Author Topic: Creed frontman Scott Stapp homeless  (Read 13481 times)

KodeBlue

• Stubble
Creed frontman Scott Stapp homeless
« on: November 27, 2014, 02:08:32 AM »
 “I had no money, not even for gas or food. I went two days without eating because I had no money and ended up in an emergency room.”

https://www.yahoo.com/music/s/creed-frontman-says-broke-living-holiday-inn-200402659.html

nirvines88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Creed frontman Scott Stapp homeless
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 08:02:25 AM »
It sounds like he needs someone to accept him with arms wide open.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 08:41:41 AM »
It's pretty clear to me that Scott Stapp is suffering from mental illness, probably related to his drug addictions.  My brother went through something similar.  It is acceptable in our society to mock and ridicule the mentally ill, because their diseases/conditions are usually not visible outwardly.  The USA has a very weak mental health system and it's usually hard for people to get the treatment they need.  It's especially hard when people purposefully try to make things worse for the mentally ill.  I hope Scott Stapp gets the help he needs.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 09:01:23 AM »

It's like he has been overcome with financial problems.  He needs to take one last breath and come in out of the rain, maybe reach out to a thousand faces and ask some tough questions . . . "What's this life for?  What needs to be my sacrifice to overcome this tragedy?  Won't anyone stand here with me?"  Hopefully, inside us all we can find a way to donate to take him higher.

nirvines88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 09:25:12 PM »

It's like he has been overcome with financial problems.  He needs to take one last breath and come in out of the rain, maybe reach out to a thousand faces and ask some tough questions . . . "What's this life for?  What needs to be my sacrifice to overcome this tragedy?  Won't anyone stand here with me?"  Hopefully, inside us all we can find a way to donate to take him higher.

Thank god I only recognized only 2 of your song references.  If more than 3 total Creed songs were wasting space in my brain I'd be as bummed out as Scott Strapp!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »
People believe that (famous) musicians make a lot of money, which isn't always true (especially if they don't own their publishing). I know that in the 70s, some well-known musicians had clauses in their recording contracts that forbade them from telling anyone how much (i.e., how little) they were being paid.

I didn't know who Creed were, had to look it up. 40 million albums sold, geez, you'd expect a little money to have stuck around.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 08:01:48 PM »
People believe that (famous) musicians make a lot of money, which isn't always true (especially if they don't own their publishing). I know that in the 70s, some well-known musicians had clauses in their recording contracts that forbade them from telling anyone how much (i.e., how little) they were being paid.

I didn't know who Creed were, had to look it up. 40 million albums sold, geez, you'd expect a little money to have stuck around.

Stapp's wife just filed with the court to have Stapp put on a 60 day psychiatric hold.  He's mentally ill.  He believes that God is talking to him and that the government is controlling his bank accounts.  He has serious problems.  I wish people would be a little more sensitive when talking about people who are seriously ill.  I rarely see people laughing at cancer patients, for instance, but they feel just fine cracking jokes about someone who needs to be hospitalized for mental illness.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 07:58:42 AM »

Stapp's wife just filed with the court to have Stapp put on a 60 day psychiatric hold.  He's mentally ill.  He believes that God is talking to him and that the government is controlling his bank accounts.  He has serious problems.  I wish people would be a little more sensitive when talking about people who are seriously ill.  I rarely see people laughing at cancer patients, for instance, but they feel just fine cracking jokes about someone who needs to be hospitalized for   mental illness.

+1  but it is probably OK to make fun of their music, lifestyle choices etc.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:23:20 AM by Sparafusile »

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 09:25:09 AM »
I didn't know who Creed were
  I rarely see people laughing at cancer patients, for instance, but they feel just fine cracking jokes about someone who needs to be hospitalized for mental illness.

Not sure if this was directed at me... I'm definitely not making fun. I was making a separate point, that we shouldn't assume that famous performers were all that rich to start with. And I honestly had never heard of the band before.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 06:13:47 AM »
He might have mental problems . . . his long history of drug/alcohol abuse likely played a part in the whole downfall as well.

myteafix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 11:43:34 AM »

Stapp's wife just filed with the court to have Stapp put on a 60 day psychiatric hold.  He's mentally ill.  He believes that God is talking to him and that the government is controlling his bank accounts.  He has serious problems.  I wish people would be a little more sensitive when talking about people who are seriously ill.  I rarely see people laughing at cancer patients, for instance, but they feel just fine cracking jokes about someone who needs to be hospitalized for mental illness.

So sad to hear about all the celebrities nowadays that have schizophrenic symptoms.

http://www.slacktory.com/2012/11/tila-tequila-conspiracy-theory-madness/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2601670/Amanda-Bynes-does-suffer-bi-polar-disorder-schizophrenia-mom-doesnt-want-admit-it.html

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »
Are Tila and Amanda really "celebrities"?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 01:43:50 PM »
Also why should anyone feel bad for a no talent attention whore like tila? 

