Author Topic: Do you watch Princess and Til Debt Do Us Part?  (Read 12438 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Do you watch Princess and Til Debt Do Us Part?
« on: March 07, 2013, 06:55:30 PM »
Any time I'm having trouble resisting an impulse buy, I watch these shows (for free! http://www.slice.ca/videocentre/video.html?ID=v#video) and suddenly I don't feel so spendy anymore :)

If you're fan, give me a shout! Few of my friends love these shows like I do.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Do you watch Princess and Til Debt Do Us Part?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 07:38:08 PM »
I am a big Gail fan!

I dont always agree with her advice, but she gets people whipped into shape, if they listen to her.

EngGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 07:03:17 AM »
I love Gail too! She was my introduction to PF - very easy to understand, and so moderate that her suggestions seemed laughably simple. She was like my training wheels of PF, and then I found MMM, which aligns much more with my money beliefs.

Her approach is tailored to a mainstream audience who will retire at 67, but it's nice knowing that there is someone out there to get the average spendy Joe back on track too.

My husband and I still sort of follow her budget plan, except that we live on only my income, and put 100% of his income to savings. A little more extreeme than the people on her show who are scratching their heads trying to figure out how they are going to save 10% of their COMBINED income.

KimAB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »
I've been a long time fan of Gail.  I used to read her blog regularly, too, but like others have said it is beginner stuff. 

I do think her moderate approach is more about her audience than about her.  I think she could quit working any time she wanted.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 10:01:51 AM »
her approach and the people that get chosen to be on the show are all about audience.     The show would be really really boring if she was to come in take a look around and decide that they've actually got their shit together, retirement at 67 looks to be well on track, maybe they should make another fund for when that car starts to breakdown and if they decide to put an extra $20/month into the kids RESP's then the kids schooling is 100% funded. 

Instead they show the extreme's    people spending 3000% more then they make and to be fair they do with with both high income and low income families.  This way the audience gets to feel superior to the family on tv  because hell maybe we shouldn't have ordered dinner last night but damn at least I didn't buy another $500 purse that I don't need... 

This is probably the reason they don't go the other extreme and show a mustachian family although I think it would be really interesting.   Hmm lets see you save 50% of your income,  have no consumer debt, the mortgage is almost paid off, you have a decent sized cash emergency fund, you're investing weekly in an appropriate mix of well diversified funds...      What's she going to say,  perhaps you should consider the tax implications of this investment and instead switch it to a different fund, maybe consider rental properties? 

That would instantly look like gloating to 90% of the audience so it would never air.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 12:32:49 PM »
Well, some of the follow-ups to people from the earlier seasons, are similar to MMM-ways now. But I wouldn't expect that on a show about debt ;)

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping

KimAB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 10:33:43 PM »
They weren't the worst ones by far!  I can think of three off the top of my head:

Ivy and ...can't remember.

Grandparents raising their spoiled little grand-daughter

The abusive jerk that was yelling at his wife in the middle of the park - You're either with me or you're against me!

None of them learned much from it and only did the show so they could get easy money.  And you know what- if someone handed ME a cheque for $1,000 or $3,000 I'd TAKE IT and be grateful, damn it! 

I've noticed that not all the princesses get anything.  I think that is good practice.  You don't have the right attitude you don't get the money.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 12:09:22 AM »

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 07:05:16 AM »
Gaaaah. Can't see the videos because I'm in the US. But I'm so curious now!

SoftwareGoddess

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 07:58:16 AM »
They weren't the worst ones by far!  I can think of three off the top of my head:

Ivy and ...can't remember.

Grandparents raising their spoiled little grand-daughter

The abusive jerk that was yelling at his wife in the middle of the park - You're either with me or you're against me!

I'm with you on the second two, but I think Guy and his wife were worse than Ivy and her husband. Guy is the one who didn't want to cut back his spending because he "values an active social life" -- but only if it was HIS social life, as it turned out. He was pretty upset when Gail sent the wife out for fun activities every night for a week while he had to stay home with the baby.

I've noticed that not all the princesses get anything.  I think that is good practice.  You don't have the right attitude you don't get the money.

Abusive jerk (Sam and Stephanie) didn't get anything, but that is more rare on TDDUP than on Princess. I think Gail toughened up as time went on.

JessicaRed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 12:02:55 PM »
I love Gail! She wasn't quite my first intro to PF (My dad gave me Wealthy Barber when I was 15, although Dave is small beans in comparison to MMM), but I like her no-nonsense quit being so entitled attitude.

One of the things I really struggle with as a 26 year old (I think this is common in my generation) is overcoming the belief that I'm supposed to have all the nice things NOW...i.e. jump straight to nice clothes, nice house, nice car, nice vacations etc. Part of the MMM experience for me has been reminding myself that, no, I can't have those things right now....but also that not having them is okay!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 07:01:28 PM »
HAHA oh man the couple that was paying their mortgage with their line of credit... that just killed me!!!!

@ JessicaRed - I totally feel the pressure to be done everything on the checklist: house/car/vacations/marriage/kids.... etc. Like you, I keep reminding myself that there is plenty of time for all that! Just live in the moment for now! :) And saaaaave.

JessicaRed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 08:43:25 PM »
@libraryjoy - yep, definitely SAVE! Looks like you're a similar situation as me - starting out on the mustachian way of life! For me, a lot of the appeal is the idea that I might learn to actually enjoy living with less. Before I found MMM I used to get so mad at myself when I did a big cleaning or organizing sesh, because I'd realize that I was tripping over/getting rid of things that I'd paid GOOD MONEY for a year ago, but now just didn't like/didn't fit/didn't suit me. I'd started trying to get better before finding MMM, but I like the way he presents reducing spending/consumerism as an enjoyable way to live as versus a state of frustrating sacrifice.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!