Author Topic: Daily Worth excuses your silly dating spending  (Read 10582 times)

socaso

• Pencil Stache
Daily Worth excuses your silly dating spending
« on: March 06, 2015, 10:46:10 AM »
You would think they might offer some alternatives to this author's outrageous dating spending but instead the bent of the article seems to be that it's all worth it.

Also how on earth do you spend $70 on pizza and beer? The last time I went to a fancier pizza place and had pizza and craft beer the bill was about $45 for two people.

https://www.dailyworth.com/posts/3384-how-much-does-it-cost-to-date/1

Tabaxus

• Bristles
Re: Daily Worth excuses your silly dating spending
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 12:23:23 PM »
All of the pizza places around me could easily get to $70, if you count tax and tip, if you get multiple toppings on the pizza and you're not drinking miller lite.  2 good beers a piece is already $30-40 after tax and tip around here.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 12:30:42 PM »
All of the pizza places around me could easily get to $70, if you count tax and tip, if you get multiple toppings on the pizza and you're not drinking miller lite.  2 good beers a piece is already $30-40 after tax and tip around here.

I live in New York City. If you're spending $70 on pizza and beer, you're a complete sucker.

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 12:39:47 PM »

I live in New York City. If you're spending $70 on pizza and beer, you're a complete sucker.

If you say so.  Would be interested to know what you consider good beer.  Generally $8/beer each  everywhere around me for something like a Guinness (which is ok beer, not great), so $40.32 for two beers/person (5% sales tax, 20% tip).  A pizza with 2-3 toppings will easily run $20 or more, even for a place that isn't great, so there's another $25 after tax and tip. 

There's a reason I avoid going out to eat.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 12:42:37 PM »
Wow! Do other women really get facials, waxing, manicures, and pedicures EVERY SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS???? I've never had a manicure, pedicure, or waxing at all. I had a facial once at a fundraiser thing, but didn't really like it and never had another one.

Uber doesn't really operate much in Vancouver as far as I know (I think there's a legal battle going on right now), but the only taxis I take are the ones my employer pays for once a year to the Christmas party. Otherwise, transit, feet, and planning ahead so I'm not on the opposite side of the city after transit stops running seems to work.

Everything else is equally nutso. Wow.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 12:49:10 PM »
Wow! Do other women really get facials, waxing, manicures, and pedicures EVERY SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS???? I've never had a manicure, pedicure, or waxing at all. I had a facial once at a fundraiser thing, but didn't really like it and never had another one.

Uber doesn't really operate much in Vancouver as far as I know (I think there's a legal battle going on right now), but the only taxis I take are the ones my employer pays for once a year to the Christmas party. Otherwise, transit, feet, and planning ahead so I'm not on the opposite side of the city after transit stops running seems to work.

Right?  I've never had mani, pedi, or waxing.  I had one facial, but it was a gift card from a boss who was thanking me for doing 2 persons jobs for 3 months while pregnant.  He didn't realize I wasn't into that stuff.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 01:03:14 PM »

If you say so.  Would be interested to know what you consider good beer.  Generally $8/beer each  everywhere around me for something like a Guinness (which is ok beer, not great), so $40.32 for two beers/person (5% sales tax, 20% tip).  A pizza with 2-3 toppings will easily run $20 or more, even for a place that isn't great, so there's another $25 after tax and tip. 

There's a reason I avoid going out to eat.

I guess I just can't see myself justifying a $70 pizza date. There are plenty of pizza stores by my work (Union Sq.) that have $10-15 pies (who the heck buys a whole pie for 2 poeple?).

In terms of beer, $6-8 blue moon is my go-to. During happy hour (around when I get out of work), lots of places are $4 blue moons. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more crazy $70 on beer/pizza sounds. If you're gonna spend $70, why not go somewhere nice??

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 01:21:40 PM »
I've paid close to $70 for beer and pizza...

