Author Topic: Couple sells everything for boat.. it sinks on day 2  (Read 7699 times)

M5

• Stubble
Couple sells everything for boat.. it sinks on day 2
« on: February 11, 2018, 11:11:15 AM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/couple-sells-everything-for-sailboat-it-sinks-on-day-2/ar-BBIXLNR?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

"Even with no savings and no place to live, the couple said they're not giving up on sailing again one day."

No back-up plan or money reserved? Great idea

Tass

• Magnum Stache
Re: Couple sells everything for boat.. it sinks on day 2
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 11:31:30 AM »
This is the saddest part:

Broadwell and Walsh left Colorado last year after selling off all their belongings, including a car, to buy Lagniappe for $5,000.

They had to sell all their belongings to get $5k together.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »
There's just so much wrong with this story...where to even start?

But hey, at least the pug appears to be well cared for.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 01:08:46 PM »

Broadwell and Walsh left Colorado last year after selling off all their belongings, including a car, to buy Lagniappe for $5,000.

And it took another year of saving to get together another $5000 to get it ready to sail :O

Not  a great idea to sail in 9 foot of water...

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 01:17:25 PM »

Lots of first timers feel like it's safer to sail in shallow water, or fly at lower altitudes.  NO!

There's probably a life metaphor in there somewhere.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 02:26:55 PM »
I'm not a sailor, but did they not basically run it aground? Personally probably wouldn't set out for a life at sea unless I knew a whole lot more about sailing and boats.....

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 03:47:54 PM »
I'm not a sailor, but did they not basically run it aground? Personally probably wouldn't set out for a life at sea unless I knew a whole lot more about sailing and boats.....

Makes you wonder if they even knew how to read ocean charts or navigate without a GPS!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 04:03:36 PM »

Makes you wonder if they even knew how to read ocean charts or navigate without a GPS!

They appear not to have known the draft of their boat - is that what the depth of the boat and hull etc is called?? Kind of like those professional truckies that manage to drive into bridges.... that always strikes me as a bit weird.

My impression, as a non sailor, is that the whole ocean navigation thing is a big deal, and the whole boat experience is rather complicated and requires a lot of knowledge and resourcefulness. I mean, I've seen "All is Lost"! Not quite the same as driving a P class around the harbour on a sunny day.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 04:38:23 PM »
They didn't even understand the navigational buoys!  They really shouldn't have been on the water by themselves. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 09:26:11 PM »
Unsurprisingly: https://www.gofundme.com/new-sailing-life

More surprisingly, they're at $9284 of $10,000 goal.

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 12:02:17 AM »
An old saying for boat owners is you have two happy days: the day you buy it and the day you sell it. Sinking it is not number three.

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 02:30:49 AM »
Was gonna post this article here, but looks like you beat me to it!

There's some hilarious quotes here:
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/02/11/couple-sells-all-possessions-for-sailboat-sinks-2-days-into-trip.html

Nikki Walsh, 24, and boyfriend Tanner Broadwell, 26, decided nearly a year ago that they were tired of working.

“How can we live our lives when we’re working most of the day and you have to pay so much just to live?” Walsh, who booked timeshare tours for a living, said to the New York Post.

“Most of the work you do goes to your home. There has to be another option,” she added.

So, the Colorado couple sold all their furniture and their SUV and purchased a 49-year-old boat in Alabama to live on and eventually sail the world in.

Ok, so they want to retire early! Awesome! But then it turns out they only had $5K? And they spent it all on a sailboat? So they could travel the world? With no additional savings??? And of course they sunk the boat. ROFL

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 03:08:28 AM »

And it took another year of saving to get together another $5000 to get it ready to sail :O

And they didn't use that year to become expert sailors and navigators. 

And of course they had no insurance and no want the GoFundMe universe to fund their stupidity, hubris, and recklessness. 

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 06:39:24 AM »
Was gonna post this article here, but looks like you beat me to it!

There's some hilarious quotes here:
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/02/11/couple-sells-all-possessions-for-sailboat-sinks-2-days-into-trip.html

Nikki Walsh, 24, and boyfriend Tanner Broadwell, 26, decided nearly a year ago that they were tired of working.

“How can we live our lives when we’re working most of the day and you have to pay so much just to live?” Walsh, who booked timeshare tours for a living, said to the New York Post.

“Most of the work you do goes to your home. There has to be another option,” she added.

So, the Colorado couple sold all their furniture and their SUV and purchased a 49-year-old boat in Alabama to live on and eventually sail the world in.

Ok, so they want to retire early! Awesome! But then it turns out they only had $5K? And they spent it all on a sailboat? So they could travel the world? With no additional savings??? And of course they sunk the boat. ROFL

Best quote I've seen so far:

"It's a good thing some black people didn't pull this."

"yep, BLM would be howling it was racist that the boat sank"

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 06:53:54 AM »
GoFundMe - enabling stupidity since 2010.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 07:24:11 AM »

They appear not to have known the draft of their boat - is that what the depth of the boat and hull etc is called?? Kind of like those professional truckies that manage to drive into bridges.... that always strikes me as a bit weird.

My impression, as a non sailor, is that the whole ocean navigation thing is a big deal, and the whole boat experience is rather complicated and requires a lot of knowledge and resourcefulness. I mean, I've seen "All is Lost"! Not quite the same as driving a P class around the harbour on a sunny day.

It's possible they knew the draft (although I'm skeptical).  They clearly didn't know where they were though, and it doesn't make a difference how much you know the draft if you think you're in a different location which is deeper.  It apparently didn't occur to them that it was very bad that the markers appeared "wrong" and they should figure it out before proceeding.

