Author Topic: Does anyone else consistently buy ill-fitting shoes?  (Read 8635 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Does anyone else consistently buy ill-fitting shoes?
« on: June 06, 2016, 12:28:25 PM »
I buy them too big. Or too small. Or they pinch my toes. Or they fall apart.

I am having such drama with shoes right now! Anyone else have this problem? It's a huge waste of money! Hence me putting it here on the wall of shame. :(

ariapluscat

• Bristles
Re: Does anyone else consistently buy ill-fitting shoes?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 12:50:54 PM »
Not quite the same as buying ill fitted shoes...More like, fit to one season, but not others
I buy shoes for winter knowing I will be wearing large fuzzy socks. So I buy a tiny bit larger than my actual foot size to accommodate. Then when I try to wear the shoes in the early summer or fall, I end up with slipping and sliding too large shoes with my thinner socks. I just hate it.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 12:55:17 PM »
I have foot problems so good shoes are important to me. I buy expensive ones but less of them. And none (well rarely) because they look good or are fashionable. The only thing I bought recently on my trip to Edmonton were expensive black office shoes from a boutique footwear store, as Yellowknife only has 3 or so options for shoes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 12:59:49 PM »
Stop buying shoes that don't fit?

Keep your eyes closed when trying on footwear (this way you don't decide that something fits because it looks nice).  Buy shoes that are close fitting all the way around your foot, but not tight.  You should not feel the tip of the shoe with your toe when walking around and you should not feel your heel lift out of the cup at the back.  Buy shoes with laces if possible.  As long as you do this, you can change the way that they're laced to tighten the sides a bit or loosen them up a bit to perfectly conform to your foot.

Boots can be a little trickier, as they tend to loosen up and mold to your feet over time, but the same general principal still applies.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »
I'm so picky about shoes that I've spent two hours in a shoe store and walked out without any shoes. I can't imagine wearing shoes that aren't comfortable.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 01:53:10 PM »
I'm so picky about shoes that I've spent two hours in a shoe store and walked out without any shoes. I can't imagine wearing shoes that aren't comfortable.

I'm worse than that.  When I bought new hiking shoes last year I probably ordered 8 different pair off the internet, two sizes each time.  I would walk 2-3 miles on the treadmill in each pair and then send them back if they didn't feel perfect.  It took a LONG time to find the right pair (naturally they were discontinued almost immediately after that).

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 02:21:21 PM »
Yes, but not knowingly. I don't have a car and walk EVERYWHERE so comfort is key. Sometimes I'll try on shoes in a store (yes, at the end of the day when my feet are more swollen and tired, like you're supposed to) and they feel fine. But after hours of walking they're starting to hurt or pinch or cause blisters.

I'm vegetarian and don't wear animals, so this further limits my options since I'm avoiding leather. And even old-standby shoes sometimes fail me! I found a style of sandals that were very comfortable and fit perfectly, so I bought multiples when they were on sale (as I wear through shoes quickly due to walking everywhere on city sidewalks). I've been wearing them for the past week, as it is finally warm here, and they are absolutely killing me. Like, sore-muscle pain along the tops of my feet. I've no idea why - aging? Some foot issue? I switched shoes today and I'm fine so it's clearly the sandals. So now I get to go play summer-shoe-roulette again. Ugh. :(

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 02:24:24 PM »
Stop buying shoes that don't fit?

Keep your eyes closed when trying on footwear (this way you don't decide that something fits because it looks nice).  Buy shoes that are close fitting all the way around your foot, but not tight.  You should not feel the tip of the shoe with your toe when walking around and you should not feel your heel lift out of the cup at the back.  Buy shoes with laces if possible.  As long as you do this, you can change the way that they're laced to tighten the sides a bit or loosen them up a bit to perfectly conform to your foot.

Boots can be a little trickier, as they tend to loosen up and mold to your feet over time, but the same general principal still applies.

That is a really good tip about the laces!! Explains why my fave pair of shoes fits so well :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 02:25:45 PM »
Yes, but not knowingly. I don't have a car and walk EVERYWHERE so comfort is key. Sometimes I'll try on shoes in a store (yes, at the end of the day when my feet are more swollen and tired, like you're supposed to) and they feel fine. But after hours of walking they're starting to hurt or pinch or cause blisters.

