Author Topic: Do you sometimes feel isolated as a frugal or MMM person?  (Read 38521 times)

onehair

• Bristles
Re: Do you sometimes feel isolated as a frugal or MMM person?
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2016, 09:45:11 AM »
I felt a little isolated since I was so used to eating out daily at work and the socializing that comes with it.  Now I go visit same people in their offices it's cheaper lol and if I am off work I may indulge but the ones with some sense understand I have noticed only the ones who still don't quite handle money properly harp on it.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2016, 08:44:24 AM »
I felt a little isolated since I was so used to eating out daily at work and the socializing that comes with it.  Now I go visit same people in their offices it's cheaper lol and if I am off work I may indulge but the ones with some sense understand I have noticed only the ones who still don't quite handle money properly harp on it.
I noticed this over the weekend but in a slightly different context: people who are self-conscious about their size commenting on what other people ate; a person who clearly drinks a lot commenting on other people drinking too much. I think those people are probably aware deep down that not spending the money on lunch is the sensible choice.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2016, 08:54:58 AM »
I noticed this over the weekend but in a slightly different context: people who are self-conscious about their size commenting on what other people ate; a person who clearly drinks a lot commenting on other people drinking too much. I think those people are probably aware deep down that not spending the money on lunch is the sensible choice.
when you point a finger there are three fingers pointing back at you

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »
Not my experience either. Here I coastal SoCal everyone I know in their 40s, 50s and beyond are super fit, buff, athletic and very very physically active. Sure friends in their 50s still want to go out to eat and see a movie but that usually happens after they spent the day running a marathon, biking a century, hiking 25 miles or playing doubles volleyball on the beach all day. Its hard to keep up with the old folks around here ;-).

I should move

Could be worse. You could be in the Midwest where most people are fatty mcgee's and pregnant women smoke in the streets.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2016, 09:35:35 AM »
I don't feel isolated as a frugal person, but I do feel like I am missing out on career advancing opportunities because I do not go out to lunch or after work drinks very often.

At a previous gig, I had a direct supervisor that liked going to Starbucks 2-3 times a day. He would often come over and ask if anyone wanted to walk with him to Sbux. Everyone would always say no, except me. I would say yes mostly because I just wanted to not do actual work.

But eventually I realized we would bond and talk during these coffee trips. It wasn't long after that a big project got rolled out and my supervisor had to travel to our headquarters in Kansas. I was the only member of the team even invited.

I did realize if I was a brown noser type then I could have really used these to catapult my career into leadership, but I didn't really gave a damn about growing at that time. Also, the company itself sucked dick - imagine a big company owned by rich brothers that love giving money to republicans.

Anyways - my point is that I do believe sometimes it's worth it to spend a few bucks at work if you think it can really help your career. Hard work and a positive attitude don't matter if no one knows who you are.

opnfld

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2016, 02:14:43 PM »
Not my experience either. Here I coastal SoCal everyone I know in their 40s, 50s and beyond are super fit, buff, athletic and very very physically active. Sure friends in their 50s still want to go out to eat and see a movie but that usually happens after they spent the day running a marathon, biking a century, hiking 25 miles or playing doubles volleyball on the beach all day. Its hard to keep up with the old folks around here ;-).

I should move

Could be worse. You could be in the Midwest where most people are fatty mcgee's and pregnant women smoke in the streets.
Honestly?!  That is difficult to imagine.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »

I should move

It depends on where you are. I'm in the Twin Cities, which Forbes listed as the Healthiest City (I know Twin Cities is two cities, but for surveys they are lumped together for whatever reason).