The local brewery gets food trucks to come out to serve patrons.  Last time we were there, I spent $32 on 2 pizzas (including 9% tax and 20% tip ... it really adds up)!  Then my BF spent $30 on beer for the two of us (5 $5 beers +$5 tip).  It's really good pizza - wood fired and fresh local ingredients.  Ultimately, I prefer to make my own pizza (I keep a stash in the freezer), but sometimes you want to get out and socialize.  At least the live band was free (well...subsidized by the beer we were going to drink anyway).

Yeah, I'm glad I missed the memo that these are all required for women.  I do none of it, except occasional pedicures (I only started a couple years ago, and do admit to enjoying them!).  I don't have a regular schedule, but I get 5-6/year.  I don't consider them mandatory.

I do get $50 (including tip) haircuts every 8 weeks.  I used to go cheap, but now I see the value in returning to a stylist who has done a good job on your hair in the past.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 01:54:29 PM »
This woman's regular lifestyle (let alone dates) struck me as pretty spendypants. I think dating will obviously cost more when you are older and make more money, maybe you want to impress a little, I can see that.

Having lived places were 1 beer is $7, I can see pizza+4 beers+tax+tip costing $70. I've also had dates that were just coffee, 1-2 drinks, ice cream and a walk - when you're young and broke you make it work! If you expect to be going to the symphony with new beaus then you probably dated in a different circle than me.

I also like a pedicure and a good haircut but doing all of that every 6-8 weeks is a LOT. Hasn't this woman heard of wax strips that you can use at home? They are super simple and like $8 for a giant box. I usually get a pedicure 3-4 times a year because I enjoy it and wax eyebrows only 2-3 times a year ($6-8 a pop) and do maintenance at home in between.

Also, if you're change BFs as much she seems to be, why can't you just recycle the date outfits? Before I met my charming long-term bf, I had a go-to first date outfit that I always wore and then if date #2 showed up, I figured something out. It's like having that one interview outfit in the closet.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 04:19:55 PM »

Right?  I've never had mani, pedi, or waxing.  I had one facial, but it was a gift card from a boss who was thanking me for doing 2 persons jobs for 3 months while pregnant.  He didn't realize I wasn't into that stuff.
I thought the personal grooming sections was a great place to point out DIY options. I always have a pedicure but it's DIY and I likely spend less than $20 annually on any supplies I use.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 01:12:35 PM »
As a male, you want to let the other person know that you can provide. As a result, you might spend a little extra on dates. Then once the other person knows that you have your shit together it's not as important to do the expensive dates because you have already made that point. It's kind of a weird process.

Has any female been impressed with a frugal first date?

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 02:07:49 PM »
Absolutely. I'm not impressed by people spending money on me. I've been able to provide for myself for a long time, my instinct is not to look for a provider.

I haven't been on many first dates, but for the first date with my current BF, he came over to my house to cook me dinner. It was really nice, and he even let me keep the leftovers for the next day!

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 02:09:50 PM »
I have been unimpressed with spendy dates.  I think, "He's blowing $80 on a bottle of wine?  Not the kind of guy for me."  In both cases where the guy spent a lot of money, I later found out that he was making a fair amount of money but living hand to mouth — as you would expect from someone who was so spendy.  So no savings, no rationality about spending.  So unimpressive.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 02:15:18 PM »
As a male, you want to let the other person know that you can provide. As a result, you might spend a little extra on dates. Then once the other person knows that you have your shit together it's not as important to do the expensive dates because you have already made that point. It's kind of a weird process.

I've always found, if I went with a pricier first date option, the other person assumes that's the type of place we're going to eat at in the future as well. I've had way more success and fun going for coffee and a walk for first dates, than dinner. My age (low 20s) definitely contributes to this as well, but spending $70+ on a date 3-4 times a month as a single person is definitely not in the cards - nor, I think, will it ever be.

Additionally, do you really want to date the type of girl who feels she's entitled to an expensive meal on the first date, or there will be no second?

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 02:26:38 PM »
Also, I've discovered that the key to finding a good relationship is not impressing the other person — it's giving the other person an accurate depiction of who you are, in a good way, of course.  Do you want to end up with someone who likes men spending freely to impress her, or with someone who likes a man who has good judgment about money and wants to work together to achieve financial independence? 