I'm vegetarian and don't wear animals, so this further limits my options since I'm avoiding leather. And even old-standby shoes sometimes fail me! I found a style of sandals that were very comfortable and fit perfectly, so I bought multiples when they were on sale (as I wear through shoes quickly due to walking everywhere on city sidewalks). I've been wearing them for the past week, as it is finally warm here, and they are absolutely killing me. Like, sore-muscle pain along the tops of my feet. I've no idea why - aging? Some foot issue? I switched shoes today and I'm fine so it's clearly the sandals. So now I get to go play summer-shoe-roulette again. Ugh. :(

I know what it's like to be in your shoes! ;) LOL horrible pun but you've just described my life. Also I hear you're doing jewellery design so we might be the same person! Haha just kidding.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 04:26:17 PM »
Shoes may not be buy-it-for-life, but can at least be buy-it-for-a-long-bloody-time, depending on what you need to own (can you live in a pair of shoes? Do you need heels? Work boots? Are you spending for fashion or function, and would you be willing to pay for both?)

I only really need one pair - but I walk a ton, wear an odd size and have a hard time finding anything that fits. A small fortune on custom leather flats later, I have one pair I plan to wear for pretty much everything shy of eveningwear for at least the next decade. My feet don't hurt anymore and I couldn't be happier about it. They're a few years old now, gloriously comfortable, near-weatherproof and still draw compliments almost every time I go out. Materials and workmanship make the difference; most modern shoes are MEANT to fall apart after a year because they expect you're wearing a different pair every day and want to replace them once they're out of style.

(If vegetarian, to each their own, but I'd rather buy the hide off a beef cow once every couple of decades than support the use of petroleum for 'vegan' leather or other synthetic materials every two years - the alternative is mostly natural fiber and rubber, which is increasingly rare to find without synthetics but does exist if they work for you.)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 04:41:11 PM »
Shoes may not be buy-it-for-life, but can at least be buy-it-for-a-long-bloody-time, depending on what you need to own (can you live in a pair of shoes? Do you need heels? Work boots? Are you spending for fashion or function, and would you be willing to pay for both?)

I only really need one pair - but I walk a ton, wear an odd size and have a hard time finding anything that fits. A small fortune on custom leather flats later, I have one pair I plan to wear for pretty much everything shy of eveningwear for at least the next decade. My feet don't hurt anymore and I couldn't be happier about it. They're a few years old now, gloriously comfortable, near-weatherproof and still draw compliments almost every time I go out. Materials and workmanship make the difference; most modern shoes are MEANT to fall apart after a year because they expect you're wearing a different pair every day and want to replace them once they're out of style.

(If vegetarian, to each their own, but I'd rather buy the hide off a beef cow once every couple of decades than support the use of petroleum for 'vegan' leather or other synthetic materials every two years - the alternative is mostly natural fiber and rubber, which is increasingly rare to find without synthetics but does exist if they work for you.)

Can I ask what magical brand ended up working for you? My feet are my main vehicle for commuting, so having bad shoes is the bane of my existence :/

I have a pair of frye boots that feels amazing, but it's summer now and ok trying to find some flats that work and it has been a frustrating and expensive lesson in futility.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 05:01:43 PM »
For summer, I find that canvas shoes have a lot of give and adapt to the feet after a few days. I buy mine at Walmart; they look like Tom's but cost $10.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 05:24:14 PM »
For summer, I find that canvas shoes have a lot of give and adapt to the feet after a few days. I buy mine at Walmart; they look like Tom's but cost $10.

Great tip! $10 is a trial cost I can live with :)

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 06:33:21 PM »

+1 my Tom's knockoffs are from Bob's Stores and they are super comf.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 06:42:37 PM »
Sadly, yes, I do buy ill-fitting shoes - maybe not consistently, but often enough that it bothers me. My issue is, as another poster mentioned, finding the shoes comfy when I try them on and then OMG NOT COMFY when I actually try to wear them for a few hours.

