if it validates my planning/consumption expectations though.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 10:00:13 AM »
I'm having a difficult time coming up with an example of feeling good about using up a staple item. Restocking my household gives me good feelings though. I actually feel a bit euphoric when I drop off that 45-roll package of toilet paper from Sam's Club into the closet or when I replace the big jug of dishwashing liquid under the kitchen sink.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 10:04:41 AM »
I do too!
We even have a song.
"finished stuff, finished stuff, we just finished stuff yeah yeah yeah !" ( to the tune of Body talk by ONJ)
lol
we do.

I also like topping up little bottles from big bottles. eg- little spice jars on the rack topped up from a bulk packet. Camping soap topping up from a big one, etc etc.
Fun.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 10:06:27 AM by dandypandys »

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 10:14:37 AM »
I just finished off a pillowcase,I used it enough that it became threadbare and had a hole where my head rests. I felt strangely satisfied to use it up, it took several thousands of uses to wear out. I find pillowcases outlast sheets by a substantial margin, when they come in sets I end up with extra cases, in the dark I don't really care if my sheets match my pillows. I also used up Plastic Drinking glasses that developed cracks after 15 years, that was pretty entertaining to see them finally fail.

On the flip side I also love items that are very old in regular use. My coffee mug that's 15 years old and still going after gluing the handle back on brings me extra pleasure. I'm hoping it lasts 20 more years' how many thousands of coffees will I have enjoyed from it?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 10:23:05 AM »
I'm having a difficult time coming up with an example of feeling good about using up a staple item. Restocking my household gives me good feelings though. I actually feel a bit euphoric when I drop off that 45-roll package of toilet paper from Sam's Club into the closet or when I replace the big jug of dishwashing liquid under the kitchen sink.

very similar feelings IMO, maybe I'm merging them in my mind

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 10:34:29 AM »
I do find it very satisfying when I finish off the last of a giant garlic shaker from Costco, or that 60lb block of lamb hearts for the dogs, or that bottle of shampoo (even a normal-sized container of shampoo lasts me a hilariously long time due to being a 25 year old dude with a receding/ed hairline).

It must just be the tail end up the "stocking up" thought and making you feel justified in doing it in the first place.  The opposite feeling would be throwing away the last 1/3 of that giant bag of spinach you forgot about. :(

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 10:46:22 AM »
The opposite feeling would be throwing away the last 1/3 of that giant bag of spinach you forgot about. :(

I definitely have some things on a "I can't buy that because I never use it all" list.  Like those mini squash from Costco.  I'll buy them if I'm 100% sure I'll use them immediately, but they tend to go bad within 1-2 days.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 10:53:08 AM »
But it is exceedingly strange to take the last garbage bag out of the little cardboard box, and then throw the empty cardboard box into the garbage bag.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 10:55:25 AM »
Lol, OurTown!!  (Mine actually goes into the recycling bag, but I get your drift... a very absurd/ironic/funny thing!)

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 10:56:49 AM »
But it is exceedingly strange to take the last garbage bag out of the little cardboard box, and then throw the empty cardboard box into the garbage bag.

My community recycles. I get positive feelings from adding that box to the pile of cardboard!

prettypaperwork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 11:01:06 AM »
I know it sounds terrible, but I get a giddy sense of completion every time I finish off a pack of toilet paper, garbage bags, soap, or any other staple that I consider a necessary evil of modern society (usually purchased from costco).  Like yeah, I know we "don't really need toilet paper," but for some reason these consumer goods measure the passage of time in my life.  Likewise, for some reason I feel a nonsensical sense of accomplishment when I pay my mortgage, phone bill, or complete another year at work.  Every time I celebrate an anniversary at my job,  I should actually be sad that another year of my life has passed without living it to its fullest.  Instead, I get a type-A personality, gamified, sense that I've achieved some kind of merit badge for having simply lasted 5 years or whatever.

Now, this doesn't mean I purposely try to use more coffee filters in order to finish off my 400-filter pack.  But does anyone else get this feeling, or is it just me?

I disagree with you on the bill paying.  I think it makes a lot of sense to feel accomplished after paying bills.  For me, it reminds me that I am being financially responsible (kind of important to me), that I am fortunate enough to so on my own.  And I like the f--- you credit card company, you get no interest from me while you pay me to use the card thought I think when I pay my bill in full.  ;)

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 11:15:58 AM »
omg I thought I was the only one... HA! I love paying bills and entering expenses into YNAB for our budget. I feel so accomplished.