The women are watching, too, to see what kind of man you are.  Do you want to discourage the financially adept woman with your free-spending ways, and encourage the one who wants big money spent on frivolities?  That's what lavish spending on the first date is likely to do.  I'm not saying to nickel-and-dime everything and show up with your brown-bag lunch and say "You didn't bring yours?  You can have half my peanut butter sandwich if you pay me back later."   There are ways of having a lovely time without laying out a ton of cash.  The smart woman will be watching to see if you think of ways to help make it a nice time, or if you just throw a ton of money at the experience.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 02:40:48 PM »
On that note, I had a lengthy conversation with a long-time female friend of mine. She had the opinion that a man should provide for the woman, and should splurge on her on their dates. I asked her how she would feel if her date asked her to go dutch (split the bill in half), and she said she would be insulted and definitely not consider another date. She has a decent job, very few expenses because she sublets with another friend who has subsidized housing, and can definitely afford her own meals. She would be willing to pay for a date or two somewhere down the line, but the man definitely had to pay for 99% of their dates.

Now some people are okay with the dynamic of "spoiling" your girlfriend/wife, but that just doesn't jive with me - especially if we're just getting to know each other. There are other ways to show your love for someone than throwing money at them.

Additionally, we're both working and likely in similar financial circumstances, why must one person pay lavishly for the pleasure of being in the other's company? That kind of attitude seems spoiled to me, and I definitely don't want to be dating someone who holds that point of view.

Interestingly, the person considers herself a feminist... The cognitive dissonance is strong in this one...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 02:43:29 PM by moe_rants »

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 07:23:06 PM »
I almost dated a guy with a huge amount of family money a few years ago.  We were friends (ish) and kind of circled around the dating thing on and off for awhile.  Our first and only actual date ended up being a semi-expensive meal and then walking around a huge upscale mall, where he tried to buy me stuff from Louis Vuitton and Coach and Tiffany's.   I'm totally not joking.  I didn't let him buy me anything, because it was SO WEIRD.  I would never in a million years spend that much on accessories!  Or any clothes, for that matter.  We drifted apart for awhile after that, then almost a year later he tried to reach out to me again.  He ended up offering to pay for the new laptop I was buying at the time, and when I shot that down, wanted to fly me to his hometown for a music festival and buy us VIP meet and greet type tickets, despite the fact that he totally hated the kind of music I was into.  In the course of all that, he mentioned how he'd been dating another girl who was thrilled for him to buy her sideline seats at an NFL game, even though he really wasn't into football.  I felt kinda bad for him because it was pretty clear that he had no concept of actual romantic love and had spent his entire life getting used by women like that girl...he made it so easy so I'm not sure I really blame them.  But he couldn't handle being told no and ended up getting kind of stalkery...I eventually got him to go away permanently (well, so far at least...hopefully) by literally screaming at him that all I ever wanted was to use him for his money -- ironically, I'm probably the only girl he's ever been interested in who DIDN'T want that. 

Anyways, yeah, lots of girls aren't into the provider thing.  Though there are days I look at my student loan balance and question my sanity...(not really, I love my husband and the rich guy was so off in other ways).

civil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 07:29:31 PM »

Heck yes! First date with current BF: we played soccer, my roommate made us all fajitas, and we all went exploring in the woods around base. Found a bunch of smushed cars, a really creepy smushed house, and fox kits! And yes, this was a planned date. (It helped that we lived within a 10-minute walk from each other on a commuter military base. It's not like there were restaurants to visit.) Just in case I needed to be impressed, he kicked my butt at soccer and that is saying something.

That said, I actually agree with your first paragraph. I know many women who write guys off for going somewhere "not nice enough" on a first date. It's a tough balance between trying to get past the first date and trying to avoid women who judge you like that. Or men - it goes both ways. Men have told me that I "belong to nobody" and they don't feel like I "need" them, because I offered to pay for my own meal and/or expressed a desire to eat somewhere less formal (mostly because I hate dressing up). I think that's good, but apparently I don't get more than one date because of it. Guess what? When that happens, I usually suggest a nicer place the next time and expect the guy to pay.