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 03:08:19 PM »

Yeah that's a society problem.  For some reason we've progressed to the point where we don't make fun of people for being "crippled" anymore (yay!) but we do still make fun of people for mental illnesses (boo!).  That's what gets highlighted literally in the first 15 seconds of this video about mental illness:

Crash Course Psychology #29

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 05:03:58 PM »

There's one saying (ironically picked up from a romance novel) that I found really useful when considering whether to say or write something that other people can hear or read.

"True, Kind, Necessary and Helpful" if something I was about to say failed on all  four fronts then I would strongly reconsider whether to add it to the conversation.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 06:19:15 AM »

There's one saying (ironically picked up from a romance novel) that I found really useful when considering whether to say or write something that other people can hear or read.

"True, Kind, Necessary and Helpful" if something I was about to say failed on all  four fronts then I would strongly reconsider whether to add it to the conversation.

Wouldn't following that eliminate most jokes from your conversations?

KaizenSoze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 07:45:13 AM »
He might have mental problems . . . his long history of drug/alcohol abuse likely played a part in the whole downfall as well.

Drug and alcohol abuse is a common way for people with mental illnesses to self medication. It's a bad way, but it's very common.

For instance, 80% of schizophrenic smoke.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia_and_smoking

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 11:13:59 AM »

Wouldn't following that eliminate most jokes from your conversations?

Nah jokes are helpful and necessary (if not always kind or true), they make it a lot easier to get along with other people, .  I'm not terrifically good at day to day interactions   with other people so I find it helpful to have soem guidelines.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 12:38:50 PM »

Can't he argue that it's true, and possibly argue that it's helpful?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

OutBy40

• Stubble
    • ThinkSaveRetire.com
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 02:52:10 PM »
This only goes to show you that it's your lifestyle that matters, not how much you make.  Blow through it all on useless and stupid bullshit and you wind up no better off than that bank teller who saved as much as he or she could. 

Congrats, Scott - you've lived what has become the American dream.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 05:04:52 PM »

Helpful to who? 
I tend to see criticizing reality tv stars as punching down, they're pretty much the equivalent of the circuses in the old roman bread and circuses equation
http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3547#comic

If nothing else apparently this particular star has the talent of making FrugalNacho feel better about their life so no, neither true nor helpful (from my perspective anyhow).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »
We'll have to agree to disagree then.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 09:23:04 PM »
We'll have to agree to disagree then.

Fair enough =)

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »
It's pretty clear to me that Scott Stapp is suffering from mental illness, probably related to his drug addictions.  My brother went through something similar.  It is acceptable in our society to mock and ridicule the mentally ill, because their diseases/conditions are usually not visible outwardly.  The USA has a very weak mental health system and it's usually hard for people to get the treatment they need.  It's especially hard when people purposefully try to make things worse for the mentally ill.  I hope Scott Stapp gets the help he needs.

And then when they get good enough they get thrown back onto the street. Oh "compassionate" release...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 11:23:14 AM »

Helpful to who? 
I tend to see criticizing reality tv stars as punching down, they're pretty much the equivalent of the circuses in the old roman bread and circuses equation

If nothing else apparently this particular star has the talent of making FrugalNacho feel better about their life so no, neither true nor helpful (from my perspective anyhow).

So do your 2 comments here fall under true, kind, necessary, or helpful? I can't quite place them.  Or are they supposed to meet all 4 qualifications?  Also am I reading that wrong, or did you simultaneously insult reality tv stars and me (for slamming reality tv stars) in the same sentence?

Either way tila is an attention whore, I don't understand how you can dispute that.  I also feel she adds zero value to society (in fact I think she adds negative value for being a terrible role model), but that's just my opinion. 

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 05:03:05 PM »

Helpful to who? 

So do your 2 comments here fall under true, kind, necessary, or helpful? I can't quite place them.  Or are they supposed to meet all 4 qualifications?  Also am I reading that wrong, or did you simultaneously insult reality tv stars and me (for slamming reality tv stars) in the same sentence?

Either way tila is an attention whore, I don't understand how you can dispute that.  I also feel she adds zero value to society (in fact I think she adds negative value for being a terrible role model), but that's just my opinion.

From my perspective my comments were true  (of course from your perspective they aren't), I honestly don't mean to insult reality tv stars, just the industry that creates and promotes them.

I don't mean to imply that they're all victims either, just that from an outsiders perspective a lot of reality tv  seems to set people up to be hated and reviled as a kind of scapegoat for the viewers and that, like other forms of consumption, the relationships seems to be unhealthy for both the "stars" and the viewer.

