Author Topic: Damn that peer pressure...  (Read 5718 times)

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
Damn that peer pressure...
« on: June 05, 2014, 08:44:02 PM »
As I've said, I do web application security.  I just posted a new blog entry and referenced a very cool made up domain.  I was actually surprised it wasn't already purchased when I typed it in.  I told a friend of mine who said: just buy it.  It's only a few bucks.

So, I went and bought it.  Yeah, it is only $17 (for private listing). 

Sure it could be a test bed for something at some point (hmmm)..  I'm more annoyed I did it under the peer pressure than of my own volition.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Damn that peer pressure...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:39:14 PM »
Hah, I've bought more than one domain on a whim with a vague idea of what I'd like to do with them.  The good thing is it's not a recurring expense, even though it feels like it will be.  Next year when you've done nothing with it you can just let it go.  And a one-time $17 expense is definitely not worth getting upset over ;-)

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 08:04:26 AM »
I don't see the issue here... your friend did you a favor IMO. $17 for an investment that could turn out ridiculously in your favor is far better than taking that same $17 and blowing it on a fancy lunch that you got pressured into.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 06:58:08 PM »
I think the reality is, the domain name won't amount to anything worth while and it was more of a personal "this sounds awesome".  It isn't really a big deal, I find it more comedy than shame.

But if it does ever amount to anything I'll let you know the name :)

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 10:07:10 PM »
Well, now that you've registered it and don't have to worry about it being sniped, you can run it by us and see if we can help brainstorm ideas, too

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 09:57:59 AM »
I was planning on setting up a website that was going to be an oasis of pen sales . . . my own little island of high quality pen sales on the internet.  Unfortunately bidding was intense and I was unable to secure penisland.com for my business.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 10:46:48 AM »
I was planning on setting up a website that was going to be an oasis of pen sales . . . my own little island of high quality pen sales on the internet.  Unfortunately bidding was intense and I was unable to secure penisland.com for my business.
Shame that your idea for a website where experts exchange tips and advice also didn't pan out.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 12:39:04 PM »

I was going to create a vegetarian haven for discussion of all things tofu, but I was similarly unable to secure ilovetofu.com

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 03:41:44 PM »
Shame that your idea for a website where experts exchange tips and advice also didn't pan out.

The sad thing is that expertsexchange.com was actually one of the better repositories of programming Q&A before Stack Exchange blew them out of the water.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 06:24:25 PM »

The sad thing is that expertsexchange.com was actually one of the better repositories of programming Q&A before Stack Exchange blew them out of the water.

I am embarrassed by the fact I never picked up on the innuendo in that name.  I think I need to have my man card taken away.

Unfortunately, the blog post has the site in it which will take away my anonymity on this site.  While it doesn't have the sexual undertone of nature, it does have the luxury of having subdomains combined with it so you could use it for a great advertising line as well.