Author Topic: Crossfit at $200 a month...am I nuts?  (Read 16313 times)

sstants

• Stubble
Crossfit at $200 a month...am I nuts?
« on: July 17, 2015, 10:11:53 AM »
Calling all sane and insane mustachians for some hearty discussion.

I spend $200 a month to go to Crossfit and I LOVE it. I know Mrs MM was a crossfitter for a while but the MMs have a home gym now that has replaced the membership. I live in an 800 sq ft apartment in the city to keep costs down and so the BF can be close to work, so the home gym isn't an option for me.

Do any of you have similar expenditures on health/fitness that you aren't willing to get rid of?  Am I nuts for paying for this or is it worth it? I'm convinced it keeps me out of the doctors office way better than just running would (and I think MMM would agree). I'm sure there are other cheaper ways to get the same workout, but I love the guidance and training that I feel like I'm paying for. What do you guys think? Is there a place for something like this in a frugal budget or is it always a frivolous expense?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Crossfit at $200 a month...am I nuts?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 10:16:46 AM »
I thought $45 a month for a gym was too much, so I got rid of it.

For you
1) How much disposable income do you have? Could that $200 go to a much better use? Do you have debt to pay off? Are you fully funding the investments you prioritize?
2) Do you use it as frequently as you should to be paying that amount. To me- that would mean 5-6 days a week.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 10:21:11 AM »
Analyze the true cost of this and decide if it's worth it to you.
How long will this delay your other goals?
Are there better alternatives?
What impact does this have on your spending?  Saving?
Can you cut enough somewhere else to balance this out?
Are you truly getting enough satisfaction from this spending to justify it?
Those are the questions I have, and only you can answer them.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »
Well, I think Crossfit is nuts at $0 or $200 :-)

MrStash2000

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 10:28:13 AM »
Yes it is nuts.

You can walk or run for free

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 10:29:55 AM »
I crossfit and I am still a member at a crossfit gym although my focus has switched to weightlifting.

It's just one of those things, that if it's worth it to you, go for it.  Is it a luxury?  You bet it is.

One suggestion is to offer any skills you may have to the owner.  Most box owners are on a shoestring budget and try to manage everything themselves.  I know people at the gym I go to trade memberships for cleaning, web dev skills, social media management, new member management and customer relation type stuff.

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 10:36:10 AM »
My fixed monthly expenses are around $1700 including $1100 for rent and utilities and the crossfit membership. I don't have any debt or a car or a bike (just my own two legs) so there's no emergency to tend to. I've been maxing out my Roth IRA since I was a teenager (thanks for the advice dad!!). I guess the question is if the money could be put into an investment or savings account...absolutely, but should it if I like what I'm spending on?

It's interesting to see everyone's opinions! I think we could definitely all trim something here or there.

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 10:46:58 AM »
800 sq ft isn't that small. Do you have a spare bedroom where you can put some gym equipment? I have a power cage for 7' Olympic bars that has a chin-up station, plus a 2-tier dumbbell rack, and a treadmill all in an 8x11 spare bedroom. The treadmill folds up out of the way when I'm lifting and takes up no space at all.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 10:51:05 AM »

I spend $200 a month to go to Crossfit and I LOVE it. I know Mrs MM was a crossfitter for a while but the MMs have a home gym now that has replaced the membership. I live in an 800 sq ft apartment in the city to keep costs down and so the BF can be close to work, so the home gym isn't an option for me.

Do any of you have similar expenditures on health/fitness that you aren't willing to get rid of?  Am I nuts for paying for this or is it worth it? I'm convinced it keeps me out of the doctors office way better than just running would (and I think MMM would agree). I'm sure there are other cheaper ways to get the same workout, but I love the guidance and training that I feel like I'm paying for. What do you guys think? Is there a place for something like this in a frugal budget or is it always a frivolous expense?
800 sf seems big to me, but I live with 4 in 1146 sf.

Anyway, we have a YMCA membership (family) at $105 a month. I can afford it.  I like to swim.  We take the kids to the pool so they learn to swim.  It's worth it to me.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 10:52:30 AM »
Yes it is nuts.

