Author Topic: Crossfit at $200 a month...am I nuts?  (Read 16336 times)

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
Re: Crossfit at $200 a month...am I nuts?
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2015, 07:17:32 AM »
I suggest a more meaningful question is not "Am I nuts" but "how much more can I reach my goals with less cost?" If you can't do better and you can afford it, it makes sense. If you can do better for less, than it doesn't make sense to keep doing it.

I do burpees twice daily, plus abs (crunches and planks) and pull-ups and I rarely see people more fit, plus a healthy diet -- http://joshuaspodek.com/js_blogseries/burpees.

Total cost: $zero. Total time: a few minutes per day. Zero injuries in about four years of doing them daily.

Do you have needs beyond six-pack abs, decent muscles, no injuries, and only a few minutes per day? Because that's what I got for nothing. If not, I recommend saving 100% of the money. If so, what are the extra needs?

Need: To perform highly varied workouts that are challenging both in cardio and strength in a group setting with like-minded people of similar interests.

This fulfills the following goals: improve strength, improve cardio capacity, motivation to exercise, motivation to eat well, meet new people, make new friends, socialize daily. It's kind of a jack-of-all-trades gym.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2015, 02:46:08 PM »
I suggest a more meaningful question is not "Am I nuts" but "how much more can I reach my goals with less cost?" If you can't do better and you can afford it, it makes sense. If you can do better for less, than it doesn't make sense to keep doing it.

I do burpees twice daily, plus abs (crunches and planks) and pull-ups and I rarely see people more fit, plus a healthy diet -- http://joshuaspodek.com/js_blogseries/burpees.

Total cost: $zero. Total time: a few minutes per day. Zero injuries in about four years of doing them daily.

Do you have needs beyond six-pack abs, decent muscles, no injuries, and only a few minutes per day? Because that's what I got for nothing. If not, I recommend saving 100% of the money. If so, what are the extra needs?

Need: To perform highly varied workouts that are challenging both in cardio and strength in a group setting with like-minded people of similar interests.

This fulfills the following goals: improve strength, improve cardio capacity, motivation to exercise, motivation to eat well, meet new people, make new friends, socialize daily. It's kind of a jack-of-all-trades gym.

Also, burpees are the devil and my hat off to you sir for being able to do them consistently without wanting to poke your eye out with a rusty nail.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2015, 03:03:33 PM »

Also, burpees are the devil and my hat off to you sir for being able to do them consistently without wanting to poke your eye out with a rusty nail.

Correction, Thomas Edison is the Devil! As are little girls, football, astronomy, and whatever else momma says.

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2015, 03:59:20 PM »
Burpees are the best! And the worst.

I work at home and have to stay pretty self motivated so whenever I find myself drifting I hop up and do:
20 squats
20 burpees
20 squats
20 situps

repeat until you want to debug code more than you want to do burpees

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2015, 05:02:37 PM »
I did the real crossfit for about 4 months or so.
Plenty enough time to learn all the moves and concepts, and build a basic level of fitness with the motivation to actually push hard.

Then, when the introductory special was over, I canceled, and built a home gym

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2015, 07:16:53 PM »
Burpees are the best! And the worst.

I work at home and have to stay pretty self motivated so whenever I find myself drifting I hop up and do:
20 squats
20 burpees
20 squats
20 situps

repeat until you want to debug code more than you want to do burpees

Ooooo now that's brilliant.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2015, 01:30:45 PM »

You look at burpees like most Americans look at the lifestyle this community lives.

For me, not doing them would make me feel like buying a giant SUV or putting a lot of debt on a credit card. Maybe others consider it comfortable, but I've never been healthier and what's more important?

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2015, 02:22:59 PM »

You look at burpees like most Americans look at the lifestyle this community lives.

For me, not doing them would make me feel like buying a giant SUV or putting a lot of debt on a credit card. Maybe others consider it comfortable, but I've never been healthier and what's more important?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!