Author Topic: Do you have a lottery fantasy? Post it here...  (Read 90184 times)

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
Re: Do you have a lottery fantasy? Post it here...
« Reply #250 on: October 29, 2017, 02:47:15 PM »
My FIRE number is around $700,000 in index funds, with a paid for house. So any windfall above that is just for fun!! 

1 mil:
-Buy a small house or condo in a M-HCOL place with cash ($400,000 maybe)
-Dontate/divy up about $100k to friends, family, and charities
-I would probably have about $100k left that I would just put into index funds
-Keep working until I was FIRED (probably speeding up the date by 2-3 years due to the extra 100k and paid off house falling into my lap)

10 mil:
-Quit working at current job immediately
-Dontate/divy up $1 mil to charity/friends/family
-Buy a NICE piece of land somewhere near a city with lots of green-space and public amenities and build a custom Earthship on it (I would want to learn to do the work myself but this step will still probably eat up close to $1 mil depending on cost of land)
-Sell current RV and Truck (get about $40,000 back from that)
-Buy an RV with a good solar system ($100k ish for the Lazy Daze that i'm drooling over)
-Prius for daily use
-TESLA! for fun driving!!!
-Buy 3-4 condos/townhomes in nice areas around the US (DC area, NYC, South Florida, maybe a ski resort somewhere) and run them as executive rentals and just block off days whenever I want to use them (cost...maybe 4 mil? this cost could be cut quite a bit depending on the zip codes. but these would be bringing some annual income)
-Take classes and learn new skills, new hobbies, and make new friends
-Should have about $1 mil left to stick into index funds.

Live off of investment dividends and income from properties (around $40-60k per year), travel, be generous with time and money.

More than $10 mil:
All of the above plus doubling or tripling amount into index funds, be even more generous. Set up some trusts for family, pay off mortgages for family, fund a scholarship for my alma mater..that kind of thing

With $3 mil in index funds, that's a safe withdrawal of $120,000 per year! I can't even image what I would do besides just give it away. Once I have kids I would obviously invest in some college funds. It would nice to have a LARGE cushion for health insurance/healthcare costs for the future.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 04:11:59 PM by SeaRV »

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #251 on: October 29, 2017, 03:58:50 PM »
I only read the first and last page of this thread, so apologies if this article was already posted.

Mr Money Mustache: What Would You Do with WAY MORE Money?:

"Do absolutely nothing differently...
And that was a very liberating thing to figure out. I have completely lost the desire for any more of the things money can buy than I already have, which means I have completely lost any form of envy, any sense of deprivation, or any sense of missing out on anything..
The availability of time is always the limiting factor, not the number of amazing activities to choose between. Spending more money can only broaden my list of options even further, without giving me more time...
The ideas above will sound cuckoo-bird to the most junior Mustachians, and “well, duh” to the most advanced ones...

If your goals for the extra money involve simply paying off the rest of your debts and living the financially independent life you were already planning before I gave you this extra $5-$10 million, then you’ve passed the test – you’ll do well in the uncharted and very adult world of complete freedom.
On the other hand, if you started adding just a few niceties, like a second house up by the ski resorts for those family gatherings, and maybe just one new SUV to get back and forth to it, and oh, maybe just a bit more four-star-resort international travel, because hey, with $10 million, you could easily afford those things… I’d say you’re not completely free yet.

Your personal freedom grows with each material desire that you grow out of."

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #252 on: October 29, 2017, 04:51:42 PM »
Your personal freedom grows with each material desire that you grow out of.
I guess it depends on what's a "nicety" and what's "removing a pain point."  Given a million dollars, I'd probably opt to replace our 22-year-old, 215,000 mile car with something with half the age and mileage, rather than spend lots of time repairing the rust that's emerging, replacing the collapsing headliner, and learning how to replace a cracked windshield.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: October 30, 2017, 05:49:56 PM »
I'll play, too.  But first a point on remaining anonymous:  I understand that winners names are made publicly available to prevent fraud.  The public wants to be assured that the winner was not the lottery director's brother-in-law, or similar.  (something like this actually happened and the guy was finally caught after being able to manipulate the winning numbers and then letting a family member show up with that ticket).
That said, you can form a legal entity like "The Three Amigos" did, and show up in some kind of face-covering costume like they did, which apparently was okay.
In AZ where I live, the legislature passed a bill stating that your name would not be released for 90 days, or something like that.  At least that gives you time to move out of your house if you don't want the press/family/friends/shirttail relatives showing up on your doorstep. 

For myself, along with other posters here, I'd help family and friends.  I'd especially like to help the next generation with a modest house and car - having that paid for in your 20s or 30s is a big boost for the rest of your financial life.

Like everyone, I have some charity ideas too.  I'd love to finance and have someone manage some trailer parks for senior citizens.  Lots would be free/minimal cost.  Housing is a big issue, especially in the later years of someone's life.  There are so many retired folks out there now who are trying to survive on a single social security check and driving an old RV to "workkamp" or boondock or similar.  I'd like to give them some dignity and a place to finally park and not worry about lot payments.