Reminds me of a story: A "sailor" calls up the Coast Guard and says he's lost.  They ask his last known position.  The guy responds "I'm by the U".  The CG, thinks initially that this must be a local name for feature.  They ask a few more questions to figure it out.  "The U in Gulf ".  Now they're wondering if they have a call crossed from a different area, the Gulf of Mexico, which happens every so often.  Eventually it comes out that he was by the U in "Gulf Oil" on a gas station map.  No chart, telling him depths, buoy, navigation hazards, etc.  No, a rinky dinky map providing nothing useful in the way of information.

The only saving grace to the Go Fund Me is that it's actually to remove the boat, which is a hazard to navigation.  You can think they are dumbasses (because they are) and still might want to fund the boat removal for the sake of the environment/other boaters, etc.  Sadly they are up to $11k now, so they have $1k to fund a new boat.

Don't get me started on the move All is Lost.  First sign of issues with that movie - in the first few minutes, this reportedly experienced sailor tacks his boat to port so the starboard side hole is leaning into the water (rather than keeping it on the high side).  Watching it with a friend and we both gave each other the dumbfounded "what?" look as we realized we may have made a bad movie choice.  Like this duo, he was ill prepared.  Here's some sailors listing the issues: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/152338-all-is-lost-spoilers-mistake-list/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:48:40 AM by Captain FIRE »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 07:31:40 AM »
The situation makes me wonder if they had a plan for how they would buy food and whatnot while they traveled the world. Either need a cash flow source or a savings account to eat.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 04:20:37 PM »
More from the Daily Mail (take w/grain of salt):
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5374453/Couple-sailboat-rescued-lose-boat-sinks.html

Neither Broadwell nor Walsh had any boating experience, but that didn't stop them from buying the 49-year-old vessel from Alabama, last April.

The couple had zero sailing experience, but Broadwell's father helped them get from the point of purchase to their eventual launching location.

And that, boys and girls, is how *not* to realize your dreams of adventure.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 12:06:34 AM »
Could have been worse, at least they decided to buy a boat and not learn to sail rather than buying a plane and not learning to fly.  And props for having a radio and knowing how to call for help.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 12:12:16 AM »
Could have been worse, at least they decided to buy a boat and not learn to sail rather than buying a plane and not learning to fly.  And props for having a radio and knowing how to call for help.

A journo mate once interviewed a 17-year-old kid from western Sydney who had announced his plan to fly around the world.

My mate headed out to the airport with a photographer in tow only to discover the kid had no licence (hadn’t even applied for his PPL), no plane and no funding.

The plan had some massive fucking holes in it.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 02:06:49 AM »

A journo mate once interviewed a 17-year-old kid from western Sydney who had announced his plan to fly around the world.

My mate headed out to the airport with a photographer in tow only to discover the kid had no licence (hadn’t even applied for his PPL), no plane and no funding.

And yet we regularly encourage youngsters to follow their dreams. The planning bit hasn't sunk in, apparently.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 02:29:43 AM »

And yet we regularly encourage youngsters to follow their dreams. The planning bit hasn't sunk in, apparently.

Interesting use of language, actually, that's it's always "follow" your dreams (an essentially passive word where the dreams do all the work and you just have to tag along) rather than something like "chase" or "journey towards".

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 02:38:00 AM »

Interesting use of language, actually, that's it's always "follow" your dreams (an essentially passive word where the dreams do all the work and you just have to tag along) rather than something like "chase" or "journey towards".

Interesting use of language. I think it sank in quite well.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 09:25:02 AM »

Interesting use of language. I think it sank in quite well.

I sea what you did there.

MoStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 04:51:42 AM »
http://www.tampabay.com/news/Couple-whose-dream-boat-sank-gets-a-bigger-better-boat-for-a-buck_165898742

These knuckleheads again. I imagine we'll be footing the bill for a Coast Guard search and rescue soon enough.

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 12:51:11 PM »
http://www.tampabay.com/news/Couple-whose-dream-boat-sank-gets-a-bigger-better-boat-for-a-buck_165898742

These knuckleheads again. I imagine we'll be footing the bill for a Coast Guard search and rescue soon enough.

Especially considering they are headed to Key West next.. from what i understand, there are plenty of treacherous areas to navigate around before you pass the Dry Tortugas and can turn towards Key West.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 03:59:09 PM »
I mean, they don't deserve the harassment they've apparently faced. One would hope the boat sinking would have taught them their lesson. But:

...heard from a publisher interested in buying the rights to their story.

What's the story?!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 04:30:08 PM »
I mean, they don't deserve the harassment they've apparently faced. One would hope the boat sinking would have taught them their lesson. But:

...heard from a publisher interested in buying the rights to their story.

What's the story?!

Gulligan's Island: a tail of epic failure on the water.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 06:05:06 PM »
The new boat for a dollar is like giving an alcoholic a beer until he can get to rehab. Hopefully Darwin will work his magic once and for all. I feel bad for the dog.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 01:21:38 PM »
The retired doc is the smart one. Sensed an easy opportunity to get rid of his old boat. And some free media publicity.

ETA: This was local to me. @sol you are correct, marina fees are very high. And storage/dry docking, and maintenance too.

Those guys sailing down the coast to the FL Keys. I expect them to be popping up in newspapers with more 'incidents'. Entertainment.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:04:54 AM by jinga nation »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2018, 01:54:32 PM »
Sailboats selling for a dollar is actually a pretty common occurrence.  They are expensive to maintain and to moor, and a neglected boat can easily need tens of thousands of dollars of work before it is safe to sail.  If you're already losing $500/month to the marina and can't afford the upkeep, giving it away for a dollar can be the smartest move.  Especially in places like the PNW, where there are always several hundred boats for sale, many for less than the cost of one year's moorage.