Author Topic: DeLorean is back  (Read 8684 times)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
DeLorean is back
« on: January 27, 2016, 09:38:40 AM »
So, I read that DeLorean's Texas plant got the go-ahead to start manufacturing a few cars a year out of its massive spare parts cache.

I want one. It's the ultimate nerd-mobile, and not just because of "Back to the Future". At a $100K price tag, it's even cooler than a Tesla and I expect that renewed interest in the DeLorean brand will drive the price through the roof.

Facepunch me please, until I lose interest. I don't think there's any danger in me actually following through on this urge, because I think any six-figure purchase should have a foundation instead of wheels, but this is a seriously spendypants fantasy.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: DeLorean is back
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 09:49:44 AM »
The average price of a used DeLorean on Autotrader is $40k. I think this is up a bit from a few years ago. $100k seems excessive.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 10:39:39 AM »
The average price of a used DeLorean on Autotrader is $40k. I think this is up a bit from a few years ago. $100k seems excessive.

It's the estimated price for a new one.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 10:53:16 AM »

Yeah, I understood that. The DeLorean was $25k in 1981. Adjusted for inflation it should be just over $65k today.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 12:06:33 PM »

Yeah, I understood that. The DeLorean was $25k in 1981. Adjusted for inflation it should be just over $65k today.

Should be, yes. But between scarcity and ongoing nerd-interest, the evidence suggests they'll be selling for substantially more. Excellent point, though and a good facepunch for me: I'd be paying a lot extra just for the brand name and it's stupid of me to consider doing that.

The gull wing doors also aren't exclusive to DeLorean anymore; a lot of overpriced sports cars have them.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 12:11:18 PM »
The gull wing doors also aren't exclusive to DeLorean anymore; a lot of overpriced sports cars have them.

The gull-wing doors were never exclusive to DeLorean. The Bricklin SV-1 was available before it in the mid-70s and of course there's the iconic Mercedes 300SL which had gull-wing doors in the early 50s!

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 12:26:50 PM »
*cracks knuckles*

Any questions you may have about them, just ask- high odds are I'll know the answer.

Some things that almost always get asked...

What will one cost? The DeLorean community has what is affectionately referred to as 'The Rule of 25' which postulates that regardless of what you initially pay for your DeLorean it will eventually end up costing a total of about $25,000- which is also what it's generally assumed a decently sorted daily-driver quality car will cost. They of course go for more- older, rarer ones and ones that are in Concours-quality condition of course command a premium. But they're surprisingly inexpensive on the whole- they've neither appreciated or depreciated on the whole.

I paid about $7k for mine- its engine didn't run and its interior was a wet mess. I probably put about $5-6k into it parts-wise getting it back to good drivable shape including some upgrades and improvements. If I'd been paying someone to do the work, it would likely have ended up at around $25k, but since I did everything myself (or with the help of friends) it cost a lot less.

Isn't it really hard to find parts? I get asked this a lot, but the story that started this thread kind of addresses this- for about 98% of the parts it's possible to call up DMC-Houston or one of the other sites and they can get the part to you pretty quickly. There are indeed some 'more valuable than gold' parts, but they're generally not ones you have to worry about.

Is it hard to find someone to work on them? This is a different story- they're a rare, 30-year-old car that uses an engine (and more importantly, fuel delivery system in the form of the K-Jetronic) that hasn't been made in about 20 years. Lots of places are very wary of working on them, but there are also lots of places that will as well as the far fewer but still available places that specialize in them. For my part? Outside of the A/C system and tires, it just makes far more sense to do it myself. They're not the easiest cars to work on, but far simpler than many newer ones and the full manuals on them are readily available.

I've never regretted buying mine. I'd wanted one since I was a child and saw one on a showroom floor (several years before Back to the Future came out) at a dealership, and jumped at the chance to pick one up and put my (at the time) newly-learned automotive repair skills to the test. It's an absolute BLAST to take out and drive- not because it's a powerhouse supercar (believe me, at about 145HP from the factory and weighing 3500lbs, it's pretty slow off the line) but because of the reactions you get from everyone when they realize what it is. It brings smiles everywhere I drive it- and it's impossible for that to not rub off on me as well. I've long said that it's impossible to drive it around and be in a bad mood.