What has helped me:

Learning which styles are easier on my feet e.g. if I'm buying flats, real leather just doesn't work for my feet - I'm better off getting softer non-leather flats from Target or similar. Mary Janes are easier on my feet than flats or other 'feminine' shoe styles.

Understanding that some styles of women's shoes are simply NOT made for walking. Most shoes that are appropriate to wear in the office (for me, this means flats because I'm not a heels kinda girl) are sadly not also appropriate to wear on the 4km walk home. So, I wear sneakers for my walk and switch to cute flats at the office. This also lowers the overall cost of your shoes, as you're not causing much wear at all to the pair you wear at work (could be different for you, lifejoy, as I know you're on your feet a lot more than I am!). I have Merrell mary janes which are good for walking and look nice with smart casual clothes, which I can wear on my days off for example if I'm going to walk to a coffee shop to meet a friend.

Understanding that my feet won't ever be happy with wearing the same shoes for days at a time. Even the best shoes will make them hurt after a few days of consecutive wear. So, I switch it up a bit. This requires you to own a few more pairs, but you'll take longer to wear them out. Switching between different pairs for my commute versus office outfit helps with this too. Shoes will also wear better if you let them rest, so you'll find that your shoes are happier if they're getting days off, too (this is a 'thing' with natural materials, can't guarantee that it's the same for plastic shoes).

Foundation garments for my feet (yes, really). I wear injinji toe socks under my tights (they're not visible through black tights) and that helps keep my feet comfy. Also, I'm much more likely to have issues with any shoes if I'm trying to wear them without socks and/or tights, so layering up helps make uncomfy shoes comfy again. This is especially important when wearing shoes in / stretching them out.

Last but not least - have friends with similar sized feet so that if you end up not wearing a certain pair, you can pass it on to someone who will love it :-)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 09:50:19 PM »
Sadly, yes, I do buy ill-fitting shoes - maybe not consistently, but often enough that it bothers me. My issue is, as another poster mentioned, finding the shoes comfy when I try them on and then OMG NOT COMFY when I actually try to wear them for a few hours.

What has helped me:

Learning which styles are easier on my feet e.g. if I'm buying flats, real leather just doesn't work for my feet - I'm better off getting softer non-leather flats from Target or similar. Mary Janes are easier on my feet than flats or other 'feminine' shoe styles.

Understanding that some styles of women's shoes are simply NOT made for walking. Most shoes that are appropriate to wear in the office (for me, this means flats because I'm not a heels kinda girl) are sadly not also appropriate to wear on the 4km walk home. So, I wear sneakers for my walk and switch to cute flats at the office. This also lowers the overall cost of your shoes, as you're not causing much wear at all to the pair you wear at work (could be different for you, lifejoy, as I know you're on your feet a lot more than I am!). I have Merrell mary janes which are good for walking and look nice with smart casual clothes, which I can wear on my days off for example if I'm going to walk to a coffee shop to meet a friend.

Understanding that my feet won't ever be happy with wearing the same shoes for days at a time. Even the best shoes will make them hurt after a few days of consecutive wear. So, I switch it up a bit. This requires you to own a few more pairs, but you'll take longer to wear them out. Switching between different pairs for my commute versus office outfit helps with this too. Shoes will also wear better if you let them rest, so you'll find that your shoes are happier if they're getting days off, too (this is a 'thing' with natural materials, can't guarantee that it's the same for plastic shoes).

Foundation garments for my feet (yes, really). I wear injinji toe socks under my tights (they're not visible through black tights) and that helps keep my feet comfy. Also, I'm much more likely to have issues with any shoes if I'm trying to wear them without socks and/or tights, so layering up helps make uncomfy shoes comfy again. This is especially important when wearing shoes in / stretching them out.

Last but not least - have friends with similar sized feet so that if you end up not wearing a certain pair, you can pass it on to someone who will love it :-)

Ahh so much great advice!!! Thank you!

I own two pairs of running shoes that I never use. I might just give that a try though!

Really good tips. Thank you!

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 07:43:09 AM »
Maybe you should go shoe shopping at the end of the day so that your feet are already swelled up from walking all day.

briesas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2016, 08:58:40 AM »
I have super supinated feet, and pretty thick custom orthotics to correct it. Got them in 2016 after about two years of
alternating ankle and knee pain, and not being able to walk down the left side of the street! Seriously, the slant on the sidewalk on that side would make me fall over!