I really love finishing off leftovers in the fridge. Even (or, especially) if it's a begrudging, "I don't really want this leftover broccoli but darn it I paid for this" type finish.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 11:58:46 AM »
I love the feeling of throwing empty bags away or breaking down boxes.

Everything I buy has a purpose, and when the bag or box is thrown away, I know the purpose is now being realized.

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 03:29:15 PM »
My DW likes shredding paperwork, for example credit card offers, printouts of account statements, etc.  Her dad liked ripping things in half when he was done and throwing them away, in both cases, I think, it is a sense of "I'm DONE with this, I don't have to mess with it again." 

Unfortunately, she also tends to hoard things, because any time you start using something you MUST make sure it is replaced immediately to be absolutely, completely sure you don't run out.  Including things like a bottle of steak sauce, which we take 2-3 years to use up, sigh. . . :)

Kashmani

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 03:52:07 PM »
Life is like a game of Tetris. There is no finish to the game. The way to "win" it is to simply outlast those around you. Whether you measure the increments in seconds or in rolls of toilet paper doesn't matter. You are still pooping where others are not. And that matters.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 03:58:41 PM »
My DW likes shredding paperwork, for example credit card offers, printouts of account statements, etc.  Her dad liked ripping things in half when he was done and throwing them away, in both cases, I think, it is a sense of "I'm DONE with this, I don't have to mess with it again." 

Unfortunately, she also tends to hoard things, because any time you start using something you MUST make sure it is replaced immediately to be absolutely, completely sure you don't run out.  Including things like a bottle of steak sauce, which we take 2-3 years to use up, sigh. . . :)

My wife is quite nostalgic.  She used to keep boxes of paperwork containing her accomplishments in high school and college.  With the Army moving us every couple years, staying "light" was very useful.  Every move I was able to convince her to part with a little more of her "stuff" until we recovered whole shelves of space.  It's also a joy whenever I clear out sections of paperwork and bills and sit in front of the shredder for an hour.

dreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 04:08:32 PM »
I know it sounds terrible, but I get a giddy sense of completion every time I finish off a pack of toilet paper, garbage bags, soap, or any other staple that I consider a necessary evil of modern society (usually purchased from costco).  \

No, I really don't.  I just think:  How did *they go through it already???

*They = DH and 2 kids.  I swear they use it to dry off from a shower. 

I really love finishing off leftovers in the fridge. Even (or, especially) if it's a begrudging, "I don't really want this leftover broccoli but darn it I paid for this" type finish.

We like eating all leftovers too.  The saying in our house is we are "stretching our food dollar"

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 04:10:03 PM »
Oh yes! Shredding is the very best part! I have one filing crate of journals, notes, book ideas, etc, I hope I release one day. In the meantime, this feels like a delightfully managed amount remaining and I quickly shred almost everything new that comes in.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 07:32:16 PM »
Oh, yesyesyes!  My mom trained me to use up everything!  Financially we don't need to any more, but I still get this little happy sense from using something up down to the last little bit and tossing it.

Except the toilet paper.  I don't know how, with 4 people in this house, the roll somehow magically runs out *exactly* when I need to go to the bathroom.  I am so. fucking. tired. of changing that damn roll.

seathink

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 11:17:48 AM »
Kind of relevant: I love most the period when I am transitioning from one composition book to the next, new composition book. There is a few days/week span where I have both with me and I wonder if this will be the day I finish the one and bleed into the next. I’m always excited to end a book and start another with the same ideas and thoughts transitioning through.

Then there's the joy of dating the spine and putting it on the library shelf. Another book of thoughts entered into the annuals of Time. It makes me so happy.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 02:30:33 PM »
I hate using stuff up. especially in my craft supplies I have hoarding tendencies. 
It is very hard for me to convince myself that it makes no sense to HAVE it and not use it, because I tend to think "but what if I run out and need it?"

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 06:29:35 PM »
I hate using stuff up. especially in my craft supplies I have hoarding tendencies. 
It is very hard for me to convince myself that it makes no sense to HAVE it and not use it, because I tend to think "but what if I run out and need it?"