And for the Big Lottery Win (>$100M), check out what this millionaire did over the last 20 years in Tangelo Park, FL:
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/26/us/tangelo-park-orlando-florida.html
I'd probably do something like that - concentrate on making a big difference in a certain geographical area. 

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #254 on: October 31, 2017, 07:36:16 AM »
I only read the first and last page of this thread, so apologies if this article was already posted.

And that was a very liberating thing to figure out. I have completely lost the desire for any more of the things money can buy than I already have, which means I have completely lost any form of envy, any sense of deprivation, or any sense of missing out on anything..
The availability of time is always the limiting factor, not the number of amazing activities to choose between. Spending more money can only broaden my list of options even further, without giving me more time...
The ideas above will sound cuckoo-bird to the most junior Mustachians, and “well, duh” to the most advanced ones...

If your goals for the extra money involve simply paying off the rest of your debts and living the financially independent life you were already planning before I gave you this extra $5-$10 million, then you’ve passed the test – you’ll do well in the uncharted and very adult world of complete freedom.
On the other hand, if you started adding just a few niceties, like a second house up by the ski resorts for those family gatherings, and maybe just one new SUV to get back and forth to it, and oh, maybe just a bit more four-star-resort international travel, because hey, with $10 million, you could easily afford those things… I’d say you’re not completely free yet.

Yeah, I kinda buy this, and I kinda don't.

Best example I can think of:  there are two places in this world that give me an almost overwhelming feeling of peace and contentedness.  One of them is hanging off the West Caicos wall about 80' down, watching the sharks below and the barracudas above and the nudibranchs on the coral -- it is a total feeling of zen (or as close as I have ever gotten), and in fact was the place that I went to in my mind when in the middle of childbirth.  The other one is on a ski lift in Taos, with the brilliant blue sky and the crisp air and the blindingly white snow, knowing that I have a whole day of fun in front of me, with a break for a delicious hefeweissen and goulash at The Bavarian for lunch.

So if I won the lottery, I would buy homes in both Turks & Caicos and Taos.  Not because I want big fancy homes, but because those places let me do the things that bring me a kind of peace and contentedness I have never experienced anywhere else, and because I want to do those things a hell of a lot more than I get to do now (my first post-FIRE purchase is going to be a Taos season pass). 

I am sure a better person and a better Mustachian could replicate those feelings elsewhere.  I am also sure that I could manage a perfectly happy life without ever doing either of those things again -- in fact, I haven't been to T&C in probably 15 years, since we started having kids and stopped diving -- or with choosing just one and forgoing the other.  But if someone handed me millions of dollars, you can bet your ass that I'm doing both.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #255 on: October 31, 2017, 09:48:13 PM »

Yeah, I kinda buy this, and I kinda don't.

Best example I can think of:  there are two places in this world that give me an almost overwhelming feeling of peace and contentedness.  One of them is hanging off the West Caicos wall about 80' down, watching the sharks below and the barracudas above and the nudibranchs on the coral -- it is a total feeling of zen (or as close as I have ever gotten), and in fact was the place that I went to in my mind when in the middle of childbirth.  The other one is on a ski lift in Taos, with the brilliant blue sky and the crisp air and the blindingly white snow, knowing that I have a whole day of fun in front of me, with a break for a delicious hefeweissen and goulash at The Bavarian for lunch.

So if I won the lottery, I would buy homes in both Turks & Caicos and Taos.  Not because I want big fancy homes, but because those places let me do the things that bring me a kind of peace and contentedness I have never experienced anywhere else, and because I want to do those things a hell of a lot more than I get to do now (my first post-FIRE purchase is going to be a Taos season pass). 

I am sure a better person and a better Mustachian could replicate those feelings elsewhere.  I am also sure that I could manage a perfectly happy life without ever doing either of those things again -- in fact, I haven't been to T&C in probably 15 years, since we started having kids and stopped diving -- or with choosing just one and forgoing the other.  But if someone handed me millions of dollars, you can bet your ass that I'm doing both.

Oh that sounds lovely. I got my open water cert last month and it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

CTEC_Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #256 on: February 08, 2022, 10:29:44 AM »
I know this thread has been dead for a while but I thought I'd share my lottery fantasies.

If I were to win the "Mega Millions" the first thing I would do is pay off my in-laws' medical debt. Both my FIL and MIL have battled cancer (and survived!) which has left them with a pretty massive amount of debt. In addition they cash-flowed my wife and her sister through college (a private Midwest institution) and have generally put their children before themselves for their entire lives. They're also both immigrants from Eastern Europe. As a whole they have done so well and taken many of the right steps to financial independence but due to unfortunate events outside of their control they are riddled with debt in their late 60's.

Next, my own father has worked his tail off (60ish hour weeks) for the last 30 years. He is only 57 but he has earned retirement more than most I know so I would give him any amount of money he needs to be able to pull the plug now and "ride off into the sunset" of retirement so to speak. I'd then pay off all debts for my brother, sister, and SIL so that they never have to worry about owing anybody money again. My sister is in her early 20's, I'd buy her a house. My SIL is in her mid 30's but had to start over a few years ago after a divorce so I'd buy her a house or condo as well.