So I now get fitted by a certified pedorthist at a nice shoe store in town. I only have four pair of shoes but they were $150 (sneakers), $160 (waterproof Dansko's  with rubber soles for my second job), $275 (Finn Comfort sandals for work over the summer which go with skirts and capris ) and $350 (Finn comfort shoes for winter slacks)

The price tag is non mustachian on the surface, but I expect the two higher end shoes to last me a decade, as long as a I care for them. And being able to walk again without pain? Absolutely worth it. And yep, I'm fitted at the end of the day. I'm surprised by how often I have to buy shoes bigger than I would expect to, even with the orthotics. The store I go to carries plenty of $80-100 shoes, and you can still get fitted for these.  by one of their pedorthists even without my type of problems.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:01:08 AM by briesas »

crispy

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 09:02:57 AM »
I am a trainer so I am on my feet a lot, but I also have to look professional so I need nice shoes. I am a big fan of Anne Klein Sport shoes.  They look nice and professional, they are reasonably priced, and they are super comfortable.  I can walk in them all day with no issues.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 01:11:16 PM »
I discovered ECCO about 20 years ago. Other than athletic shoes, it's all I buy. I wish I had discovered them much earlier, especially during my Catholic school years when it seemed like I always had ill-fitting, uncomfortable shoes.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 02:06:34 PM »
I have super supinated feet, and pretty thick custom orthotics to correct it. Got them in 2016 after about two years of
alternating ankle and knee pain, and not being able to walk down the left side of the street! Seriously, the slant on the sidewalk on that side would make me fall over!

So I now get fitted by a certified pedorthist at a nice shoe store in town. I only have four pair of shoes but they were $150 (sneakers), $160 (waterproof Dansko's  with rubber soles for my second job), $275 (Finn Comfort sandals for work over the summer which go with skirts and capris ) and $350 (Finn comfort shoes for winter slacks)

The price tag is non mustachian on the surface, but I expect the two higher end shoes to last me a decade, as long as a I care for them. And being able to walk again without pain? Absolutely worth it. And yep, I'm fitted at the end of the day. I'm surprised by how often I have to buy shoes bigger than I would expect to, even with the orthotics. The store I go to carries plenty of $80-100 shoes, and you can still get fitted for these.  by one of their pedorthists even without my type of problems.

Dansko shoes cured my mom's plantar fasciitis! :)

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 03:16:43 PM »
I buy shoes almost exclusively from places with an excellent satisfaction-based return policy (Zappos usually, sometimes REI for hiking boots/camp shoes). On the one hand, about 50% of what I buy gets returned. I'll walk around in them for a couple of days (clean places), and if the shoes aren't completely perfect, back they go. But, they get 100% of my business, so I figure they are ok with the trade-off - otherwise their return policy wouldn't be so generous.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 11:37:08 AM »
NOPE!!!!!

I will not cheap out on shoes.  I only have one pair of feet.

I will use cheap almost everything else (except toilet paper) but I buy shoes that fit or I don't buy them.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2016, 04:07:44 PM »
NOPE!!!!!

I will use cheap almost everything else (except toilet paper) but I buy shoes that fit or I don't buy them.

Which brands?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2016, 05:38:45 PM »
I have low arches, and most women's shoes have high arches.  I go at the end of the day, and just stand there for 5-10 minutes - if I feel the shoe arch digging into my arch I know those shoes aren't for me.  When I can find a good style, men's shoes are more comfortable, I just have to lace them tight since they are usually a bit wide.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2016, 05:51:37 PM »

Can I ask what magical brand ended up working for you? My feet are my main vehicle for commuting, so having bad shoes is the bane of my existence :/

I have a pair of frye boots that feels amazing, but it's summer now and ok trying to find some flats that work and it has been a frustrating and expensive lesson in futility.