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2016, 10:26:02 AM »
It depends on where you are. I'm in the Twin Cities, which Forbes listed as the Healthiest City (I know Twin Cities is two cities, but for surveys they are lumped together for whatever reason).
Pssh. We're referred to as Tampa Bay, when technically it's 3 different cities: Tampa, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, each having a distinctive identity to us locals. Then some surveys include Sarasota and Bradenton. Sarasota is full of old NorthEast moneybags who fuck-all whine and bitch about the heat and hurricanes. Then there's Pasco county, which is commuter land and redneck country aka Bumfucknowhere aka South Georgia.
As locals, anytime we're referred to as Tampa Bay in a national news article, we keep calm and ignore it.
But we have a huge variation of super-healthy to death-defying-unhealthy, skewed towards the latter.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2016, 10:39:49 AM »

I should move

Yes.

I lived in Iowa for a few years working for a rather large IT company. If you had access to Watson, you'd probably already know which company. ;)

Anyhow, so proper IT professional adults as my peers. A lady on my team got pregnant and was a smoker. She smoked the entire pregnancy that I witnessed. After returning, she was pregnant again a few months later and the same pattern continued. This was a lady who had a 1st kid in her early 20's and then these 2 kids in her late 30's.

A peer from another team, in her 20's, got pregnant and continued smoking through the entire pregnancy.

I used to walk past the smoking pit several times a day. It was honestly pretty common to see obviously pregnant women smoking cigarettes throughout the city. No exaggeration at all. It was really disturbing to be honest. Especially once my own wife became pregnant, it became even more disturbing to us.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2016, 11:00:40 AM »
Pssh. We're referred to as Tampa Bay, when technically it's 3 different cities: Tampa, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, each having a distinctive identity to us locals. Then some surveys include Sarasota and Bradenton. Sarasota is full of old NorthEast moneybags who fuck-all whine and bitch about the heat and hurricanes. Then there's Pasco county, which is commuter land and redneck country aka Bumfucknowhere aka South Georgia.
As locals, anytime we're referred to as Tampa Bay in a national news article, we keep calm and ignore it.
But we have a huge variation of super-healthy to death-defying-unhealthy, skewed towards the latter.

I moved to Pasco county. Its, well, interesting.... it definitely has a mix of residents. meth labs to commuters, country boys to crackers (true Florida crackers and proud of it. fair play to them).

canuck_24

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2016, 11:08:15 AM »
Then the next is travel. I do not get people who are taking 2 intercontinental vacations every year for multiple weeks at a time.

In the past year: In December my husband and I went to Switzerland.  In April we drove from our home in northern Canada down to Chicago to try some authentic deep dish.  And just yesterday we returned home from a trip to Panama.  We also drove home three times this year to visit our families two provinces west of where we are currently living.

We are frugal.  We enjoy our relatively mustachian/anti-consumerism way of life.  HOWEVER, that does not mean that we don't have interests that cost money.  We enjoy travelling, and we find the expenditure WORTH it.  In my opinion spending money to experience a different culture or a different way of life is NOT equivalent to spending money on paying someone to cook your meal or mow your lawn.  Could my annual spending be lower if we didn't travel, absolutely!  Would it make me happier to have those numbers in the bank rather than on my camera roll?  No, not even close.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2016, 06:13:58 AM »

I should move

Sounds like they are making America great again!

</sorry>

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2016, 07:10:08 AM »

I should move

Sounds like they are making America great again!

</sorry>

hahahahaha

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2016, 11:43:36 AM »
A friend from college is getting married in October. I decided not to attend because it would cost around $1000 all told to attend (hotel, airfare, plus more) and I would barely see my friend anyways as it is a huge wedding. Instead next time I'm in town we will make sure to get dinner. Yes I do feel somewhat isolated by my choices, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »
Apologies for reviving a long-expired thread but I had to go back and find this comment.

I must be extremely lucky to not get bored of food?  Ever?  I have an apple every night for dessert and always look forward to it.  Don't get me wrong, I like trying new things and variety as much as anyone but I think I could open a brown bag, see the same type of sandwich every single day forever and still think (and often exclaim out loud), "ALRIGHT--A BALONEY SANDWICH!!  YUMMO!!"   Funny that people are so concerned about having their coffee every day prepared exactly how they like it but get fussy over having the same food.