After setting all of them up, I would move to fully funding 4 different 529s (1 for my son and 3 for my brother's children). It would only be fair to set aside money for any future children in the family as well. Next, I'd pay the entire amount needed to build the new facilities my church has been fundraising for over the last decade (around $5mil).

After all of these things are done, I'd probably spend about $1mil on myself and my wife. Then I'd invest the rest into a balanced fund 50/50 and never worry about money again!

I'd also like to make a point that I would not give single red penny to my extended family. They're all terrible with money so I'd just become their bank, NO THANK YOU!

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: February 08, 2022, 10:36:39 AM »
Whenever I dream about winning the lottery, i start worrying about taxes and staying anonymous

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: February 08, 2022, 10:45:04 AM »
After all of these things are done, I'd probably spend about $1mil on myself and my wife.
On what? Bicycle upgrade?  Domestic renewable energy solutions?  F150 Lightning?  Cosmetology surgeries?  Caviar?  Travel?  A nice sound system?  Gym equipment?  A new kitchen?  NFTs?  Art?

The sentiment about close relatives and medical bills and education is really nice but this is a fantasy thread!  Surely you have some more details/pipe dream possibilities about the spending you'd do on yourself and your wife.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #259 on: February 08, 2022, 10:51:19 AM »
Passing those huge billboards with the current value of the MegaMillions and Powerball generally is good for a couple of hours of entertainment on drives. Very occasionally I've even bought a lottery ticket after the fact, just as a nod to the entertainment value!

Still. What would I do? Obviously specifics would depend on the amount we're talking about. I'd opt for the full payout upfront (which I think drops the value in half off the bat) After the couple of basics like "treat everyone to a paid vacation in Tahiti" and setting up trusts for the kids/grandkids and the family home, I would do some combination of random college scholarships, general follow on education funds (not just college but trade school or apprenticeships) in the small town in northern Vermont where the family home is, and funding a couple of rural libraries. I think it would also be fun to set aside a few million where the interest would fund donations to some number of non-profits and family and friends could pick the winners of the donations each year. Some smaller non-profits could have their reach significantly expand with what seems like a relatively small amount.

CTEC_Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #260 on: February 08, 2022, 10:55:17 AM »
After all of these things are done, I'd probably spend about $1mil on myself and my wife.
On what? Bicycle upgrade?  Domestic renewable energy solutions?  F150 Lightning?  Cosmetology surgeries?  Caviar?  Travel?  A nice sound system?  Gym equipment?  A new kitchen?  NFTs?  Art?

The sentiment about close relatives and medical bills and education is really nice but this is a fantasy thread!  Surely you have some more details/pipe dream possibilities about the spending you'd do on yourself and your wife.

Yeah absolutely. The $1mil would what I would give us for an amount to just blow through. Probably about half of the money would be spent on building a new home (nothing too crazy so $500k in our market would be plenty). Next, we'd both get brand new cars to the tune of $40k-$50k each. The rest would be "blown" on traveling the world and experiences. After a house and two new cars we'd probably have about $400k left, that would allow us some pretty amazing trips for a couple years.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #261 on: February 08, 2022, 10:55:26 AM »
Passing those huge billboards with the current value of the MegaMillions and Powerball generally is good for a couple of hours of entertainment on drives. Very occasionally I've even bought a lottery ticket after the fact, just as a nod to the entertainment value!

Still. What would I do? Obviously specifics would depend on the amount we're talking about. I'd opt for the full payout upfront (which I think drops the value in half off the bat) After the couple of basics like "treat everyone to a paid vacation in Tahiti" and setting up trusts for the kids/grandkids and the family home, I would do some combination of random college scholarships, general follow on education funds (not just college but trade school or apprenticeships) in the small town in northern Vermont where the family home is, and funding a couple of rural libraries. I think it would also be fun to set aside a few million where the interest would fund donations to some number of non-profits and family and friends could pick the winners of the donations each year. Some smaller non-profits could have their reach significantly expand with what seems like a relatively small amount.

On the "while we're fantasizing" front - put in an order at the factory for a brand new HR 42, spec'd to our criteria. At least that would be the dream boat right now. Hah. Since neither the upkeep nor the insurance would be of concern if we did win the lottery.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: February 08, 2022, 11:11:52 AM »

On the "while we're fantasizing" front - put in an order at the factory for a brand new HR 42, spec'd to our criteria. At least that would be the dream boat right now. Hah. Since neither the upkeep nor the insurance would be of concern if we did win the lottery.

