Author Topic: Dipping Into Your 401K for Super Bowl Tickets  (Read 7844 times)

imustachemystash

• Bristles
Dipping Into Your 401K for Super Bowl Tickets
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:15:36 PM »
Yikes!  I just saw on the news that someone took 5K out of his 401K to go to the Super Bowl.  Now, I haven't missed a Seahawks game the entire season, however, I would be happier at home with friends and some great snacks.

JR

• Stubble
Re: Dipping Into Your 401K for Super Bowl Tickets
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:18:05 PM »
He should take out another $5k to pay for beer and food while he is at the game.

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:15:30 PM »
Okay, that has to be one of the worst.....

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 08:55:08 PM »
That is ridiculous.

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 02:51:04 PM »
Go Pats!!!  (ducks and covers head)

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 04:00:43 PM »
Yikes. I also heard on the radio about someone making a GoFundMe account for SB tickets.

Also, go Seahawks!

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 04:12:18 PM »
Yeah, I'm fine watching from my couch with friends and great food.  It would be fun to go someday but I don't think I could ever justify the cost....

Go Seahawks!

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 05:19:14 PM »
I think $5K is a great deal on a Superb Owl, I would totally dip into my retirement account to buy one.

Wait, what are you guys talking about?

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 05:56:27 PM »
Priorities. 

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 06:21:44 PM »
Considering what others have done when dipping into their 401K this almost does not seem that bad....

frugaljo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 10:53:26 PM »
maybe worth dipping in to buy if your buy at original price of of around $300 and sell for $4000 and throw it all back into your 401k :)

DrowsyBee

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 02:47:34 AM »
I agree with everyone here on the fact that....who would ever dip into their 401k to pay for Superbowl tickets to see Seahawks v Patriots....

But really, I'm Australian and its on my bucket list to go to a Superbowl one day, as well as a World Cup. As long as they aren't going every year, it could be all right! (But really they shouldn't be borrowing from a 401k and should just save up first)

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 08:54:45 AM »
He does know that the game's on TV, right? 

JR

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 11:40:03 AM »

He could have purchased a huge TV for $5,000.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 11:43:27 AM »

He could have purchased a huge TV for $5,000.

I got an email this morning from the appliance store we got our fridge from (bought a house w/o one and got a floor model!)...

Is your TV too small to watch the big game!?

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 01:13:18 PM »
Man, I'm a diehard Hawks fan and have been going to games since I was a little kid, I also used to work at the Kingdome and then Century Link field as well as Safeco Field.  However, I actually haven't been to a game in a couple of years because the price of tickets has skyrocketed so much. I remember when you could go and sit for like $30.  I'd much rather be at home with friends and family having a blast.  We are having a bunch of people over for the Superbowl and have so much blue and green themed food it's crazy!  I can't wait!  I know 2 people who are at the Superbowl and just can't imagine how many thousands they are spending... I can see them just fine from my TV!  I was just telling my sales partner at work that a couple of years ago I went all out on a trip to Vegas for my 30th birthday, I felt like I was in super luxury doing whatever I wanted... and the WHOLE thing still cost less than it would cost to go to the Superbowl!!!

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 08:01:06 AM »
I don't understand why anyone goes to NFL games.  Even the best seats have views that barely rival the TV, and the best seats cost hundreds or thousands of dollars.

I would love to go to a game at some point in my life, but I never will unless it's comped somehow or I get tickets on fire sale.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 08:27:06 AM »
I actually got to see a Super Bowl for free--my boyfriend-at-the-time's mother won the trip in Atlantic City and gave it to us since both of us were football fanatics.  This was Super Bowl 28 in Atlanta.  We got airfare, hotel, tickets to the game (obviously) and a few meals.  The only things I paid for were a couple of adult beverages here and there.  Even back in 1994 the tickets were $250 apiece so I can only imagine what they are now.  I'll also add that if you like free stuff go to a Super Bowl because you will get a TON.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 08:37:16 AM »
Gotta keep in mind that you go to events such as these for the atmosphere more so than just watching. Growing up I liked professional wrestling and one of my buddies' dad got us tickets to WCW Nitro when it was in town, we had tickets on the aisle where the wrestling walk down so had plenty of handshakes with everyone, including the Nitro Girls. It was an absolute blast!