You can walk or run for free
Well, I for one cannot run.

I do walk for free.

But walking =/= crossfit. 

I don't know exactly what crossfit *is*, i will admit. But from what I've seen here and there, it involves a lot of weight training?

Both things like walking and weight training should be a part of someone's routine.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 10:54:05 AM »

$40-100 is fair per month for a martial arts class.  If you think $200 a month for Crossfit is worth it and you're seeing results, then I hope you're two to four times as wealthy as the average martial arts enthusiast.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 11:13:13 AM »
I think it really depends on the other gyms available and what you are getting out of it. If the gym is very very well set up - you have a ton of good quality non-bent oly bars available, chalk is supplied in full, the other gym rats are of good quality, etc - then sure, it could be worth it, especially if the alternatives are planet fitness type facilities that absolutely cannot accommodate your style of lifting.

I have a home gym which paid for itself in about 2 years. Even with that, there are a few gyms that I would pay their $50/month to attend to get at things like atlas stones and ship chains (if it wasn't a 45+ minute drive).

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 11:20:11 AM »
It seems nuts TO ME, but I bet some of the things I spend money on would be nuts to you, so who knows?

A more important question is how does it fit into your overall budget? 

thek1d

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 11:26:53 AM »
It obviously is not a mustachian expense. If you are trying to justify it through the lens of MMM, I don't think you can. If you would like a mustachian alternative, check out Madbarz. They have a phone app with all body weight movements that can be done either with zero equipment or at a playground (or get creative).

If the $200/mo could go towards paying down debt, then that seems like the obvious alternative. However, if the other alternative for this money would be towards savings/investing and you are happy with what crossfit offers compared to reaching FI sooner - then who is anyone to say you are doing it wrong?

Personally I think CF is really interesting but their crazy fees keep me away from joining a box.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 12:02:05 PM »
Fellow Crossfitter here! Wife and I pay $225/mo for unlimited classes at our gym (that's $225 together, so $112.5 each). I had to defend this expense over and over again in my journal, and I still assert that the benefits are worth the cost to me. It's a way to exercise and stay healthy. It's a hobby that I enjoy. It helps me reach strength and fitness goals. It keeps me from plopping onto the couch all evening every day. It encourages better eating habits (eat terribly, feel terribly). It's the only place we interact with people outside of jobs.

We already max out both 401(k)'s and IRA's, and have a large emergency fund. Our highest interest debt is right around 4%. Based on our current savings rate and expected expenses in retirement, we are happy with our projected time to FI.

Don't forget that MMM is also about happiness; if you save in places that don't matter to you, you can spend in places that do.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 12:30:10 PM »

Don't forget that MMM is also about happiness; if you save in places that don't matter to you, you can spend in places that do.

+1.

There's a difference between price and value. If you believe that you get that level of value out of it, then go for it.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 01:03:32 PM »
CrossFit can be worth it for some who need the group motivation and enjoy the camaraderie.

But from a strictly bang-for-your-buck standpoint, it's a ripoff. It's easy to create your own WODs. Do lots of Burpees, pull-ups, push-ups, mountain climbers, etc. Do some Olympic lifting, toss a medicine ball against a wall of your house. Carry some weight plates up and down your driveway. If you don't want all of this at home, you can do all of this at a gym that might cost $35/month with better air conditioning and more equipment. Work some running intervals into the mix and you'll be ahead of most boxes, few of which do any running and then roll into Spartan Races and walk between obstacles. 

mohawkbrah

• Bristles
  • every day they see me hustling those pennies away
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 04:14:01 AM »
just pay $600 for a power rack and olympic weights and have a home gym that beats most commerical gyms

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 10:17:32 PM »
You have no debt, can easily afford the cross fit and still save a bundle of money. What are your goals? Does Cross fit meet them? If so, by all means go and have fun. Only you can answer this question.