...Or maybe it's just plain insanity.  This often happens:

Me:  "Spaghetti!  Can't wait!!  Delicious!!"
Friend:  "You had that yesterday--it's actually just leftovers of the exact same dish being heated up, dummy."
Me:  [Blank, confused stare.]  "Spaghetti!  Can't wait!!  Delicious!!"

It'd  probably have to be daily white bread and water for me to get bored.

I made a batch of spaghetti to bring for lunches this week, and I've thought of this comment every day while counting down till lunch.

Spaghetti! Can't wait! Delicious!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:57:48 PM by mustachepungoeshere »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2018, 10:41:57 PM »
I've just started a new job after being unemployed for 3 months. My new colleagues asked how I managed that, so I just told them that I had some good money saved against basic expenses so that I could quit if I wanted. I told them it was called FU money and that you can find out all about it on MMM blog. Now one of them doesn't talk to me. Kind of weird, since they were the ones that asked the could-be-considered-prying question in the first place.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2018, 08:48:07 AM »
Apologies for reviving a long-expired thread but I had to go back and find this comment.

I must be extremely lucky to not get bored of food?  Ever?  I have an apple every night for dessert and always look forward to it.  Don't get me wrong, I like trying new things and variety as much as anyone but I think I could open a brown bag, see the same type of sandwich every single day forever and still think (and often exclaim out loud), "ALRIGHT--A BALONEY SANDWICH!!  YUMMO!!"   Funny that people are so concerned about having their coffee every day prepared exactly how they like it but get fussy over having the same food.

Friend:  "You had that yesterday--it's actually just leftovers of the exact same dish being heated up, dummy."

I made a batch of spaghetti to bring for lunches this week, and I've thought of this comment every day while counting down till lunch.

I still remember one of the best meals I've ever had, two slices of white bread, 1 slice of cheese and 1 slice of ham with no condiments. Anything tastes good when you're hungry enough.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2018, 01:00:01 PM »
Yup, just started a new job recently and already feeling this. There are more people my age (mid-20s) in this office. We all make the exact same, but I'm the only one who has Husband's income as well my own as the rest of them are single. Yet somehow, I'm the only one who doesn't want to go out to lunch every day. One of them has stayed here to eat lunch two times, other than that they all go out. I went out the first day of the job in the spirit of office camaraderie and was distressed at spending $5 just at the Kroger salad bar station. I've already been asked why I don't join them more.
gosh, when I was your age I ate out SO MUCH.  At first, I didn't.  Packed lunch.  Got a raise.  Then another one.  For a few years there were days when I ate out breakfast, lunch and dinner.

When we bought our house and cleaned out the garage in the rental, I found a single credit card bill from those days, in a box.  OMG.  I was spending $1000 a month on cc, and about $750 of that was eating out.

If I'm going to eat out, it's usually for dinner. DH does most of the cooking and sometimes on the weekends he doesn't feel like it and we'll get a pizza or some chinese. It helps that there are barely any restaurants near my work either. Which makes it all the more confusing, because my coworkers are having to eat at the exact same places week in and week out.

And ALL fast food tastes the same very quickly.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2018, 03:17:51 PM »
anna, maybe it came off as bragging even though you didn't mean it that way. I would have said I have an emergency fund to cover such things.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2018, 11:08:44 PM »
anna, maybe it came off as bragging even though you didn't mean it that way. I would have said I have an emergency fund to cover such things.

I found out today that she wanted my job. I'm senior to her..... and they hired an outsider cos she's 'limited' in her ability to relate to people. Um....accurate!

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2018, 12:05:59 AM »
when you point a finger there are three fingers pointing back at you
If you curl your three remaining fingers like a normal person, they actually point to the guy next to you.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2018, 08:00:47 AM »

I still remember one of the best meals I've ever had, two slices of white bread, 1 slice of cheese and 1 slice of ham with no condiments. Anything tastes good when you're hungry enough.