What's an HR 42?  Any googling only turns up legislative stuff...

valsecito

• Stubble
« Reply #263 on: February 08, 2022, 02:03:56 PM »
One-off cost: 1 000 000 €
- parents' home improvements (including age proofing) 25k€
- sister's mortgage pay off 100k€
- little nephew etf portfolio 50k€
- private detective and accountant to investigate mean brother's business dealings 50k€
- car and bicycles 50k€
- primary home improvements and preventative maintenance 25k€
- countryside home improvements and surrounding land purchase 100k€
- financial streamlining: pay off loans, simplify minor fiscal optimisations, ...: 200k€
- Canary islands holiday home 350k€
- various anonymous gifts: 50k€

Running cost increases: 3500€/month (capital budget to sustain indefinitely: 1 500k€)
- fiber internet at all 3 residences: 100€/month
- maintenance and cleaning at primary home: 100€/month
- maintenance and cleaning at countryside home 1: 100€/month
- car parking: 100€/month
- restaurants: 100€/month
- travel and CO2 offset: 500€/month
- full time personal assistant: 2500€/month

Playground organisation for causes close to my heart: 20k €/month (capital budget to sustain eternally: 10 000 k€)
- anonymous hyperlocal good causes near our residences
- ecology
- privacy
- internet and software

Serious non-profit for evidence based global improvements: 1000k €/month (capital budget to sustain eternally: 500 000 000 €)

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #264 on: February 08, 2022, 02:22:33 PM »

With the username and taking 'dream boat' literally, my guess is Hallberg Rassy brand boats/yachts.

https://www.hallberg-rassy.com/yachts/previous-models

There are 42(E) and 42(F) models in there from mostly the 80s and 90s.  Since they have a column dedicated to how many of each model were built, I'm guessing this is a hoity toity/high end brand.  Then again I could be wrong on what HR 42 means altogether as the last Hallberg Rassy 42 foot models were produced in 2001 and they said they would order one "brand new."

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2022, 02:42:23 PM »

Hallberg-Rassy sailboat. Of course, then I googled (tells you how often I spend time on that) and it seems they're no longer making the 42. Or the 46. So it'd be a 44. A 50 is way too big. The 40CC doesn't have the layout option we'd want.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #266 on: February 08, 2022, 03:47:28 PM »
Those are nice but I think a Morris M36 or M42 is about the most beautiful yacht out there. That’s what I’d have.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #267 on: February 08, 2022, 04:00:49 PM »
I honestly don't have a lottery fantasy. I think my life would turn to shit if I won. I think I would mostly lose a lot of relationships. As a result, I make a conscious decision to not play.

I think that if I had a lot of relationships that depended upon me being of a certain networth, I would not mind severing those relationships.

Have you ever seen a family fight over an inheritance worth about 100K? I have seen it happen more than once and it's really sad. Imagine what would happen to that family if someone won 100 million.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #268 on: February 08, 2022, 04:19:18 PM »
Those are nice but I think a Morris M36 or M42 is about the most beautiful yacht out there. That’s what I’d have.

Morris makes a brilliant boat for sure. Isn't it good there are so many options out there! (and also. Another winning ticket lottery fantasy lol)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #269 on: February 08, 2022, 04:29:21 PM »

Morris makes a brilliant boat for sure. Isn't it good there are so many options out there! (and also. Another winning ticket lottery fantasy lol)

Have y'all seen the Sirius yachts, though?

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #270 on: February 08, 2022, 04:34:28 PM »

Have y'all seen the Sirius yachts, though?

Is "deck salon" code for "pilothouse"? I do like the relatively flush deck though!

Detraction on the Morris: they're daysailors. We're liveaboard cruisers.

We can easily turn this thread into a "sailboats I lust after". Hah.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #271 on: February 08, 2022, 05:39:38 PM »
If I won the lottery today, I would buy a used power boat and do the great loop while my new sailboat is being built.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #272 on: February 08, 2022, 06:21:52 PM »
If I won the lottery today, I would buy a used power boat and do the great loop while my new sailboat is being built.

Oohhh, good one!

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #273 on: February 09, 2022, 05:38:19 AM »
My lottery fantasy is to setup a non-profit organization with a large trust to piece together a contiguous plot of land in the semi-mountainous far flung exurbs of Washington DC near where I live. The organization would work on nature conservancy, develop a trail system, and allow free public access and nature programs, hopefully in perpetuity.

I'm inspired by sugarloaf mountain

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #274 on: February 09, 2022, 04:37:44 PM »
This thread started 5+ years ago.   I got curious to see what my answer was and whether it would be different.   And, to be clear, we didn't win the lottery...

Pay off the mortgage on our new house and the heloc on our old one.   That's all our debt.   If I won a big payout I would be simplifying my life by removing two more bills.
Well, there's an O.B.E. (Overtaken By Events) option.    The mortgage is already gone.

Send some cash to my relatives to make their life a bit easier, along with a note that the rest has already been given to charity.
Yep, I would still do that.

Buy the mid-century modernist house we want to save and fix it up, then turn it into a maker space for artists.   Hire someone to watch over it so I don't have to be there on any given day.  Buy the lot next door for parking space. 
Set up a trust fund to handle ongoing expenses.
Well, that's not going to happen.  Instead, we bought it, saved it, and sold it to another family so they could restore it and live in it.   

But I bet I could find another nifty place for the same purpose.   In fact, I already know of several. :)

Help good, hardworking people get started in the rental property business by fronting the money and mentoring thru the process of buying and fixing up a house for rent or flipping.  Set up an internship where they help me flip two houses and they get half the profits on each.  That should give them the knowledge of how to fix up a house and the cash to get started with.
Part of the internship is a contract that they will offer the same deal to other people every 6th house that they get.  The profits from just one paid-off rental house would make a real difference to folks who are in the lower middle class. 
Well, we didn't do it quite that way.   But we did help a family get started in the real estate business in an even more generous basis.   Frankly, we don't have the energy or the interest to go renovate more houses, so we won't be doing more.
Prices are thru the roof so good deals are really hard to find and by the time that changes, we'll have even less energy and interest in renovating them.  We aren't spring chickens anymore.

