Author Topic: Destroy your business instantly  (Read 272831 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Destroy your business instantly
« on: January 15, 2015, 12:44:36 PM »
So a used car dealership ordered pizza, gave the driver the amount plus extra and then called to demand it back. When he returns, they were nasty to him and thinking that they were geniuses, posted it online. Now that it has gone viral, they look like idiots.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2015/01/14/westport-car-dealership-messes-with-pizza-delivery-guy-feels-internet-wrath/zXO7rV6jreriD63xG0bj5L/story.html

Ashyukun

• Bristles
Re: Destroy your business instantly
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 12:49:21 PM »
To be fair- I'm sure they looked like idiots before it went viral as well...

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 01:02:05 PM »
The driver handled that well.  What a bunch of dicks. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 01:42:37 PM »
The driver handled that well.  What a bunch of dicks.

+1.  What a classy guy.  Totally calm, just explaining.

Those are some terrible people, and I don't feel bad for them getting trolled a bit because of it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 08:51:46 PM »
I just saw on the news that someone started a donation page for the driver and he's at $5000 and counting. 

Also the "put a foot in your ass" woman was fired.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 09:26:33 PM »
What makes it even more amazing is that they people at the Auto sales place thought putting up the YouTube video would make the PIZZA GUY look bad.... fucking idiots.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 08:08:35 AM »
I just saw on the news that someone started a donation page for the driver and he's at $5000 and counting. 

Yay to the first, boo to the second.

I'm not a fan of someone being punished for a mistake, especially when done in a group situation like that where she may be trying to fit in, mob mentality sets in, etc.

She should apologize to the guy and hopefully learn from her mistake, but IDK that she should be fired.   
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 08:11:53 AM »

Yay to the first, boo to the second.

I'm not a fan of someone being punished for a mistake, especially when done in a group situation like that where she may be trying to fit in, mob mentality sets in, etc.

She should apologize to the guy and hopefully learn from her mistake, but IDK that she should be fired.

Yeah, I read their "apology," and it sounds like utter crap. They seem more offended that it was posted online than their actual actions. I wonder if she may consider this discrimination, since she wasn't the only one, but thus far it seems like she is the only one that was punished.

I think this may be due to her being "only a sales girl" (quote from the owner's son), whereas the finance manager is part of management, so much easier to fire an employee than a manager.

Had one of my employees made a comment like that, I would have fired her, but in this case it appears to be a case where the entire atmosphere is rotten. Fish stinks from the head, and it looks more like a dysfunctional work environment.

J'onn J'onzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 02:29:44 PM »
In case anyone is interested in checking out there Yelp page, their ratings will never recover from that many bad reviews.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/f-and-r-auto-sales-westport?start=40

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 02:43:03 PM »
reb - should have fired all of them. Of course, the truth is that the "contrite, hat-in-hand" owners are as big of scumbags as the people they hired.

jonn - yelp will clean it up for them (for a fee).

Google, on the other hand, will not forget and will not erase history.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 02:48:32 PM »

I had go to find this.  It's currently at $22K!! and counting.

http://www.gofundme.com/xx9js

J'onn J'onzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 03:12:15 PM »
reb - should have fired all of them. Of course, the truth is that the "contrite, hat-in-hand" owners are as big of scumbags as the people they hired.

Really?? I was not aware that Yelp would remove bad reviews for pay. I guess I was giving them to much credit.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 03:42:10 PM »

Really?? I was not aware that Yelp would remove bad reviews for pay. I guess I was giving them to much credit.

Yelp is shady as fuck.  Removing bad reviews is the least bad thing they do.  They purposefully put bad reviews higher up in the searches to attempt to extort businesses to advertise with them.  As soon as they do, the best reviews somehow make it to the top.  (Courts have ruled that it's not extortion and it's not illegal, but it sure sounds like extortion to me)

http://nypost.com/2014/10/13/restaurant-fights-yelps-alleged-extortion/
http://articles.latimes.com/2014/mar/31/business/la-fi-lazarus-20140401
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericgoldman/2014/09/03/court-says-yelp-doesnt-extort-businesses/

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 08:22:35 AM »
In case anyone is interested in checking out there Yelp page, their ratings will never recover from that many bad reviews.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/f-and-r-auto-sales-westport?start=40

Forget the reviews.  Look at the photos that have been posted!!!!