If you walk commute to work, but want to wear cute/trendy flats while actually at work, I recommend using two pairs of shoes each day. For walking and general life comfort, I live in my Birkenstocks if it's sandal weather, and my running shoes if not (I like Brooks, but everybody's feet are different). When I used to walk to work, I'd walk in Birks or running shoes and then change into whatever cute flats were cheap at target. When I need to look very polished at work (not sure you ever get to suit-level of formality), I wear black pumps. I really love my Cole Haan Nike Air pumps. They were very expensive (more than $200), but they are extremely comfortable, I can wear them all day, and they have held up for years.

I am still looking for work flats that are as comfortable as my walking shoes, but since I spend most of my workday sitting at my desk, I haven't spent a ton of time looking.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2016, 07:58:04 PM »
I buy casual shoes from the thrift store. They fit fine but I often find hidden damage or a liner seam that rubs and learn too late why new looking shoes are at the thrift store.

Happened at least 4 times now. I need to learn but am tempted by $8 shoes and retail is SO expensive.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 12:38:27 AM »
I have foot problems so good shoes are important to me. I buy expensive ones but less of them. And none (well rarely) because they look good or are fashionable. The only thing I bought recently on my trip to Edmonton were expensive black office shoes from a boutique footwear store, as Yellowknife only has 3 or so options for shoes.

Sorry, I'm smiling thinking that someone has to dress up to go to Canada. :D

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 06:18:27 AM »
NOPE!!!!!

Which brands?

Of shoes or toilet paper?

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 06:56:17 AM »
I have SUCH trouble finding shoes.  I wear a women's 10.5--and half-sizes seem to be standard for most makers' offerings UP TO SIZE 10, after which it's only in whole-number sizes (i.e., it goes from 10 to 11 to 12 without half-sizes in between).  Real honest-to-goodness 10.5's are scarcer than hens' teeth, especially if you're looking for a bargain on sale/on clearance/at Marshall's/etc. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2016, 07:42:19 AM »
I have a hell of a time finding shoes that fit, but I won't buy ones that don't. I got hand-me downs from a neighbor's kid while I'm trying to find something that works for me.

FIREdancer

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2016, 08:09:57 AM »
Ugh, I hate buying shoes because I have foot problems, and it is always difficult to find "work acceptable" shoes that do not exacerbate my foot problems.  I would spend lots of money for expensive shoes that were supposed to be good for your feet, but I ended up not being able to wear them because they would hurt my feet.  Finally, I said screw "work shoes," and now I just wear tennis shoes.  I've found some slip on black Sketchers that look less like tennis shoes so they are somewhat more work acceptable.

One more reason to look forward to financial independence, so my footwear is not dependent on a job.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2016, 08:33:21 AM »
I have SUCH trouble finding shoes.  I wear a women's 10.5--and half-sizes seem to be standard for most makers' offerings UP TO SIZE 10, after which it's only in whole-number sizes (i.e., it goes from 10 to 11 to 12 without half-sizes in between).  Real honest-to-goodness 10.5's are scarcer than hens' teeth, especially if you're looking for a bargain on sale/on clearance/at Marshall's/etc.
So much this.  This is why for sports and walking shoes I head for the men's department - 8.5 is a common size.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2016, 09:23:07 AM »
Sorry, not buying it. Changing to better fitting shoes, massage, stretching and time were probably more important than the brand of shoe.

I've had PF and Dansko shoes fall off my skinny feet. If you have PF, don't run out and buy this brand in particular. Do all the things, but don't expect a miracle cure from just a brand of shoe.

Years ago, when Dansko first became a "thing", I found scores of them at the Nordstrom Last Chance store in Phoenix. That's where they send the shoes they take back after people have worn and returned them.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2016, 12:45:56 AM »
Sorry, not buying it. Changing to better fitting shoes, massage, stretching and time were probably more important than the brand of shoe.

I've had PF and Dansko shoes fall off my skinny feet. If you have PF, don't run out and buy this brand in particular. Do all the things, but don't expect a miracle cure from just a brand of shoe.

Years ago, when Dansko first became a "thing", I found scores of them at the Nordstrom Last Chance store in Phoenix. That's where they send the shoes they take back after people have worn and returned them.

