Author Topic: Discover has officially jumped the shark  (Read 5339 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Discover has officially jumped the shark
« on: February 28, 2014, 10:18:10 AM »
I often get offers from my credit card companies.  I know I should opt out, but lets put that aside for now.  Usually they are pretty generic.  But I just got one from Discover that made me do a double-take.  It looks like it's straight from "Uncle Bob's Fly-By-Night Loans LLC."

A reasonable facsimile can be found here: http://tweetmeharder.com/post/333254407/jmh1

Highlights:

Mine also had something that looked like this:

☑ Immediate reply required
☐ Read and file

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Discover has officially jumped the shark
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »
That's OK, it allows them to keep paying me 5% rewards and cashing them in for discounted Lowe's cards.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 11:14:47 AM »
That's OK, it allows them to keep paying me 5% rewards and cashing them in for discounted Lowe's cards.

That reminds me, I had some crappy version that only gave "up to 1%" on "other purchases."  But if you ask they will switch you to "discover it" which is exactly 1% on "other purchases." 

Also they have a lot of cool card designs that you can choose for free online.

I used to only use Discover for the 5% categories but I may start carrying it all the time.  I noticed that more places take it now, despite it's inevitable demise in the far future:

Fry: "Do you take Visa?"
Clerk: "Visa hasn't existed for five hundred years."
Fry: "American Express?"
Clerk: "Six hundred years."
Fry: "Discover Card?"
Clerk: "Hmm...sorry, we don't take Discover."

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 09:24:21 PM »

HA!

Back a few years ago, when I was leeching money as if I had a positive net worth worthy of Bruce Wayne, I did have several cards where I was just making the min payments.  But my credit was good and things were awesome, so Discover sent me an offer.  Gave me a 0% interest for 24 months on 9k of debt.  HAHAHAHA!

I paid it all off in 18.  The accounts are open for credit purposes, but only discover is in my wallet.  I charge groceries, our gym membership, and any splurges to it, and pay it off that month.  Then I get nice options for using my cashback on amazon for tools and clothing.

Eventually once I am sure my wife has no way of charging $1000 worth of hot dogs and cokes (I will post that story one day....) I might look for a proper rewards card.