People are crazy.

civil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 07:39:16 PM »

Anyways, yeah, lots of girls aren't into the provider thing.  Though there are days I look at my student loan balance and question my sanity...(not really, I love my husband and the rich guy was so off in other ways).

+1

I love BF dearly, and his NW was something like -300K when we met (ugly divorce). I dumped the heir to the largest private landholdings in [my previous state] just before I met BF, and sometimes I look at our accounts and wonder if I have gone mad... but even though the rich guy was really nice and sweet, the provider attitude just didn't sit well with me.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 07:44:16 PM »

+1

I love BF dearly, and his NW was something like -300K when we met (ugly divorce). I dumped the heir to the largest private landholdings in [my previous state] just before I met BF, and sometimes I look at our accounts and wonder if I have gone mad... but even though the rich guy was really nice and sweet, the provider attitude just didn't sit well with me.

Yeah the attitude was super strange to me -- like, the concept that I would want to continue my education and not just like sit around at his condo all day was absolutely foreign to him.  Talk about being a kept woman -- I was *always* taught that I didn't need anyone but myself to provide for me!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 08:45:57 PM »
First dates that I went on usually weren't anything very expensive - the first date my husband and I went on was dinner at a Greek restaurant and then a movie at an older (and cheaper) movie theater.  This was about 9 years ago now.  Can't really remember before that, but nothing outlandishly spendy.  If someone had tried to buy a bottle of $80 wine I would have thought they were crazy. 

As to that other stuff - manicures etc., I get maybe 1 or 2 pedicures a year as a treat for myself.  No manicures or facials but I do get my eyebrows threaded every 6 -8 weeks or so.  Also, I've gone back to getting my hair done at a salon again.  For the last 6 months I had been going to a friend who worked out of her home as a hairdresser but it wasn't working out.  I am not thrilled about the expense but for now I'll keep going to a salon.   

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 08:53:28 PM »
Totally understand the provider thing, paying for the date also shows generosity. I think paying for coffee or tea on the first date will suffice though. Save the fancy dinner (maybe just once to show willingness to provide) for much later.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 08:51:12 AM »

Nah, if you want to show you can provide, just paying for the first date is enough, it doesn't have to be an expensive date (but if there is food involved, it should be delicious. It can be cheap, but it should be delicious. Haha.). And even then, it's not necessarily to show that you can provide, but it's a nice little nudge to show that you are romantically interested.

For our first official date, my boyfriend took me to a place which had a $4/pizza special on that night. Cost $19 all up for pizzas and drinks. And the day before we hung out and it cost nothing (unless you count public transport).

A person spending money doesn't necessarily show me they have their financials together. Now, if they have savings/investments and are self-sufficient, that's what I'm talking about! They don't even have to provide for me - that's an extra bonus if it's possible, but by no means a requirement - they just need to be able to provide for themselves.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 10:57:47 AM »
My Dh used to pick me up and take me to the beach where we would split a 6 pack and watch the waves come in. We still do that every year on our anniversary but now we split a bottle of wine. We're way classier now.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 11:19:49 AM »
My Dh used to pick me up and take me to the beach where we would split a 6 pack and watch the waves come in. We still do that every year on our anniversary but now we split a bottle of wine. We're way classier now.

+1, laughed at the "way classier now," and completely agree. Until a few months ago, I've loved beer and rarely drank wine, but now they are flipped as I can feel the effects of beer immediately and love drinking a glass of wine.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 09:14:12 PM »
I went on a lot of dates with guys I met on online dating sites and favored going out for coffee as a first date, since that way if we didn't really click I wasn't stuck hanging out with him for too long. I doubled down on this after agreeing to a lunch date and knowing within the first 30 seconds it was going to be a fiasco but staying through lunch hoping to somehow salvage victory.... But then I later agreed to another lunch date and it turned into an entire day together and that's the guy I ended up marrying. So I can't complain too much. I can't remember which of us paid, but personally I hate it when guys get really stuck in the role of provider/protector... I can take care of myself. I think either the person who asked/planned should pay (generally a good default policy), or if you don't know each other very well you should split, and if you planned it jointly then it could go either way... it also kind of depends on the cost and your relative financial situations.

surfhb

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 09:27:37 PM »
Believe it or not,  the most frugal first date for me was Los Alamitos Race Track.   Beers are cheap and a single bet is $2 and the hot dogs are world class.    Maybe $30 total spent

As a rule, she spends her own money for betting, it's fun to watch our horses come/almost come in first.....plus you get to see the kind of person they are.     Any woman who would think the races was a low class first date isn't the girl for me.   I need someone minus the stick up her ass. 