Plus it's not often that you get to see Kirby Puckett and John Randall stare down the Commissioner! This was one of my favorite nights of my childhood and it was a memory that I won't forget.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 08:40:08 AM »
I blew my opportunity to see my team play and win a Super Bowl.  January, 1985, game in Palo Alto.  I had been to about half the regular season 49er games , and the NFC Championship game but came up empty for SB tix.  Ended up watching at a sports bar in Fremont where if you could have climbed up on the roof, you could have seen the lights of the stadium.  Montana vs Marino.
Face value of the tickets were $50...and scalpers wanted $200 leading up to the game.  On Monday, spoke to another season ticket holder who went to the game.  He said he could have bought any number of game tickets at the stadium for $50 face value on the walk into the game!  I kick myself now and no way would I drop todays $$$ on seeing a SB.  Glad I had my NFL season tickets in the 80's too when prices were still sane.

ILoveMyBlondeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 08:44:42 AM »
I don't understand why anyone goes to NFL games.  Even the best seats have views that barely rival the TV, and the best seats cost hundreds or thousands of dollars.

I would love to go to a game at some point in my life, but I never will unless it's comped somehow or I get tickets on fire sale.

If you're a Packer fan and ever go to Lambeau field...you will understand in that moment why people go to these games.  There's nothing like it!!  I'm a complete cheap-ass for most things but when it comes to my Packers...if tickets are available at a somewhat justifiable price, I'm there.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 08:55:27 AM »
If you're a Packer fan and ever go to Lambeau field...you will understand in that moment why people go to these games.  There's nothing like it!!  I'm a complete cheap-ass for most things but when it comes to my Packers...if tickets are available at a somewhat justifiable price, I'm there.

Lambeau Field is on my bucket list!

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 09:08:01 AM »
Yikes!  I just saw on the news that someone took 5K out of his 401K to go to the Super Bowl.  Now, I haven't missed a Seahawks game the entire season, however, I would be happier at home with friends and some great snacks.

I sure hope he borrowed the money from his 401K.   That is, after all,  one of the listed benefits of a 401k,  that you can borrow money from yourself.     I also hope he actually got the tickets.   I read about ticket brokers who sold tickets they didn't own (short sell) and then told the buyers "sorry" when they couldn't cover their short at a profit. 

surfhb

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 09:53:30 AM »

I sure hope he borrowed the money from his 401K.   That is, after all,  one of the listed benefits of a 401k,  that you can borrow money from yourself.     I also hope he actually got the tickets.   I read about ticket brokers who sold tickets they didn't own (short sell) and then told the buyers "sorry" when they couldn't cover their short at a profit.

Hmmm....let's be clear.....borrowing money from your retirement is probably the worst decision anyone can make!   

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 10:46:01 AM »

Hmmm....let's be clear.....borrowing money from your retirement is probably the worst decision anyone can make!

Lets be even more clear... it depends on what you do with the money you are borrowing from your 401k.  It's not always a bad decision.  Buying super bowl tickets? Yes. Paying off high interest credit card debt? No.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 02:27:19 PM »

DH is from outside Green Bay and we went on a Lambeau tour when we visited over the holidays.  Even being there when it was mostly empty was SUPER COOL!  We got to go through the tunnel and stand on the sideline and a whole bunch of other stuff.  It was a Christmas present from his mom and probably my favorite thing about our visit haha.  Hopefully we'll get to go to an actual game someday :D 

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 03:01:21 PM »
YOLO! (said dripping in sarcasm)

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »

I'm a Wisconsinite, so I know the draw, but I just can't make myself do it.