Author Topic: Debt free or gain 25 pounds. Appearance wins!!!  (Read 6157 times)

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Debt free or gain 25 pounds. Appearance wins!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 08:13:39 AM »
Wonder how they did the poll?  I'd rather stay my current weight than have my debt wiped out.  Of course, my only current debt is recurring monthly credit card 'debt' that is paid off every month.  So it's always between $0 and $750.

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:24:14 AM »
My physical health is definitely more important than my financial well-being. Both are priorities, but when it comes down to it, financial takes precedence.

I don't think the poll is that informative as people could have your sentiment vs the later questions about appearance. Also, is the weight gain/health risk permanent or once you are debt free you can work on the weight?  I think a well planned poll would be very insightful about priorities. In the US, it appears to be neither weight/health nor financial.

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:59:23 AM »
"A recent National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC) online poll revealed that close to one in five consumers or (18%) believe that carrying credit card debt over from month to month is a responsible way to manage his or her finances."

And I'll bet another 20% wouldn't say "yes" to that, but actually live that way.

Yikes.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:06:38 AM »
With my experiences in life....used to be in moderate debt and used be be moderatly overweight.  I think paying off debt is significantly easier than losing weight.  While both could potentially be a lifetime struggle, for me it is much easier to manage my spending/saving habits than my eating/exercising habits.

So I would choose debt.  I did hear about this study and thought it was interesting.  But I agree that a poll such as this is hard to get a true answer when it is not an inevitable choice (ie you have to endure what you choose).

Just my thoughts.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:29:51 AM »
I would go debt free (the only debts I have are the mortgages on my house and my rental properties.) I would be FI several times over. Plenty of time to hit the gym and burn off those extra 25 lbs.

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 12:40:08 PM »
Damn.  I'd gladly trade an instant gain of 100lbs if it meant my mortgage was paid off.

I'd be back down to my current weight (or actually a more idea weight about 20-25lbs more than I weigh now) within a year... no way I'd be able to pay my mortgage off that fast.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 04:50:19 PM »
"...70% care more about their physical health than their financial health."

I would really worry about that 30%.  I certainly wouldn't trade my health for any amount of money.  Not that I actually have any debts beyond a (not really burdensome) mortage, but if I did, as long as I'm healthy, I can make enough money to pay them.  But if my health goes, not only does my earning ability take a nosedive, I lose the ability to do most of the things I do for fun.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 04:56:05 PM »

I would really worry about that 30%.  I certainly wouldn't trade my health for any amount of money.  Not that I actually have any debts beyond a (not really burdensome) mortage, but if I did, as long as I'm healthy, I can make enough money to pay them.  But if my health goes, not only does my earning ability take a nosedive, I lose the ability to do most of the things I do for fun.

+1

Plus gaining a lot of weight doesn't happen by magic, it means something has gone seriously wrong with your eating and/or physical activity habits. It's difficult to change that later...

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 07:28:57 PM »

I certainly care about my physical health more than my financial... but 25lbs?  That's nothing.  Getting rid of that is a piece of cake.  The average American's financial situation would likely take years or even decades to correct.

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 09:43:48 PM »
I certainly care about my physical health more than my financial... but 25lbs?  That's nothing.  Getting rid of that is a piece of cake.  The average American's financial situation would likely take years or even decades to correct.

That's certainly true, 25 lbs could be dropped healthily in about 3 months. The 70% bit was different than the 25 lbs though, it just said physical and financial health without a definition for either.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 11:28:41 PM »
I certainly care about my physical health more than my financial... but 25lbs?  That's nothing.  Getting rid of that is a piece of cake.

Glad you think so, but my observation has been that it's pretty difficult for most people.  Though of course it's possible that many people just don't want to lose that extra 25+ lbs.  I don't know, myself, having never been in a position where I had that much weight to lose.