Author Topic: DigiTours - Exploiting the Hormones of Teen Girls for Cash  (Read 7857 times)

TexasStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenhuet/2015/05/07/digitour-teen-vine-youtube-stars-hayes-grier-aaron-carpenter/

There is so much fail in this article that I hardly know where to begin. Parents spending $100+ to take their teen daughters to meet and greet with teen boys who are social media stars? We are about to have a daughter, and I have no plans to take her to one of these events when she is older.

I feel bad for everyone except the organizers. The teen boys who are paraded around like meat have some choice in this, but they are teen boys after all. And yet their normal teenage years are hijacked for fame and fortune. And I will definitely be using such things as teaching moments for my daughter about how worshipping another person is toxic and dangerous. We will definitely talk about how social media presents only the good side of everyone else.

It is also sad that these kids don't have any talent in the traditional sense. Though I would not invite my daughter to worship them regardless.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: DigiTours - Exploiting the Hormones of Teen Girls for Cash
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 04:35:07 PM »

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 06:24:37 PM »
We live in a very strange world these days.  People become celebrities for posting Vine videos -- six second videos.  People make a living broadcasting themselves playing video games on Twitch -- and kids will actually sit there for hours and watch other people play the games.  People will give other people money simply for being attractive and posting photos on Instagram.  It really feels like the entire world has become brain damaged or something.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 06:40:01 PM »
Stupid, but really no different than the engineered boy bands and such that have been around for decades. These guys may not be talented with music, but they are talented with connecting through the social media platform. But then, I wouldn't pay for my kid to go to one of these tours or to see a boy band on stage.

As for the video game play through -- I'm recently guilty of this one. The husband and I watched one for the Deadpool game the other night, while consuming copious amounts of hard cider. We have no intention of buying the game, but we did laugh ourselves stupid at Deadpool's famous one liners. Free entertainment!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 07:56:12 AM »
The teen boys who are paraded around like meat have some choice in this, but they are teen boys after all.

Somehow, I suspect "getting paid to meet a bunch of teenage girls who think they're hot shit" didn't take much convincing for the boys involved...

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 08:46:37 AM »
We live in a very strange world these days.  People become celebrities for posting Vine videos -- six second videos.  People make a living broadcasting themselves playing video games on Twitch -- and kids will actually sit there for hours and watch other people play the games.  People will give other people money simply for being attractive and posting photos on Instagram.  It really feels like the entire world has become brain damaged or something.
Adults will sit there and watch other people play games too, even shit as dull as baseball. Sometimes it's fun to watch people really good at a thing you like compete against each other.

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 10:21:59 AM »
The idea of "social media" fame is perplexing, but I'm an oldie.

That said, it's one of the new means of celebrity and it's not all that fundamentally different than some of the old means of celebrity. Earlier generations (and current generations) worship movie stars, music stars, sports stars, political stars, etc. And only a fraction of those "stars" has more talent at their chosen profession than the average amateur doing the same thing (sports is hardest to fake talent... the others it's pretty easy).

It's not unhealthy for teen girls to idolize teen boys (and vice versa). It's a baby step towards real romantic relationships that follow sometime thereafter. Most of the time, it's harmless. And it can be a healthy way to channel raging hormones.

Obviously paying to have your child engage with the object of her affection is a different subject. I don't see what is ultimately wrong with doing something special for your son or daughter on their birthday or every once in awhile--spending within your personal budget. That could mean buying concert tickets and/or meet and greet passes for her favorite band or singer; getting her great tickets for her favorite sporting event; or taking her to a comicon to meet her favorite geeky heroes (and paying $25 for that autograph). That's not all that different than a parent buying a child an opportunity to meet her favorite social media star. We may not understand the appeal of these guys, but this is an experience, not a thing. I am much more apt to spend money on an experience than a thing, because it tends to bring more pleasure in the long run. When these girls are 30 years old, looking back on the day their parents got them backstage passes to meet some guy from Vine, they will look back with fondness, bemusement or embarrassment. But they will probably think of it and smile, in any event.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 10:26:04 AM »
Adults will sit there and watch other people play games too, even shit as dull as baseball. Sometimes it's fun to watch people really good at a thing you like compete against each other.

I'm slowly learning and getting better about this. I used to love to watch all kinds of sports, didn't really matter which (exception being baseball). Now I only really watch them if I'm with friends, the only exception being football, but last year I didn't watch nearly as much as I have in the past so I'm progressing. It's just great not to care about millionaires competing against other millionaires in the interest of their respective billionaire owners.

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 11:48:39 AM »

I'm slowly learning and getting better about this. I used to love to watch all kinds of sports, didn't really matter which (exception being baseball). Now I only really watch them if I'm with friends, the only exception being football, but last year I didn't watch nearly as much as I have in the past so I'm progressing. It's just great not to care about millionaires competing against other millionaires in the interest of their respective billionaire owners.

The millionaires vs. millionaires thing is why I like college sports a lot better. The kids are playing for something (sometimes it's a dream to play professionally; other times it's just for the love of the game). There are a lot fewer spoiled players in the locker room and a lot more players willing to put in their all for very little to no reward (which brings up a whole other topic, but I won't get into that).

The problem with college sports, however, is that you can't get it through Netflix or Amazon Prime. :-/

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 11:55:50 AM »
[
We are about to have a daughter, and I have no plans to take her to one of these events when she is older.

And I will definitely be using such things as teaching moments for my daughter about how worshipping another person is toxic and dangerous. We will definitely talk about how social media presents only the good side of everyone else.

I read this and hear my BIL's voice circa 2000 as *NSYNC fever raged and my sister was pregnant with my youngest niece.  "No way I would pay that much money for my kid to see a whiny boy band.  It's all fake anyway.  Half of them are probably drug addicts."