I just really really hate the term attention whore  and even if I didn't hate it, I don't think that someone obsessively craving the attention of others is grounds for not feeling bad  for them if they are suffering from crippling mental illness.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 12:15:25 PM »
Honestly the saddest part of this is that he has no loved ones to turn to (if it's mental illness).  You would think after all they has gone through in his career he would have quite a few close connections... but nope... nothing.  Very very sad.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 12:27:42 PM »

Helpful to who? 

From my perspective my comments were true  (of course from your perspective they aren't), I honestly don't mean to insult reality tv stars, just the industry that creates and promotes them.

I don't mean to imply that they're all victims either, just that from an outsiders perspective a lot of reality tv  seems to set people up to be hated and reviled as a kind of scapegoat for the viewers and that, like other forms of consumption, the relationships seems to be unhealthy for both the "stars" and the viewer.

I just really really hate the term attention whore  and even if I didn't hate it, I don't think that someone obsessively craving the attention of others is grounds for not feeling bad  for them if they are suffering from crippling mental illness.

Sounds like you are a hypocrite and an asshole.  That's just my opinion though.

MOD EDIT: Refrain from personal attacks.  Read forum rule #1.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:37:46 PM by arebelspy »

myteafix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »
Are Tila and Amanda really "celebrities"?

Depends on your definition, I guess. Maybe "washed up celebrities" is more appropriate, since both of them have already passed the height of their fame.

Because she is a human being who hasn't harmed anyone and who's suffered from a seemingly severe mental illness. Seems pretty clear to me.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2014, 09:36:39 PM »
He made 1.5 million in royalties last year...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 08:43:24 AM »

Because she is a human being who hasn't harmed anyone and who's suffered from a seemingly severe mental illness. Seems pretty clear to me.

Well I think that's up for debate.  She's a pro-hitler, anti-semitic, porn star.  She has no redeeming talents from what I can tell, and is a terrible role model (and yes, some young impressionable people do consider her a role model).  I would argue she adds negative value to society. 

myteafix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 03:39:22 PM »

Well I think that's up for debate.  She's a pro-hitler, anti-semitic, porn star.  She has no redeeming talents from what I can tell, and is a terrible role model (and yes, some young impressionable people do consider her a role model).  I would argue she adds negative value to society.

Pro-Hitler and anti-Semitic I did not know. Those are definitely points against her. I'm not sure how being a porn star is inherently negative, but I guess we'll have to disagree on that one.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 07:19:24 AM »

Pro-Hitler and anti-Semitic I did not know. Those are definitely points against her. I'm not sure how being a porn star is inherently negative, but I guess we'll have to disagree on that one.

You can't see how selling your body for money, and having it filmed for the world to see, makes you a bad role model?  I don't so much have a problem with the porn star aspect except that she isn't a porn star first, she is a myspace semi-celebrity that parlayed that into a reality show and parlayed that into a porn career.  She can do what she wants, but I think she is an absolutely terrible role model.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 07:39:33 AM »
You can't see how selling your body for money, and having it filmed for the world to see, makes you a bad role model?

No.  But you and I probably value things differently.

I don't so much have a problem with the porn star aspect except that she isn't a porn star first, she is a myspace semi-celebrity that parlayed that into a reality show and parlayed that into a porn career.

That sort of entrepreneurship makes me actually kind of like her*.  The same way a recent Mark Manson article made me have respect for one of the Kardashian sisters: http://markmanson.net/attention

Not that it was trying to, but someone who realizes where the puck is going and can leverage themselves to take advantage of people's thirst for stupid shit?  Well done.

*Disclaimer: I had never heard of her before this thread, and still am not 100% sure on who she is.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 08:13:14 AM »
You can't see how selling your body for money, and having it filmed for the world to see, makes you a bad role model?

No.  But you and I probably value things differently.

I don't so much have a problem with the porn star aspect except that she isn't a porn star first, she is a myspace semi-celebrity that parlayed that into a reality show and parlayed that into a porn career.

That sort of entrepreneurship makes me actually kind of like her*.  The same way a recent Mark Manson article made me have respect for one of the Kardashian sisters: http://markmanson.net/attention

Not that it was trying to, but someone who realizes where the puck is going and can leverage themselves to take advantage of people's thirst for stupid shit?  Well done.

*Disclaimer: I had never heard of her before this thread, and still am not 100% sure on who she is.

So you'd be fine with your children aspiring to be like Tila and adopting her as a role model?

The same way I can respect hitler for all that he accomplished.  The man was on a different level than me, and I couldn't achieve what he did even if I tried.  He was a master of his art.  However I don't think that makes him a good role model. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 08:23:21 AM »
So you'd be fine with your children aspiring to be like Tila and adopting her as a role model?