Is it the more mustachian purchase? Oh, hell no. Is it going to be an investment? No, probably not- maybe many decades down the line they'll be super-rare and worth lots of money, but at the moment there are assumed to be about 6,000 still in existence- and that may go up now. Is it a lot of fun? Quite definitely. Mine will probably be around for a VERY long time, with SWMBO being completely behind me on that since she knows how much I enjoy it.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 01:24:20 PM »
Is it the more mustachian purchase? Oh, hell no. Is it going to be an investment? No, probably not- maybe many decades down the line they'll be super-rare and worth lots of money, but at the moment there are assumed to be about 6,000 still in existence- and that may go up now. Is it a lot of fun? Quite definitely. Mine will probably be around for a VERY long time, with SWMBO being completely behind me on that since she knows how much I enjoy it.

But the beauty of these types of hobby cars is that they generally don't depreciate much.  So you can buy one for whatever you paid, own it and drive it and have fun with it, and then someday sell it for more or less what you have in it.  Basically you're just out the carrying costs (and of course opportunity costs on the money).  Compare that with buying a new _______ and losing carrying costs + $XX,XXX in depreciation.  It sort of IS the "Mustachian" way to enjoy cars. 

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 01:31:45 PM »
You'd probably save money by making a couple of trips each year to Las Vegas and renting one to drive up and down the strip:

http://www.justvegasdeals.com/elite-exotic-car-rentals-99-exotic-car-rental-ferrari-lamborghini-delorean-two-hours-25-miles-save-80/

Might be worthwhile just to test drive one even if you decide to later purchase the beast.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 01:36:28 PM »
I always think I want one, then I remember they are made of aluminum and held together by crazy glue and dreams... then I get over it.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 01:40:53 PM »
I always think I want one, then I remember they are made of aluminum and held together by crazy glue and dreams... then I get over it.

The body is stainless steel, not aluminum. The chassis is fiberglass though, so being held together by crazy glue and dreams might not be too far off.

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 01:53:01 PM »
When I was a kid and saw Back to the Future I used to think they were so awesome, but having seen some up close (one of the contractors at my current work place has one) I've gotten over them.  They don't do it for me in term of looks anymore, and I think they are also underpowered and fairly unreliable.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 02:07:48 PM »

The body is stainless steel, not aluminum. The chassis is fiberglass though, so being held together by crazy glue and dreams might not be too far off.

my apologies, corrected:

I always think I want one, then I remember they are made of aluminum foil and held together by crazy glue and dreams... then I get over it.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 02:43:07 PM »
When I was a kid and saw Back to the Future I used to think they were so awesome, but having seen some up close (one of the contractors at my current work place has one) I've gotten over them.  They don't do it for me in term of looks anymore, and I think they are also underpowered and fairly unreliable.

In stock form, they are underpowered. They're generally no less reliable than pretty much any 30-year-old car. They need more maintenance than a newer car for certain, but not a whole lot IMO.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 07:26:31 PM »
Jesus, you people will put any unrelated bullshit into this subforum. "I don't like cars, so new parts being made for an iconic car belongs in the wall of shame and comedy."

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 10:02:53 PM »
Jesus, you people will put any unrelated bullshit into this subforum. "I don't like cars, so new parts being made for an iconic car belongs in the wall of shame and comedy."

It's not new parts being made for an iconic car. It's an iconic car that is being built and sold again in small batches, so that new ones are hitting the market for the first time in many years.

Not one person in this thread "doesn't like" cars. Many of us really, really like this particular one despite the fact it isn't practical. I'm coveting one despite the obvious expense and am asking my fellow forum members to assist me in not giving in to temptation. What's the matter with that?

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 10:32:36 PM »
In all honesty, I should have read the post. My bad.

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 12:18:55 AM »
My friend bought what one would call a "mustachian" delorean. As in - he got it for $4000
He is also a mechanic, so he spent quite a bit of time and money on the car to get it right. Think lifting the body off the frame, re-powdercoating the chassis, re-laying air conditioning pipe king of work.