We also helped finance starting a trucking company.   One truck so far.   $5,000 profit on a $12,000 investment, with 10.5 months of expenses and only 8 months of income.    I think we're past a lot of the teething pains.  Our plan is to re-invest our profits into the company to grow it.   At that point, I'll take my profits as an income stream to fund our charitable giving, to supplement the $1000+/month we already give away.   Part of the company ethos is to treat the truckers far better than they get treated at other companies.

Set up a trust to help out my kids and grand kids.
We have our will set up and that should take care of our kids and grand kids.

Sign up for lots of art classes around the world.   Try getting into The Prince of Wale's School of Traditional Arts.   Sign up for language immersion classes in French in France and Arabic in Morocco. 
Well, in a way, we've done that thanks to Covid, at least on the art classes.   Not quite the way we planned to, but we still learned fun stuff and had fun learning it.

Buy some additional tools.
Boy howdy, have I done that!   AND I've put them to good use, too.

I'm sure my wife would come up with a few things, too.
We have a lot more books and fabric and historical costumes...

Well, that was kind of nice to review.  We've actually met a lot of our goals in the interim and didn't even win the lottery.  :)

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: February 09, 2022, 07:36:21 PM »
@SwordGuy - I love this!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #276 on: February 10, 2022, 07:55:48 AM »
Well, I first responded back in November of 2016, and I like SwordGuy's idea of revisiting it.  Here's my old stuff:
--Disappear for a few months, and keep my name out of the papers, to fend off the gold diggers
--Pay off debt
--Quit paying for life insurance :)
--Take the family to Disney World
--Get my pilot's license, and fly a whole bunch of different kinds of airplanes until I find the one(s) I want to keep
--Move to a low-tax state
--Build a dream house (and do a bunch of the work myself)
[/quote]
All of those things are still "on the list," with the exception of Disney World.  We just went a few months ago (and hit Universal as well).  It was a ton of fun, but the continuing skimpflation took a bit of enjoyment out of the experience.  Plus, between the crowds and Disney Genie (i.e. replacement for FastPass+), it is a significantly less enjoyable experience than it was the last time we went.

Of the other things:
I want a new computer.  We'd like to finish our basement.  I'd like to plant some more fruit trees.  A few windows need replacing. DW would like an memory foam floor mat next to the kitchen island.
Well, I still have the same computer (and wouldn't mind a newer one), we have since finished our basement, some window panes still need replacement, we don't expect to be in this house long enough to benefit from new fruit trees, and DW has her anti-fatigue mat now.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #277 on: February 10, 2022, 11:12:49 AM »
No joke about the "skimpflation" at Disney world. Obtaining food requires planning.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #278 on: February 10, 2022, 03:06:23 PM »
No joke about the "skimpflation" at Disney world. Obtaining food requires planning.
Warning, Disney World Rant ahead...

Our family has been to WDW a few times over the last decade, and after our most recent trip (a few months ago), I started making a list of how WDW has lost its value.  Hiking ticket prices gets lots of attention, so it didn't happen a whole lot...until they introduced variable pricing, and now the old ticket price is the new minimum ticket price.  They didn't charge for parking.  Then it was $25/day unless you stayed at a Disney Resort.  Then it was $25/day even if you did stay at a Disney Resort.  Shorter park hours.  Less live entertainment.  Reduced ride capacity.  Laid off the Streetmosphere performers.  Less consistent trash pickup and bathroom cleaning.  The railroad at Magic Kingdom has been out of service for several years, and the parking lot trams were shut down for two years.  Star Wars Land opens with only one (later two) attractions, but two restaurants, two very expensive "experiences", and six gift shops.  Annual Pass prices have skyrocketed, but added blackout dates.  The deluge of special (extra cost) "dessert parties" and "character breakfasts."  The demise of the dining plan and other discounts.  And the cherry on top, Disney Genie and Lightning Lane, two blatant cash grabs.  Genie's predecessor, FastPass+, provided a greater benefit and was free.  Lightning Lane is a plain ol' "skip the line if you're rich" cash grab.

If we hadn't had the Disability Access Service, it would have been miserable.  We wait several years between visits, and DS, who qualifies for the DAS, graduates next year.  Even DW, who absolutely loves WDW, freely admitted that we will likely never go again as a family, because the value simply isn't there any more.  And that's after you consider that, thanks to packing our own food, heavily discounted tickets, driving ourselves, and a bargain of an Airbnb, we spent probably 50% less than the typical visitor does.  In other words, we stacked the deck very heavily in our favor, and it still came out marginal.

