Author Topic: Dichotomy  (Read 4804 times)

forward

• Stubble
Dichotomy
« on: November 02, 2012, 11:17:24 AM »

Below is a quote from an article in the New York Times.  I am saddened and concerned for the affected areas - its good to see people getting on bikes.  Wait a minute - what was his job!?!

"Thomas Jarrels, 46, who biked home to Crown Heights from his job as a sous-chef at a Midtown law firm, said he was glad to have had an impetus to bike to work."

SpendyMcSpend

• Bristles
Re: Dichotomy
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 12:50:48 PM »
Sous-chef.  A lot of very large law firms have in-house cafeterias to sell to employees and to make client meals when they are here for a whole weekend or all night or whatever.  It's not like he's fixing fancy stuff.  Just ravioli, salmon, chicken with sides.  Things like that.  He probably makes at least $35k a year plus overtime for events/late-night client shifts.  And it's a great work environment.  At our firm, you can often select your own meals you want to make.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:52:35 PM by Meadow »

c

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 10:12:28 AM »
My company also has an in-house restaurant/cafeteria for employees. We have a sushi chef, kosher, baker etc. They also do all their catering in-house.

It takes a lot to run a large firm, so there are all sorts of different jobs available within one.

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »

I just wonder about all those people using the firms chef, they may be better off bringing a lunch, but I suppose the firm subsidizes most of the cost.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 01:12:47 PM »

I just wonder about all those people using the firms chef, they may be better off bringing a lunch, but I suppose the firm subsidizes most of the cost.

I worked at a large company, once, that subsidized the cafeteria as an employee benefit. Was nice (not a law firm.)

Some of my friends have worked at companies that provide dinner for free, if you are working late at the office.  In those professions where 12-16 hour days are the norm, I guess that's probably the most efficient set up. Saves the army of take-out delivery people streaming into the building at dinner time every night!

Spelling edit.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 08:29:48 AM »
I worked at a large company, once, that subsidized the cafeteria as an employee benefit. Was nice (not a law firm.)......

......In those professions where 12-16 hour days are the norm, I guess that's probably the most efficient set up.

These two things go hand in hand....if a company provides services such as these it is generally because they don't expect you to leave....this is not a perk, it is servitude.   The exception might be for HQs with 1000s of people located out in nowhere. 

EngGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »
I'm with a mid sized engineering company and after one of our managers had a heart attack at his desk, the company decided to start a health campaign. We got a small gym, 25% discounts at the local bike shop, AND a never ending fruit bowl in the lunch room. They stock the fruit bowl with exotic (read expensive) fruits every day. I make the most of this, and unashamedly stash the "Friday leftovers" every weekend.

Got to make the most of the "perks" of being an engineering drone. 

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »

Below is a quote from an article in the New York Times.  I am saddened and concerned for the affected areas - its good to see people getting on bikes.  Wait a minute - what was his job!?!

Sous-chef: They are the assistant to the head chef, like an assistant manager. Larger, fancy places use this terminology.

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 02:57:13 PM »
My wife's tech firm provides lunches everyday and dinner Monday-Thursday. They also provide maid service to the home of their staff. It's a very common perk here.

Not every where is it about long hours either. This firm gets techs from all over the country; it's totally a team building social time. Dinner doesn't lead to more work, it leads to board games and politics. :)