Overall deloreans follow the "rule of 20". You can pay $20,000 and have a good, reliable running car, or you can buy it for a lot less and spend a total of close to that to get it in running order. Either way, if you want that 80's nostalgia, be prepared to pay $20K

Also keep in mind, it has the stiffest clutch I've ever driven (and I've owned around 10 cars in my lifetime, including british exotics), and the Volvo Peugeot engine is horribly underpowered. The car is also balanced wrong - about 70% of the weight is on the rear wheels. My friend added metal plates under the carpet of the front boot to weigh down the front so it would handle better.

Anyways, here's us at the Rental Car Rally a few years ago.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 07:47:04 AM »
My friend bought what one would call a "mustachian" delorean. As in - he got it for $4000
He is also a mechanic, so he spent quite a bit of time and money on the car to get it right. Think lifting the body off the frame, re-powdercoating the chassis, re-laying air conditioning pipe king of work.

Overall deloreans follow the "rule of 20". You can pay $20,000 and have a good, reliable running car, or you can buy it for a lot less and spend a total of close to that to get it in running order. Either way, if you want that 80's nostalgia, be prepared to pay $20K

Also keep in mind, it has the stiffest clutch I've ever driven (and I've owned around 10 cars in my lifetime, including british exotics), and the Volvo Peugeot engine is horribly underpowered. The car is also balanced wrong - about 70% of the weight is on the rear wheels. My friend added metal plates under the carpet of the front boot to weigh down the front so it would handle better.

Interesting- mine's clutch is actually quite forgiving. Of course mine doesn't have an OEM one on it but an aftermarket master/slave (from Special-T Auto/John Hervey, I imagine your friend would recognize the name...) along with a stainless clutch line since the clutch was one of the things shot on mine when I got it. The clutch plate itself was also frozen (rusted) in the disengaged position which is still a bit of a head-scratcher. The weight balance is a bit off but it doesn't really impact driving it that much for normal driving- and it's not the worst-balanced car I've ever owned or driven- that particular cake goes to a Fiero I had that someone had shoehorned a Cadillac 500 V-8 & TH-425 into the back of.

I've unfortunately not gone quite as far as your friend at least with respect to the frame- that's a job I'm going to have to do somewhere down the line, but for the time being it's not bad enough to have to be worried about. Depending on when I get around to it I would LOOOOOVE to not fix and recoat the frame but try and build a tubular frame from scratch to replace it since the stock frame (and even the stainless ones that exist, since they were basically copies of the original frame) is way heavier than it needs to be.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 08:19:15 PM »
I want one.  Bad.  :/

But first I need to find and restore an RX-7.  1986.  Frame up restoration.  High revving S5 NA motor upgrade, or a light turbo setup.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 08:45:50 AM »
I want one.  Bad.  :/

But first I need to find and restore an RX-7.  1986.  Frame up restoration.  High revving S5 NA motor upgrade, or a light turbo setup.

They're getting increasingly harder to find- especially with a 13B in it (though if you're looking to swap in a S5 13B, I suppose getting one with a SBC in it wouldn't be much different than one with a S4 13B). I definitely regret selling my '88 FC3C a ways back, but I didn't have the space to keep it and it was really silly to have two purely 2-seat cars around. It was a terribly fun car to drive even with a largely stock NA S4 engine. I on a few occasions would take it out when we had a rare warm day during the winter after not driving it for a while and having driven nothing but the DeLorean or my Saturn for several months and forget just how quickly it would make power and want to break the rear wheels loose when pulling out from my street onto the main street.

A 13B Renesis is still my favorite choice for what to swap into the DeLorean if/when its PRV bites the dust. Lighter, more powerful, and revs like a banshee. An FD's twin-turbo 13B would be fun too, but ironically they're more expensive and harder to come by than Renesis engines (since the RX-8 was never the poster child for the drift scene like the FD was...).

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 10:27:35 AM »
Will the new one come with the secret cocaine storage compartment?