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 12:24:29 PM »

if you really like it, you really like it; but you can do it at home. you already know the excercises, all you have to do is figure what muscles they are training and find weights you can buy and do at home.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2015, 12:42:10 PM »
You are nuts. The hole point of crossfit to be able to make your body work without any necessary expensive equipement?

$200 is ridiculous. It's more than all of our utilities, cell phones, internet, and YMCA membership for two adults, combined.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2015, 03:18:54 PM »
About 12% of your expenses are Crossfit. Or put another way, you'll need to save about 13% more to sustain your Crossfit membership in retirement than without it. About $60k in your scenario. Seems excessive to me.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 06:25:32 AM »
CrossFit can be worth it for some who need the group motivation and enjoy the camaraderie.

But from a strictly bang-for-your-buck standpoint, it's a ripoff. It's easy to create your own WODs. Do lots of Burpees, pull-ups, push-ups, mountain climbers, etc. Do some Olympic lifting, toss a medicine ball against a wall of your house. Carry some weight plates up and down your driveway. If you don't want all of this at home, you can do all of this at a gym that might cost $35/month with better air conditioning and more equipment. Work some running intervals into the mix and you'll be ahead of most boxes, few of which do any running and then roll into Spartan Races and walk between obstacles.

I'm in this camp.  However, I am an introvert and have no desire to train with a bunch of other people.  The group dynamic of crossfit doesn't appeal to me, but I understand that it is motivating for many people.  If I decided to work out in that style, I would just design my own exercises.  If you know that you wouldn't exercise at all if you didn't pay the money to do it, then you should probably continue doing it.  Health is worth spending money on. 

Caella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 06:56:49 AM »
It is high. But you already know that, or you wouldn't be here asking.

If it's "excessive", only you can answer.
Do you get $200 of enjoyment of it? If you feel like you do, keep going. If not, stop.

Personally, I spend almost that on some hidrobike classes. And would pay more, if needed. I go 5x/week for 2 years now, and the enjoyment and the health benefits far outweights the cost, for me. All my blood tests came on the 'optimal' range after I started, lost some fat, got some muscle. Can't complain. Of course, all my retirement accounts are fully funded, some money saved every month and zero debt. If your finances are in order and your hair is not on fire, spend on whatever makes you happy.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 07:22:08 AM »
I've paid up to $150/mo in the past for a small-group boot camp with similar workouts to Crossfit. It was worth it for the things I learned. Since I quit my fitness has dropped off some and I've been considering signing up again for a while. I'm mostly past the point of needing it for instruction, but the inspiration remains fairly valuable. To those with the willpower to do as much as they want to, or should to, kudos. Sometimes the rest of us are better at showing up and putting out the effort if we've already paid someone to structure and lead it.

I was actually thinking about this the other day and I think for me it's primarily a matter of mental energy. With a moderately engaging full-time job, multiple side gigs, and a whole lot of strategic calculation going on, it's a genuine struggle - not to actually make myself work out, but to be creative enough to plan and execute a quality workout. Putting a price on outsourcing that is obviously a matter of personal priorities and present conditions - I'd be less likely to consider another stint post-FIRE, but for now it might help me stay on top of the game physically so I can enjoy all those years of freedom later.

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2015, 07:44:50 AM »
Fellow Crossfitter here! Wife and I pay $225/mo for unlimited classes at our gym (that's $225 together, so $112.5 each). I had to defend this expense over and over again in my journal, and I still assert that the benefits are worth the cost to me. It's a way to exercise and stay healthy. It's a hobby that I enjoy. It helps me reach strength and fitness goals. It keeps me from plopping onto the couch all evening every day. It encourages better eating habits (eat terribly, feel terribly). It's the only place we interact with people outside of jobs.

We already max out both 401(k)'s and IRA's, and have a large emergency fund. Our highest interest debt is right around 4%. Based on our current savings rate and expected expenses in retirement, we are happy with our projected time to FI.

It seems like you feel like it is worth it as well! While I'm working out and feeling great/so sore for a day afterwords I don't regret the money spent one tiny bit! I know other boxes are more reasonably priced than mine, but that's what I get for living in a city; mine is actually one of the cheaper boxes around.