The sad thing is that the skimpflation doesn't seem to be hitting Disney's bottom line.  Quite the opposite, in fact.  Depending on the day and the crowd level, between 30 and 50% of park visitors are ponying up the $16/day/person for Genie, and/or the $7-20/person/ride Lightning Lane passes.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #279 on: February 10, 2022, 05:48:24 PM »

Our family has been to WDW a few times over the last decade, and after our most recent trip (a few months ago), I started making a list of how WDW has lost its value.  Hiking ticket prices gets lots of attention, so it didn't happen a whole lot...until they introduced variable pricing, and now the old ticket price is the new minimum ticket price.  They didn't charge for parking.  Then it was $25/day unless you stayed at a Disney Resort.  Then it was $25/day even if you did stay at a Disney Resort.  Shorter park hours.  Less live entertainment.  Reduced ride capacity.  Laid off the Streetmosphere performers.  Less consistent trash pickup and bathroom cleaning.  The railroad at Magic Kingdom has been out of service for several years, and the parking lot trams were shut down for two years.  Star Wars Land opens with only one (later two) attractions, but two restaurants, two very expensive "experiences", and six gift shops.  Annual Pass prices have skyrocketed, but added blackout dates.  The deluge of special (extra cost) "dessert parties" and "character breakfasts."  The demise of the dining plan and other discounts.  And the cherry on top, Disney Genie and Lightning Lane, two blatant cash grabs.  Genie's predecessor, FastPass+, provided a greater benefit and was free.  Lightning Lane is a plain ol' "skip the line if you're rich" cash grab.

If we hadn't had the Disability Access Service, it would have been miserable.  We wait several years between visits, and DS, who qualifies for the DAS, graduates next year.  Even DW, who absolutely loves WDW, freely admitted that we will likely never go again as a family, because the value simply isn't there any more.  And that's after you consider that, thanks to packing our own food, heavily discounted tickets, driving ourselves, and a bargain of an Airbnb, we spent probably 50% less than the typical visitor does.  In other words, we stacked the deck very heavily in our favor, and it still came out marginal.

The sad thing is that the skimpflation doesn't seem to be hitting Disney's bottom line.  Quite the opposite, in fact.  Depending on the day and the crowd level, between 30 and 50% of park visitors are ponying up the $16/day/person for Genie, and/or the $7-20/person/ride Lightning Lane passes.

Thanks for this description. It is very on topic for my family. We have been considering going to Disney next year for the second time as a family. I've heard things like what you've said but never so concisely put and only from news article type things rather than someone who just went personally. I realize Disney is pretty solidly anti-mustachian, but I'm fine with going even with that.......but it seems it's really tipped over into the not worth it category.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #280 on: February 11, 2022, 01:06:50 PM »

Thanks for this description. It is very on topic for my family. We have been considering going to Disney next year for the second time as a family. I've heard things like what you've said but never so concisely put and only from news article type things rather than someone who just went personally. I realize Disney is pretty solidly anti-mustachian, but I'm fine with going even with that.......but it seems it's really tipped over into the not worth it category.
Yeah, I wish I could wave my magic wand and give people a chance to experience WDW the way it was 10 years ago.  IMO, Disney really needs a "fifth gate" (i.e. a fifth theme park) in Florida, or a whole new resort in, say, Texas.  The crowds are just too much, even in slow times.  But such an undertaking would likely be way more expensive than they'd be willing to risk without a partner, as they've done in other countries.  And besides, if they're raking in cash hand over fist by jacking up prices and cutting costs, why bother with a new park?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #281 on: February 11, 2022, 01:44:05 PM »
Agreed that the lines are longer and the prices are higher. Getting food requires planning at a level that would challenge a Chess master.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #282 on: February 11, 2022, 07:11:22 PM »
Do you have a Lottery fantasy?
I think, if we're honest, we're all animalistic enough to be curious about how it feels to stone someone to death.
But I'd rather pick the person myself. Amirite?  Using a lottery just seems ... impersonal.

WTF.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #283 on: February 11, 2022, 09:18:09 PM »
I think, if we're honest, we're all animalistic enough to be curious about how it feels to stone someone to death.
But I'd rather pick the person myself. Amirite?  Using a lottery just seems ... impersonal.

WTF.

References: The Lottery by Shirley Jackson
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1948/06/26/the-lottery

Apparently, a popular reading in US schools.
 I remember this story from about 1977 ??7th grade???

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #284 on: February 11, 2022, 09:24:08 PM »
If I won a lot of money ($100M+), which I never would because I don't really play any lottery with jackpots that large:
1. Sewers for poor folks in the black belt.
2. My very own Canadian trucker style anti-stroad protests, but with concrete barriers instead of trucks.
3. Voter registration/mobilization drives in states that like to disenfranchise people.

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #285 on: February 12, 2022, 07:09:46 AM »

WTF.

Was also referenced in a Simpson's episode by the same name, according to wikipedia.

I feel like maybe there’s a vague recollection of it for me. But I also remember A Modest Proposal, but not from reading it, but rather a friend talking about it, so could be similar.

If I won big, I would like to get involved in some high school programs and be able to provide full scholarships to students who demonstrate certain characteristics. I would also do a full remodel of the house and add some very specific features myself. And certainly widen our charitable donation program immensely. I’d also try to self fund a trail extension to make the last half mile to my neighborhood to make it safer to get to.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: February 12, 2022, 07:29:59 AM »
I'm fascinated with the example of the millionaire who transformed one place:  Tangelo Park, Florida

https://www.today.com/news/millionaire-uses-fortune-help-kids-struggling-town-1C9373666

He's made a lasting difference in that area.  (although to me, this is what all U.S. towns and cities could do with decent state and federal tax levels - use that money for social services and infrastructure). 