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 01:02:29 PM »
Only if the FBI hears the company is in trouble sends one of its pet felons to build it into the design, in exchange for a plea bargain.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 02:24:38 PM »
Only if the FBI hears the company is in trouble sends one of its pet felons to build it into the design, in exchange for a plea bargain.
I wish I could put Thumbs Up emojis in a forum post.. :D

More on-topic though, there's a LOOOOOT of skepticism on the part of the DeLorean owner community about whether this will actually happen or not (or on anything resembling the scale they're saying- a car a month). DMC-H has a long and storied history of coming up with some big announcement that gets lots of press coverage and free advertising for them but in the end come to pretty much nothing. There was the 'New Build' DMC-12 announcement (those actually exist, but take a LOOONG time for them to make and there haven't been that many bought/made), the Supercharged DMC-12 (does exist, I rode in it when I visited DMC-H when in Texas to see relatives- but there was some questionable legality of how they obtained some parts and it was never offered to be purchased or produced...), the Electric DeLorean (again, exists and I've seen it several times- but they never produced any and it's technically still 'in development'), and now there's that they're going to build truly 'new' DMC-12's (one of the DMCTalk forum members suggested it be called the DMC-100, though if we're going with what history has said, it would end up being closer to DMC-200...) for $100k.

There's a lot of question as to whether anyone will actually pay that much for a truly new DeLorean with an updated engine, but I for one hope they actually do it and there's a good bit of demand from people with more money than sense (those with more sense who really want one would just buy an original one for 1/4 the price and upgrade it themselves, those with lots more sense and less love for the cars would just not buy one at all of course) so that DMC-H has a reason to have more upgraded parts made as well as some that have not been available for some time (left-front fenders come to mind...) re-made so there are more parts of those of us with 'original' ones.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 02:45:12 PM »
I wish I could put Thumbs Up emojis in a forum post.. :D

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 02:46:00 PM »
They're generally no less reliable than pretty much any 30-year-old car.

You've got to be kidding. DeLoreans had a poor reputation for reliability even when they were new, let alone 30 years later! I'd expect a 1986 Honda to be much more reliable. (I'd expect my Mazda to be much more reliable too, for that matter -- I'll let you know in four years.)

The styling makes up for it, though.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 04:10:53 PM »
More on-topic though, there's a LOOOOOT of skepticism on the part of the DeLorean owner community about whether this will actually happen or not (or on anything resembling the scale they're saying- a car a month). DMC-H has a long and storied history of coming up with some big announcement that gets lots of press coverage and free advertising for them but in the end come to pretty much nothing. There was the 'New Build' DMC-12 announcement (those actually exist, but take a LOOONG time for them to make and there haven't been that many bought/made), the Supercharged DMC-12 (does exist, I rode in it when I visited DMC-H when in Texas to see relatives- but there was some questionable legality of how they obtained some parts and it was never offered to be purchased or produced...), the Electric DeLorean (again, exists and I've seen it several times- but they never produced any and it's technically still 'in development'), and now there's that they're going to build truly 'new' DMC-12's (one of the DMCTalk forum members suggested it be called the DMC-100, though if we're going with what history has said, it would end up being closer to DMC-200...) for $100k.

I started this thread expecting some facepunches. There were a few, but surprisingly it's mostly been a long series of basically sensible people coming out and talking about how much they love this car. The car is not a winner based on cost, fuel efficiency, reliability, power or speed, or any other quantitative factor. Even the styling isn't that unique. Still we love it. Why? Because of the badassity. Deep down, we're all attracted to it. We develop it in ourselves, we respect it in others, and every once in a while we want to own a piece of it.

At least part of the DeLorean's badassity is due to a long history of outlaw behavior on the part of DMC and the people associated with the company. Other cars have been featured in famous movies and TV shows, but the Z-28 and the Trans-Am don't have the cult status the DeLorean does. I think that if it hadn't been for all the scandals, the empty promises, and other BS over the years, I don't think we'd be feeling the love.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 05:16:35 PM »
If you wanted one as a daily driver, yeah, you'd probably get facepunches.

But for a weird hobby car?  Seems reasonable.  And they look better in person than in pics, IMO.  Super flat.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 09:12:07 AM »
They're generally no less reliable than pretty much any 30-year-old car.