I'm jealous of all you folks with home gym space :) I live in a one bedroom apartment and use any extra square footage for my home office (I work from home full time so going to a gym is a huge social thing for me as well). As soon as the right house for us comes on the market, a home gym is definitely a priority. You guys are definitely right that it is a money saver in the long run.

bb11

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2015, 09:01:40 AM »
Yes you are nuts. :) I lift weights three times a week at the NYC City Recreation Centers for $100 a year, and then go running and play basketball once a week for free. So total cost is $100 annually (or what you pay every two weeks!) and I doubt you are in better shape than me.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2015, 07:47:27 AM »

I'm jealous of all you folks with home gym space :) I live in a one bedroom apartment and use any extra square footage for my home office (I work from home full time so going to a gym is a huge social thing for me as well). As soon as the right house for us comes on the market, a home gym is definitely a priority. You guys are definitely right that it is a money saver in the long run.

It has saved us a ton of money, but decent equipment can get expensive so the up-front costs can be a little jarring. I think that's my only gripe about it. I think we ended up putting over $3k into our home gym for a used treadmill, new cage, 2 bars (one good normal one and a 25 lb trainer bar for the kids), weights (down to fractionals), good bench, etc. and there's still quite a bit stuff I would like.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2015, 07:53:03 AM »
It's worth it if you use it and love it.

Some people won't work out at home, no matter how much of a fancy setup they have. Part of the lure of group fitness is the "group" part - you make friends and enjoy the social aspect, instead of silently lifting weights alone in your spare bedroom (yawn).

A friend recently gasped at our $90/month bootcamp bill for my husband (3 days/week), and my husband's defense was "well how much do you pay for your iPhone and cable? I pay zero, so I can afford the gym".

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
At least tell us you dont drive to crossfit.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2015, 05:05:53 PM »
I don't go to Crossfit, but something similar (An MMA/High Intensity Interval training thingy).

It depends on the personality you have.  I've tried working out at home and never had much ability to stay focused.  Ditto self-directed weight training at a traditional gym.

But for whatever reason, the fact that my workout is at a specific time, three days per week makes a big difference on my attendance.  I've been going for a long time, and missed only a couple times due to crises etc.  From a health and fitness perspective it's the perfect solution for me, and worth every penny (though in my case it's run by my business partner so I don't actually pay much).

If it is what works for you, and you aren't overly compromising other things like debt elimination and savings, then there is really no downside to improving and maintaining your health.  There is little point in dying young of a preventable disease with a healthy nest egg.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2015, 05:17:38 PM »
If you are going to spend money on something, health and fitness is probably a good thing to spend it on.

But yes . . . I think you are nuts. Probably I get just as much exercise through free events sponsored by meet up groups in my area (yoga, hiking, cycling, tennis, sand volleyball), and the gym most convenient to me has fitness classes of all types and weights/equipment as far as the eye can see for ~$30 per month.

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2015, 05:53:33 PM »
    There are better ways to use the $200 a month. But there are many, many far worse ways.  I was a member of two different places (two different towns that I lived in) until I got the motivations to keep fit by myself.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2015, 06:52:10 PM »
check out Madbarz.

This is awesome!!

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2015, 08:53:56 PM »
$2400/year is a significant piece of money to consider in most budgets. With that said, there are numerous decisions made here every day that are similar in scope. Dropping to a single car saves me at least 2400/year based on my estimates. I bike daily. Others drive, usually by choice instead of necessity. A single trip to Europe, Asia, or even a trip for two to the other American coast you don't live on can cost that. A purchase of a used camper or a house that fits just a few more of your criteria than the cheaper one you also considered. A used boat off CL. Some of these choices are recurring, similar to yours. Others are one-time purchases with smaller associated costs in the future.

In short, no one here can define happiness for you. So neither praise nor criticism really makes sense. We could find and repurpose $2400/year for most folks on this forum. Do what you enjoy. The Bible states it accurately--Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. But if you pay for it, give it 100%.

