Author Topic: Costs of Living in an Expensive Neighborhood  (Read 2004 times)

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
Costs of Living in an Expensive Neighborhood
« on: March 22, 2019, 03:54:00 PM »
Reminded me of the other thread on the marketwatch retirement formula:

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/building-wealth-while-living-in-an-expensive-neighborhood/

I think this is a lot more level headed than the marketwatch article, but similar concept.  I actually agree with most of what the author wrote, unlike the marketwatch one.

I also think it makes sense to buy into a community you feel comfortable in, even if you could afford something a lot more expensive.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:56:26 PM by Montecarlo »

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Costs of Living in an Expensive Neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 08:47:31 PM »
These articles are kind of inspiring me to buy a really fancy house and drive really old beater cars. Ok, not really.

But I suspect people would think we are even more poor if we did that than drive the same vehicles in a smaller house...

draco44

• Pencil Stache
Re: Costs of Living in an Expensive Neighborhood
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 09:16:57 PM »
Thomas J. Stanley gets into this topic a lot in one of his follow-up books to The Millionaire Next Door, called Stop Acting Rich. Like the article you cite, his argument mostly centers on the idea that all neighborhoods will have residents with a certain range of wealth, and that if you pick a neighborhood where you are wealthier than most of your neighbors and can comfortably afford to be where you are, then you'll feel less pressure to spend to keep up appearances.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!