With the caveat that I don't know much about her beyond what you posted: yes.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2014, 08:30:33 AM »

Interesting.  Then who would you NOT want your children to idolize and aspire to be like?  What criteria would make you say "that's a terrible role model, I sure hope my children adopt them as a role model"?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2014, 08:32:44 AM »

Interesting.  Then who would you NOT want your children to idolize and aspire to be like?  What criteria would make you say "that's a terrible role model, I sure hope my children adopt them as a role model"?

I don't really believe in the concept of role models, I guess.

But whatever my kids choose to be is fine with me, be it porn star, ruthless dictator, office drone, or otherwise.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2014, 08:43:04 AM »

I don't really believe in the concept of role models, I guess.

But whatever my kids choose to be is fine with me, be it porn star, ruthless dictator, office drone, or otherwise.

What do you mean you don't believe in the concept of role models? You don't personally follow any role models at any point in your life (I find that difficult to believe)? Or you don't think anyone should model their own life based off of another person?

I also have a hard time believing that whatever your kids choose is fine by you.  I mean, sure you will love them no matter what, but you honestly have no preference between them choosing to be upstanding and honest citizens, or heroin addicted serial killers?  You wouldn't perhaps try to intervene and guide them towards the type of person that will be happier, more productive, and more of a benefit to society?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2014, 08:53:30 AM »
What do you mean you don't believe in the concept of role models? You don't personally follow any role models at any point in your life (I find that difficult to believe)? Or you don't think anyone should model their own life based off of another person?

I don't know if anyone "should" or not.

I haven't (though that's apparently difficult to believe?  Up until this moment I though "role models" were things people talked about in theory, but no one actually tried to live like some other specific person or emulate them; you're making me question that), so I guess maybe I just don't really understand it?

I also have a hard time believing that whatever your kids choose is fine by you.  I mean, sure you will love them no matter what, but you honestly have no preference between them choosing to be upstanding and honest citizens, or heroin addicted serial killers?  You wouldn't perhaps try to intervene and guide them towards the type of person that will be happier, more productive, and more of a benefit to society?

Of course I'll try to guide them, to what I think will be the most beneficial life for them and everyone else. That doesn't mean I'm not okay with them making other choices.

Are you really planning to dictate your child's life and then be upset when they make other choices? (Not trying to straw man, but that's what it sounds like, crazy as it seems to me.)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2014, 09:12:01 AM »

I don't know if anyone "should" or not.

I haven't (though that's apparently difficult to believe?  Up until this moment I though "role models" were things people talked about in theory, but no one actually tried to live like some other specific person or emulate them; you're making me question that), so I guess maybe I just don't really understand it?

MMM is a role model.  Many here try to emulate him.  Not everything he does, but a lot of what he does.  The same can be said for a ton of other people.   My father also has some great qualities, and I like to think that over my life time I have picked up on that and emulated his best and most outstanding qualities, and in turn that has made me a better person.  I don't model every aspect of my life to mimic any one person, but I definitely aspire to be like many different people in certain ways, because those people are better than me in those ways. 

Of course I'll try to guide them, to what I think will be the most beneficial life for them and everyone else. That doesn't mean I'm not okay with them making other choices.

Are you really planning to dictate your child's life and then be upset when they make other choices? (Not trying to straw man, but that's what it sounds like, crazy as it seems to me.)

I'm not going to dictate their life, but I may be upset at some of the choices they make.  I won't be upset if they decide to be an art major instead of an engineer, or if they are gay (yes I realize this isn't a choice), or decide they want to live on a farm in ohio - they can do what they please, it's their life and I will be happy for them.  However, if they choose to steal money, shoot heroin, and murder people then yes I will be very disappointed in the decisions they made.  And if that is the path they are going down I will actively try to steer them towards what I think is right.  But most of all I will try and be the best person I can possibly be, and I will lead by example.  I will try to be the kind of person that makes them want to model their life and values after my own.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2014, 09:22:31 AM »
Observing your child developing an extreme affection for and pride in nazism and not attempting to dissuade this would be bad parenting.  Nudging your child in a better direction when he or she seems to be heading down the wrong path should really be your primary goal when raising a kid.  This is quite distinct from dictating what the child can think and controlling all the choices they make in their life.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2014, 09:53:22 AM »
Observing your child developing an extreme affection for and pride in nazism and not attempting to dissuade this would be bad parenting.  Nudging your child in a better direction when he or she seems to be heading down the wrong path should really be your primary goal when raising a kid.  This is quite distinct from dictating what the child can think and controlling all the choices they make in their life.

I absolutely agree.

But there's a difference between trying to influence something and being disappointed if that thing doesn't happen.

The first is within your control.  The second is not.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2014, 12:35:23 PM »

This is absolutely beautiful...I'm going to steal this one for my own use, if you don't mind.