For myself, I'm like Amy D. - I prefer to give charity money to younger children and the elderly as they are the 2 groups least likely to be able to change their own situation.   Which means instead of focusing on college scholarships, focus on the pre-K level and give children and young families as much help as possible to give them a strong physical and mental foundation. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #287 on: February 12, 2022, 08:34:23 AM »

WTF.

As I got closer and closer to the age of 18, I can assure you my biggest lottery fantasy was not to win the biggest lottery in the nation.

And I, in fact, won it.

The war ended and selective service stopped taking draft registrations for 18 months, with my 18th birthday solidly in the middle.

As they said in the movie Wargames, "The only way to win is not to play."

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: February 12, 2022, 09:17:50 AM »

WTF.

Was also referenced in a Simpson's episode by the same name, according to wikipedia.

I feel like maybe there’s a vague recollection of it for me. But I also remember A Modest Proposal, but not from reading it, but rather a friend talking about it, so could be similar.

If I won big, I would like to get involved in some high school programs and be able to provide full scholarships to students who demonstrate certain characteristics. I would also do a full remodel of the house and add some very specific features myself. And certainly widen our charitable donation program immensely. I’d also try to self fund a trail extension to make the last half mile to my neighborhood to make it safer to get to.

I remember that short story. If only stoning people to death remained a fantasy. But no, people are actually being stoned to death in this day and age. Example: this 2020 incident. So I find it incredibly distasteful when someone idly talks about being curious about stoning someone to death.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #289 on: February 12, 2022, 09:19:18 AM »
Ha! I kinda feel like I won the lottery when I got married for the first time at age 54. I immediately retired. Couple of months later, a dream house I'd fantasized about years before came on the market as a short sale and we paid cash for it. Now I have time to volunteer and do big, important projects in my community. I am livin' the dream, no need to waste money on lottery tickets, lol.
Hmm, I like the idea of looking back at my original response. Yawn. Looks like nothing has changed.

Well, there is something. DH is about to inherit a winning lottery ticket-type amount of money. We're already FI. He is set to retire in the next month or so, irrespective of the inheritance. Not sure if it will change anything. I guess I can update again in another five or six years...

Still no actual lottery tickets purchased.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #290 on: February 12, 2022, 09:22:48 AM »

WTF.

I remember that short story. If only stoning people to death remained a fantasy. But no, people are actually being stoned to death in this day and age. Example: this 2020 incident. So I find it incredibly distasteful when someone idly talks about being curious about stoning someone to death.
100% agree. I have always hated that story. The fact that it actually happens IRL (because stones are cheap and ignorance and hatred are plentiful) is horrendous and absolutely nothing to joke about. Not funny.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #291 on: February 12, 2022, 12:57:33 PM »
I don't play at all, so the odd of winning for me are only slightly less than those who do actually buy a ticket. 

But, if I won, I'd probably give all of my friends and family two million dollars each.  That should be enough to pay off any and all debt, pay of their houses and basically set them up so they don't have to work anymore if they don't want to. 

Assuming that's about 100 people, that means $200m is gone.  I'd keep enough of the money to live comfortably and be able to travel, but not at crazy expensive levels.  The rest of the $$ I'd probably use to try to make my local city (Denver) better.  Donating to fund more changes in making the city more walkable and biker/pedestrian friendly.  It's already doing some things like that already, but a lot of $$ from a motivated donor would push things along more quickly.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #292 on: February 12, 2022, 01:42:18 PM »
I find it incredibly distasteful when someone idly talks about being curious about stoning someone to death.
I'd thought that by quoting the context of "fantasy" and referring to stoning as "animalistic", that "stoning is bad, especially in the real world" would be read in the text, leaving only the mild surprise and humor of the change in reference/meaning of "Lottery".  The story is very widely read in junior highs, so I thought the risk of offense would be low.  Perhaps I was wrong.

If I have offended, then I plead:

I'm sorry Ms. Jackson (oh), I am for real
Never meant to make the forum cry
I apologize a trillion times
One way humans deal with the perfectly awful things in life is with black humor.

Stoning in real life is certainly an awful thing. Referencing a super well--known short story, an American classic, about the same in a joking manner seems entirely reasonable to me. I don’t expect everyone to have the same reactions to things, though.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #293 on: February 17, 2022, 03:39:27 PM »
Assuming massive winnings, I would:

- Quit my job
- Buy a house with an ocean view, but high enough above the ocean that I wouldn't have to worry about sea level rise
- Buy a Rivian R1S for myself, and whatever kind of vehicle DH wanted (probably a Rivian R1T)
- Buy houses for my mom and MIL
- Set up a college scholarship fund for all my nieces and nephews
- Take my whole extended family on a nice vacation
- Set aside enough that DH could live on without having to really budget ($5M?)
- Donate the rest to charity

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #294 on: February 17, 2022, 03:53:56 PM »
Random funny story about the lottery:

This involves four people I went to high school with — all of whom were dicks in general, and two of them to me in particular. Two men, two women. They coupled up, the couples got married. They were all best friends.

