Author Topic: Dasani  (Read 9171 times)

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
Dasani
« on: June 17, 2013, 07:37:36 AM »
So my mother-in-law (who is on a tight budget) is making her annual visit.  We have a Brita pitcher that works quite well, dispenses great tasting 38 degree water, and is usually full.  So what does mother-in-law do the entire time she is here?  Well, she goes out and buys a few cases of Dasani, of course!  Arrrrrggggghhh!!!!!

There are few things in this world I loathe quite as much as the bottled water racket.  And that was long before I started following MMM.

cbr shadow

• Bristles
Re: Dasani
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 07:54:01 AM »
I agree with you on this.. My parents take this to new levels.  They're on well water and had it tested to see if it was drinkable.  They were told it is drinkable but may have a funny taste/smell sometimes.  It does, but i still drink it and it's fine.  Still, they use BOTTLED WATER for everything!  That includes COOKING and to me the worst.....giving the dog.  Yes the dog drinks bottled water.
When I bring my dog there I make damn sure that my dog gets the well water, which he loves. :)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 08:21:10 AM »
My neighborhood has well water, and while it is drinkable, we got a cheap water cooler on craig's list. It is 39 cents a gallon to fill it up, and we have a few 5 gallon jugs. We still cook with regular tap and just use that for drinking. I think the benefit of having clean water that you enjoy drinking outweighs the cost of not drinking as much because of the flavor.

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 11:22:10 AM »
My Dad does the same thing. Whenever he comes to visit, he stops and picks up a case of bottled water. I currently have a bunch of bottles in my refrigerator that are just sitting there. I get my water filtered from the tap and fill my water bottle (with filter inside) every morning.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 11:28:44 AM »
Yes the dog drinks bottled water.

Yet if you take the dog out for a walk, s/he will happily drink from any old puddle.  My two get my very good well water, but would rather drink from outdoor containers in which leaves and such have steeped for a week or two.

And don't get me started on horse manure, or dead critter bones found in the woods...

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 11:31:14 AM »

Yet if you take the dog out for a walk, s/he will happily drink from any old puddle.  My two get my very good well water, but would rather drink from outdoor containers in which leaves and such have steeped for a week or two.

And don't get me started on horse manure, or dead critter bones found in the woods...

I would be afraid of bacteria in that water that could make them sick. My two somtimes drink out of the puddles around my neighborhood caused my my neighbors overwatering their lawns. And they love a good, dried-up earth worm.

I do give them filtered water at home, though (filtered from the tap). The water here is extremely hard and I figured if I didn't want to drink that stuff unfiltered, I wasn't going to force my dogs to do it.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
My neighborhood has well water, and while it is drinkable, we got a cheap water cooler on craig's list. It is 39 cents a gallon to fill it up, and we have a few 5 gallon jugs. We still cook with regular tap and just use that for drinking. I think the benefit of having clean water that you enjoy drinking outweighs the cost of not drinking as much because of the flavor.

Have you tried adapting to it?  I loved the tap water where I grew up but now if I go back home to visit, I hate the taste.  Because I've adapted to the water where I live now.

Of course, I have no experience with your particular water or tastebuds :)  It's just a thought.

jdoolin

• Stubble
    • Just My Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 02:08:56 PM »
Ever notice what "Evian" spells backwards?

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 03:24:19 PM »
Ever notice what "Evian" spells backwards?

Not that I see reason to pay for it, but at least Evian is sourced from a particular area (and so has whatever character/content is unique to there); Dasani doesn't even have that going for it (it's tap water that's been purified by reverse osmosis). My mom has a reverse osmosis system home, but still buys Dasani!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 07:38:59 PM »

Roughly eight-day-old deer leg (not the whole deer, just the leg), used as both nutrient source and, um, recreational item. In August. Dogs are sometimes less domesticated than we'd like. They have stomachs of iron, though.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 11:18:06 PM »
Roughly eight-day-old deer leg...

You're a better forensic zoologist than I am - I only know whether they stink or not :-)

Was out riding with some friends this past weekend - four humans, five horses, eight dogs - and one of the dogs (not mine, thankfully) comes running back from the trees with a whole deer leg, still at the rather fragrant stage...

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 11:48:24 AM »
There's been tons of tests that have concluded that where I live, tap water is of much higher quality than most of the bottled water you can buy (we get our water straight from the Alps). Still, every time I go grocery shopping I see people buying tons of expensive bottled water with French names because the lady on TV told them that it's good for your family, or that it's a way of life, or that it's so good you'll taste the millions of years the water has spent flowing around rocks and is therefore full of minerals and other supposedly healthy things.