I've warned my DH that when we retire we'll be having oatmeal for breakfast every day and four or five different simple dishes in rotation for our other meals. He's well up for giving it a try.

thesis

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2018, 08:26:48 AM »
One thing I have to be careful of...no one likes to talk about money or the saving of it in association with how life is meant to be enjoyed.

This.

I post about money on facebook somewhat frequently, partly to fight the status quo, partly to encourage my friends toward better decisions, but as you can predict, people are starting to feel like I'm fighting them. "Don't mess with the status quo!"

I finally got attacked on my blog last week, was essentially called arrogant and prideful for being excited how much of my bonus went into my 401k (using a 35% contribution rate, small by mustachian standards). I suspect I know who posted that because he was arguing about how you have to "live in the now" and be happy and you may not live to reach your savings goals. The assumption being that you have to hate your life to be saving that much. That guy and his wife are DINKs and make a lot but have very expensive hobbies. There's no reasoning with these sorts of people....

So yes, I feel pretty alone. But I have a lot of lurker friends who listen and a few who have said they appreciate what I say. There is hope for many of them, so I keep talking :)

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2018, 08:41:48 AM »

@Kaspian - I've also always remembered this food comment (and the subsequent "fuck polenta!" anecdote, ha ha).

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2018, 11:55:32 AM »
One thing I have to be careful of...no one likes to talk about money or the saving of it in association with how life is meant to be enjoyed.

I finally got attacked on my blog last week...  I suspect I know who posted that because he was arguing about how you have to "live in the now" and be happy and you may not live to reach your savings goals.

How I hate that 'live in the now' meme. Every person I've ever heard spout it had no savings or plans to, and said it with a faintly pitying, superior tone as though they were much more spiritually advanced than i, who is clearly not 'living in the now' because I plan to live to retirement and don't wish to be financially strapped through my golden years.
I dated a guy for a little while who used that line when I mentioned retirement and planning for it. What he was planning to do was take the profits on his condo and quit his job to write for a year, then sell his script and just be a full-time script writer. At which point, if he didn't sell his script, he'd be broke and back to teaching esl english full-time.
I don't know what he did. But if he didn't sell until *now* (that was maybe 12 years ago) his one bedroom condo could afford him a frugal lifestyle somewhere outside of town. He was frugal, just didn't have any savings.

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2018, 09:07:58 AM »

This is also my most memorable meal.  I was visiting with my aunts on summer vacation.  I was 8 years old and had spent an entire day running around outside, fishing and other fun 8 year old things.  My aunts had set up a feast for when I returned home.  There was a large selection of food, but I chose to have two pieces of cold-cut ham between two slices of Freihofer's Country White bread.  To this day, best bite of food I've ever had.  I must have been starving.  My mouth still waters thinking of that sandwich.

FreshPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2018, 12:29:21 PM »

I've warned my DH that when we retire we'll be having oatmeal for breakfast every day and four or five different simple dishes in rotation for our other meals. He's well up for giving it a try.

This is already our life.  We eat a rotating menu of tacos, breakfast, pizza, some kind of casserole and stuffed peppers.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2018, 01:21:00 PM »

@Kaspian - I've also always remembered this food comment (and the subsequent "fuck polenta!" anecdote, ha ha).

Ha ha ha, I love this!

I eat salad for lunch.  Every. Damn. Day.  Or at least, 90% of the days.  The looks and comments I get!!  "Salad again??"  Yes.

What's IN the salad changes sometimes.  But it's almost always salad.

One of the guys who made the comment?  Eats rice, chicken, and carrots and tomatoes every day!  He commented on my salad and then said "well, I guess I'm the same".

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2018, 12:42:51 AM »
How I hate that 'live in the now' meme.
I read the following on Facebook once:

A: just opened a retirement savings account. YOLO!
B: that’s not how YOLO works
A: yes, that’s exactly how it works

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2018, 11:07:41 AM »
How I hate that 'live in the now' meme.
I read the following on Facebook once:

A: just opened a retirement savings account. YOLO!
B: that’s not how YOLO works
A: yes, that’s exactly how it works

I lol'd