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2015, 07:16:57 AM »
I'm with jba302 on this one:
Buying a home gym is clutch and usually pays for itself within 1 to 5 years. That's a pretty solid ROI.
But, if you live in an apartment and that's not an option, it comes down to what you are passionate about.
If Crossfit makes you happy and passionate, then spend away! It just has to come with the knowledge that you must optimize a lot of other stuff to compensate or accept that FIRE will have to wait an extra year. Either way totally your decision. We can only provide our own, limited (from your perspective) views.
Thanks

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2015, 07:28:03 AM »
At least tell us you dont drive to crossfit.

I don't have a car!

sabertooth3

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2015, 08:04:03 AM »
It depends on the personality you have.  I've tried working out at home and never had much ability to stay focused.  Ditto self-directed weight training at a traditional gym.

But for whatever reason, the fact that my workout is at a specific time, three days per week makes a big difference on my attendance.

This is me, too. I just can't get in the zone at home or do self-directed workouts, it's too easy for me to just say "nah, I'll do this tomorrow". Having "appointments" and a schedule is what works for me. I have a free month of Crossfit at work right now but it'll go up to $95/month. I'm fine with that. Maybe once I get into it a little I'll cycle off and be able to do more self-directed, but this is what I need right now. And if this is what OP needs right now, don't let people here tell you that it's ridiculous.

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2015, 11:55:18 AM »

But for whatever reason, the fact that my workout is at a specific time, three days per week makes a big difference on my attendance.

This is me, too. I just can't get in the zone at home or do self-directed workouts, it's too easy for me to just say "nah, I'll do this tomorrow". Having "appointments" and a schedule is what works for me. I have a free month of Crossfit at work right now but it'll go up to $95/month. I'm fine with that. Maybe once I get into it a little I'll cycle off and be able to do more self-directed, but this is what I need right now. And if this is what OP needs right now, don't let people here tell you that it's ridiculous.

I'm happy for the criticism, but also for the alternative ideas and support! Sometimes it's just interesting to hear what financially like-minded people think of the most embarrassing parts of your budget.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2015, 11:06:15 AM »
Face Punch!   Yes you are nuts ---

I'm guessing that the social aspect is the biggie for you?   

You know the alternatives right?   HIT running,  biking,  TiaChi,  Yoga,  aerobics tapes,  boxing,  weight lifting at a real gym for like $25 a month.   etc.  etc..

I think what you need is a real social life.   You'll have to figure that one out on your own.   Have you considered Church?  Why for only 10% of your income (is that pre or post tax?)   you will have a bunch of ready made friends and a church pastor who really really cares about you.

Plus I had no idea that Crossfit was so expensive!    It must be like and Apple,  Nike,  Starbuck aspirational thingy?   Look around you next time you're there --- are people wearing Nikes while talking on their Iphones drinking Starbuck's?

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2015, 11:17:49 AM »

We've gone to gyms that were bare bones for 50 a month. Never used it. We couldn't go at the same time because there wasn't childcare and we weren't motivated enough to go separately.

Switched to a gym that costs 200 a month for two memberships and childcare, we went all the time (currently on pause until I find permanent work) as we had turned it into our date night; we'd go play racquetball while the kid went nuts in the playroom. It was the best 200 a month we spent as it kept our sanity, got us to move around, and got the kid to burn off some energy after being cooped up during the winter.

I don't think anyone else can tell you how much to value the motivation you get from doing crossfit/yoga/whatever vs a home gym. I'm firmly in the camp of if you can afford it, you use it, and it makes you happy, go nuts.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2015, 11:20:26 AM »

I think what you need is a real social life.   You'll have to figure that one out on your own.   Have you considered Church?  Why for only 10% of your income (is that pre or post tax?)   you will have a bunch of ready made friends and a church pastor who really really cares about you.

Cross fit would be a hell of a lot cheaper for me.  This isn't a good plan for anyone who net/grosses (depending on how you measure your tithe) more than $24k a year.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:22:37 AM by iowajes »

mpg350

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2015, 06:57:57 AM »

I think its way to much and you can buy some gym equipment get similar workouts for way cheaper.