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 10:19:03 PM »
Lots of great stories of frugal first dates. Thank you all for sharing. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 02:43:18 PM »

+1, laughed at the "way classier now," and completely agree. Until a few months ago, I've loved beer and rarely drank wine, but now they are flipped as I can feel the effects of beer immediately and love drinking a glass of wine.

i hope you arent using glasses and just passing the bottle back and forth.  thats the way to do it!!

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 03:57:13 PM »
Best first date was from many moons ago when a woman asked me to run a 5K with her. Clueless as I was, I didn't read anything into it, but we hit it off and ended up dating for about a year.

I used to do a lot of those obstacle mud runs and I thought those would be a terrific first date -- either just the two of you or as part of a bigger group. My wife and I met when we were placed on the same team in a company-wide volleyball tournament. We probably wouldn't have met otherwise; it was a huge company.

These experiences kind of set the tone for me. Most of my good friends I train with and though we might go out for a drink or meal afterward, that's not the focal point. As always, experience over stuff/consumption.

It's worked for me anyway.

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 08:48:20 AM »
She did say pizza and beer at a mid-range restaurant, not jumbo slices and cans of bud light.

My last pizza date night with the SO at a nice but not fancy place in a high COL city:

- $28 for two $14 small pizzas we shared
- $10 for a starter salad
- $20 for four craft beers

$63.80 after tax, $75+ after tip. So that part of her spending log doesn't seem absurd to me. The real problem seems to be how often you go out for a meal like that versus how often you just stay home eating homemade pizza and splitting a sixer from the grocery store.

antarestar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 09:02:52 AM »

I totally get the provider mentality. For me, I want to know that you can support yourself and that I won't end up supporting a deadbeat.

My most recent first date was Taco Bell and Kill Bill. That was about 12 years ago and we are still going strong.
He tested me on that first date - opened the truck door for me so that I could get in the passenger side and then watched to see if I would lean over and unlock his door for him. And yes, I did pass that test.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 09:06:47 AM »
The secret to happiness is low standards! Here's my idea of Luxury Pizza Night. Hell, I think I'll do this tonight since I'm a temporary bachelor.

Totino's Party Pizza, Triple Meat Combo: $1
4-pack of Super Premium Craft Beer (in this case, Stone Ruination IPA): $12; except, I have 2 left over from my last round, so free.

Total immediate cost, a buck ($7 including funds already expended); total effort, 5 minutes to get up from couch once to sling pizza in oven and again to retrieve it. Why would I get in my car and drive across town to pay dozens of times more? >.<

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 09:31:52 AM »
He tested me on that first date - opened the truck door for me so that I could get in the passenger side and then watched to see if I would lean over and unlock his door for him. And yes, I did pass that test.

Apparently this is quite uncommon - I do this for friends on the rare occasions they give me a ride somewhere, and the typical response is "Oh, nobody's ever done that before!"

antarestar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2015, 11:07:07 AM »

Apparently this is quite uncommon - I do this for friends on the rare occasions they give me a ride somewhere, and the typical response is "Oh, nobody's ever done that before!"

Further proof that we are awesome.

Chuck

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »
Wow! Do other women really get facials, waxing, manicures, and pedicures EVERY SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS????
My wife does her own facials, but yes to the rest.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2015, 11:23:29 AM »
Wow! Do other women really get facials, waxing, manicures, and pedicures EVERY SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS????
My wife does her own facials, but yes to the rest.
Oh my god I'm trying so hard not to make that joke... how dare you set it up so blatantly >.<