Well, yeah, I hoard too.  If it is something that was unique or are to find (like a gift of fancy jam), I have been known to hoard for so long that it goes bad.

I cannot make sense of the dichotomy between the joy of using up generic/replaceable stuff and the complete inability to even open special treats.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: Does anyone else love consuming?
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 06:32:05 PM »
I like to watch fire burn.

Does that count?

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 08:17:48 PM »
I feel like I'm reading about some strange alien culture right now.

I understand using 100% of something, rather than wasting it. I don't understand being happy about running out of staple items. When I run out I think, "crap, now I need more of this, and I HATE shopping!"

Now I do like paying my mortgage. Debt going down = net worth going up. That's financial though.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »
I get joy out of using up something that I would typically lose before it ran out:
*  pens
*  lighters (from the smoker days...)
*  sunglasses (never worn a pair out!)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 09:14:25 PM »

Does that count?

I love pulmonary tuberculosis.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 09:19:44 PM »

Does that count?

Receiving or inflicting?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 09:26:16 PM »

Does that count?

Receiving or inflicting?

Just consumption in general

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2017, 09:29:45 PM »
Oh, yesyesyes!  My mom trained me to use up everything!  Financially we don't need to any more, but I still get this little happy sense from using something up down to the last little bit and tossing it.

Except the toilet paper.  I don't know how, with 4 people in this house, the roll somehow magically runs out *exactly* when I need to go to the bathroom.  I am so. fucking. tired. of changing that damn roll.

I got one of those toilet paper towers that holds like 3 rolls (well, 4 with one balanced on top), and just top it off every time I clean the bathroom, so I'm never caught sans TP.  More mustachian solution:  keep 3-4 rolls on the handle of the plunger next to the toilet.

When things take forever to use up, I do take pleasure in finishing off the last bit.  Usually involves CostCo sizes of things.  Most recently, a box of dryer sheets that I swear lasted 5 years, and a big ass bottle of dish soap.  I was excited about giving up on dryer sheets, but DH wanted more, so they were replaced, reducing some of my glee of finishing previous box.  Now it will be another four years...

I also like it when finishing something means I can consolidate and reduce clutter (e.g. get down to one bottle of shampoo instead of two partially used).

prettypaperwork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2017, 06:49:37 AM »

Well, yeah, I hoard too.  If it is something that was unique or are to find (like a gift of fancy jam), I have been known to hoard for so long that it goes bad.

I cannot make sense of the dichotomy between the joy of using up generic/replaceable stuff and the complete inability to even open special treats.

I can relate.  Some years, Girl Scout cookie sale time rolls around and I still have Girl Scout cookies from the year before.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2017, 07:27:41 AM »
Do making good use of a tool (that isn't consumed by its usage) count? Prob not.

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 09:14:59 AM »
Lately, yes. We got into a period where we were heavy into stockpiling and couponing. As a result, we crammed the pantry and supply cabinets full to overflowing. Well, turns out that for us, that wasn't a lifestyle that saved us money. And the stress of dealing with it wasn't fun. And when coupons got so devalued and so many stores stopped taking them/giving good deals around here, it definitely wasn't worth it. So now we're working through all that stuff and every time we use something and little space appears in the cabinet, I get excited.

We're also working on using other things like craft supplies, working through unread books/movies (and donating the ones we don't want to keep), and generally using up the excess in all areas of our lives that every time something gets finished and donated (if we decide we don't want to keep it), I'm thrilled.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 09:17:13 AM »
I get a great deal of satisfaction from making a meal where I use up various things and chucking the bottles and cans and bags into the recycle bin.  Cleaner cabinets, tasty meal!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2017, 10:21:21 AM »
I enjoy seeing skin stuff used up.  Stuff like body lotion, facial moisturizer for example.  In my distant past, I used to have lots of partially used bottles of stuff like this kicking around and shoved to the back of the bathroom cupboard.   So when I see something used up, i know I did not waste money on it. 

Of course, I am not thrilled when I need to go and buy a new one.  Usually use gift cards for the more spendy stuff anyway. 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2017, 10:27:22 AM »
I enjoy seeing skin stuff used up.  Stuff like body lotion, facial moisturizer for example.  In my distant past, I used to have lots of partially used bottles of stuff like this kicking around and shoved to the back of the bathroom cupboard.   So when I see something used up, i know I did not waste money on it. 

