Author Topic: Discover 101 ways to spend the kids' inheritance  (Read 3789 times)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
Discover 101 ways to spend the kids' inheritance
« on: February 13, 2017, 12:08:41 PM »
I'm speechless, and the grammar is terrible. British Airways... Bless their hearts.

boyerbt

• Bristles
Re: Discover 101 ways to spend the kids' inheritance
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 02:17:52 PM »
This seems like it could be a good thread about advertisements that have terrible financial wisdom to them.

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 11:24:51 PM »
A good friend of mine calls it Spend-Kids-Inheritance-ing  or SKI-ing.  In this situation he is the kid, FIL/MIL are retired.  The conversation goes something like this.

Friend: FIL just bought a new camper, like 80 large.
Me: Wow.
Friend: Yeah that MF'r SKI-ing bitch is at it again.
Me: bwahaha

This friend is actually quite mustachian and we talk about MMM all the time, but the SKI-ing FIL/MIL never stops and the joke never gets old!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 01:41:10 AM »
This seems like it could be a good thread about advertisements that have terrible financial wisdom to them.

Isn't that the point of most advertising?

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 06:06:24 AM »
Doesn't happen often that a company spends money to keep you from spending money.

Although tbh, as long as I'm not dead it's my money and should I ever catch my children talking about my money as if it's already theirs, they'll be disinherited on the spot.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 06:18:41 AM »

I don't believe so. In my opinion the point of advertising is for a company to attempt to persuade people into spending money on something or a service.

What I meant by my original comment was to start a thread where the actual advertisement is a ridiculous example of spending money "just because". The example of the first post where British Airways is stating that people should spend their kids inheritance to visit London. 

The one that sticks in my mind is an Experian radio commercial with the tagline, "Credit isn't a number, it's a skill".

FIT_Goat

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 07:36:55 PM »
Doesn't happen often that a company spends money to keep you from spending money.

Although tbh, as long as I'm not dead it's my money and should I ever catch my children talking about my money as if it's already theirs, they'll be disinherited on the spot.

I don't have much money for my son to talk about, yet, but I totally agree with this.  I plan on raising him to build his own wealth and not be reliant on me or my wife.  I am going to do my best to give him what he needs to get on the right path and become his own independent self.  Then, when he's doing well enough to not need me, I won't need to worry about leaving him some massive inheritance.  Sure, I am trying to have enough money that I don't come close to spending the principal down, and he'll end up with a nice bonus when I go.  That's not what I want him depending on.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 12:54:25 AM »

I don't have much money for my son to talk about, yet, but I totally agree with this.  I plan on raising him to build his own wealth and not be reliant on me or my wife.  I am going to do my best to give him what he needs to get on the right path and become his own independent self.  Then, when he's doing well enough to not need me, I won't need to worry about leaving him some massive inheritance.  Sure, I am trying to have enough money that I don't come close to spending the principal down, and he'll end up with a nice bonus when I go.  That's not what I want him depending on.
I agree. Give the kid skills and motivations that will lead them to never need someone else's money. I have zero problems giving my kid large sums of money, even before I die, but I do believe it is important that they are able to function well with or without it.