Then the woman in Couple A ended up winning the lottery.

I ran into a friend of one of them in the line to renew my driver’s license a few years later. She told me that the woman from couple A and the man from couple B started having a secret affair. Unbeknownst to them, the man from couple A and the woman from couple B also started having an affair.

Turned out, both members of couple B were angling to get some of that sweet, sweet lottery money.

The marriages blew up. But then eventually, so did the affair relationships. All hell broke loose in a giant explosion of greed, infidelity, and general materialistic grossness.

Last I heard, all four were mortal enemies. The divorces were bitter, expensive as hell, and kind of ruined all of their lives.

So, yeah. I don’t really have a lottery fantasy.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #295 on: February 17, 2022, 04:17:38 PM »
Oh man. What would I do?

- Nothing until the money has cleared in my account, then move it to a few (!) HYSA while I think about it.
- Quit my job.
- Take an extended "my-ass-on-the-sand" vacation, probably in the South Pacific (Tahiti!).
- Give enough money to my sister that she can retire, buy a home wherever she wants and finish cash-flowing her kids' college ed.
- Give enough money to her kids so they can also buy a home wherever they want and not have to worry about money too much. Would probably set that up in trusts and spread it across a few years after they graduate college.
- Give money to my parents so my Mom can stop worrying about it, even though she probably doesn't need to worry as much as she does. Also make sure they can keep their house as long as they can navigate the stairs, so take care of all extra maintenance.
- (maybe) Buy a home somewhere in the US. I do like Seattle. Or maybe permanently move back to my home country. Choices, man.
- Buy a house with a view of the Mediterranean Sea. As close to it as I can find.
- Buy a small Tesla lol.
- Probably give some money to a few close friends.
- Invest whatever's I think I might need to live on for the next 50 years, in the most boring way possible (3-funds portfolio + cash). I should probably explore trusts and all that stuff? I have no idea how wealth management works.
- Over time, visit some countries I've always wanted to go to (Australia, New Zealand, South Asia,  Iceland. Whatever), with my sister and my parents.
- Donate the rest to charity.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #296 on: February 17, 2022, 07:56:59 PM »
Random funny story about the lottery:

This involves four people I went to high school with — all of whom were dicks in general, and two of them to me in particular. Two men, two women. They coupled up, the couples got married. They were all best friends.

Then the woman in Couple A ended up winning the lottery.

I ran into a friend of one of them in the line to renew my driver’s license a few years later. She told me that the woman from couple A and the man from couple B started having a secret affair. Unbeknownst to them, the man from couple A and the woman from couple B also started having an affair.

Turned out, both members of couple B were angling to get some of that sweet, sweet lottery money.

The marriages blew up. But then eventually, so did the affair relationships. All hell broke loose in a giant explosion of greed, infidelity, and general materialistic grossness.

Last I heard, all four were mortal enemies. The divorces were bitter, expensive as hell, and kind of ruined all of their lives.

So, yeah. I don’t really have a lottery fantasy.

The couple across the street from my parents won $10M in a slot machine in a casino in Tunica MS.   
Nice middle class couple.  My wife and I met them at my parent's house several times before this happened.

They had a septic tank business that was struggling under some debt.  Paid off all their debts, set aside enough to live on, gave the business to their son along with some money, and also gave some money to their daughter.

Wife got all hoighty-toighty and starting hanging out with "the important people" in the metro area.   She divorced her husband because he wasn't playing the high society social climbing game with her.     Those folks could recognize a mark.   She bought a bunch of stuff on credit and then lost the rest in bad investments as they milked her dry like the naive cash cow she was.   She lost everything including her new mansion.

Husband started drinking and passed out in the driveway one winter evening and died of hypothermia overnight.   

Son hired his buddies at inflated wages, didn't pay attention to the business, and ran it into the ground.   Spent all his money and lost his house -- the one that was already fully paid for before this whole situation started!  Wowza!  He, too, lost everything.

Daughter was the only one to keep her wits about her.   Bought another (modest) house for her mom to live in but kept the deed in her own name because mom wasn't over her bad case of stupids yet.

A huge injection of money into the hands of people who aren't mentally and emotionally ready for it is not necessarily a great thing.   This family self-destructed.

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #297 on: February 18, 2022, 05:28:34 AM »

- Probably give some money to a few close friends.

I feel like this would be one of the tougher minefields to navigate. Firm boundaries while still sharing good fortune.

There was that linked post somewhere with some good guidance. One was to decide how much, commit to it, but make very clear it’s a one time payment.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #298 on: February 18, 2022, 09:06:02 AM »

WTF.

Hmmm.

I've never heard of the book 'The Lottery' but read the comment above and was like, "Yeah . . . I guess we are all curious about that!"

:P

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #299 on: February 18, 2022, 09:52:36 AM »
Assuming massive winnings, I would:

- Buy houses for my mom and MIL

Maybe too many people focus on winning the lottery themselves, and too few of us focus on raising children who--when they win the lottery--will buy us a place to live?