Funny side note: some of these aforementioned tests have revealed that some local companies sell tap water as bottled water at a premium price. And people are still buying that shit.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 01:18:56 PM »
The bottled water thing kills me.  Congratulations!  You just polluted the earth for 10,000 years in order to drink 12 oz of water.  Your future great grandchildren now hate you forever.

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 04:36:57 PM »
The bottled water thing kills me.  Congratulations!  You just polluted the earth for 10,000 years in order to drink 12 oz of water.  Your future great grandchildren now hate you forever.

Thank you, this is going to be my new go-to phrase when convincing people to just stop drinking the damned stuff!  My parents always have a case around the house, despite the fact that they have cold, filtered water from the fridge AND a reverse osmosis system on their kitchen sink.  I simply cannot get them to understand how silly that is...

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 04:52:47 PM »
The marketing geniuses at a certain famous beverage company here describe their product as a "zero kilojoule hydration option". That certainly dupes the masses.

I nab a freebie every now and again and reuse the bottles for 6-12 months. Then pop it in the recycling bins. If the product exists you might as well try and demonstrate a mustachian use for it.

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 05:28:15 PM »
Was out riding with some friends this past weekend - four humans, five horses, eight dogs - and one of the dogs (not mine, thankfully) comes running back from the trees with a whole deer leg, still at the rather fragrant stage...
My dog once gobbled a chicken wing + bone. For a few days I was horrified and worried. And then... not so much. And the same is true of humans. We're pretty hardy. Bottled water is a sell job:
http://www.storyofstuff.org/movies-all/story-of-bottled-water/

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 07:09:54 PM »
My ex's parents use to bring us a freaking CASE of bottled water every time they came to visit "in case of emergencies". OK, my in-law's who live in the country lost water when the power went out for a few days last summer, but I'm pretty sure here in Chicago we have a generator to run it...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 01:12:36 PM »

You're a better forensic zoologist than I am - I only know whether they stink or not :-)

Well, the eeact age is a guess, but I did have plenty of time to form an educated one as the dog pranced happily back and forth, waving the prized object around in the air, parts falling off, daring anyone to catch him. This was a hound -- humans can't catch them if they don't want to be caught, and in that case, I didn't really want to all that much!

Alan2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 03:42:17 PM »
You can't buy Dasani in the UK (or Europe).  It got so much bad publicity for being tap water from Sidcup (with markup of 300,000%), together with a health scare of carcenogenics introduced from the purification process and a truely lousy marketing campagin that failed to recogise that 'spunk' doesn't mean the same in the UK as it does in the USA.

It lasted all of five weeks from launch to being pulled.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 05:14:47 PM »
Well, the eeact age is a guess, but I did have plenty of time to form an educated one as the dog pranced happily back and forth, waving the prized object around in the air, parts falling off, daring anyone to catch him.

One benefit of living in a fairly arid climate is that remaining bits of tissue tend to become jerky, so things don't fall off & scatter much.  But otherwise, yes, been there, seen that.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 05:19:06 PM »
There are guys around Quincy Market who sell cold tap water in re-used plastic bottles during summer tourist season for normal bottled water prices.

You can't buy Dasani in the UK (or Europe).  It got so much bad publicity for being tap water from Sidcup (with markup of 300,000%), together with a health scare of carcenogenics introduced from the purification process and a truely lousy marketing campagin that failed to recogise that 'spunk' doesn't mean the same in the UK as it does in the USA.

It lasted all of five weeks from launch to being pulled.

Wow. I wish more lousy products would have such lousy marketing.

Frugalady10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »

I don't know how to post a direct link but this is a funny comedy clip about bottled water:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=H2mdFB7UTqc

Felt like throwing it in here.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »
I was on a multiple day cycling trip with some fairly mustachian friends.  We stopped at a grocery store and they all went to get the 20 oz bottled waters.  I vetoed that and got 2 1-gallon jugs for ~$.80/gallon.  Sure it's more than the tap, but we needed a lot of water and it sure beat $.40/20 oz.

That's my only experience buying bottled water (for drinking, I have gotten distilled for the iron) ... ever.

jnik

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 07:43:42 AM »
failed to recogise that 'spunk' doesn't mean the same in the UK as it does in the USA.
Oh, I assure you, it means that in the US, too. (Assuming there isn't a third meaning.) Snicker.