Fast forward fourteen years, when BIL proudly posts on Facebook the moment Youngest Niece and her friend open a Christmas present ... and shriek with joy when they discover One Direction concert tickets inside the box.  And yes, he went with them.  I busted his chops for MONTHS.

As a former tween/teen girl I can assure you that when your daughter gets to that age there will be a guy or an act with whom she WILL become obsessed; it's been that way since the heyday of Rudy Vallee.  Yeah, it's weird that now a kid can put up a six-second video and be the idol of millions but there's the modern media for you.  And as strange as this may sound, when she finds out that her idol has feet of clay--or worse, a steady girlfriend or a wife--it'll teach her the lesson you want her to learn. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 12:27:27 PM »

The millionaires vs. millionaires thing is why I like college sports a lot better. The kids are playing for something (sometimes it's a dream to play professionally; other times it's just for the love of the game). There are a lot fewer spoiled players in the locker room and a lot more players willing to put in their all for very little to no reward (which brings up a whole other topic, but I won't get into that).

The problem with college sports, however, is that you can't get it through Netflix or Amazon Prime. :-/

Yup! I don't have cable and so if I ever watch sports on my own it is when it's on ABC or CBS. That said, come August, I likely will be excited for Michigan football and might venture back towards watching.

TexasStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 03:10:27 PM »
[
We are about to have a daughter, and I have no plans to take her to one of these events when she is older.

And I will definitely be using such things as teaching moments for my daughter about how worshipping another person is toxic and dangerous. We will definitely talk about how social media presents only the good side of everyone else.

I read this and hear my BIL's voice circa 2000 as *NSYNC fever raged and my sister was pregnant with my youngest niece.  "No way I would pay that much money for my kid to see a whiny boy band.  It's all fake anyway.  Half of them are probably drug addicts."

Fast forward fourteen years, when BIL proudly posts on Facebook the moment Youngest Niece and her friend open a Christmas present ... and shriek with joy when they discover One Direction concert tickets inside the box.  And yes, he went with them.  I busted his chops for MONTHS.

As a former tween/teen girl I can assure you that when your daughter gets to that age there will be a guy or an act with whom she WILL become obsessed; it's been that way since the heyday of Rudy Vallee.  Yeah, it's weird that now a kid can put up a six-second video and be the idol of millions but there's the modern media for you.  And as strange as this may sound, when she finds out that her idol has feet of clay--or worse, a steady girlfriend or a wife--it'll teach her the lesson you want her to learn.

Even when I wrote those words, I did wonder whether I would go back on that one. And it's entirely possible I will if the pleading gets strong enough. But I classify going to a concert different than a completely contrived meet and greet (yes, a One Direction concert would have plenty that's contrived, but not as much as making someone who isn't a singer perform songs, like this article suggests). At least we know Justin Timberlake could sing and perform. I wouldn't mind at all if my daughter wanted to go to a concert, even if I had no interest. I've seen worse collections of talent with my sister, and I actually had a decent time.

At least boy bands had to prove themselves to a media executive of some kind... social media is the ultimate "famous for being famous" outlet.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 03:37:45 PM »
I say the following about 20 times a day: "Thank God we have boys."

Laura

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 07:24:53 PM »
This new idea of social media fame is so fascinating to me. The biggest way it is different is just because these people who get famous on Youtube, Vine, or Instagram often do not have a tangible "talent" (singer, dancer, actor, etc) that we were all previously so used to seeing with people who became famous during previous generations. People these days can literally just get famous because of their good looks and personality.

I watch many, many youtubers though and follow many people on instagram. I'm not crazy obsessed with them in the way a teen girl is crazy obsessed with them, but these are people that I follow and watch their videos and like their pictures on a regular basis. Just because I like them as people.

Also I will admit that I was obsessed with N'sync when I was a teenage girl. Obsessed. So, the teenage girl obsession is a very real thing and social media these days just allows these girls to feel closer to their idols. My parents never paid for front row seats or meet and greet passes, but they did buy me tickets for two N'sync concerts and a Justin Timberlake concert! So, I understand that parents would pay for tickets for their children to meet people who they admire. And I cannot blame these boys for going along with it and making their fans happy and being able to make a lot of money just because they're hot.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 07:29:09 PM »
I would argue the observed talent of many "famous" groups in the past wasn't much past their looks.

It's not that hard to auto tune someone who looks good.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 07:10:49 AM »
Just when I thought my opinion of US culture couldn't go any lower, I'm reminded of how shallow our youth and their parents are. Guess I wasn't too much different with my tiger beat magazines, but at least my parents di buy them for me.
I'm officially old because I won't even click to find out what these boys are famous for. I guess "old" means I have better things to do with my time. :).

TexasStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 07:42:51 AM »
Just when I thought my opinion of US culture couldn't go any lower, I'm reminded of how shallow our youth and their parents are. Guess I wasn't too much different with my tiger beat magazines, but at least my parents di buy them for me.
I'm officially old because I won't even click to find out what these boys are famous for. I guess "old" means I have better things to do with my time. :).

The art of being selective with your time and attention is a good one to cultivate! I too do not have interest in finding out what they are famous for.

Laura

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 07:04:44 PM »

The phenomenon of the teen heartthrob truly isn't specific to US culture though. For example, Brazil and Malaysia are known to be crazy about US pop stars. Teen heartthrobs (Justin Bieber, One Direction) travel the world touring because they have massive amounts of crazy and dedicated fans in all parts of the world, not just the US. There have been youtubers who have gone on tours and done meetups in other parts of the world, and I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced an international version of this Digitour soon, because these cute boys have followers all over the world.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 10:00:24 AM »
I teach high school girls, and I've never heard of such an event.