You've got to be kidding. DeLoreans had a poor reputation for reliability even when they were new, let alone 30 years later! I'd expect a 1986 Honda to be much more reliable. (I'd expect my Mazda to be much more reliable too, for that matter -- I'll let you know in four years.)

The styling makes up for it, though.
Nope, not kidding- but you're not wholly wrong either. Ironically DeLoreans these days are exponentially more reliable than when they were new simple because they've been around so long.

When the DMC-12 rolled out of the factory, they had issues a mile long. DMC had to set up a crack team (no pun intended) here in the US to handle adjusting fitment and fixing things that the largely unskilled and untrained factory workers in Dunmurry had not gotten right- the front and rear fascias were a particular problem as was the alignment of the doors (latches at the front and back make it tricky). There were also operational problems- the original alternator was underpowered, so if you were driving in the dark in the rain (lights on, A/C dragging down the engine and running the cooling fans) the alt could not keep up with the power usage and the battery would slowly drain and die.

30 years of experience with them has yielded a whole lot of improvements both in technology and simply finding the issues with the car and working out how to fix them. More powerful alternators (DMC figured this out themselves and eventually started putting in a more powerful one at the factory), modern lower power-draw fans and more efficient radiators as well as lots of little things that were found, discussed, and entered into the common knowledge pool for owners mean that it's pretty easy to resolve most issues before they become a problem- and with the availability of parts from a reliable supplier it's actually easier to maintain than most of its contemporaries.

Most people though aren't terribly concerned with the reliability and more with the style and nostalgia. I actually do know people who use them as their daily driver. At least one of those has converted his to electric drive.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2016, 09:40:42 AM »
If you're terribly concerned with reliability you drive a new Honda or Toyota.

It's hard to beat the style points of showing up in a beautiful older car that you maintain yourself.

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 06:19:36 PM »
Really cool cars, but more of a novelty IMO. Underpowered sweatbox that is a PITA to work on with so much goofiness in the design. Tiny gutless engine and tiny windows. If anything leaks you'll not only be sweating profusely but doped up enough to not care fro all the fumes that you can't ventilate.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2016, 07:40:52 PM »
Yes, yes, I get that.

But it looks *incredible* - and that's worth a lot!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 08:38:46 AM »
That 1986 Honda Accord - we owned it. And the 1987 Honda Accord variety too. VERY reliable. The '97 went north of 300K miles before I lost track of it.

That 3500lbs, 145HP - more or less the same as our first gen CR-V. Not a slug like an aircooled VW but not threatening to any street racers. ;)

As a kid (mid-80s?) I was fascinated by these cars. Wanted one bad. Was treated to a sighting of a Delorean while we were on a weekend vacation. Then another and another until 7-8 of them passed by us. Some sort of Delorean club gathering. Made my day.

Hope they do build them again. I love variety in the cars we see on the roads.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 11:47:56 AM »
Really cool cars, but more of a novelty IMO. Underpowered sweatbox that is a PITA to work on with so much goofiness in the design. Tiny gutless engine and tiny windows. If anything leaks you'll not only be sweating profusely but doped up enough to not care fro all the fumes that you can't ventilate.

Actually a DeLorean is one car where you're unlikely to have a problem with CO poisoning from an exhaust leak given that the engine and entire exhaust system is behind the cabin. Ironically that's actually a minor issue compared to a normal FR or FF vehicle- if something gets too hot and melts/burns on or around the engine and you're moving, you're not likely going to smell it nearly as quickly as when the engine is in front of you.

With only about 6,000 of them presumed to still be around, they definitely are a novelty though- the VAST majority of people who come up and say anything to me about it say, "I've never actually seen one of these in person!"

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 03:20:41 PM »

And get your  fashion model trophy wife to come to court with you every day and immediately go to a divorce lawyer as soon as you beat the rap.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 03:39:34 PM »

And get your  fashion model trophy wife to come to court with you every day and immediately go to a divorce lawyer as soon as you beat the rap.

I see that last bit as Karma in action. It wasn't as though he hadn't already divorced two other women.