Next time I'll add "ymmv". My mom doesn't have skinny fit and swears by dansko. Not saying it will work for everyone, so I'm glad you posted to make that distinction!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2016, 01:05:55 AM »
I need really good arch support or else my PF flares up, so I love

1) Chacos sandals. Not super cute, but not super ugly either, and my feet feel so good in them that I wouldn't care even if they were super ugly

2) Earth shoes, specifically the Solar Mary Jane. Just wore these for 12 days straight on my feet all day at a trade show and they did me right.

3) Dansko sandals (not the clogs). Nice arch support and suede-y footbed.

I still don't have a fantastic solution for fall/winter. Normally I get some sort of lace-up boot and stick a Spenco insole in them which gets me by but is not awesome.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2016, 04:33:33 PM »
I can't ever remember what size I am in all the different country sizes. Most of our shoes come with UK, US, EU sizes listed on the label.

It can be confusing...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2016, 04:55:13 PM »

Next time I'll add "ymmv". My mom doesn't have skinny fit and swears by dansko. Not saying it will work for everyone, so I'm glad you posted to make that distinction!
Whoops! I just re-read my post and oh boy, does it sound cranky. Oh yeah, I must have been flashing back on how much PF @#$%& hurt. Soooo glad it's gone. Sorry LJ, glad your mom's feeling better, too.

When I was struggling with PF, I think I would have tried any brand of shoes anyone suggested. I mostly chimed in to keep anyone else iwith PF from thinking that there was one miracle solution. Do everything, including wearing only shoes that fit well. And try to be patient. Time is a great and mustachian PF healer.

nazar

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2016, 07:48:44 PM »
Unhappy feet =unhappy life.  My feet are not easy to fit, so I will not order shoes online unless they are an identical replacement of another pair.  Otherwise, I review clearance racks for sale prices on high quality, comfortable shoes.  I have zero tolerance for shoes that are the least bit uncomfortable.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2016, 10:25:20 PM »
I recently went through a (figuratively) painful search for a couple of types of shoes to replaces ones that were just wearing out. I ordered many pairs of shoes online and returned nearly as many. I tried on many different shoes in stores and often came out empty handed. When trying on a pair, I immediately ruled out any pair that showed any signs of ill-fitting (pinched toes, slipping heels). I figured, the problem would just get worse, and I want shoes that are comfortable to walk on for my typical days. It took me a couple of months, but I got all three types of shoes I was looking for.

I hope I don't have to repeat that at least a couple of years.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2016, 11:10:24 AM »
+1 to the Chacos sandals rec, though it did take me a couple months of intermittent/occasional wear to develop calluses in the right spots and get used to the arch, so YMMV. Because of how the footbed is shaped, I got some rubbing on the inside of my heel where the strap goes into the sole, if that makes sense. I stuck it out, and am now very very happy with them. I wear them pretty much every day for work. I never though I'd like such a heavy/structured shoe, but I'm pretty much in love! They aren't the most fashion-forward shoe, but they are very comfortable for walking.

JPinDC

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 01:59:03 PM »
This is a great thread! I have very wide feet and have just in the last year started buying shoes in wide sizes instead of cramming my feet into shoes that don't fit. I ordered dozens of shoes online and sent them back trying to find a few good pairs that I like. For me, Danskos were too tight! I've leaned towards Clarks and Cobb Hill.

I've also found that Clark's makes a line of shoes that are shaped like feet (wide at the toes instead of narrowing like most shoes. These are my current work shoes: https://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Womens-Janey-Mae-Leather/dp/B00U7LH3UC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465847608&sr=8-1&keywords=clarks+janey+mae

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 02:35:38 PM »
This is a great thread! I have very wide feet and have just in the last year started buying shoes in wide sizes instead of cramming my feet into shoes that don't fit. I ordered dozens of shoes online and sent them back trying to find a few good pairs that I like. For me, Danskos were too tight! I've leaned towards Clarks and Cobb Hill.

I've also found that Clark's makes a line of shoes that are shaped like feet (wide at the toes instead of narrowing like most shoes. These are my current work shoes: https://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Womens-Janey-Mae-Leather/dp/B00U7LH3UC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465847608&sr=8-1&keywords=clarks+janey+mae

Ooo thanks for the link! Pointed toe is great for fashion but Kills my feet!!