Of course, I am not thrilled when I need to go and buy a new one.  Usually use gift cards for the more spendy stuff anyway.
Gah, my GF's sister was like this when we lived with her, but with shampoo.  She'd use about 20% of one, get bored and buy a new one that smelled slightly different.  Upside: never had to buy any shampoo when we lived with her.  Downside: shampoo bottles all over the bathroom, everywhere.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2017, 07:14:35 PM »
While my household does not celebrate the "Changing of the Roll" holiday, I can relate to this feeling in one area - filling the tank on my motorcycle. Everytime I pop that gas cap I'm reminded that I just spent another 120 miles and a few hours of my life doing something that brings me great joy.

Yeah, I love this as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen nearly often enough.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2017, 10:21:12 PM »
Reminds me of somebody I read about who would write a resolution in their q-tip box that they would try to meet by the time they finished it.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2017, 12:01:58 AM »
I must thank you: today it occurred to me to get rid of some of the mini-spools of thread I've accumulated. There's not enough on any of them to make an entire sewing project, but the spools and leftover bits are taking up space.

So I'm working on a scrap quilt, and it doesn't matter what color thread I use while piecing the bits and pieces together. I've therefore been blowing through the mini-spools and leftover ends. Thanks to you, I've had the minor thrill of finishing off several small spools and bobbins. It's been quite cathartic and has freed up space in my thread box.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2017, 02:53:56 AM »
I passionately love it when clothes get worn out. It feels like a huge accomplishment to have worn something out so completely that it's not worth mending any more. It feels like I'm living my life right.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2017, 07:43:09 AM »
I passionately love it when clothes get worn out. It feels like a huge accomplishment to have worn something out so completely that it's not worth mending any more. It feels like I'm living my life right.
I'm like this too.  I'm wearing right now a pair of jeans that are 99% of the way to "worn out" (which really just means they'll look ratty enough to not wear to work and get demoted to lawn work or oil change jeans).  I guess that's what happens when they've been my "everyday" (most days) jeans for multiple years, and my half-time jeans for a few years before that (before my last pair wore out).

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2017, 07:48:46 AM »
Reminds me of somebody I read about who would write a resolution in their q-tip box that they would try to meet by the time they finished it.

Last summer we accidentally bought a second large pack of q-tips.  I think it came out to 1500 total.  It'll be a quite a day when we finally run out.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2017, 04:05:47 PM »

Last summer we accidentally bought a second large pack of q-tips.  I think it came out to 1500 total.  It'll be a quite a day when we finally run out.

I just bought my second round of the giant q-tip package from Costco. I think it's the first one since my husband and I moved in together 10 years ago.

Any time I get to the end of my paper supplies, I'm somewhat baffled. We buy paper towels about every 2 years and toilet paper every 6 months up to maybe a year. It makes that stuff feel unlimited and throws me off when I have to buy it again.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2017, 04:21:35 PM »
Well of course those are all great feelings. They are the opposite of waste. Eating down my freezer and pantry instead of heading to the store are subsets of these feelings. The joy of making meals for an entire week out of pantry/freezer food and never going to the store...subbing ingredients like a boss, getting creative with leftovers...this is all Mustachianism at its finest, no? Or what we used to call thrift/frugality, right? Waste not, want not?

Mrs3F

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2017, 06:49:12 PM »

I love this idea, and am totally going to steal it.

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2017, 08:29:43 PM »
Yes, love to use the last of something (especially if I made it last a lot longer than I thought it would - like I'm at the tail end of a bottle of shampoo that I thought would run out this week but now I'm thinking it'll be next week and maybe even the week after when I add some water and get the VERY end). 

But I also love the abundant feeling of opening that new/heavy/full bottle of shampoo and starting over again.  It makes me feel so rich.  Same with eating the last of the food in the fridge and seeing it nearly empty and spacious, going shopping, and then opening the fridge to see it all full of fresh food, ready to make yummy things.

Both of those extremes are satisfying.  It's the middle of the road that is tough for me to get excited about.  Half a roll of toilet paper, half a fridge of food, half a bar of soap.

Oh and I don't actually want to NOT have more in reserve.  Using the last of a tube of toothpaste without having another one in the drawer would stress me out.  (Worse with tp, obviously.)