Author Topic: Cyber begging for a house deposit  (Read 5971 times)

tukk323

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cyber begging for a house deposit
« on: November 04, 2017, 06:24:20 PM »
People trying to pull on emotions so others will help pay for their house.

https://www.pledgeme.co.nz/projects/5424-eco-architecture-a-build-for-a-young-couple

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: Cyber begging for a house deposit
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 01:50:43 AM »
Bahahahaaaa,

"However! We aren't expecting hands outs, read below:"

Yes you are. If they weren't expecting handouts they'd offer something in exchange. Maybe a few nights accommodation, or even repayment of the donations.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 09:03:58 AM »
Actually if you read, there are rewards for the different donation amounts, including free stay at the house.

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 01:36:52 PM »
Bahahahaaaa,

"However! We aren't expecting hands outs, read below:"

Yes you are. If they weren't expecting handouts they'd offer something in exchange. Maybe a few nights accommodation, or even repayment of the donations.

I read the first post of this thread, followed the link and copied the EXACT SAME sentence.

Actually if you read, there are rewards for the different donation amounts, including free stay at the house.

The rewards isn't in line with the expected donations, even for someone that isn't mustachian. If they offered good value, including risk and time between payment and cashing in on the reward in the offer, then they would be able to claim they don't expect handouts.

On another note, whats this thing with "young couple"? Since I joined this board i've followed several links that highlights this as something special.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 01:45:50 PM »
You know if I did such a thing my parents and family and friends would laugh me out of the room for thinking that strangers on the internet should pay for my down payment. I'm not saying that this wouldn't work but rather they would be very upset with me for not raising the money on my own but instead relying on handouts. I can't imagine how people have such differing values that they would do this, but then again that's what we see on GoFundMe and other sites.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 02:53:05 PM »
Yeah. I mean maybe I'm old and cynical but my response is, why should I care what YOUR dream is? It's your dream, you make it happen.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 03:09:32 PM »
It makes me curious thoughts. How did they get the first $25k? Did they get it from their parents? Save it up? Sell weed?

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »
If someone can't afford to buy a house, then they will also struggle to maintain a house. There are many costs associated with being a home owner. Houses are expensive even minus the house payments. I rented & lived in apartments until I was almost 40 years old. I didn't ask anyone to buy me a house or give me the money for the down payment.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 03:56:52 PM »

On another note, whats this thing with "young couple"? Since I joined this board i've followed several links that highlights this as something special.

They think they're special cuz they're getting married or just got married.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 08:38:20 PM »

One of them read too many bridezilla magazines and now they're both convinced that publicly agreeing to fuck is an event of such monumental and Earth-shattering importance that it elevates them to a higher moral plane than the one occupied by mere unwashed mortals. This is what justifies massive expenditures on the part of the guests, the people who wanted to attend the public agreement for darshana purposes but couldn't, the B-listers who were asked once the regrets started trickling in, and random paparazzi.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 07:44:29 AM »
Too bad they'll never know the satisfaction of earning it themselves. So sad for them. They'll never know the true joy that comes from setting and achieving an audacious goal on their own. You know, like FIRE.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 12:13:50 PM »
I just saw a facebook "friend" post a go-fund me for a house down payment.  This is a friend who is 40 and works at a fast-food restaurant for minimum wage, yet insists on eating out for every single meal.  He checks in at restaurants multiple times a day, and also makes posts about how life is so expensive and how he can't manage to save anything.  Now he posted a link to his go-fund me, saying that he and his wife have been married for 5 years and they are still renting a house, so it is time to buy one.  I don't know what is worse - the fact that he doesn't see the disconnect between why they are broke, or that he thinks the go fund me is appropriate, or that he thinks the $3000 goal he set is enough for a down payment.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 12:18:34 PM »
I just saw a facebook "friend" post a go-fund me for a house down payment.  This is a friend who is 40 and works at a fast-food restaurant for minimum wage, yet insists on eating out for every single meal.  He checks in at restaurants multiple times a day, and also makes posts about how life is so expensive and how he can't manage to save anything.  Now he posted a link to his go-fund me, saying that he and his wife have been married for 5 years and they are still renting a house, so it is time to buy one.  I don't know what is worse - the fact that he doesn't see the disconnect between why they are broke, or that he thinks the go fund me is appropriate, or that he thinks the $3000 goal he set is enough for a down payment.