But I think its ok to have one hobby or something that might cost money if you really get some real enjoyment out of it and its not hurting you financially in anyway. 

For me its mountain biking and for you maybe a $150 bike would be fine but my bike cost used $1,800...under $900 when I sold my old bike.
But that is my hobby and I love mt biking and it gives me alot of joy and the cost of the bike didn't hurt me financially at all.

I think the biggest rule is if can you afford it easily and you get enjoyment its ok to splurge a little on that one "hobby"

Now if you said you were living paycheck to paycheck and deep in debt then you would deserve a facepunch ha

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2015, 08:02:06 AM »
I have some home gym equipment, but have kept my gym membership because I tend to put in a better workout when I'm at the gym vs. in my basement.  I think trying to work out in an apartment would be even worse (worrying about noise, limited space to move, etc.).  However, my gym is pretty basic and runs me $18 per month, so less than 10% of the CrossFit membership.  If saving over $2K per year by working out at a plain-Jane gym instead of a CrossFit box would help you achieve your long-term goals, it might be worth considering.  Maybe you could get some friends to meet you there and help motivate each other a couple times per week if the social aspect helps you.  With that said, I spend an obscene amount on my horses and it doesn't bother me a bit because I'd rather work and have horses than be FIRE'd without them.

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2015, 01:56:38 PM »

You know the alternatives right?   HIT running,  biking,  TiaChi,  Yoga,  aerobics tapes,  boxing,  weight lifting at a real gym for like $25 a month.   etc.  etc..

Plus I had no idea that Crossfit was so expensive!    It must be like and Apple,  Nike,  Starbuck aspirational thingy?   Look around you next time you're there --- are people wearing Nikes while talking on their Iphones drinking Starbuck's?

Ooof, this one hurts! A real social life!? Dissin' ain't no way to make friends dude. I asked for you guys to call me crazy not uncool :)

I think the 'social aspect' of the gym that so many people talk about is really the support that you get on tough lifts and during crazy workouts. I think what I love the most is the positive environment where encouragement and guidance is given freely.

As MMM always says, we do need to acknowledge that we have insane luxuries in our lives. I'm grateful that I have things that could be cut if they needed to be!

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2015, 06:57:08 PM »
In the OP's defense, Crossfitters have more sex than us mere mortals. So they're saving money on hookers.

Gotta look at the whole picture.

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2015, 07:12:46 PM »

Ooof, this one hurts! A real social life!? Dissin' ain't no way to make friends dude. I asked for you guys to call me crazy not uncool :)

I think the 'social aspect' of the gym that so many people talk about is really the support that you get on tough lifts and during crazy workouts. I think what I love the most is the positive environment where encouragement and guidance is given freely.

As MMM always says, we do need to acknowledge that we have insane luxuries in our lives. I'm grateful that I have things that could be cut if they needed to be!

Either he is playing a dick, or is a dick. Ignore it.

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2015, 12:26:22 PM »
Watching the CF games right now. They are on ESPN, so enough people are paying in to get that coverage.

My view is always, whatever gets you off the couch is great.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2015, 03:12:54 PM »
I suggest a more meaningful question is not "Am I nuts" but "how much more can I reach my goals with less cost?" If you can't do better and you can afford it, it makes sense. If you can do better for less, than it doesn't make sense to keep doing it.

I do burpees twice daily, plus abs (crunches and planks) and pull-ups and I rarely see people more fit, plus a healthy diet -- http://joshuaspodek.com/js_blogseries/burpees.

Total cost: $zero. Total time: a few minutes per day. Zero injuries in about four years of doing them daily.

Do you have needs beyond six-pack abs, decent muscles, no injuries, and only a few minutes per day? Because that's what I got for nothing. If not, I recommend saving 100% of the money. If so, what are the extra needs?

sixup

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2015, 03:26:39 PM »
If so, what are the extra needs?

To deadlift 600.

But then again I'm not paying 200/mo for that.