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 10:47:19 PM »
I'm glad she got fired, look at how she enjoys having such a bad, trashy attitude with the poor dude. Super glad the place is getting all the heat it is for it.
A bunch of losers on a dumb ego, power trip. Makes me super mad because I just had to deal with losers like these this week myself. *end rant*

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 12:19:40 PM »
Yeah, I was looking into purchasing that fake lawn for my backyard and I noticed a local company with all bad reviews on Yelp.  Then one day I was researching again and noticed they had ZERO reviews on Yelp.  Like it was just completely wiped out and started over.  I've always wondered if Angie's list was any better since you have to pay for it. 

Be the way, I saw in the comments of one of the articles that someone posted the facebook page of the manager of the car dealership.  If you go to his page, you will see he is encouraging the haters.  Says he is selling MORE cars because of it! He is now selling to the scum of the earth and profiting huge!  Blah. 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 11:16:44 AM »
No, he isn't selling more cars. He's grasping at straws. And like I said, he's a douchebag just like his employees.

The best review site is google maps. They don't give one single fuck about bad or good reviews, they just want as much data as possible (and to display the reviews.) They're far too big to try to screw individuals. The only downside is that a lot of places don't have many reviews! But anywhere popular does and can (and should, in my opinion) be looked at there instead of through yelp.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 11:27:17 AM »
Unfortunately, this is the typical treatment of service workers like delivery workers, servers, fast food workers, and house cleaners.  People look down on them and treat them like trash when they are working hard like anybody else.  A lot of this attitude comes from people thinking others need to earn their respect, when respect is something basic that is owed to every human being.  I'm glad this video was posted online and these scumbags got what was coming to them.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 01:19:12 PM »
Unfortunately, this is the typical treatment of service workers like delivery workers, servers, fast food workers, and house cleaners.  People look down on them and treat them like trash when they are working hard like anybody else.  A lot of this attitude comes from people thinking others need to earn their respect, when respect is something basic that is owed to every human being.  I'm glad this video was posted online and these scumbags got what was coming to them.

It is sad that people are treated badly, but standing back and looking at it, it is almost comical, that used car dealers, thought they were so high up on their horse that they can talk down to a pizza delivery guy, not much a "class" difference if you are actually judging people in that way, in fact most people would put the delivery driver in a higher class.

They should start memorizing the Golden rule and really try to learn from this instead of just saying how right they are.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 02:10:54 PM »
{MOD NOTE: Personal info removed, our community is one of the more enlightened among the internets, we don't need to be stooping to mob mentality}..........say hello!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:36:23 PM by swick »

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 02:20:45 PM »
Let's not do that. You can google their phone number but posting it here is not going to lead anywhere good.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 07:23:08 PM »
Contrast this with Clyde of Clyde's Transmission which used to be right off of Colfax in Denver.  He would order $13 worth of pizza for his guys every week (there was a two pizza special), then always paid with a $20 and said "keep the change" when I delivered the pizza.  Just for the record, he let all of the pizza drivers keep the change, not just me.  Good times.

I will never regret that summer of delivering pizza; not only did I learn every nook and cranny of the old neighborhood, but I also became well acquainted with the business transaction behavior of the best and worst of humanity because everyone orders pizza in this country.  Lots of just plain tired working-class people, happy kids, and tail-wagging dogs, but also plenty of asshats and con artists in the world.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 02:51:19 PM »

This ended at $31,693.00.  Now that's a helluva tip!  I love this side of the internet.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 03:03:25 PM »

This ended at $31,693.00.  Now that's a helluva tip!  I love this side of the internet.

That's awesome.  I love that he requested no more too.  Like, he recognized that was a bunch of money and he didn't need any more from strangers, despite how nice it was.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 06:43:23 PM »

That's awesome.  I love that he requested no more too.  Like, he recognized that was a bunch of money and he didn't need any more from strangers, despite how nice it was.
[/quote

Yes, and I hope he does something really smart with the money like, goes to college or something so that he doesn't have to deliver pizzas anymore if he doesn't want to.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 06:46:48 PM »
Or starts a better pizza company?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 07:49:30 PM »

Or a better car dealership!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 02:33:07 AM »

Or a better car dealership!

Well play sir!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 10:04:42 AM »
Yeah I looked up the dealership and they had a C- from the Better Business Bureau (that is REALLY hard to do) and all the reports were before this incident. Really unethical things, like demanding $200 just to look at cars, and then keeping $100 even if they didn't buy anything (they claim that is their "pre-approval fee"). Made me feel slimy just reading the reports.
Rot begins at the root, I'd be very surprised if the culture shown didn't reflect the overall business practices of the owners.