Hope this doesn't sound judgmental, but how did he get to be 40 and working at a fast food restaurant? I'm just curious. What happened? There's nothing wrong with it, but fast food jobs don't pay much and most of those jobs are going to be automated soon, so it would be pointless to do this long term. And perhaps he's trying to do something else, but I think most fast food work is better for high school and college students. Just my opinion.  A waiter job at a decent restaurant where one could earn tips would even be better than fast food.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:20:19 PM by Chesleygirl »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »
Most fast food workers are now adults. The McDonalds near my office is full of people that are 40+ working there.

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 01:16:58 PM »

As someone who is "young" - yes these kids feel entitled to a home of their own, and they probably learned that entitlement on Grandma's knee. My parents, and my grandparents, are constantly asking me when I'm going to stop renting and get my own place. They're horrified that I'm in my 30s, still paying off student debt, and can't afford a mortgage. The way they wail at the Christmas dinner table you'd think I was being denied clean drinking water or something. Apparently a house of my own, with a half acre lot, is a necessity for every Canadian "young person".

"Young couple just starting out" is a phrase directly out of my Grandma's mouth. This fundraiser is targeting rich, older relatives/friends/acquaintances. If they're in a small town, they will probably raise some money from people who "want to see young people do well in the community".

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 01:39:41 PM »
I find this disturbing.  I have an acquaintance who is a lovely lady, in her 30s.  She works in a relatively low-paying field that she totally loves.  She is working on her degree at night.  I don't believe she gets full time hours for this job all the time (it is an hourly position).

So she picks up extra cash babysitting.  She's built quite the clientele, which is awesome.  But she's always posting about her side gigs to save up money to pay for her wedding.  Now.  I seriously doubt she's going to throw a big bash BUT my lord she eats out multiple times per week.  I doubt her friends are always treating her.  One day she made a comment on social media that she needs to wait to go grocery shopping until payday.  I didn't know whether I should say "come over, we have plenty" or "stop eating out so much".

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 01:58:08 PM »
I find this disturbing.  I have an acquaintance who is a lovely lady, in her 30s.  She works in a relatively low-paying field that she totally loves.  She is working on her degree at night.  I don't believe she gets full time hours for this job all the time (it is an hourly position).

So she picks up extra cash babysitting.  She's built quite the clientele, which is awesome.  But she's always posting about her side gigs to save up money to pay for her wedding.  Now.  I seriously doubt she's going to throw a big bash BUT my lord she eats out multiple times per week.  I doubt her friends are always treating her.  One day she made a comment on social media that she needs to wait to go grocery shopping until payday.  I didn't know whether I should say "come over, we have plenty" or "stop eating out so much".

When I was doing something similar I ate out waaay too often. I wasn't home much, and I was sharing the kitchen with eight other people. I mostly ate Ensure and Ramen noodles, then ate out once a day to get real meat + veggies.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 08:29:07 AM »

Hope this doesn't sound judgmental, but how did he get to be 40 and working at a fast food restaurant? I'm just curious. What happened? There's nothing wrong with it, but fast food jobs don't pay much and most of those jobs are going to be automated soon, so it would be pointless to do this long term. And perhaps he's trying to do something else, but I think most fast food work is better for high school and college students. Just my opinion.  A waiter job at a decent restaurant where one could earn tips would even be better than fast food.

This is incredibly common in semi-rural midwest areas.  In the area I grew up in, 5 small towns all attended the same school district (k-12 in 1 building) and out of a graduating class of almost 100 there were less than 10 of us who went to college.  All of us who went to college moved out of the area and have careers, but the rest stayed in the area and work minimum wage jobs at fast food restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, etc.  You have to drive at least an hour to get a "decent" restaurant fancier than Bob Evans, so even being a waiter/waitress doesn't make you much.  The high wage earners work at the factories, making $13-$18 per hour or work in construction during the summer.  In the past 10 years since we graduated a few of the others have gone to trade school to do things like HVAC but not many.  A few are lucky and will inherit the farm land that they currently work on, but for the vast majority their lives consist of working low-wage jobs, making babies, subsisting on Mt. Dew and Cigarettes (and increasingly opioids), getting drunk every weekend, and looking down on those of us who made something of ourselves.  It's frustrating that there is such a disconnect - they don't understand how their behaviors are causing them to stay in the place they are in.  They think you only make it in life if you are "lucky" and therefore changing their behaviors won't make their lives better, because it is already obvious they aren't the lucky ones.  So they end up being almost 40, or almost 60, working at a fast food restaurant without even $100 saved up in the bank.

-Ok, I'm stepping down from my soapbox now.